GrogHeads Forum

Welcome => Welcome Aboard! => Topic started by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 04:57:37 AM

Title: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 04:57:37 AM
 Hi there guys, I can say that most of my life has revolved around playing strategy games in one way or another  :P you can even say I am trying to make a sort of profession out of it. My friend Ian Bowles recommended this site as a great place to connect with other strategy wargamers, being a very niche community as is I need all the support and connections I can get.  It always helps to connect with other gamers in the genre, and get the pulse of the current situation of strategy wargaming. I hope my stay is a pleasant one!

Best, Agrippa Maxentius
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 05:06:12 AM
Greetings!

Are you in NYC, or somewhere else in New York?  We've got folks all over the state up there :)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: MetalDog on July 30, 2015, 05:52:24 AM
Welcome!  We're a pretty active bunch.  Fairly friendly, too :)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: spelk on July 30, 2015, 05:59:45 AM
Welcome to the grogheads forums Agrippa! Hope you have a groovey time here. Theres a good set of very knowledgeable folks about who simply get their kicks from their grognardery. :)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bob48 on July 30, 2015, 06:42:40 AM
^+1 What spelk said.

Welcome.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: zap on July 30, 2015, 09:14:06 AM
Welcome, recent sign up myself.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 30, 2015, 09:18:43 AM
Welcome Agrippa-- always glad to have new voices and opinions here at the Wailing Wall of Gaming.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 11:14:40 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 05:06:12 AM
Greetings!

Are you in NYC, or somewhere else in New York?  We've got folks all over the state up there :)
NYC :D, Astoria Queens to be exact.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 11:44:49 AM
well, we've got at least one in NYC, and another out on Long Island, so you've got gamers in the area.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 12:05:33 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 11:44:49 AM
well, we've got at least one in NYC, and another out on Long Island, so you've got gamers in the area.
That's awesome, there used to be a massive wargamer meeting spot on 23rd street in NYC called "Neutral Ground" sadly it has since gone out of business, but i'd love to find a similiar venue in the era.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 02:23:45 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 30, 2015, 05:52:24 AM
Welcome!  We're a pretty active bunch.  Fairly friendly, too :)
Thanks Metaldog! You guys seem it :D.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 30, 2015, 04:17:07 PM
Welcome Agrippa...

I'm on Long Island, Phillipe is I believe in Manhattan and Gusington represents all parts North. Glad to have you!
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:05:48 PM
Welcome to the boards, Agrippa - I'm from Brooklyn but now live in Orange County. Been up here for 10+ years.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Staggerwing on July 30, 2015, 08:13:01 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse Agrippa!

Myself, I'm about 2 hours east of NYC camped out in the wilds of the Connecticut shoreline.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
^He burns witches there.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Staggerwing on July 30, 2015, 08:16:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
^He burns witches there.

Only if they weigh as much as a duck...
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on July 30, 2015, 08:51:06 PM
Hey Agrippa. I just watched your youtube video review of GG's War in the East. Good stuff. I think you're just the guy to do a WitE AAR showing us how to tame that monster.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: MetalDog on July 30, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
^He burns witches there.

That's Salem.  They do weird things in Massachusetts.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 09:37:27 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
^He burns witches there.
Gahaha
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on July 30, 2015, 09:37:52 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 30, 2015, 08:51:06 PM
Hey Agrippa. I just watched your youtube video review of GG's War in the East. Good stuff. I think you're just the guy to do a WitE AAR showing us how to tame that monster.
Thanks so much Sir Slash! :D I adore the game.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 05:08:26 PM
Eastern Connecticut is one of the creepier places in the northeast. Check out Cornwall, CT in an online search when you get a chance, MD...just to name one :)

Salem...pfft
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2015, 05:25:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 05:08:26 PM
Eastern Connecticut is one of the creepier places in the northeast. Check out Cornwall, CT in an online search when you get a chance, MD...just to name one :)

Salem...pfft


QFT

There are towns with more rusting cars in the front yards than front teeth in the mouths of the townsfolk.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 01, 2015, 07:11:57 PM
^And those aren't even the really creepy towns.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 01, 2015, 07:34:08 PM
No, those are the ones with kids named Anthony and cornfields containing...

...things other than corn.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 01, 2015, 10:00:05 PM
You want to talk creepy. Have you ever been to Miami Beach? Or Key West during--- Fantasy Fest. Lets just say if you drop your car keys on the ground, just kick them with your foot until it's safe to bend over and pick them up.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bbmike on August 02, 2015, 07:31:15 AM
Welcome to Grogheads, Agrippa!
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Double Deuce on August 02, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
Man, did this thread ever get derailed . . . .  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 02, 2015, 12:31:22 PM
Well there was that line there and Slash kind of obliterated it.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 02, 2015, 02:41:20 PM
You Witch-Burners started it. Here in Florida, it's too hot to burn anybody.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 02, 2015, 03:06:41 PM
Welcome, Agrippa. Let this thread serve as the sort of madness you can expect.  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 03, 2015, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 02, 2015, 03:06:41 PM
Welcome, Agrippa. Let this thread serve as the sort of madness you can expect.  :coolsmiley:
Haha I love it xD, to share my two cents the creepiest state I have ever been in was Louisiana. Something odd once you go deeper into the Bayou, the people look... different.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bob48 on August 03, 2015, 05:32:05 AM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 03, 2015, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 02, 2015, 03:06:41 PM
Welcome, Agrippa. Let this thread serve as the sort of madness you can expect.  :coolsmiley:
Haha I love it xD, to share my two cents the creepiest state I have ever been in was Louisiana. Something odd once you go deeper into the Bayou, the people look... different.  :crazy2:

^ Or possibly, they all start to look the same.........
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 03, 2015, 07:49:09 AM
We'll have to ask BB about that...he's a local.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2015, 07:53:53 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2015, 07:49:09 AMWe'll have to ask BB about that...he's a local.

My extended family are local to Cajun country.  I'm local to the Carolinas.

And yes, there's some different looking people out in the back country.  They're also some of the nicest people you've ever met.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 03:41:55 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 03, 2015, 07:53:53 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2015, 07:49:09 AMWe'll have to ask BB about that...he's a local.

My extended family are local to Cajun country.  I'm local to the Carolinas.

And yes, there's some different looking people out in the back country.  They're also some of the nicest people you've ever met.
To be fair, I love both Louisiana and Florida for the awesome swamps and great food. But yeah definitely seems like a country within a state in certain areas xD. The first time I heard Cajun I actually thought the guy might be a french immigrant.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 03:42:53 PM
Quote from: bob48 on August 03, 2015, 05:32:05 AM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 03, 2015, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 02, 2015, 03:06:41 PM
Welcome, Agrippa. Let this thread serve as the sort of madness you can expect.  :coolsmiley:
Haha I love it xD, to share my two cents the creepiest state I have ever been in was Louisiana. Something odd once you go deeper into the Bayou, the people look... different.  :crazy2:

^ Or possibly, they all start to look the same.........
Hahaha  :2funny:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 05, 2015, 04:06:53 PM
Louisiana, Mississippi (well off the highways), and rural Alaska all had that small town horror vibe to me. I got used to Mississippi and came to love Alaska, but Louisiana still creeps me out  8)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 05, 2015, 04:06:53 PM
Louisiana, Mississippi (well off the highways), and rural Alaska all had that small town horror vibe to me. I got used to Mississippi and came to love Alaska, but Louisiana still creeps me out  8)
Mississippi absolutely, West Virginia can also be odd in certain parts.  My memory is sitting in a bathroom stall taking care of business when suddenly I see muddy boots and the butt of a shotgun in the stall next to me.  In New York if you brought a shotgun into a bathroom, you'd be dead or arrested in minutes.  I have never been to Alaska, but i'd love to visit sometime.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 02:40:43 PM
Better the butt of a shotgun than any other type of butt.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 05, 2015, 04:06:53 PM
Louisiana, Mississippi (well off the highways), and rural Alaska all had that small town horror vibe to me. I got used to Mississippi and came to love Alaska, but Louisiana still creeps me out  8)
Mississippi absolutely, West Virginia can also be odd in certain parts.  My memory is sitting in a bathroom stall taking care of business when suddenly I see muddy boots and the butt of a shotgun in the stall next to me.  In New York if you brought a shotgun into a bathroom, you'd be dead or arrested in minutes.  I have never been to Alaska, but i'd love to visit sometime.

One thing that was repeatedly stressed about rural Alaska (basically, any place outside of Anchorage or Fairbanks) was people who put up "No Trespassing" signs were absolutely not 'effin around and that you went up a driveway  or passed a fence line so marked at your own risk. And if the owner didn't get you, well....there are always grizzlies and wolves  8)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 06:03:25 PM
I need to move to rural Alaska ASAP.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 08:37:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2015, 06:03:25 PM
I need to move to rural Alaska ASAP.

A full year after returning to the lower 48, I realized I was still scanning the sides of the highway for moose when I drove. I never saw a single moose in Oklahoma....go figure.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Just plenty of tarantulas
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Just plenty of tarantulas

True that. Although the tornadoes tend to redistribute them at random.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 05:41:11 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Just plenty of tarantulas

True that. Although the tornadoes tend to redistribute them at random.


Tarantunado!
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: MetalDog on August 07, 2015, 06:27:46 AM
SyFy...are you listening?
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 07, 2015, 09:11:28 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 07, 2015, 06:27:46 AM
SyFy...are you listening?

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Arctic Blast on August 07, 2015, 12:54:33 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 07, 2015, 06:27:46 AM
SyFy...are you listening?

They've already got this covered :

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fleakynews.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpub%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F09%2FLavalantula-poster-690x262-1411503529.jpg&hash=4b52d312cfdd722e358c9b0b049d67d3ad4bd05f)

It starred Steve Guttenberg and several other members of the Police Academy cast who had nothing to do.  ;D
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 07, 2015, 01:52:09 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 07, 2015, 12:54:33 PMIt starred Steve Guttenberg and several other members of the Police Academy cast who had nothing to do.  ;D

That cast hasn't had anything to do since 1982.  Doesn't stop 'em from doing it, tho
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 07, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
I'm waiting on Zombie-Alien vs Jurassic Predator. In a Taranchula-nado.  Starring Miley Cyrus as the Zombie-Alien.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 07, 2015, 10:17:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 07, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
I'm waiting on Zombie-Alien vs Jurassic Predator. In a Taranchula-nado.  Starring Miley Cyrus as the Zombie-Alien.

Sounds better than half of SyFi or any remake of an 80's TV show.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 08, 2015, 03:26:06 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 07, 2015, 10:17:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 07, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
I'm waiting on Zombie-Alien vs Jurassic Predator. In a Taranchula-nado.  Starring Miley Cyrus as the Zombie-Alien.

Sounds better than half of SyFi or any remake of an 80's TV show.
If they touch the cinematic masterpiece that is "All in the Family" and cast Jimmy Fallon as Archie Bunker I think I might just walk off a cliff.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 08, 2015, 05:37:49 AM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 08, 2015, 03:26:06 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 07, 2015, 10:17:32 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 07, 2015, 10:05:19 PM
I'm waiting on Zombie-Alien vs Jurassic Predator. In a Taranchula-nado.  Starring Miley Cyrus as the Zombie-Alien.

Sounds better than half of SyFi or any remake of an 80's TV show.
If they touch the cinematic masterpiece that is "All in the Family" and cast Jimmy Fallon as Archie Bunker I think I might just walk off a cliff.

You would have company.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: LongBlade on August 09, 2015, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 05, 2015, 04:06:53 PM
Louisiana, Mississippi (well off the highways), and rural Alaska all had that small town horror vibe to me. I got used to Mississippi and came to love Alaska, but Louisiana still creeps me out  8)
Mississippi absolutely, West Virginia can also be odd in certain parts.  My memory is sitting in a bathroom stall taking care of business when suddenly I see muddy boots and the butt of a shotgun in the stall next to me.  In New York if you brought a shotgun into a bathroom, you'd be dead or arrested in minutes.  I have never been to Alaska, but i'd love to visit sometime.

The guy was probably duck hunting and the shotgun was putting food on the table. Unusual, but nothing to worry about.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 10, 2015, 01:27:26 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on August 09, 2015, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 05, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 05, 2015, 04:06:53 PM
Louisiana, Mississippi (well off the highways), and rural Alaska all had that small town horror vibe to me. I got used to Mississippi and came to love Alaska, but Louisiana still creeps me out  8)
Mississippi absolutely, West Virginia can also be odd in certain parts.  My memory is sitting in a bathroom stall taking care of business when suddenly I see muddy boots and the butt of a shotgun in the stall next to me.  In New York if you brought a shotgun into a bathroom, you'd be dead or arrested in minutes.  I have never been to Alaska, but i'd love to visit sometime.

The guy was probably duck hunting and the shotgun was putting food on the table. Unusual, but nothing to worry about.
Yep that's what I figured, just as a Yankee it's something we never really see xD. A bit sad our gun laws up here in NY are so strict, i'd love to own a .45  :-[ Alas I will have to wait until I move to a new state, or pay 500$ and wait 6 months to process a gun permit.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Bison on August 10, 2015, 02:09:04 PM
Or vote and become active in working to repeal the inane laws.  :)
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 10, 2015, 02:48:01 PM
 In New York!? Bahahahah. It's so bad here that my airsoft guns aren't even legal.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Bison on August 10, 2015, 03:45:07 PM
The pendulum always swings sooner or later.  That being said I'd never move the People's Republic of New York for exactly your reason and a million others.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 10, 2015, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 10, 2015, 03:45:07 PM
The pendulum always swings sooner or later.  That being said I'd never move the People's Republic of New York for exactly your reason and a million others.
The tragic part is leaving is just as difficult, I am 26 and don't even have a drivers license if that tells you anything, no real need for a car with so much public transportation. Current states I am looking at are Montana, Kentucky or possibly Florida where I was born.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: LongBlade on August 10, 2015, 06:10:04 PM
Quote from: agrippamaxentius on August 10, 2015, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 10, 2015, 03:45:07 PM
The pendulum always swings sooner or later.  That being said I'd never move the People's Republic of New York for exactly your reason and a million others.
The tragic part is leaving is just as difficult, I am 26 and don't even have a drivers license if that tells you anything, no real need for a car with so much public transportation. Current states I am looking at are Montana, Kentucky or possibly Florida where I was born.

Big difference between all three states. Not bad choices, but big differences.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 10, 2015, 06:50:47 PM
Don't you guys know that if they catch you trying to sneak in, you get to stay for free?
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Bison on August 10, 2015, 07:26:42 PM
Wrong border.
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 10, 2015, 10:06:16 PM
I thought it was ANY border. Just one? That's not fair.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Martok on August 11, 2015, 11:04:00 AM
Welcome to Grogheads, agrippamaxentius!  Glad to have you with us. 




Quote from: Double Deuce on August 02, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
Man, did this thread ever get derailed . . . .  :coolsmiley:
Right.  Because threads around here totally stay on topic past the first page.  :P 




Quote from: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Just plenty of tarantulas

True that. Although the tornadoes tend to redistribute them at random.
You know, if you don't want me to visit when you move back to Oklahoma, you can just say so...  ::) 

Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Steelgrave on August 11, 2015, 02:53:35 PM
Quote from: Martok on August 11, 2015, 11:04:00 AM
True that. Although the tornadoes tend to redistribute them at random.
You know, if you don't want me to visit when you move back to Oklahoma, you can just say so...  ::)
[/quote]

Bwhahaha!!!!! You know I got nothing but love for you, my brother!
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: Martok on August 12, 2015, 01:54:48 PM
I missed you too, Steelie.  8) 

Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: agrippamaxentius on August 12, 2015, 11:38:28 PM
Quote from: Martok on August 11, 2015, 11:04:00 AM
Welcome to Grogheads, agrippamaxentius!  Glad to have you with us. 




Quote from: Double Deuce on August 02, 2015, 11:43:36 AM
Man, did this thread ever get derailed . . . .  :coolsmiley:
Right.  Because threads around here totally stay on topic past the first page.  :P 




Quote from: Steelgrave on August 06, 2015, 11:07:29 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2015, 10:53:04 PM
Just plenty of tarantulas

True that. Although the tornadoes tend to redistribute them at random.
You know, if you don't want me to visit when you move back to Oklahoma, you can just say so...  ::)
Thanks Martok!
Title: Re: Greetings from New York!
Post by: son_of_montfort on August 24, 2015, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: Martok on August 12, 2015, 01:54:48 PM
I missed you too, Steelie.  8)

Martok, I've been wondering where you were!