GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:20:11 AM

Title: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:20:11 AM
I haven't played Elite in quite a looooong time.

So last night I plugged the old Joystick back in and thought I'd go and have a look at the changes. I logged in and it asked me to upgrade (no Play button - just Upgrade). So I clicked the only button available and it just sat there saying "Preparing for update" with a long orange bar...and did absolutely zip.

I tried again and got the same thing, but this time I left it running and went to bed. Got up this morning, and it's sitting there saying "Preparing for update"

Any ideas?
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:32:52 AM
Again - never mind.

What a shocker it turns out to be their f*****g DRM (or "authentication process" if DRM makes anyone feel uncomfortable).

I had to delete a line in the config file. This forced me to re-enter my username and password. When I entered these, some other crap went down and the game would upgrade.
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:46:03 AM
I think I need to stop buying games  :P
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: FlickJax on August 06, 2015, 02:10:02 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:46:03 AM
I think I need to stop buying games  :P

Agreed - been trying to get DAI to work on daughters machine for ever.....works on mine fine....ruddy puters
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: jomni on August 06, 2015, 05:31:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 12:32:52 AM
Again - never mind.

What a shocker it turns out to be their f*****g DRM (or "authentication process" if DRM makes anyone feel uncomfortable).

I had to delete a line in the config file. This forced me to re-enter my username and password. When I entered these, some other crap went down and the game would upgrade.

That's a hassle.
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: JudgeDredd on August 06, 2015, 05:39:26 AM
Having found this solution, my memory vaguely remembers this being an issue many moons ago. I was tearing my hair out and everyone thought I was going batshit crazy because they weren't having any issues.

I think I may have posted in the Elite thread about it
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: Pete Dero on August 06, 2015, 07:42:13 AM
Maybe easier to update via Steam :

Elite Dangerous Steam Keys Now Available  : http://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/615085406656619496/
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: jomni on August 06, 2015, 07:58:07 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on August 06, 2015, 07:42:13 AM
Maybe easier to update via Steam :

Elite Dangerous Steam Keys Now Available  : http://steamcommunity.com/app/359320/discussions/0/615085406656619496/

I thought they asked you to buy a separate key before.
Title: Re: FFS - Now Elite won't upgrade
Post by: Pete Dero on August 06, 2015, 08:53:14 AM
Quote from: jomni on August 06, 2015, 07:58:07 AM

I thought they asked you to buy a separate key before.

No longer needed as of end may.