GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on July 16, 2015, 08:49:03 AM

Title: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: tgb on July 16, 2015, 08:49:03 AM
Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, and Shadow of the Horny Rat (http://www.gog.com/)

Between Sorcerer King, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ultimate Space Commando, I have more than enough to keep myself occupied for a while.  I'll wait for the Winter sale, when there will probably be a sale on all 3 in a bundle.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Shelldrake on July 16, 2015, 08:50:41 AM
Nice!
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: bobarossa on July 16, 2015, 09:10:43 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 16, 2015, 08:49:03 AM
Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, and Shadow of the Horny Rat (http://www.gog.com/)

Between Sorcerer King, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ultimate Space Commando, I have more than enough to keep myself occupied for a while.  I'll wait for the Winter sale, when there will probably be a sale on all 3 in a bundle.
I believe that's "Horned Rat".  Having trouble in your love life?
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 09:13:06 AM
OMG! Its like a dream come true...total tears of joy. I'm pinching myself.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: bbmike on July 16, 2015, 09:53:54 AM
Which one is considered the best of the three?
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Pinetree on July 16, 2015, 09:57:12 AM
I played Dark Omen, the sequel to Horned Rat, on the PSX. That was an awesome game. I wonder if that will be next.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: bbmike on July 16, 2015, 09:53:54 AM
Which one is considered the best of the three?

That is a hard question, but for me, I would have to say Chaos Gate. Tactically, its like the original X-Com in WH40K clothes. Just a superb game from a time when developers really gave the player options and the chance to make meaningful and sometimes hard decisions.

Final Liberation is good too, but I do not remembering it being as much of a time sink as Chaos Gate.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: tgb on July 16, 2015, 10:27:29 AM
One thing I know for sure is that a game can blow up your monitor (http://blow%20up%20your%20monitor).
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2015, 11:02:32 AM
Chaos Gate?

Finally!!!

O0   8)


I just hope GOG got it running compatibly well with an emulator or some such.  I've not been able to play it reliably since the Win98 OS.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: PAK on July 16, 2015, 11:39:09 AM
Oooooh, Chaos Gate and SotHR, later, presumably, Dark Omen, I will get arrested for credit card abuse...  >:D
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Rayfer on July 16, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Two thumbs up for Chaos Gate and Final Liberation....but for me, Shadow of the Horned Rat was disappointing...way too much of a rts click-fest.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 16, 2015, 12:20:00 PM
Chaos Gate!!!

Tonight the Heretics will burn!!!
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2015, 11:02:32 AM

I just hope GOG got it running compatibly well with an emulator or some such.  I've not been able to play it reliably since the Win98 OS.

It better...otherwise, what the hell is the point?
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Tpek on July 16, 2015, 12:49:34 PM
Need some Kleenex JH?  ;)
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: JasonPratt on July 16, 2015, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 16, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Two thumbs up for Chaos Gate and Final Liberation....but for me, Shadow of the Horned Rat was disappointing...way too much of a rts click-fest.

I think I remember being able to give at least one level of command while paused, but it's been a while and I could be mis-remembering.

What I do remember is that I never got close to finishing the game because it's hellishly difficult. Which is admittedly nice in a way: a merc captain being barely able to keep his companies together in the face of ever-increasing odds, would be trounced by those ever-increasing odds pretty quickly!  :-[ :P
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Rayfer on July 16, 2015, 01:23:54 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 16, 2015, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on July 16, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Two thumbs up for Chaos Gate and Final Liberation....but for me, Shadow of the Horned Rat was disappointing...way too much of a rts click-fest.

I think I remember being able to give at least one level of command while paused, but it's been a while and I could be mis-remembering.

What I do remember is that I never got close to finishing the game because it's hellishly difficult. Which is admittedly nice in a way: a merc captain being barely able to keep his companies together in the face of ever-increasing odds, would be trounced by those ever-increasing odds pretty quickly!  :-[ :P

I can't remember the pause thing either but I do remember the 'hellishly difficult' part. I know many gamers on these forums thrive on games that are extremely difficult....I'm not one of them!
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: PAK on July 16, 2015, 01:44:44 PM
First GOG forum inquiries are not hopeful n case of Final Liberation and Horned Rat - looks like both game are prone to crash.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Cyrano on July 16, 2015, 01:59:25 PM
Final Lib had MP capability.

The notion that they could get the game running and maybe, juuuust maybe, restore the MP...dear Lord in his High Heaven...

Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 03:25:40 PM
Both games load and run fine on my system, but I did have a CTD toward the end of the first campaign mission. That's a real bitch because I don't think there is an autosave feature.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Nefaro on July 16, 2015, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 16, 2015, 11:02:32 AM

I just hope GOG got it running compatibly well with an emulator or some such.  I've not been able to play it reliably since the Win98 OS.

It better...otherwise, what the hell is the point?

Well.. I've ran some old GOG titles which hadn't worked well with modern OSes before being sold there, that still had some crash or display issues at times.  So they don't always work perfectly.

Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 16, 2015, 08:51:07 PM
Thankfully, there is an autosave feature. It auto saves at the beginning and end of each turn. Yeah!!!
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: JasonPratt on July 17, 2015, 12:36:01 PM
Maybe more importantly, I haven't heard anything bad about the Chaos Gate port yet... {insert finger-crossed smiley here}
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: TacticalWargames on July 17, 2015, 01:13:16 PM
Love to see Chaos Gate remade!!
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Nefaro on August 03, 2015, 02:07:29 PM
Got through the first mission in GOG's version of WH40K: Chaos Gate without any crashes or freezes.   O0

I noticed someone recommended turning off the Nvidia "GeForce Experience" program, from your system tray.  I guess it had been the cause of some people's crashing so I nuked it before starting. 

My Heavy Bolter Marine was a damn murder machine in the first one.  Four Chaos Space Marines and Eight Cultists killed by his hand alone.  I think the others were just there to open doors and spot for him.  ;D   This game is still enjoyable after all these years.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2015, 07:12:15 PM
Rites of War was released today.

I remember being pretty disappointed with this one and turned off by the visual scale. Still, for $5.99, I couldn't resist.
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: mirth on October 26, 2015, 07:14:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2015, 07:12:15 PM
Rites of War was released today.

I remember being pretty disappointed with this one and turned off by the visual scale. Still, for $5.99, I couldn't resist.

I'm not sure you would have resisted at $59.99 :P
Title: Re: SSI Warhammer 40K Games On GOG
Post by: Labbug on November 24, 2015, 11:28:39 AM
GOG has bundled the 4 Warhammer games together for $13.96 for the next 5 days starting today.  I think you can buy them separately for 50% each as well.

Checked, and it is 50% only if you buy the bundle; 33% off separately.