GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: gameleaper on June 17, 2015, 04:09:15 PM

Title: 'Nostalgia Lovers' here is an 80s style game now with [Roguelike] elements
Post by: gameleaper on June 17, 2015, 04:09:15 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard

spacebar on the new keypad, stoped the keypad working when you wasn't supposed to press it, fixed now


Turn-based 3D/2D Really retro! space adventure with new 3D Combat

its a 3D update to privateer I did really retro I mean really retro

I loved this game don't know why, really interesting things in it

could some kind grogy grog try the download link, I hope its working?
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: gameleaper on June 17, 2015, 05:59:17 PM
the 3D combat is turn-based, that's worth a try :)
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: gameleaper on June 18, 2015, 05:24:05 PM
how can you older guys resist a free RETRO -  TURN-BASED game :) once the links gone its gome get it fast.

this is just a shameless bump,
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: gameleaper on June 20, 2015, 11:04:30 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard

spacebar on the new keypad, stoped the keypad working when you wasn't supposed to press it, fixed now

great news grognard.com liked the game and are gosting it, they check it properly so safe to download. as you know grognard is a famous wargame site and only good stuff gets on there
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: Boggit on June 20, 2015, 12:24:19 PM
It's not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you making it freely available to the community. Thanks, Gameleaper. :)
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: gameleaper on June 20, 2015, 12:45:58 PM
Quote from: Boggit on June 20, 2015, 12:24:19 PM
It's not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you making it freely available to the community. Thanks, Gameleaper. :)

I know its not everybodies brew, its so retro only an oldtimer may find it of interest, but its the sort of game I like to find on the net for free, and its quit interesting if you get past the graphics.
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure with new 3D Combat
Post by: gameleaper on November 11, 2015, 02:53:50 AM
Ok Ive slapped on a KeyPad for mouse control, but the Menu is still Keyboard, AND Ive INCLUDED SOURCE CODE FOR YOU GUYS TO PLAY WITH

it has a 3d combat cockpit turn based first person shooter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard

spacebar on the new keypad, stoped the keypad working when you wasn't supposed to press it, fixed now

its completely free and huw , it can be compiled on LINUX with blitzmax(blitzmax is now free), but remember to set the build to not do a debug or it will fail, also bear in mind it takes a long time to compile on Linux.
Title: Re: Turn-based 3D/2D Reallyretro! space adventure & blitzMax source code
Post by: gameleaper on November 11, 2015, 06:55:23 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard
Title: Re: you cant say your nostalgic unless you try this game, has source code with it
Post by: gameleaper on November 11, 2015, 10:09:08 AM
just done a graphic update the levels on ship are now coloured from red to green to warn of low levels

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0
Title: Re: you cant say your nostalgic unless you try this game, has source code with it
Post by: gameleaper on November 11, 2015, 02:25:17 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/to0qfcoml1hf71r/3DRetroPrivateer74withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive added new scaners long range, short range, close range, new graphics, its practicaly a new game
Title: Re: New graphics and scanners in the space adventure game, free with source
Post by: gameleaper on November 12, 2015, 12:21:18 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

new ship sensors, Menu control system,3 Map Zoom levels, basically a new game. new pit sensor too
Title: Re: If I cant sell a free adventure game to you old-timers who will want it?
Post by: Swatter on November 12, 2015, 10:15:07 PM
This place is like an AARP convention sometimes, but that doesn't make these geezers cheap. Its not about being free, its about time investment. Do you create games that people want to learn and invest time in? If yes, then keep on trucking. If no, you might consider a different approach.

Why is it you don't move on to Unity or something similar? You realize that it is probably easier and more time efficient in the long run? Once you get the hang of it, your just attaching scripts to objects. Its freaking easy. Not only that, for a few dollars here and a few dollars there, you can buy plug-ins that literally save hundreds of hours of work.

You obviously like to make games and I have seem some potentially cool ideas, but most people don't want to play games from 1980.
Title: Re: If I cant sell a free adventure game to you old-timers who will want it?
Post by: gameleaper on November 12, 2015, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: Swatter on November 12, 2015, 10:15:07 PM
This place is like an AARP convention sometimes, but that doesn't make these geezers cheap. Its not about being free, its about time investment. Do you create games that people want to learn and invest time in? If yes, then keep on trucking. If no, you might consider a different approach.

Why is it you don't move on to Unity or something similar? You realize that it is probably easier and more time efficient in the long run? Once you get the hang of it, your just attaching scripts to objects. Its freaking easy. Not only that, for a few dollars here and a few dollars there, you can buy plug-ins that literally save hundreds of hours of work.

You obviously like to make games and I have seem some potentially cool ideas, but most people don't want to play games from 1980.

swatter you give good advise, but I'm from the 80s and I really only like making retro stuff its my style, I'm not out to make money or become famouse, all I try to do is giveaway for free my projects, if nobody wants em well that's that,

gog are making a fortune out of the 80s, and we all buy em, I suppose swatter your young and the First RPGs etc are not in your phyci as muxh, But If I was looking for a free game I would like to find games like mine.

and when I say old-timers I just know the gamers on here are from the 80s more than anywhere else they adore nostalgia

swatter If you like unity , maybe you should try it or show us a free unity project,or show us where free unity games are to be downloaded. I think unity is bloated and your game would be 100s of MBs and no one would download it, my games are under 1MB, so unity fails there too, if I had a 200mb game I couldn't even store it online for download in a safe place, no host would help host a big file, so I would have nobody downloading my games, unless I paid for a server. I cant remember anybody saying here is my unity game download for free.

all the assets in unity are paid addons, even when they say free its only as long as you don't charge. unity is a good way to program, but only if you have a game company to sell your work
Title: Re: If I cant sell a free adventure game to you 'Nostalgia Lovers' who will want it?
Post by: gameleaper on November 13, 2015, 02:30:14 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive updated my 80s style game, it now has a roguelike emergency space jump to unknown systems, but they can be good or bad, pirate controlled or dying, or even new sytyems. but anybody not wanting a nostalgic 80s none unity game please ignore, :) sorry swatter I do hope you one day will tryout a game
Title: Re: If I cant sell a free adventure game to you old-timers who will want it?
Post by: Swatter on November 13, 2015, 11:29:25 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on November 12, 2015, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: Swatter on November 12, 2015, 10:15:07 PM
This place is like an AARP convention sometimes, but that doesn't make these geezers cheap. Its not about being free, its about time investment. Do you create games that people want to learn and invest time in? If yes, then keep on trucking. If no, you might consider a different approach.

Why is it you don't move on to Unity or something similar? You realize that it is probably easier and more time efficient in the long run? Once you get the hang of it, your just attaching scripts to objects. Its freaking easy. Not only that, for a few dollars here and a few dollars there, you can buy plug-ins that literally save hundreds of hours of work.

You obviously like to make games and I have seem some potentially cool ideas, but most people don't want to play games from 1980.

swatter you give good advise, but I'm from the 80s and I really only like making retro stuff its my style, I'm not out to make money or become famouse, all I try to do is giveaway for free my projects, if nobody wants em well that's that,

gog are making a fortune out of the 80s, and we all buy em, I suppose swatter your young and the First RPGs etc are not in your phyci as muxh, But If I was looking for a free game I would like to find games like mine.

and when I say old-timers I just know the gamers on here are from the 80s more than anywhere else they adore nostalgia

swatter If you like unity , maybe you should try it or show us a free unity project,or show us where free unity games are to be downloaded. I think unity is bloated and your game would be 100s of MBs and no one would download it, my games are under 1MB, so unity fails there too, if I had a 200mb game I couldn't even store it online for download in a safe place, no host would help host a big file, so I would have nobody downloading my games, unless I paid for a server. I cant remember anybody saying here is my unity game download for free.

all the assets in unity are paid addons, even when they say free its only as long as you don't charge. unity is a good way to program, but only if you have a game company to sell your work

I do like Unity and recommend it from experience. I was simply offering advice because you are practically begging people to play your projects. Anyone can find a thousand reasons not to do something, that's fine with me. If you want to make games for yourself, that's fine with me. On the other hand, if you want other people to play your games that's a different ballgame. If you want other people to enjoy your creativity and hard work you need to listen to feedback. I am not the first person to mention UI to you. Most people like to think nostalgically, but that doesn't mean they are breaking out their old Zork games. People want cool little games from the 80s and 90s, but (and I can't stress this enough) wrapped in a modern UI. I can't tell you how many times I hear these geezers crying about Age of Rifles and how nobody has remade it. They don't want Age of Rifles 1990 style, the want Age of Rifles 2015 style with fonts big as big as Selma Hayek's bust.

Take for example the guy who just made the 7 Years War game. His game looks pretty deep, but the graphics want to make people rip their eyes out. My point is that graphics and UI are just as important as gameplay. Nobody is going to see how cool your games are if you come crashing down at the first hurdle. If you really want other people to enjoy your games, you really need to take their wants into consideration.
Title: Re: 'Nostalgia Lovers' here is an 80s style game now with [Roguelike] elements
Post by: gameleaper on November 14, 2015, 02:26:09 AM
Thankyou for your thoughts and recommendation Swatter. I see your deciding which games from the 80s are COOL, but I think a game can be cool to one person and 80s old to someone else :) I take your point I like the MG spitfire sports car, but I wouldn't want one Id want a new type rather than old car that breaksdown. When you say I'm begging people to download my projects, I suppose it may read that way, its really just advertising, as what can I say to get people to download, its always going to be me asking peeps to download one way or another, if my games are as bad as you say I need to beg :)

I have to say though swatter, I like these sorts of games, and I'm sure there are other people that like them.
Title: Re: 'Nostalgia Lovers' here is an 80s style game now with [Roguelike] elements
Post by: Swatter on November 14, 2015, 07:02:22 PM
I didn't say your games were bad. I said UI is just as important as gameplay. You pump out games, which is cool. I think your ideas are cool. Myself and others just want a better UI. Games weren't cool in the 80s because of their UIs, they were cool in spite of them. There are more solutions than Unity, I was pointing out the best one (or one of the best).

Good luck, though.