GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Wiggum on July 19, 2015, 08:08:34 AM

Title: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Wiggum on July 19, 2015, 08:08:34 AM
Hi !

I just started my own wargaming blog:
http://theragingwargamer.blogspot.com

I plan to post AAR's and reviews for different wargames.
Hope you like it !

Thanks
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 19, 2015, 09:22:14 AM
Hi!
Welcome!
Nice to meet you.  Oh, you're a wargamer, too?  Neat!

From Germany, huh?  Near Aalen?  I used to live in Mögglingen and spent half a year attending Gymnasium Heubach before moving back to the US schools and heading to Stuttgart American High School.

It's cool that you found us.  It's great when you engage us in discussions and get to know us.

It's annoying when you show up just to try to point us to somewhere else, without bothering be a member of the community at all.
It's barely a step above spamming - albeit spamming that's actually on-point for its topic.

Stop in, say 'hi' and have a few chats with people.  Post excerpts from your existing articles and invite people over to read the rest.  Post the entire article here, as well as your own blog (cut-and-paste is wonderful!).  But a drive-by redirect?  Tacky.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Wiggum on July 19, 2015, 12:38:34 PM
Sorry, you can delete my post + account if you wish.
If you consider the link to a wargaming blog on a wargaming forum as spam then what, it not as if i try to sell something or if there are ads on the blog that earn me money...
Is there a minimum number of posts needed to post links ?
Who says i dont want to be part of the community ? Maybe i just discovered this forum ?

Never expected such a warm "welcome" on a wargaming forum.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: RyanE on July 19, 2015, 01:10:04 PM
I think its just common courtesy.  When your first and only post is trying to advertise your own site, it makes it look like you really aren't part of the community and just trying to siphon some people off to your site.  Instead of building your own site, you could just contribute to this one.

I am not saying any of the above is what motivated you, but perception counts for something.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 19, 2015, 01:12:03 PM
It's not that it's spam...  it's just poor form.  Most folks stop in and say 'hi' and chat a while and get to know folks before pointing folks elsewhere off-site.

This isn't a "go away" message; it's a "stick around and have a drink" message.

Contrast with the way Nevermore posts the photos of their minis wargames - a bunch of pics with some info about what they were playing, and the links to find more off-site if you're interested.  If you're not, there's still plenty to ogle in the threads he posts.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Rayfer on July 19, 2015, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: Wiggum on July 19, 2015, 08:08:34 AM
Hi !

I just started my own wargaming blog:
http://theragingwargamer.blogspot.com

I plan to post AAR's and reviews for different wargames.
Hope you like it !

Thanks

Took a quick look....two interesting articles that should relate well to readers/posters on these forums. Hope to see you around here posting!
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM
Popping up here with your first post pointing elsewhere is poor netiquette and probably spam.

I wouldn't have protested if you'd been treated like a spammer: banned and your post modified and heckled.

I'm willing to give you a second chance to make a first impression: stick around, post here, have some fun. See if you like us. Then maybe do as suggested above.

But if you duck out of here without another word it will be clear to me that you were just spamming.

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners. Anyone who works toward helping build this community is welcome.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Steelgrave on July 19, 2015, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: Wiggum on July 19, 2015, 12:38:34 PM
Sorry, you can delete my post + account if you wish.
If you consider the link to a wargaming blog on a wargaming forum as spam then what, it not as if i try to sell something or if there are ads on the blog that earn me money...
Is there a minimum number of posts needed to post links ?
Who says i dont want to be part of the community ? Maybe i just discovered this forum ?

Never expected such a warm "welcome" on a wargaming forum.

You may well have meant no harm, but it's akin to meeting someone for the very first time and trying to sell them Amway. It's just poor form. You are more than welcome to frequent and participate in our forums. It's likely that as you become more active, people will be more interested in what you have to say anyway and will look forward to your blog opinions. You also might see that we are extremely welcoming towards newcomers and go out of our way to greet them on thread after thread. Just try introducing yourself first next time.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Steelgrave on July 19, 2015, 07:38:00 PM
Heh, Jarhead must do the bookkeeping   8)
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: mirth on July 19, 2015, 07:39:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

Says the guy who is losing to a prairie dog in the Wikipedia realm.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 01:58:22 AM
Yeah, intro yourself, join in the discussions, become a participating member of this community, that type of thing, then you can point us all to your blog.

I had a look-see at your site, and if your posts become a regular feature, I'd certainly add you to my RSS feed and keep an eye on your site.

Oh BTW, your site doesn't seem to have an RSS feed I can monitor :(
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Wiggum on July 20, 2015, 10:24:41 AM
Hi and thanks for your comments
How can i add A RSS feed ?
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Rayfer on July 20, 2015, 11:47:18 AM
...and for us computer illiterate types....what's an RSS feed?
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 12:02:22 PM
RSS = Really Simple Syndication

it's a way to have content pushed to you instead of going to find it.  You subscribe to a bunch of RSS feeds and it makes your own personal "newswire"
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 03:05:14 PM
Yeah since Google Reader exploded, I've been using Newsblur a commercial web-based RSS news reader, and its been quite handy to keep an eye on wargaming news sites amongst others. It's mainly down to RSS syndication that I can keep the /r/computerwargames sub-reddit updated with news. If I had to manually visit news web-sites everyday I wouldn't have any time left. You can also add Youtube feeds to it.

I think there are free news reader services, like Feedly. But I found Newsblur to be useful enough to be worthy of the annual cost.

Plus it lets me archive stuff into a personal archive, like this

http://spelk.newsblur.com/

I'd really like Grogheads the Fabled Front page(tm) to have an RSS feed, but I guess it might draw people away from the advertising.. dunno.

I can't go a day without scouring my RSS feeds :)
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 03:08:30 PM
Uh, I think we do have a feed for the front page don't we?  I thought I turned it on a while ago
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2015, 03:31:14 PM
What front page?
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bbmike on July 20, 2015, 03:48:52 PM
bbmike remains silent...  :P
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: jomni on July 20, 2015, 05:12:42 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 12:02:22 PM
RSS = Really Simple Syndication

it's a way to have content pushed to you instead of going to find it.  You subscribe to a bunch of RSS feeds and it makes your own personal "newswire"

Is that even relevant in this day and age?
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2015, 05:27:04 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 20, 2015, 05:12:42 PM
Is that even relevant in this day and age?

Well, people use it.  So, yes.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: spelk on July 20, 2015, 07:05:31 PM
I follow nearly 200 sites (194 at the moment) using Newsblur. All articles in the same interface with options for sharing, saving easily. Since my interests are far and wide, I can capture it all in one place. Wargaming, boardgaming, Science, Space/Astronomy, Console gaming, history, Indie titles, Roguelikes, Amusing (Bored Panda, Laughing Octopus, io9, xkcd.com etc.) Superheroes etc..

@Brant, I thought the last time I tried the Grogheads.com RSS feed, it only tracked the Grogcast episodes, not the main page articles. I'll try again and see.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: LongBlade on July 20, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fnono.gif&hash=53a60fa3ee0cab9716ea2a07eccbcfc22fa44e4b)
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: mirth on July 20, 2015, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 20, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fnono.gif&hash=53a60fa3ee0cab9716ea2a07eccbcfc22fa44e4b)

Begun, the Grog Wars have.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: Gusington on July 20, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
That's no Buick.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstream1.gifsoup.com%2Fview2%2F4612018%2Fdeath-star-destroys-alderaan-o.gif&hash=51e7489615d902869cfcaa5adc31704fa30d53d0)
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 20, 2015, 10:27:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2015, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 20, 2015, 08:43:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 19, 2015, 02:55:04 PM

Grogheads is a successful and significant website in the wargaming community, but is by no means coming close to paying for a second Ferrari for each of the owners.

What, you didn't get yours yet? Sucka'!

I knew I should have held out for more when they offered me a stupid Buick. (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FSmilies%2Fnono.gif&hash=53a60fa3ee0cab9716ea2a07eccbcfc22fa44e4b)

Begun, the Grog Wars have.

Good...good.  Let the hate flow through you.
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
Quote from: spelk on July 20, 2015, 07:05:31 PM@Brant, I thought the last time I tried the Grogheads.com RSS feed, it only tracked the Grogcast episodes, not the main page articles. I'll try again and see.

apparently I took it out at some point.  it's back - on the right sidebar by the forum link
Title: Re: New wargaming blog !
Post by: spelk on July 21, 2015, 02:19:24 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 10:34:01 PM
apparently I took it out at some point.  it's back - on the right sidebar by the forum link

Yay!

http://grogheads.com/?feed=rss2