GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on July 17, 2015, 05:50:04 AM

Title: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 17, 2015, 05:50:04 AM
This landed yesterday

http://legionsofsteel.slitherine.com/

Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: bob48 on July 17, 2015, 05:59:17 AM
Yeah - reminds me of a cross between Laser Squad and Space Hulk. Looks quite good.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 17, 2015, 06:30:40 AM
Theres an hour long das24680 video that gives you a good idea how it plays out.

Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 17, 2015, 08:00:37 AM
It strikes me as a poor man's Space Hulk.  It may look better, but it appears to lack the depth of Ultimate Space Commando.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 02:07:28 AM
Its a digital translation of an old boardgame, that looks to be sitting in the same space as the original Space Hulk boardgame, but without the GW branding.

So far, still ploughing through the tutorial missions, and its engaging enough, but they're setting the mechanic introductions up as almost as a puzzle game, and that's wearing a bit thin at the moment. I like learning new things, I just don't like being tested over a puzzle based bench, being spanked as a naughty boy when I don't place the exact correct answers. The graphics are top down and clean, lighting is nice for 2d, but the sound effects are very low key and minimal. Space Marines with big guns should go "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BRAP BRAP!" not "pew".

I'm getting it, slowly, but the tutorials don't seem to allow you to experiment much without you losing, starting again. I want a bit more tactical and a bit less puzzley at the moment. Maybe the main campaign or the skirmish missions will be more organic?
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 05:54:47 AM
Agrippa and Olivier do a multiplayer game session

Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2015, 06:15:46 AM
Agree with spelk. So far, I'm underwhelmed
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 20, 2015, 07:00:48 AM
Seems to me taking what should have been a 60 minute (or less) tutorial and breaking it up into 15 "scenarios" made up of a single aspect of gameplay and a puzzle was a way to make the game appear to have more content than it actually does.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: -budd- on July 20, 2015, 09:38:22 AM
Quote from: tgb on July 20, 2015, 07:00:48 AM
Seems to me taking what should have been a 60 minute (or less) tutorial and breaking it up into 15 "scenarios" made up of a single aspect of gameplay and a puzzle was a way to make the game appear to have more content than it actually does.

Thought crossed my mind also. I like the looks of the game play and the price seems reasonable but don't seem to be much meat on the bone for SP. Probably sell well on IPAD. I'd pick up for kindle if it becomes available, thats mainly due to the lack of viable choices on the kindle.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 02:54:19 PM
I did a thing on it..

http://sugarfreegamer.com/legions-of-steel-pew-pew-die/
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 20, 2015, 06:31:48 PM
Quote from: spelk on July 20, 2015, 02:54:19 PM
I did a thing on it..

http://sugarfreegamer.com/legions-of-steel-pew-pew-die/

I notice you gave up on the tutorial and just jumped into the main campaign.  I've been thinking of doing the same.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 06:51:20 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 20, 2015, 06:31:48 PM
I notice you gave up on the tutorial and just jumped into the main campaign.  I've been thinking of doing the same.

Yeah, I figured if I made myself stick the tutorial out, I might lose any interest I had in the game itself. It's worth doing some of it, but the puzzley nature of the intro to the actions, just had me growing weary of it all. So I jumped in. Much better.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 06:53:37 PM
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/steel-away-the-night-legions-of-steel-arrives-on-tablets/
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: Boggit on July 21, 2015, 03:02:54 PM
It swatted me a few times playing as single player. I generally agree with Spelk's review - I thought it pretty fair.

I think the strength of the game is most likely to be in multiplayer. It will be interesting to find out just how moddable it is, as that can address some of Spelk's concerns like the sound and visual effects. One good feature of it is that it is pretty fast play, and the initiative system keeps you guessing your opponents move. The AI seems quite capable so far.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 21, 2015, 04:23:50 PM
I thought the first campaign mission would be a cakewalk, and came to find out it's not.  I need to start giving some serious thought as to how to approach it.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 21, 2015, 04:59:56 PM
Supressing fire is the key :)

Initiative can really make or break a situation.
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on July 21, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
WG just got their review out

http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10237
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 21, 2015, 07:36:08 PM
Quote from: spelk on July 21, 2015, 04:59:56 PM
Supressing fire is the key :)

Initiative can really make or break a situation.

I agree with initiative, but I found force grenades to be a lot more effective (in the first scenario anyway, which I beat on the 3rd try).
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: tgb on July 21, 2015, 07:47:04 PM
Quote from: spelk on July 21, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
WG just got their review out

http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10237

That review is pretty spot-on except for a couple of minor points:

1) One of the machines does appear to be a melee unit with claws

2) Clicking on the triangle symbol at the bottom of the screen (quick-clicking, not hold-clicking) takes you to the next unit that hasn't bee activated

3) There's a difficulty setting?
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: spelk on August 08, 2015, 10:20:47 AM
Someone should post this up here, since its from the Mythical Front Page (tm).

An interview with one of the devs of Legions of Steel.

http://grogheads.com/?p=8806
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: Boggit on August 08, 2015, 12:33:09 PM
Quote from: spelk on August 08, 2015, 10:20:47 AM
Someone should post this up here, since its from the Mythical Front Page (tm).

An interview with one of the devs of Legions of Steel.

http://grogheads.com/?p=8806
The lead designer, and manager of Studio Nyx to be precise. ;)
Title: Re: Legions of Steel
Post by: Bison on August 08, 2015, 12:41:55 PM
It's also cross posted on Twitter.  https://twitter.com/GrogHeads  ;)