GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Tech Talk => Topic started by: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:12:33 AM

Title: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:12:33 AM
Our 5+ year old Magellan Roadmate has seen better days and I don't think I trust it to get me to WBC again this year.

What has worked great for you guys?
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Staggerwing on July 20, 2015, 06:08:07 PM
I prop my 4g iPad on the dash and fire up the maps app.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Barthheart on July 20, 2015, 06:31:20 PM
We have both a Garmin and a Tom Tom. They each have their pluses. The Garmin has a one time life time update fee that's nice as it updates every quarter. The Tom Tom has this nice feature when you approach an intersection or off ramp it shows you exactly which lanes to be in ahead of time.
The Tom Toms are generally less expensive but the first one I bought died right out of the package...

Whatever you get get at least a 5" screen.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: bbmike on July 20, 2015, 06:38:39 PM
Garmin App on my iPhone works for me.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 10:06:52 PM
Thanks, guys. I just ordered a Garmin nüvi® 2539LMT. Looks like it will be a significant improvement. This one is the sweet spot at 5" while our old one is only 4.7".  I figured that one of the 7" models would take more windshield area than I care to give up! As well as costing significantly more.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 20, 2015, 10:50:40 PM
use Waze on your smart phone.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
I don't have a smart phone.
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Arctic Blast on July 21, 2015, 11:09:09 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
I don't have a smart phone.

Wait, there are TWO of us?!  :o 8)
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Barthheart on July 22, 2015, 04:59:21 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 21, 2015, 11:09:09 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
I don't have a smart phone.

Wait, there are TWO of us?!  :o 8)

THREE of us!?!  :o
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 22, 2015, 08:43:26 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 22, 2015, 04:59:21 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 21, 2015, 11:09:09 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on July 20, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
I don't have a smart phone.

Wait, there are TWO of us?!  :o 8)

THREE of us!?!  :o

I have a Windows phone, so...FOUR of us?!?  :o
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 24, 2015, 07:20:51 PM
5!
Title: Re: Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?
Post by: DoctorQuest on July 24, 2015, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 24, 2015, 07:20:51 PM
5!

6. The rest of you are screwed when Skynet takes over.

Good topic. I'm in the market for a GPS device, too.