I am pretty bad at using Steam, I seem to have a lot of trouble browsing through the games they offer and filtering out the add on's from the base game.
I play mostly turn based games, usually wargames. What is the best way to filter/search for offers on Steam that would more than likely show games I am interested in?
If you're looking for them in release order, then press the "Show All New Releases" button underneath their short list of new releases. That short list doesn't show them all.
Then select the "Strategy" checkbox on the right. I believe there are more sorting options there too. You'll still have to sort through a heap of shit and DLC. I don't even know if we can filter out the DLC, I haven't noticed the option.
There are also user tags you can sort by. Choose your favorite Turn-based steam game, for example, and go to it's store page. There should be some blue genre tags underneath the Overall User Rating. Click on the one labelled "Turn-based" and it should start a sorted list by that tag. You'll still likely see DLC and general crap, but at least they'll all be turn-based. There are quite a few different user tag categories like this so you'll probably be experimenting.
Thanks for the tip.
So wargames would generally be in the strategy section?
For the most part yes. Steam's search is not really very intuitive IMHO so sometimes you'll have to dig.
I need to find fewer games on Steam.
A way to separate the chaff from the grain without having to access numerous other sources to determine if a game is worth the purchase price as well as the time investment would be appreciated.
Yeah Marty Strategy and then you could also do two other thing to help refine your search. Use a tag from a game you already own. So CIV 5 is tagged strategy and turn based. Hit the tag and it'll bring up a list of games that meet that criteria or you can do the same thing search for a publisher or developer or hit the link with the name on a game you own.
Thanks Bison. That removed a lot of the other stuff.
Now if I can only find a way to fatten my wallet..... got any ideas? :)
Quote from: Marty Ward on June 15, 2015, 12:12:48 PM
Thanks Bison. That removed a lot of the other stuff.
Now if I can only find a way to fatten my wallet..... got any ideas? :)
You welcome and I use newspaper that I've cut into dollar sized pieces. A nice stack of those really fattens the wallet for the sake of appearances.
When using the advanced search, select "games" - this will filter out all DLC, soundtracks etc.
Similar to the tagging, IIRC Steam also uses your own library to come up with personalized recommendations similar to Amazon, etc.
Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2015, 06:00:15 PM
Similar to the tagging, IIRC Steam also uses your own library to come up with personalized recommendations similar to Amazon, etc.
Heh, yeah, and thanks to my daughter playing some dating game, guess what half my recommendations now are? :(
Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 15, 2015, 06:15:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2015, 06:00:15 PM
Similar to the tagging, IIRC Steam also uses your own library to come up with personalized recommendations similar to Amazon, etc.
Heh, yeah, and thanks to my daughter playing some dating game, guess what half my recommendations now are? :(
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imisstheoldschool.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F05%2FMy-Little-Pony-my-little-pony-256752_1280_1024.jpg&hash=4a357ebc024d675d395df2014293999e5a4ddcf1)
^Sure Huw, sure :)