compulsory cruising music when i was 17, windows down, stereo (with a tape!!!!) at full blast
There shall be WitP:AE PBEM with KyzBP
There shall be CMBS PBEM with JD and his nefarious Russian rushers
and some XCOM Longwar
Have a great weekend everyone
Quote from: undercovergeek on June 26, 2015, 03:43:39 AM
...
There shall be CMBS PBEM with JD and his nefarious Russian rushers
...
I've given up almost. I've tried all sorts of movement...I've tried Hunt, I've tried Slow, I've tried Hide and ever single time, I get shot up. SO I'm just grabbing you by the balls and pulling you in!
Some of the very excellent
Witcher III, most definitely
Project Cars and perhaps either some
Fallout 3:New Vegas or
Batman:Arkhym Asylum...I want to beat it and move on to the next one.
I've also reinstalled
X-Com - I wanted to get back to it.
I will also be finishing my tutorial mission on
Combat Commander:Europe so I can write some sort of screwy AAR for it.
Everytime I mention Combat Commander I get this in my head :'(
Have a super duper weekend everyone!
Well, I'm back from vacation, mostly unpacked in the new house, started training for my new job. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to get back to CMANO and my subs up in the Barents stalking the Red Banner Northern Fleet.
NEARLY 60 LINES OF RAW FORTRAN CODE!!
"As far as we can tell, Derek Smart doesn't even get paid at all. How does he do it? He lives off the souls of the damned. DESKTOP COMMANDER!"
I love that video like whipped cream. :smitten: :smitten:
Oh, and no doubt Arkham Knght (as the spine of its companion hint book titles it) all weekend or until I finish it whichever comes first.
Hahahahaha, Derek Smart's Desktop Commander! I had forgotten about that.
This weekend there will be a ton of DVG's Hornet Leader, both to help me finish up a review and for the AAR I have in the forums.
Otherwise I'm not sure...I did buy a ticket to see Jurassic World early tomorrow morning, so there's two hours of my weekend accounted for there.
Not sure what's up this weekend....
Maybe trying out the solo version of my new Labyrinth 2001 - ? board game...
I might even manage to get a turn to Cyrano of out Sicily campaign...
Or play around with Door Kickers I got from Gog during the sale....
Or maybe I'll do some more work on my uber gaming table...
All I really have on the plate this weekend is a Pbem battle against Undercovergeek in a little game called WiTP:AE. Both of us are doing AARs (UCG's is far more entertaining I'm sure). We're both beginners at this game so slide over to the AAR section if you want to see what would happen if spider monkeys were given navies.
Football Tactics - WOW this game is fun.
I have been on a Novalogic kick lately, playing Comanche 4, Armored Fist 3, and Delta Force 2. These are great games, and I wish someone would've carried the torch of arcade-sim games once Novalogic stopped.
Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
All I really have on the plate this weekend is a Pbem battle against Undercovergeek in a little game called WiTP:AE. Both of us are doing AARs (UCG's is far more entertaining I'm sure). We're both beginners at this game so slide over to the AAR section if you want to see what would happen if spider monkeys were given navies.
I'll definitely have a look. WitP:AE sits looking at me longingly from my desktop. I've fired it up on occassion. Even started a game...then quite.
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2015, 08:11:30 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
All I really have on the plate this weekend is a Pbem battle against Undercovergeek in a little game called WiTP:AE. Both of us are doing AARs (UCG's is far more entertaining I'm sure). We're both beginners at this game so slide over to the AAR section if you want to see what would happen if spider monkeys were given navies.
I'll definitely have a look. WitP:AE sits looking at me longingly from my desktop. I've fired it up on occassion. Even started a game...then quite.
WiTP:AE is like eating an elephant except the first bite is his entire head.
Really, once you get past the first turn the game moves along rather methodically and quickly.
I love UCG so much I made him a mix tape. Made one for the spider monkeys too.
With that out of the way I will continue on with Grim Dawn (love it) and start an Undead campaign in AoWIII Eternal Lords. Then maybe start AssCreed Black Flag and then maybe some SpecOps -The Line. Pulling up the rear is the TW DLC The Last Roman.
Damn it feels good to be a gamer.
Battle Brothers, Order of Battle Pacific (almost a victory in hand as the Japanese) and some GalCivIII.
Grim Dawn....I haven't fired that up yet, but if the Guster is enthused about it, I think it makes the list this weekend.
Oh and some Ultimate Gettysburg, because screw you Apple and Amazon!!!
Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2015, 08:22:39 AM
I love UCG so much I made him a mix tape. Made one for the spider monkeys too.
With that out of the way I will continue on with Grim Dawn (love it) and start an Undead campaign in AoWIII Eternal Lords. Then maybe start AssCreed Black Flag and then maybe some SpecOps -The Line. Pulling up the rear is the TW DLC The Last Roman.
Damn it feels good to be a gamer.
I pretty sure I'll play some Last Roman and possibly some vassal PBEM and maybe some DCS or CLoD or even ARMAIII.
Scourge of War Gettysburg...I'll try not to be offended by the flags in the game ::) Then I might fire up some Forge of Freedom just so I can look at the intro splash screen. Probably move some armies around in Ageod's Civil War. I'll have to fire of some Tiller Gettysburg just so I can get a more operational feel of the battle for my Scourge of War play.
The Last Roman barges into my already crowded schedule just as I was making really good progress in DC Case Blue's 1st. Pz. Army campaign and CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack campaign. Belisarius could handle all 3 at once but not me. The Last shall be first. And the first shall be The Last.
Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 08:20:52 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 26, 2015, 08:11:30 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on June 26, 2015, 07:52:07 AM
All I really have on the plate this weekend is a Pbem battle against Undercovergeek in a little game called WiTP:AE. Both of us are doing AARs (UCG's is far more entertaining I'm sure). We're both beginners at this game so slide over to the AAR section if you want to see what would happen if spider monkeys were given navies.
I'll definitely have a look. WitP:AE sits looking at me longingly from my desktop. I've fired it up on occassion. Even started a game...then quite.
WiTP:AE is like eating an elephant except the first bite is his entire head.
Really, once you get past the first turn the game moves along rather methodically and quickly.
Surprised you didn't try a smaller scenario instead.. We had to dump our Pride of Nations game because UCG's Gamers ADD prevented more than a turn a week sometimes!!! :crazy2: .. Just ribbing ya UCG.. I really would love to follow this AAR if it continues!
Might try one of the many games I have bought but not played yet on Saturday, on Sunday off to Tankfest at Bovington Tank Museum :)
Is The Last Roman worth its price? I haven't bought a TW title in years, but I'm rather sceptical about the whole "release DLC with playable factions that are there but unplayable in the main game, or which are simply reskinned existing factions" scheme they have going.
I'll play some Panzer Battles: Kursk Southern Front, and have played some Dungeon Warfare earlier today.
Quote from: ComradeP on June 26, 2015, 10:35:10 AM
Is The Last Roman worth its price? I haven't bought a TW title in years, but I'm rather sceptical about the whole "release DLC with playable factions that are there but unplayable in the main game, or which are simply reskinned existing factions" scheme they have going.
I'll play some Panzer Battles: Kursk Southern Front, and have played some Dungeon Warfare earlier today.
To get the last Roman, you have to get Attila as well. There's a lot more to be skeptical about than a DLC or two. I got Attila, but I've skipped all the DLC until this one. Anyway, the Last Roman is a "campaign" -- like say Caesar in Gaul -- so it has its own odd charm: monthly turns, lots of little oppida, many kinds of proto-medieval barbarians and so on.
Possibly, but 10 years or so ago, this would simply be a mod. It's still essentially a mod being sold as if it's a genuine expansion. That's what bugs me about the way many companies use DLC to either make things available that are already in the game but can't be used by the player, or slightly changing a thing or two and presenting it as something completely new.
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 07:00:08 AM
This weekend there will be a ton of DVG's Hornet Leader, both to help me finish up a review and for the AAR I have in the forums.
Want.
I see that DVG is moving toward starting up IAF Leader soon. :)
Quote from: Nefaro on June 26, 2015, 11:45:17 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 07:00:08 AM
This weekend there will be a ton of DVG's Hornet Leader, both to help me finish up a review and for the AAR I have in the forums.
Want.
I see that DVG is moving toward starting up IAF Leader soon. :)
I have that on pre-order
Quote from: ComradeP on June 26, 2015, 11:41:25 AM
Possibly, but 10 years or so ago, this would simply be a mod. It's still essentially a mod being sold as if it's a genuine expansion. That's what bugs me about the way many companies use DLC to either make things available that are already in the game but can't be used by the player, or slightly changing a thing or two and presenting it as something completely new.
For me (a total war fanboi and devote of late Antiquity), this DLC hits a sweet spot. I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by Attila, which was in many ways just plain silly. I do like the more focused campaign maps in the total war repertoire since Rome2 and this one has the best campaign map so far, I think. Plus, Justinian's push to recapture the West is an actual pivotal moment in geopolitical history, unlike the rather generic mess surrounding whatever it was Attila thought he was doing. And there are some well-done minor touches such as the Alan heritage bonus for the Franks. So if this had come out as a mod 10 years ago, I'm not sure it would have worked at all. On the other hand, here it is now as a DLC and it's got more things that interest me than any TW release since the Carthage Campaign in Rome2. So for me, at least, its all good.
Yes, I'm liking it so far. Plus the whole TW series is on sale and can be played for free this weekend at Steam.
If there's time I really want to try a game of Star Ruler 2.
I still have ongoing games in XCOM, Distant Worlds, Fallout 3, and Football Manager 2015 that will be vying for time this weekend. I'm also in the mood for a bit
of Battlefield 4 and possibly Diablo 3.
Just for clarity, the Last Roman DLC is the only TW title that is not playable for free.or on sale on Steam this weekend.
Can't stop playing CM Black Sea these days. 3rd battle in the US campaign is big and brutal. Man I love this game more and more.
High likelihood that I'll cave and buy Scourge of War Waterloo this weekend...
XCom, OOTP 16 and a few board games (Legendary Encounters : Alien, Flip City, Carson City and El Grande being the most likely).
So far:
Starhammer: Vanguard Prophecy
Dominions 4
Distant Star: Revenant Fleet
This evening (probably):
Breach and Clear
Star Ruler 2
Played Grim Dawn last night drunk for about an hour...liberating! Hoping to get to AoW3 today and start an Undead sandbox campaign.
Getting my behind handed to me inInsurgency and making a brave show of it.
Aloha snackbar!
I've playing a lot of Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes the last several days with a custom Sovereign and faction. Gonna see if I can get either the Master Quest or Spell of Making victory this time around.
Otherwise, I'm looking at some combination of the usual favorites: Distant Worlds Universe, Rome II, Armada 2526, Shogun Total War, Birth of the Federation, and Medieval Total War (have not yet picked up the Gold Edition on Steam, although it's definitely on my "to get" list).
I wonder if the original STW and MTW would still hold the same magic they did years ago or if I should just enjoy the memories. With the big let downs recently of 'HD' versions of old favorites I'm leaning towards just enjoying the memories. That said, TW is one of my most favorite series...hmm...
As of Friday at noon I'm on vacation for a week. Spent Friday afternoon out at the bar, and a concert last night. The next week will mainly be a mix of EUIV, CMANO, and Elite. Been wanting to start another Skyrim play through, but I need to find the energy to get all of my mods reinstalled.
I played a bit of Jomni's Japanese mod for Pike & Shot. It's outstanding! Also, the manual is great.
Mostly played the old classic game "Work". ;)
Just finished You Must Build A Boat.
Other than that I´m continuing my first play through of Massive Chalice or try to save humanity in Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp.
FINALLY started into Walking Dead Season 2, since I've accumulated quite a backlog of Telltale games. I'd forgotten how tense this series makes me. Every moment of playing I'm just waiting for the next attack. I'd also forgotten how awful some of the decisions you make end up making you feel. Ugh.
Although I like the concept of the games Telltale Games makes, I really dislike QTE's which has kept me from touching any of them thus far. A good story interrupted by button-mashing is something I find very annoying.
Gus: In my opinion, STW and MTW are still good games in their own right. I haven't played any TW titles beyond MTW2, but I expect that if you can adjust to the less than stellar graphics, the more limited campaign AI, more ahistorical units and there being less of a Civilization feel to the older games, they're still good games.
It is my impression that the modern TW games introduced more Civ-like elements (such as far more detail in city planning and various things you need to keep track of to keep your population happy and your economy healthy), which might also be why it appeals to many of you but not really to me as Civilization never really gave me the "one more turn" feeling. With each new title in the TW series I felt I had a bit less control over how battles went as they seemed to require more direct input and things seemed to happen in quick succession. The difference between battles in MTW and MTW2 was already fairly significant for me.
Out of the TW games and their expansions that I've played, I still like Mongol Invasion best. The battles were very satisfying.
I stopped playing TW after auto-resolving my way to Jerusalem a couple of times with the absurdly good general the French started with in MTW2 (probably a mod) and his mighty army of militiamen. That might be one problem of the older TW games, that the relative power of militia is very significant if you auto resolve battles with a good general. Generals that can't die of old age and will thus become supermen over time if you use them well is another. In a way, it was amusing, that you could win battles through auto-resolving that you couldn't possibly win if you'd actually fight them.
Quote from: ComradeP on June 29, 2015, 12:28:49 AM
Although I like the concept of the games Telltale Games makes, I really dislike QTE's which has kept me from touching any of them thus far. A good story interrupted by button-mashing is something I find very annoying.
...
Being a huge fan of Game of Thrones series and buying the game - I concur. I feel exactly the same. They just don't flip my switch.
I should've known because I bought The Walking Dead game and didn't like it at all.
I loved Mongol Invasion too...I still can't believe that CA didn't recreate it for Shogun 2 :(
The last mod for M2TW that Darth did included a much more challenging Christian vs Moslem world campaign where the Moslem AI only factions had a significant advantage in numbers and aggression and the more closely allied Christian factions had to hold them off until you could turn the tide against them. It was a very different campaign from vanilla and a real challenge.
Quote from: vyshka on June 26, 2015, 01:38:48 PM
I still have ongoing games in XCOM, Distant Worlds, Fallout 3, and Football Manager 2015 that will be vying for time this weekend. I'm also in the mood for a bit
of Battlefield 4 and possibly Diablo 3.
And the weekend ended up with me reading a thread about Baldur's Gate and figuring out how to mod it so it ran nicely on my system, then playing that Friday evening. Saturday was mostly spent reading
Caliban's War, and then yesterday was spent putting together a bed frame for my daughter.
Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2015, 02:57:30 PM
I wonder if the original STW and MTW would still hold the same magic they did years ago or if I should just enjoy the memories. With the big let downs recently of 'HD' versions of old favorites I'm leaning towards just enjoying the memories. That said, TW is one of my most favorite series...hmm...
I think that's really gonna depend on the person.
Like
ComradeP, I still genuinely enjoy the original two Total War games. They've never left my hard drive (except for when I've reformatted, gotten a new computer, etc.), and I've never stopped playing them.
I like the Risk-style campaign map (and how it aids the strategic AI), even if the army/naval movement is less than realistic as a result. I like that the combat is slower-paced and allows me to actually think and adjust my tactics without having to constantly pause battles. I like that the combat AI is generally pretty good (of course it's rather weak in assaulting fortifications, but when hasn't that been the case?). I like that the technology tree and building upgrade paths are simplified, but still force you to be careful in how you develop provinces.
More than anything else, though, I love love LOVE the atmosphere these two old games boast: The art style, the music, the sound effects, and the narration all combine to immerse me in the world in a way that few other games do these days. Obviously, that's going to be a highly subjective thing, but for me both STW & MTW are very near the top of my list when it comes to atmosphere/immersion.
As I noted in another thread recently: the original Shogun: Total War still has play value as a computer adaptation of a famous board game (Ikeda I think it's called now? -- used to be called Shogun), with naturally some extensions to the rules because computers can do that.
And then MTW1 expands those rules for what amounts to a computer adaptation of the Shogun board game to the standard medieval Medi-Europe-PersianGulf-WestAsia map and timeframe.
Quote from: MengJiao on June 26, 2015, 08:34:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 26, 2015, 08:22:39 AM
I love UCG so much I made him a mix tape. Made one for the spider monkeys too.
With that out of the way I will continue on with Grim Dawn (love it) and start an Undead campaign in AoWIII Eternal Lords. Then maybe start AssCreed Black Flag and then maybe some SpecOps -The Line. Pulling up the rear is the TW DLC The Last Roman.
Damn it feels good to be a gamer.
I pretty sure I'll play some Last Roman and possibly some vassal PBEM and maybe some DCS or CLoD or even ARMAIII.
And that's pretty much what happened, except that the Last Roman thing turned out to be pretty epic. Just before the volcano blew,it looked like the Ostrogoths were about to take over the world. They were beating the Franks and the Romans and maybe even the Vandals. As a Visigoth, I could not let that happen. So I threw everything I had into what I hoped would be a series of whirlwind campaigns to shore up the Franks and wreck the Ostrogoths. Everything went wrong pretty fast after that. I lost two fleets and 4 armies. I was only able to keep going by looting and diplomatic payoffs and pouring the funds into mercenaries. But eventually the Franks pulled themselves together and defeated the Bretons, while I wiped out the Basques and put some dents into the Burgundians and even the Ostrogoths. The AI -- especially for the Ostrogoths -- has been doing well I think. Doing dispersed raids and then concentrating to wipe out any exposed armies that are in their area.
Seems like the best few hours of TW I've ever played.
There are many undead cities but this one is mine...and my capital.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.akamai.steamusercontent.com%2Fugc%2F686020267985042676%2F5C8E86472053FA920A763F99248E0418D98B2107%2F&hash=4463d0efc8569ebad34129a7eb8763be4acfc709)
The Un-Dead keep a very well manicured forest I'll say. And graveyard too.
The Age of Wonders series has never lacked in the art department. AoW3 is easily one of the best-looking strategy games I've ever had the joy of playing.
I need to fire it up again (AoW III). I'm just afraid it'll crash again. :-[
We need to mp that b-hotch. Maybe go 2v2. Play out all the tactical battles. If it does 6, we could go 2v2v2.
I only had one crash in AoW3 in about 25 hours of play. I would enjoy some MP, this is like Warlock on steroids.
I'm down. Should have some time this weekend if you're serious. The benefit is, guy with the most DLC is what we ALL play with. So, only one of us needs it to let all of us play :)
I have no DLC, so if you guys go that route, I'm out. I still need to put some time into it before I'm comfortable putting more money into it with DLC stuff.
Pretty sure Gus has all of it, B_C. That means we can play all of them as long as Gus hosts. Although, I suppose we could all get the benefit of the DLC if someone other than its owner hosted. Would have to try that theory out first.
Oh...geez, okay. I just assumed EVERYONE had to have the DLC in order to play it.
How many can play?
6?
I have never MP'd though.
bob, W8 and I have. And I have mp'd two player games. It would be better with more as you still have the option to auto-resolve battles or play them out. If it's just two guys and several a.i.'s, you kind of feel obligated to auto. If it's all human players, we can fight out the battles. Better way to determine the outcome, don't you think?
Can the game just be human players or do you have to include AI bots to run open positions?
MD I know you said you've done 2-player games but I'm wondering if that means 8 bots to fill in the blanks.
I can join a game tomorrow night late, Friday night late or Saturday night late...late meaning something like 11pm EST. I have had single player games that ended in 30-40 turns...can we expect to end what we're playing in one sitting?
Quote from: Gusington on July 01, 2015, 07:42:34 PM
I can join a game tomorrow night late, Friday night late or Saturday night late...late meaning something like 11pm EST. I have had single player games that ended in 30-40 turns...can we expect to end what we're playing in one sitting?
You can certainly expect that end if yer MD's neighbour...
Unless everybody's wives are plying beer this weekend.
How can the game end in 40 minutes when it takes MD 40 minutes to just to complete a turn or so? At less that the grogheads MP word on the street.
That was definitely true in Warlock MP.
He's strategizing.
I thought he fell asleep a few times.
11!!!. I was thinking more like 9 EST
^Olde.
So is there a game on tonight or what?
I take the almost 24 hours of silence as a 'no.'
Last weekend's news.
I just got back from vay-kay. So...who's in?
What time?
Doesn't matter to me.
I assume that's another "no."
Fireworks going on right now, after I have to walk up the street and escort my son home.. maybe a lil after 10 EST?
ugh six million kids in my house right now!
Quote from: Tuna on July 03, 2015, 09:10:07 PM
ugh six million kids in my house right now!
You could hold a very long Thunderdome tournament..
Channel all that energy and numbers into a wholesome spectator sport and end up in relative silence afterward. ^-^
We had them till like Midnight.. Cops weren't letting anyone into our neighborhood, so their parents couldn't pick them up. lol... I really hate Fireworks night!
The crowd leaving the beach after the fireworks were over
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1373.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fag371%2Fcmurphy625%2F11412108_10205374371977829_96542182488159863_n_zpsxubwlhcj.jpg&hash=588d9ec42dcd27337b472e53d3d0f36e993160a8) (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/cmurphy625/media/11412108_10205374371977829_96542182488159863_n_zpsxubwlhcj.jpg.html)
^That's my village today. All I really want to do is eat and pass out.
Quote from: Tuna on July 04, 2015, 09:48:21 AM
The crowd leaving the beach after the fireworks were over
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1373.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fag371%2Fcmurphy625%2F11412108_10205374371977829_96542182488159863_n_zpsxubwlhcj.jpg&hash=588d9ec42dcd27337b472e53d3d0f36e993160a8) (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/cmurphy625/media/11412108_10205374371977829_96542182488159863_n_zpsxubwlhcj.jpg.html)
The Zombie Apocalypse is nigh...
(j/k, the neighborhood looks lovely. Crowded, but lovely ;))
lol.. I guess that is what the Zombie Apocalypse could look like!