I'm not in the mood to buy anything more for a while, but I did see the site ad for Congo Merc today, and it'll be released on PC (which means on my new Surface, too).
Seems pretty nifty; anyone have any experiences yet?
Oh, crap, somehow I added this to the movie category... :buck2: :uglystupid2:
Ad/mod delete please.
I'm not in the mood to buy anything else for a while, but I did see the new add on the sit for Congo Merc; and since it isn't out on Steam or GG (yet?) I can't wishlist it, so I'm doing the next best thing. O0
Anyone have any experiences with it yet? (A forum search turned up nothing and suggested that I try "con go Merck" instead. :D )
based on an older Decision Games solo boardgame, and pretty cool. Definitely worth the $$s. Review coming next weekend.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2015, 07:56:18 PM
based on an older Decision Games solo boardgame, and pretty cool. Definitely worth the $$s. Review coming next weekend.
Hmmm... Might have to pick up the iPad version then....
What? No link?
Quote from: jomni on July 10, 2015, 09:31:30 PMWhat? No link?
we're running an f'n' ad for it right now!
Click.
On.
The.
Ad!
it helps us keep the lights on around here :)
TBH, you have to refresh the page lotsa times before the Congo Merc banner shows. Are these banners ranked somehow for odds of appearance?
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 10, 2015, 10:12:08 PM
TBH, you have to refresh the page lotsa times before the Congo Merc banner shows. Are these banners ranked somehow for odds of appearance?
Nope - everything runs equally. We're just blessed with some decent inventory at the moment.
I bought it at release, and so far it's not doing anything for me. Everything (and I DO mean everything) is luck based, and the few decisions you do make aren't that interesting.
Once you assemble a squad (and there is a nice assortment of units to purchase), the game consists of moving from one location on the map to another. Every time you land on a spot you get a random event. Some help you, some hinder you, and some lead to pretty boring combat, which is resolved by rolling a 1d6. There's also a couple of bugs (one which allows you to continue playing even after you've lost a scenario).
I realize solo board games have to rely on luck to provide any sort of game play at all, but the best of them (Elder Sign:Omens or Infection:Humanity's Last Gasp) allow the player to make meaningful decisions to try to alter the odds. Congo Mercs doesn't do that.
I'm going to attempt one more game over the weekend just to see if by chance I'm being overly harsh, but I couldn't recommend it. Not so much because of the bugs, which you can work around, but because to me it's not a well-designed game.
Yeah, I fired it up again and started a new campaign. When, after I won the first mission after a couple of tries, there was no sense of accomplishment. All I thought was "Well, I got lucky".
Time to uninstall.
That's really disappointing, tgb...especially considering the subject matter is so interesting and so rarely gamed.
to be fair, that's a reasonably accurate assessment of the board game - which I happen to enjoy.
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2015, 08:44:59 AM
to be fair, that's a reasonably accurate assessment of the board game - which I happen to enjoy.
I realize that, and for that reason I don't hold the people who programmed the conversion at fault, but the original designer. This could have been a better game if there was more to it than moving and flipping over random event cards.
Allow me to give unto you, a permanent advertising link (copied from one of the banner links) (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?action=adpro;sa=c&id=12): this should pass through like it's an ad banner, right?
si, señor :)
Despite the problems tgb is reporting, I went on to purchase the game, only to find out, that I can´t even launch the game.
Everytime I try, I get an error message, stating that the game files aren´t compatible with my windows version. I´m running win7 32 bit.
I find this especially interessting, as on their product page there is nowhere stated that a specific OS is required to run the game.
I´m quite annoyed as this was my birthday gift. :'(
Quote from: Tosh on July 11, 2015, 04:32:00 PM
Despite the problems tgb is reporting, I went on to purchase the game, only to find out, that I can´t even launch the game.
Everytime I try, I get an error message, stating that the game files aren´t compatible with my windows version. I´m running win7 32 bit.
I find this especially interessting, as on their product page there is nowhere stated that a specific OS is required to run the game.
I´m quite annoyed as this was my birthday gift. :'(
Well that's odd and sucks. Try going the the Hunted Cow website forums. Under the Hex War threads there might be something about this. If not ask away. The debs there are quite helpful.
Good luck.
Contact Hexwar directly. I encountered all kinds of bugs when I first got the game, and was at the point of asking for a refund. Not only did they give me my money back, but they sent me a patch to fix the problems and said to keep the game anyway for my troubles. So hats off to them for that.
Can you get far enough to see what version it is? The link they sent me for the good version downloads 1.01. If you're at 1.00 let me know and I'll forward the link.
Thanks for all the comments.
I already contacted the HexWar support, but waiting for a response (ok its sunday).
@ tgb: I checked the properties of the setup installer I downloaded, and its said, its version 1.0.1. So I guess I´m stuck atm, and have to wait what help their support can offer me.
Looking forward to the review.
But based on the comments of those who have gotten the game to run - I'm not terribly interested. Totally luck, card-flipping outcome regardless of your in-game decisions does not make a winner for my time investment.
I've got the boardgame and it's an odd one. As others have said, very luck based, I think I won it almostly instalntly once just due to the random counter positions.
Not sure I want it as software and I didn't buy any more in the series.
Sounds like a dumb-down version of Ambush.