GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Con on June 19, 2015, 10:39:00 AM

Title: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Con on June 19, 2015, 10:39:00 AM
I finally broke down and bought one since I have just been crap at playing a lot of action games (Batman, Witcher II etc) with the mouse keyboard combo. 
I got the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller for Windows (Amazons best seller)

Anyone else use a console controller for PC gaming and if so does it make playing console type games better for you?

I have to admit I decided to do this based on wanting to finish Witcher II and buying Witcher III in the future (based on Angry Joes review) plus Fallout 4. 

Con
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Nefaro on June 19, 2015, 10:42:44 AM
I have a 360 controller for mine.  Feels rather clumsy to me, even with console ports, but I'm probably just used to many years of precise mouse movement that this thing feels like an unbalanced club.  Cretin controller!  :P

Not sure I quite like the shape and placement of some of the buttons, either.  I don't use it unless the game in question almost demands it.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM
I have a 360 controller too and unlike Nefaro, I find it solid and indispensable for most console type action and or 3rd person combat games. If you were never a console gamer, it will take time to adapt to the controller, but play enough and you'll see the benefits over a mouse and keyboard.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: -budd- on June 19, 2015, 12:19:42 PM
i've been thinking about getting one also, some games just don't work that well with keyboard and mouse, hence i don't play them and avoid buying them.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Bison on June 19, 2015, 12:45:57 PM
I used my Xbox 360 controller for Batman and a some light driving games like need for speed, burnout paradise, and grid 2.  I'm sure I've used it for other games too.  I found it to be useful once you get used to the controller.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Greybriar on June 19, 2015, 01:16:32 PM
I bought a Microsoft 52A-00004 Xbox 360 Controller (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105438) for Windows in 2013 in anticipation of needing it for a console port. It's still in its unopened box.  :P
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 19, 2015, 02:45:40 PM
I've also got a 360 controller. I consider it pretty much essential for attempting to play 3rd person action games, platformers and arcade driving games.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: W8taminute on June 19, 2015, 02:58:19 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM
I have a 360 controller too and unlike Nefaro, I find it solid and indispensable for most console type action and or 3rd person combat games. If you were never a console gamer, it will take time to adapt to the controller, but play enough and you'll see the benefits over a mouse and keyboard.

+1 and QFT.


I use a wired 360 controller I picked up at Target for 25 bucks on my gaming rig.  Works great with games like Wolfenstein and War Thunder.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: gameleaper on June 19, 2015, 03:04:17 PM
the new steam controller will work with PC steam games, its much better than anything ive ever seen for a PC, it has a mouse touchpad like a laptop, its out in November, and works on normal PCs not just steam OS I think
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Nefaro on June 19, 2015, 06:02:26 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2015, 10:48:22 AM
I have a 360 controller too and unlike Nefaro, I find it solid and indispensable for most console type action and or 3rd person combat games. If you were never a console gamer, it will take time to adapt to the controller, but play enough and you'll see the benefits over a mouse and keyboard.


Yeah, it's a good quality controller and seems rather sturdy & reliable.

My complaints about it were due to my own unfamiliarity.  I'm glad I have one, for the games that really need it.   I may have came across more harsh about it than I really intended, in my earlier post.

Another thing:
I'd recommend it because the drivers are already part of the Windows OS and therefore is always compatible with games that have such controller support, since it's the baseline devs use.  Don't generally have to worry about software issues with it.  There's much to be said for compatibility.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Staggerwing on June 19, 2015, 06:26:32 PM
There are also xbox controller drivers for OSX now that so many games are being released on Steam as multi-platform.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: MikeGER on June 20, 2015, 02:00:12 AM
i broke down after some time with Witcher III and got me the xbox one controller, the improved successor of the already high praised 360controller just last Tuesday.
(the 360 was recommended by a friend as the best controller at the time he purchased it, and some German game mags , put the xbox one controller one notch above the 360, so i was looking for that.... it also depend on the size of your hands) 
i was in the MediaMarkt store and the friendly clerk had let me handle both in comparison (the xbox one was sold out at that time, but he had both items beyond the counter for those try-on 'like buying gloves' demonstration purposes)
its still a version with a wire but the wireless module for that controller will be released soon. that was already announced by Microsoft this month, so no problem here if i want to have that option later

Yes, you have to adopt to use it, but after some time with it i found out that some situations in Witcher III are better to handled with the controller. i constantly switch between using KB+mouse and the xbox one controller.
(Witcher III sense which input device is actual used so i just have to grab it and Witcher III automatically switch control over to the devices which sends the input... its very convenient)

all kind of horse riding, and fights in open areas (where you can must 'roll'-evade a lot) and with a general larger group of weaker enemies i use the controller.
if there are lots of obstacles and if its just 1 but stronger enemy i (at this moment still) perfer the keyboard mouse then.
all other UI interaction with that game i do with KB and mouse.

the reason for getting the controller was that 'steering' the horse was a PITA with KB and i had 'a worsening problem' in fights with the evading

well, i am still in the adopting phase with the controller
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Con on June 22, 2015, 04:32:45 PM
Ok I got the controller this weekend and tried a couple of hours with it.  My first impressions are

I suck and will never be able to play any type of console game.  I mean I am pathetic with these controllers.  Maybe its all muscle memory etc but I had to put it away.

I know I should continue trying to play/practice with it but right now I am doing much better with mouse and keyboard on witcher 2

Con
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 22, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Okay, dumb question. These controllers are all USB, I assume? Any other particulars about requirements? My PC may be too old to handle a newer controller.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Arctic Blast on June 22, 2015, 09:28:11 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 22, 2015, 04:43:48 PM
Okay, dumb question. These controllers are all USB, I assume? Any other particulars about requirements? My PC may be too old to handle a newer controller.

360 controllers (and I assume Xbox 1 controllers) are USB. Plug them in, Windows downloads drivers, and you're ready to go in about 10 seconds.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Bison on June 22, 2015, 09:34:14 PM
My 360 controller is wireless.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Yskonyn on June 22, 2015, 11:30:17 PM
I also have the 360 wireless controller and have used it for games like Trackmania and X3 / Rebirth. The controller is sturdy and reliable, but the annoyance I had with the wireless one is that the game (X Rebirth) would loose control after it had been in standby mode.
I'd you don't use the controller for a while it will turn off itself. By pressing the Xbox Guide button it reconnects to the transmitter, but X wouldn't see this for some reason.

Overall I find the PLayStation controllers more comfortable. Their 4 way button is also more precise, which is a must when playing fighting games
For example.
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Nefaro on June 23, 2015, 11:31:44 AM
I got a wired 360 controller. 

The cord is really long so it's not a big deal.  No need to worry about low battery warnings and having to plug it in to the really short charger cord (or buy a longer one in addition to the wireless). 

I actually prefer wired peripherals all-around, unless a corded one doesn't have plenty of extra length to reach.  I had to get a wireless mouse & keyboard for the PC tower I have hooked up to my LCDTV in the living room.   The available mouse & keyboard cords wouldn't reach all the furniture so it's a necessary evil. 

Don't like buying batteries for shit unless I absolutely have to.  Including rechargeable ones (which increasingly get worse and go bad too).
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Greybriar on June 26, 2015, 04:30:00 PM
I ran across an article at Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-pc-game-controllers,review-2776.html) that lists the following as the "Best PC Game Controllers 2015":

1. Microsoft Xbox One Controller - Best Overall
2. Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller - Most Versatile
3. Thrustmaster GPX LightBack - Best for Racing
4. Logitech F310 - Best Budget Option
5. Sony DualShock 4 - Best for PS4 Owners
6. Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller - New and Notable
Title: Re: Game Controllers for the PC
Post by: Jerade on December 13, 2017, 10:54:03 PM
Bumped onto this piece at Safetomatic (https://safetomatic.com/) outlining the - Best controller for PC Gaming – PC controller Reviews.
In summary, here are their recommendations
1. DualShock 4 Wireless Sony Controller
2. Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller
3. Steam Controller by Valve – PC controller for steam
4. ZD N Full Vibration Wireless Controller
5. ZD-V+ USB Wired Gaming Controller – PC Controller On cheap budget
6. Logitech Gamepad F710 – Wireless