GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Barthheart on August 07, 2015, 07:28:46 PM

Title: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Barthheart on August 07, 2015, 07:28:46 PM
Owen Faraday, of Pocket Tactics fame, is the new publisher of Wargamer.com.... :o

QuoteHere comes the cavalry...

I'm not one for ghost stories or any of that sort of hullabaloo so you can imagine my surprise, dear readers, when an ephemeral being appeared this morning in my bed chamber high atop Mount Hexmap. She was clad all in black oilcloth and wreathed in a sort of spectral smoke, which I immediately recognized was supernatural and I hoped wasn't staining my rug.

"Are you Owen Faraday?" the ghost demanded.

"I am known by that name," I replied.

"The founder and publisher of Pocket Tactics?" she asked.

"Indeed Madam! I am the exceedingly humble proprietor of that website, known to all as the greatest mobile games website in the English language."

"Very well," she said, reaching out with a ghostly hand. "I have come to give you this." Onto my finger she slid a metal ring which was surprisingly heavy and suffused with an unnatural glow.

"Oh gosh, does this mean I'm the new Green Lantern?" I said.

"What? No?" She seemed irritated.

"Are we... married now?" The ghost flinched a bit at the suggestion and I did my best not to look insulted.

"Look at the ring, you fool," she said, pointing. And in fact on the ring was the logo of The Wargamer, this vaunted and ancient publication. "You're the new publisher of The Wargamer. Try not to mess it up. Also I've deducted a deposit for the ring from your first check." And with that she was gone.

So here I sit, charged with a great responsibility: to steward this great old site, which I've been reading since I've been reading since the 1990s when I was hunting up opponents for Close Combat multiplayer. I intend to breathe some new life into this place -- over next few months there's going to be some interesting stuff happening around here and my original site Pocket Tactics, and I can't wait to share it all with you. But for now, you can expect good old fashioned PC wargaming news right here, every day. If you know me from my work over at PT, it's a pleasure to see you again. If you've never come across my writing before, then I hope you'll like what I've got in store for you.

I'll be seeing you.


Interesting times....
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 07:38:02 PM
Does he own it now or is this some kind of joint venture with House Slitherine?
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Huw the Poo on August 07, 2015, 07:38:50 PM
I've never heard of Pocket Tactics.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Barthheart on August 07, 2015, 07:51:02 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 07, 2015, 07:38:50 PM
I've never heard of Pocket Tactics.

Best mobile gaming site I've found.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Barthheart on August 07, 2015, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 07:38:02 PM
Does he own it now or is this some kind of joint venture with House Slitherine?

Good question......
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 07:54:52 PM
Inquiring minds want to know...
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Nefaro on August 07, 2015, 07:58:05 PM
QuoteI'm not one for ghost stories or any of that sort of hullabaloo so you can imagine my surprise, dear readers, when an ephemeral being appeared this morning in my bed chamber high atop Mount Hexmap. She was clad all in black oilcloth and wreathed in a sort of spectral smoke, which I immediately recognized was supernatural and I hoped wasn't staining my rug.

"Are you Owen Faraday?" the ghost demanded.

"I am known by that name," I replied.

"The founder and publisher of Pocket Tactics?" she asked.

"Indeed Madam! I am the exceedingly humble proprietor of that website, known to all as the greatest mobile games website in the English language."

"Very well," she said, reaching out with a ghostly hand. "I have come to give you this." Onto my finger she slid a metal ring which was surprisingly heavy and suffused with an unnatural glow.

"Oh gosh, does this mean I'm the new Green Lantern?" I said.

"What? No?" She seemed irritated.

"Are we... married now?" The ghost flinched a bit at the suggestion and I did my best not to look insulted.

"Look at the ring, you fool," she said, pointing. And in fact on the ring was the logo of The Wargamer, this vaunted and ancient publication. "You're the new publisher of The Wargamer. Try not to mess it up. Also I've deducted a deposit for the ring from your first check." And with that she was gone.


Sweet baby raptor jesus. 

Did he write game reviews for Rock, Paper, Shotgun sometimes too?  Because it resembles their most infamous ones.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2015, 08:30:53 PM
I'm presuming he was hired as the editor by slitherine/matrix. I do not see them selling the site outright.

Pocket Tactics is a great little site. I wish Owen lots of luck.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 08:42:49 PM
The release says he is now the publisher. What does that means in legal L33t-SP34k?
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Barthheart on August 07, 2015, 08:46:12 PM
After some more digging more on this here:

http://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/the-wargaming-thread-of-war-and-games.773/page-14#post-1229027

QuoteI acquired the site from Slitherine/Matrix who still retain some financial interest in the site. But every buck stops with me. I have complete and utter editorial independence and none of my writers will ever interface with a human at Slitherine. I view the current arrangement as similar to General Electric owning a stake in NBC -- doesn't mean NBC won't do tough reporting on GE.

:o
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 08:49:55 PM
After shoveling enough newer shit he will find some older big boots that need filling.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 07, 2015, 10:43:21 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 08:42:49 PM
The release says he is now the publisher. What does that means in legal L33t-SP34k?

It means editor.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Staggerwing on August 07, 2015, 10:48:49 PM
If that's true then it's a wee bit anticlimactic, sort of like an unshifted paradigm.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: LongBlade on August 08, 2015, 09:22:20 AM
(https://38.media.tumblr.com/1f54e64ad8c467f5521c5db895219fab/tumblr_nnozg6xlfd1u1vo97o1_500.gif)
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: spelk on August 08, 2015, 10:01:42 AM
Owen was on Quartertothree.com forums, and I thought PT was born there as an idea to make a decent review site for tactical/strategic mobile titles.

The Broken forum forums are an off-shoot of the Qt3 forums. after some calamity.

So, he's now the editor of wargamer.com. wow.

Owen is a good lad. So, things might look up a bit for WG now. Maybe.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Sir Slash on August 08, 2015, 10:08:58 AM
Pocket Tactics? That's what my wife calls it when I try to scratch myself surreptitiously in public. Or when I tell her to fish for the car keys herself. ::)
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: spelk on August 08, 2015, 10:14:01 AM
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4097/owen-takes-over-wargamer-com/p1

Quote
    Owen
    Owen Posts: 3,503Administrator
    August 5
    It's true -- there's big things afoot. There's going to be a new look & feel, new forums, a couple of more writers in addition to the current crew. It's all under development right now and it's due to launch in October.

    PT has done really, really well. The Wargamer used to be one of the best damn sites around but it hasn't been good for a long time. I intend to return it to its former glory and then some. Soon PT & WG will be the first place every strategy gaming nerd on the planet goes when they wake up in the morning.



        @Owen - I do think it would have been appropriate to make some announcement on the PT homepage, no? Regardless, congrats, and I look forward to see what good things come in the near future! :)

    I will definitely make an announcement a little further down the road when I have some new branding to show off. :)



    @Owen - Does the new logo involve pasting your face on Field Marshall Montgomery's portrait?

    General Owen commands the Allied Wargaming forces!



    Field Marshall Owen has more details over at Broken Forum:

        I acquired the site from Slitherine/Matrix who still retain some financial interest in the site. But every buck stops with me. I have complete and utter editorial independence and none of my writers will ever interface with a human at Slitherine. I view the current arrangement as similar to General Electric owning a stake in NBC -- doesn't mean NBC won't do tough reporting on GE.

        I am definitely planning on embracing video -- in fact, when the relaunch comes we're dedicating a whole section of the site to it.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Nefaro on August 08, 2015, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 08, 2015, 10:08:58 AM
Pocket Tactics? That's what my wife calls it when I try to scratch myself surreptitiously in public. Or when I tell her to fish for the car keys herself. ::)

There are definitely some tactics involved in that pocket play.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: panzerde on August 08, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Doesn't really matter to me who owns it or who the editor is unless there's a fairly significant change in the regular commenters in the forums.

I found wargamer.com about the same time I found this place. I didn't end up hanging out there.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Boggit on August 08, 2015, 12:18:31 PM
I'm not totally surprised. Slitherine has since 2014 invested a lot in mobile versions of their games. As they're still linked with Wargamer, I'd say getting Pocket Tactics/Owen Faraday seriously involved in the Wargamer was a shrewd move for the mobile platform part of their business.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2015, 12:24:10 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 08, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Doesn't really matter to me who owns it or who the editor is unless there's a fairly significant change in the regular commenters in the forums.

I found wargamer.com about the same time I found this place. I didn't end up hanging out there.

You mean you don't find Pining talking to himself totally intriguing?
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: DennisS on August 08, 2015, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: panzerde on August 08, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Doesn't really matter to me who owns it or who the editor is unless there's a fairly significant change in the regular commenters in the forums.

I found wargamer.com about the same time I found this place. I didn't end up hanging out there.

Um...yeah. What he said.
Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: panzerde on August 08, 2015, 12:53:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2015, 12:24:10 PM
You mean you don't find Pining talking to himself totally intriguing?


Certainly one of the more outstanding examples of my point, yes.

Title: Re: Pocket Tactics acquires Wargamer!
Post by: bobarossa on August 08, 2015, 02:26:47 PM
I think the change can't hurt the site.  I enjoyed reading Pocket Tactics for some time until I realized I was never going to use my tablet for strategy or wargames.  They are much more enjoyable on my desktop.  I quit visiting the Wargamer front page when they did their 'mobile' revamp a few months ago.  It took much more clicking and scrolling to see if there were new articles to read so I said the hell with it.  I visit the forums about once a week and view the two new posts since my last visit.  Basically, the site is already dead to me so it can't make it worse.