GrogHeads Forum

Tabletop Gaming, Models, and Minis => Wargaming => Topic started by: Johnnie on June 22, 2015, 10:22:28 AM

Title: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: Johnnie on June 22, 2015, 10:22:28 AM
What is the consensus on this game?  And does any one know of a strategy guide or  introduction?  Thanks
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: PanzersEast on June 22, 2015, 10:31:40 AM
Quote from: Johnnie on June 22, 2015, 10:22:28 AM
What is the consensus on this game?  And does any one know of a strategy guide or  introduction?  Thanks

My favorite in the Field Commander series and a great solitaire game.  I can easily recommend it and Derek does as well.



Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: GJK on June 22, 2015, 10:35:44 AM
Derek Case gave a good (and favorable) review of it:



There's a number of other introductory reviews on BGG as well.  I haven't played it myself but from what I've heard, this is one of Dan's better designs.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: GJK on June 22, 2015, 10:38:32 AM
My Derek Case review video post should be on top!!   ???
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: Johnnie on June 22, 2015, 10:48:52 AM
Thanks guys.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: GroggyGrognard on June 22, 2015, 04:27:41 PM
One of the best solitaire wargames I've ever played. Well worth your money because it has good components, well designed game, and fun to play.

Just my two cents.

Groggy
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 23, 2015, 06:33:46 AM
I have both Field Commander Rommel and Field Commander Alexander.

Does anyone own either of those titles and FC: Napoleon?

I'm curious if FC:N is the same as FC:R and FC:A, just in a Napoleonics wrapper, or if there's rules/play differences.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: Nefaro on June 23, 2015, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 23, 2015, 06:33:46 AM
I have both Field Commander Rommel and Field Commander Alexander.

Does anyone own either of those titles and FC: Napoleon?

I'm curious if FC:N is the same as FC:R and FC:A, just in a Napoleonics wrapper, or if there's rules/play differences.

I'm not too familiar with FC: Napoleon, but I got the impression that it's similar to FC: Alexander, except with a bit more depth and width to it.

By most accounts I've read, FC:N is considered the best of the series.   

I've wanted to get it, too.  The prices I've found them for have made me hesitate though.  Unfortunately, you never know when DVG titles are gonna disappear off all the shelves, being out of print and with skyrocketing prices.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: DennisS on June 24, 2015, 08:00:55 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 23, 2015, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 23, 2015, 06:33:46 AM
I have both Field Commander Rommel and Field Commander Alexander.

Does anyone own either of those titles and FC: Napoleon?

I'm curious if FC:N is the same as FC:R and FC:A, just in a Napoleonics wrapper, or if there's rules/play differences.

I'm not too familiar with FC: Napoleon, but I got the impression that it's similar to FC: Alexander, except with a bit more depth and width to it.

By most accounts I've read, FC:N is considered the best of the series.   

I've wanted to get it, too.  The prices I've found them for have made me hesitate though.  Unfortunately, you never know when DVG titles are gonna disappear off all the shelves, being out of print and with skyrocketing prices.

I was on vacation  in New York City, and found a hole in the wall game shop on 34th street. I purchased FC: Napoleon for exactly $100 plus tax. Brought it on the airplane with me, back home! Excellent game, excellent series..but this one is clearly the best one.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: PanzersEast on June 26, 2015, 03:06:16 PM
FC:N expands on the tactical combat and has a wide variety of campaigns.  The rules in the system have been flushed out and work surprisingly well.  Every play though is different and the AI is competent while you will have to occasionally overrule some weird pulls, or you can chalk it up to the confusion of battle.


PE
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: Johnnie on June 30, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
DennisS:

Was that store "The Compleate Strategist?"  It has been around since I was a pup;  and I'm 63.  There was also a sister store on 57th Street. They were (are?) great retail sources for games and miniatures.  Wonderful places to browse and/or shop.

Just checked on line.  The 34th Street store still exists.  Seems they are trying to do a lot on line.
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: BanzaiCat on June 30, 2015, 02:39:27 PM
Quote from: Johnnie on June 30, 2015, 12:52:46 PM
DennisS:

Was that store "The Compleate Strategist?"  It has been around since I was a pup;  and I'm 63.  There was also a sister store on 57th Street. They were (are?) great retail sources for games and miniatures.  Wonderful places to browse and/or shop.

Just checked on line.  The 34th Street store still exists.  Seems they are trying to do a lot on line.

I'm in Houston but like wandering around in Google Maps sometimes, so I just checked out this store. And holy crap, I didn't know you could do this, but Google Street View lets you go INSIDE the store.  O0
Title: Re: Field Commander Napoleon
Post by: Cyrano on June 30, 2015, 02:42:46 PM
I don't feel I commemorated the 200th of Waterloo adequately -- and Brant's chiding only made matters all the worse -- so I'm trying to have something of an extended Napoleonic weekend.

1:  Campaign: Waterloo PBEM

2:  Co-op SoW:WL on-line

3:  And another go at Field Commander: Napoleon.  There's something in this creature that commands your attention and respect.  Box is hefty and filled with goodness, parts -- particularly maps and counters -- are nicely done, and I got through the rules and down to play  with only a few fits and starts.  I've none of the others, but I bought this one for $50 at CoolStuffInc's booth at GenCon a couple years ago and haven't regretted it.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)