GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Greybriar on June 12, 2015, 11:15:21 AM

Title: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Greybriar on June 12, 2015, 11:15:21 AM
I have purchased a number of games so far during the Summer Sales. Some were in genres I don't usually play but which looked like they would be fun; none were as much fun as I'd hoped.

When I saw the Humble Bundle: Retroism (https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly), I couldn't pass it up despite owning the retail boxed versions of all but one of the games featured. Of the eight games, Command H.Q. (http://retroism.com/command-h-q/) caught my attention first--it was one of my favorite beer-and-pretzels games back in the day. I find it to be an entertaining game today, 25 years after it was released.

How about you? What is your favorite of the games you've purchased in this year's Summer Sales?
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: JasonPratt on June 12, 2015, 03:07:29 PM
I haven't played anything I bought on sale yet, but from past experience I strongly suspect Far Cry 4 will be the most satisfying overall.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: bbmike on June 12, 2015, 04:38:50 PM
Like Jason I haven't played any of the new games yet but it was nice to pay only $2.49 for Europa Universalis: Rome - Gold Edition and $7.49 for Space Hulk - Ultimate Pack. I'm also picking up several games I've wanted for a while for less than $10.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: DennisS on June 12, 2015, 05:04:33 PM
Oddly...a turn based soccer game, Football Tactics. GREAT fun. Very accessible, but with a surprising amount of depth.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Gusington on June 12, 2015, 05:39:32 PM
So far IL21946 for 2.49.

Considering Wasteland 2 for 19.99 right now.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: MengJiao on June 13, 2015, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2015, 05:39:32 PM
So far IL21946 for 2.49.

Considering Wasteland 2 for 19.99 right now.

  Mig15bisBeta:

Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Skoop on June 13, 2015, 03:05:48 PM
Ditto on the mig-15 as well, completes my Dcs collection. 

Bumbed the arma 3 dlc isn't on sale.  I'm on a an arma binge right now, but 24 bucks for dlc is not going to fly.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Gusington on June 13, 2015, 03:39:08 PM
^I see what you did there.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2015, 04:14:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific

It looks and sounds delicious. But I don't think it is expected until 2016.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 13, 2015, 04:14:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 13, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Big new arma 3 update coming soon, new environment - South Pacific

It looks and sounds delicious. But I don't think it is expected until 2016.

Gadzooks, I didn't realise it was that far out
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: DoctorQuest on June 13, 2015, 08:05:49 PM
I picked up Lego Batman  :))

Haven't played it yet but it looks like a hoot.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Cyrano on June 13, 2015, 11:45:13 PM
Tabletop Simulator became awesome once I realized the boards that people had crafted inside the Workshop.

Finally got 'round to buying CC:Gateway to Caen although that and Hell were part of a Humble Bundle rather than the Steam sale.  The former is far better than I expected.

Still, CMANO, while remaining impenetrable at the moment, is something quite remarkable...
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: JasonPratt on June 15, 2015, 08:29:30 AM
In accord with the prophecy (and also resurgence of a stomach virus or whatever), I spent most of Saturday and Sunday working through most of the southern third of the Far Cry 4 campaign. While the main character is about as softly developed as a bag full of marshmallows, I'd rather have that than Douche McDudebro growing up to be a psycho killer.  :P Everyone else is written as well or better than in FC3. Granted, no one can be as freaky-evil as Vash or whatever his name was, but Pagan Min does a much better job of being cultured-crazy-evil than Hoyt. Amita or whatever her name is, is 1000% better than all the main female FC3 characters put together.

The visuals as everyone already knows are amazing, though I'm already very much over having three high-Himalayan missions in a row -- I'd rather have those spaced out (though I supposed I could just ignore most of them as optional...?)

My love for the Buzzer (essentially an old "Mosquito Air", i.e. a bike helicopter) is pure and undefiled, and only sharpened by the realization that such things exist in real life and for a cost of around $18,000 $35,000 I could in 100% real life kill myself thoroughly on such a thing by being shotgunned at the first opportunity by Tennessean neighbors who prefer their airspace peaceful and quiet (not to say private). I am nevertheless tempted to buy one and put it together anyway. Maybe farmers would let me mount a GoPro on it and fly around their fields to check on their crops.

Considering how much thought the devs put into little details (like the weedeater sound of the blades of the Buzzer bumping into treetops!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: ) I'm a little surprised they didn't think to write in dialogue variations based on unlocking the wingsuit (which arrives early in the game), since that would seem to be something that would impress the local people a lot: Ajay son of Rohan (or whatever) doesn't even need a small helicopter or hang glider to fly! But I'm a little less than 1/3 of the way through the game (maybe only 1/4, depending on how the map shakes out), so perhaps that's coming.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Rayfer on June 15, 2015, 12:15:20 PM
X:Rebirth....after many starts that resulted in frustration and confusion, I finally went with the Campaign and I'm glad I did. It is really just a very long and detailed tutorial that walks you through all the different game functions. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: DennisS on June 16, 2015, 01:28:31 PM
Mad Games Tycoon. This is a deep and accessible strategy game. Very good choices here, and interesting decisions to make.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Greybriar on June 16, 2015, 08:05:45 PM
I was a fan of Ports of Call (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ports-of-call) back in its day and hadn't played anything quite like it since. Until today when I purchased TransOcean - The Shipping Company (http://store.steampowered.com/app/289930/) on sale for $7.99 (60% off). It's been out awhile and there's a sequel in the works, but I believe I got my money's worth already.

YMMV but if you liked Ports of Call, I think you will love TransOcean - The Shipping Company.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: DennisS on June 16, 2015, 08:23:53 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 16, 2015, 08:05:45 PM
I was a fan of Ports of Call (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ports-of-call) back in its day and hadn't played anything quite like it since. Until today when I purchased TransOcean - The Shipping Company (http://store.steampowered.com/app/289930/) on sale for $7.99 (60% off). It's been out awhile and there's a sequel in the works, but I believe I got my money's worth already.

YMMV but if you liked Ports of Call, I think you will love TransOcean - The Shipping Company.

Trans Ocean starts slow..but when you unlock the Panamax class ships, and are able to sail throughout the world, it gets a lot more fun.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Greybriar on June 16, 2015, 08:27:36 PM
Yep.  ::)
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: GJK on June 16, 2015, 08:38:49 PM
So were there any wargames on sale during the summer sale??
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Greybriar on June 16, 2015, 09:15:10 PM
Quote from: GJK on June 16, 2015, 08:38:49 PM
So were there any wargames on sale during the summer sale??

In a word, yes. But you'll have to hunt them down yourself--there are just too many games to wade through. The one I remember as having been the most recently mentioned was Verdun (http://store.steampowered.com/app/242860/).
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Bison on June 16, 2015, 09:57:13 PM
Quote from: GJK on June 16, 2015, 08:38:49 PM
So were there any wargames on sale during the summer sale??

Matrix has several games on sale which will give you both the Matrix copy and Steam key.  I can assure you those are wargames.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: FlickJax on June 17, 2015, 03:44:24 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 16, 2015, 08:05:45 PM
I was a fan of Ports of Call (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ports-of-call) back in its day and hadn't played anything quite like it since. Until today when I purchased TransOcean - The Shipping Company (http://store.steampowered.com/app/289930/) on sale for $7.99 (60% off). It's been out awhile and there's a sequel in the works, but I believe I got my money's worth already.

YMMV but if you liked Ports of Call, I think you will love TransOcean - The Shipping Company.

Back to 30% damn
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: jomni on June 17, 2015, 03:57:40 AM
My most satisfying purchase in not on Sale... SOW Waterloo.
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: GJK on June 17, 2015, 04:55:48 AM
My brother is recommending Aegod's "Civil War II" when I mentioned that I might start up a solo game of VG's "Civil War".  I've never particularly cared for Aegod games (too many menu's, sub-menu's and clicking for me) but I'm tempted.  I'll dig up the reviews here, I'm sure that there was a front page review of it at some point.  ;)
Title: Re: What is your most satisfying purchase of the Summer Sales?
Post by: Nefaro on June 17, 2015, 05:30:28 AM
Quote from: GJK on June 17, 2015, 04:55:48 AM
My brother is recommending Aegod's "Civil War II" when I mentioned that I might start up a solo game of VG's "Civil War".  I've never particularly cared for Aegod games (too many menu's, sub-menu's and clicking for me) but I'm tempted.  I'll dig up the reviews here, I'm sure that there was a front page review of it at some point.  ;)

Many of the extra windows are informational. 

For learning the basics of the AGEOD games, remind yourself that they operate a bit like a tabletop game in that you pick up and place pieces (aka Armies) where you want them to move.  Then, when you hit End Turn, the orders are resolved simultaneously. 


The depth of the Command & Control rules differ between some of them.  The Civil War series and Rise Of Prussia utilize a command structure that you must set up, and this is often the most difficult for people to learn despite decent in-game tutorial instructions on how to do so.  Others, such as the Birth of America and Alea Jacta Est series don't have such a strict command structure so the force limits are simply imposed by the generals' CPs available in a specific army (thus having fewer modifiers for a proper multi-tiered command structure filled with capable generals).

There are only a handful of other screens you need to occasionally do something in, the quantity of which varies with the title.  They all have a Replacements screen where you must spend your limited money & resources to train future replacements for your current units that take losses. 

There is a screen where you can also pay for training completely new units.  Another, in more recent AGE titles, where you can pay or gain money by issuing edicts/construction (think building walls/forts, forced resource collection, etc) in specific locales.  There is also one screen with occasional theater-wide decisions you can choose - usually with just a very few options (if at all) at any one moment.

The rest are generally informational and help in finding your objectives and armies on the huge maps, or the current victory status.

They're very much wargames, but they're quite unique and therefore take some extra brainsauce to learn over others digital wargames since it's so different. 

I always thought the specific Supply systems were the most difficult to envision, partly because each one seems to be a bit different.  But you can usually wing those with a general knowledge of how supply moves, without having to learn the deeper details, after seeing it in action.  For example.. if an army runs low on supplies, and it has empty supply wagons, just send the wagons back to a supply source to fill up and return some turns later (preferably with a guard detachment if there may be raiding cavalry or irregulars nearby).   Or pull the force back to resupply, if they're losing troops & cohesiveness too quickly, and replan.


Just remember the basics: 
Giving orders is Drag & Drop, along with toggling any special order/stance buttons.  Know when an army's supply situation needs to be addressed, and where your supply lines are strong (there is a map filter for this, among others).  Keep replacements in training (about 1/10th the total number is recommended IIRC, at least for the most numerous & less costly like infantry & cavalry).  If the specific AGE title features a command structure you must organize, play through the tutorial until you understand how to do it with the UI (still mostly drag & drop with a rare button press).  Read the tooltips - they're packed full of helpful info including many strength & status numbers for units and descriptions of UI buttons.