http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106)
This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.
Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once? ???
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106)
This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.
Agree.
This only deepens my disappointment with Gal Civ III. The game doesn't do enough to innovate over Gal Civ II (which is a great game, but Gal Civ III feels way too similar IMO). DLC might be a way to flesh the game out a bit and differentiate it from its predecessor. But if this is how Stardock is thinking about 'enhancing' the game going forward, I'm not impressed.
Quote from: Nefaro on August 11, 2015, 01:32:21 PM
Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once? ???
They seem like large game changing events. But still, that doesn't make a difference to me. OK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:45:57 PMOK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?
SPECTER does :)
Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk
PE
Quote from: PanzersEast on August 11, 2015, 01:55:36 PM
Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk
PE
Think that's slightly unfair to Pdox. I can't imagine them offering DLC this minimal. This is a patch Stardock is charging for, not actual DLC.
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2015, 02:07:44 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on August 11, 2015, 01:55:36 PM
Well, that is disappointing to see them get in line with Paradox..... and I will say that events is not DLC, it is just milking.... Galactic Milk
PE
Think that's slightly unfair to Pdox. I can't imagine them offering DLC this minimal. This is a patch Stardock is charging for, not actual DLC.
A clothes DLC from Paradox is good DLC?
Some of their stuff is pretty crappy, but then others are really Mini-Expansions rather than DLC. Trust me, it has not stopped me from purchasing EU IV and CK2 DLC, but only at a substantial discount. I am in the minority that like GalCiv III, but not enough to pay 5$ for events.... crap that is like paying for Hair in CK2!
PE
No question Pdox offers a flood of 'mini' DLC for CKII etc. etc. But all that stuff is cosmetic, and stuff you can easily do without. "Events" DLC seems like a (bad) new precedent to me.
Quote from: sandman2575 on August 11, 2015, 02:19:55 PM
No question Pdox offers a flood of 'mini' DLC for CKII etc. etc. But all that stuff is cosmetic, and stuff you can easily do without. "Events" DLC seems like a (bad) new precedent to me.
Yeah...soon they will be selling individual turns as DLC. For just .99 cents, you can purchase the next turn in the latest turn-based blockbuster from Stardock! :2funny:
Not cool...should be part of the game...which is not that cheap to start from.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:45:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 11, 2015, 01:32:21 PM
Are these long-term campaign changing things, or is it just the usual one-shot random events with a few multiple choice answers that may adjust some value.. once? ???
They seem like large game changing events. But still, that doesn't make a difference to me. OK, so you now have an event that instantly causes all races in the galaxy to declare war. I should pay extra for that?
I agree, it's asking too much for a handful of random events.
I recall people warning about DLC heading this direction almost a decade ago and it seems to be happening more often lately, proving them correct. Even Microsoft seems to be taking this payware milking route with Win10 features.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/389930/?snr=1_4_4__106)
This is a perfect example of ridiculous DLC that should be entirely free of charge. I mean, $4.99 for five random events? I dunno, I'm usually pretty good about paying for DLC when I feel it adds value to a game, or significant content, but this...not so much.
Haven't bought it yet (might do when it goes on sale) but I think it is more than 5 events as the store screen says "Events include:" and then lists 5 which to me implies that there are more, how many though I don't know.
P.S. One thing I do rather like about the latest (1.2) patch is the new up-scaled "medium" UI interface, works nicely on my 1920x1080 resolution.
The did a couple of similar dlc for Forgotten Enchantress too. But if there is a positive they are nothing like Paradox. If you were to buy Paradox DLC when it comes out, I think the cost of CK2 at this point is around $170.
But, but, they are MEGA events ;D
Didn't someone once come up with a gamer's bill of rights to protect us from this sort of nonsense?
Quote from: amandachen on August 12, 2015, 01:50:47 AM
Didn't someone once come up with a gamer's bill of rights to protect us from this sort of nonsense?
Ha! Forgot about that. ;D
Considering how the actual bill of rights is being trampled upon these days, no surprise the gamers bill of rights is being ignored too.
Quote from: amandachen on August 12, 2015, 01:50:47 AM
Didn't someone once come up with a gamer's bill of rights to protect us from this sort of nonsense?
Funny you should mention that, because it was the owner of Stardock who did that.
Oh sweet irony.
He also complained about DRM being forced on users, then they turned around and required GalCiv2 to start using Impulse for updates, even though it originally didn't.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Considering how the actual bill of rights is being trampled upon these days, no surprise the gamers bill of rights is being ignored too.
::)
But on topic. I saw in the changelog for the new patch that mega events were added to all copies of GCIII. The DLC mega events seem to be "extra" and optional mega events that may or may not appeal to players. While this is not a defense of the DLC scheme, I wanted to point out that people did get free mega events in the latest patch.
Details here:
http://forums.galciv3.com/469866 (http://forums.galciv3.com/469866)
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 12, 2015, 02:44:23 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Considering how the actual bill of rights is being trampled upon these days, no surprise the gamers bill of rights is being ignored too.
::)
But on topic. I saw in the changelog for the new patch that mega events were added to all copies of GCIII. The DLC mega events seem to be "extra" and optional mega events that may or may not appeal to players. While this is not a defense of the DLC scheme, I wanted to point out that people did get free mega events in the latest patch.
Details here:
http://forums.galciv3.com/469866 (http://forums.galciv3.com/469866)
I guess its ok, so long as those rights are being trampled in the name of liberal progressivism. I'm talking about the rights of gamers, of course.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 12, 2015, 02:44:23 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Considering how the actual bill of rights is being trampled upon these days, no surprise the gamers bill of rights is being ignored too.
::)
But on topic. I saw in the changelog for the new patch that mega events were added to all copies of GCIII. The DLC mega events seem to be "extra" and optional mega events that may or may not appeal to players. While this is not a defense of the DLC scheme, I wanted to point out that people did get free mega events in the latest patch.
Details here:
http://forums.galciv3.com/469866 (http://forums.galciv3.com/469866)
I guess its ok, so long as those rights are being trampled in the name of liberal progressivism.
Yeah, it's become okay to toss checks & balances out the window.. with the same progressive excuse.
FWIW here's Brad's "Gamer's Bill of Rights":
1. Gamers shall have the right to return games that don't work with their computers for a full refund.
2. Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
3. Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game's release.
4. Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
5. Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will play adequately on that computer.
6. Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their consent.
7. Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
8. Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
9. Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the Internet every time they wish to play.
10.Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.
They have failed on 2, 4 and 9 so far but don't see anything concerning screwing the customer base with crappy dlc's.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 12, 2015, 02:44:23 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2015, 06:49:34 AM
Considering how the actual bill of rights is being trampled upon these days, no surprise the gamers bill of rights is being ignored too.
::)
But on topic. I saw in the changelog for the new patch that mega events were added to all copies of GCIII. The DLC mega events seem to be "extra" and optional mega events that may or may not appeal to players. While this is not a defense of the DLC scheme, I wanted to point out that people did get free mega events in the latest patch.
Details here:
http://forums.galciv3.com/469866 (http://forums.galciv3.com/469866)
I guess its ok, so long as those rights are being trampled in the name of liberal progressivism. I'm talking about the rights of gamers, of course.
Nice to see R&P bleed into a conversation about a game that axed politics from its features in the last iteration. Good show!
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
What he said.
:tickedoff:
Thunderdome!!1
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 13, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
Only if the DLC is created through exploitation of child labor working oppressive hours while earning a wage that is well below the legal minimum.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 13, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
Only if the DLC is created through exploitation of child labor working oppressive hours while earning a wage that is well below the legal minimum.
Don't forget the benefits of endemic communist shit paper shortages!
Thunderdome!!1
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 13, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
Only if the DLC is created through exploitation of child labor working oppressive hours while earning a wage that is well below the legal minimum.
Don't forget, Progressive Socialists love DRM, since it means that the right to access games is held collectively rather than individually. Steam is just one big socialist commune.
Technically, it's all under the purview of a privately owned company. Which can basically tell us to rectally tickle our throats with our own fingers, if we have any problem with the way they're so capably handling this massive social endeavor.
Needs Moar Roosevelt.
The awesome one.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-IeHPckDGHYU%2FTWWw13t_BII%2FAAAAAAAAD-w%2FH0XUqq_YOQk%2Fs1600%2Fteddy_roosevelt_vs__bigfoot_by_sharpwriter.jpg&hash=6cb39f95011ec3282a30ce3c67d66bb9f51d3998)
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 14, 2015, 12:32:38 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 13, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
Only if the DLC is created through exploitation of child labor working oppressive hours while earning a wage that is well below the legal minimum.
Don't forget, Progressive Socialists love DRM, since it means that the right to access games is held collectively rather than individually. Steam is just one big socialist commune.
"Grogs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your DRM / DLC!" - with apologies to Marx and Engels.
That reminds me I need to have another go at Revolution Under Siege now I've given in to the running dogs of capitalisim and upgraded to the Gold edition :)
Quote from: Nefaro on August 14, 2015, 03:23:43 PM
Needs Moar Roosevelt.
Roosevelt shooting Sasquatch will be available as DLC for Gal Civ III, for $4.99. It will be bundled with the ability to colonize planets.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 14, 2015, 04:58:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 14, 2015, 03:23:43 PM
Needs Moar Roosevelt.
Roosevelt shooting Sasquatch will be available as DLC for Gal Civ III, for $4.99. It will be bundled with the ability to colonize planets.
...and that is DLC I would actually consider buying.
"Stardock DLC is stupid and crap. Paradox DLC is stupid and crap. Don't even ask me about those losers at Bethesda and their so-call horse armor. I make DLC for winners. Nobody makes DLC as great as mine, and I have a lot of people who love my DLC and buy my DlC and tell me how much they love it, especially the Mexicans." - Donald Trump
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2015, 05:53:48 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 13, 2015, 09:46:03 PM
Besides shouldn't conservatives like DLC? Unencumbered capitalism and all? :coolsmiley:
Only if the DLC is created through exploitation of child labor working oppressive hours while earning a wage that is well below the legal minimum.
Do the child labourers get a free copy as largesse from their magnaminous employers? ;) :2funny:
Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 14, 2015, 04:58:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 14, 2015, 03:23:43 PM
Needs Moar Roosevelt.
Roosevelt shooting Sasquatch will be available as DLC for Gal Civ III, for $4.99. It will be bundled with the ability to colonize planets.
ROFL! :2funny:
Maybe they can make a DLC where you get to train your green card or illegal alien replacement before they put you onto the welfare lines.
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
.. I make DLC for winners. ..
I vote tgb winning the internets. He's an F-18. O0
With accompanying personal plates denoting such:
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg1.etsystatic.com%2F000%2F0%2F5726227%2Fil_570xN.227469685.jpg&hash=e8d60e4288e797698817da6bfcd1c1dbe3359648)
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
"Stardock DLC is stupid and crap. Paradox DLC is stupid and crap. Don't even ask me about those losers at Bethesda and their so-call horse armor. I make DLC for winners. Nobody makes DLC as great as mine, and I have a lot of people who love my DLC and buy my DlC and tell me how much they love it, especially the Mexicans." - Donald Trump
:)
Are you guys really going to elect him?
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 14, 2015, 07:21:38 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 06:39:33 PM
"Stardock DLC is stupid and crap. Paradox DLC is stupid and crap. Don't even ask me about those losers at Bethesda and their so-call horse armor. I make DLC for winners. Nobody makes DLC as great as mine, and I have a lot of people who love my DLC and buy my DlC and tell me how much they love it, especially the Mexicans." - Donald Trump
:)
Are you guys really going to elect him?
I witnessed a British lady (visiting friends in US) stand up in a packed public theater and admit the stereotyping of Americans, in the UK, was wrong. Around four years ago at a Kevin Smith thing.
Got some laughs out of the examples given. ;D Fun was had. References to "God, Guns, and Grilled Cheeseburgers". :))
They laughed at Reagan, too.
Just sayin'.
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 07:32:03 PM
They laughed at Reagan, too.
Just sayin'.
Reagan actually had a sense of humor. Very rare in the politician business. ;)
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 07:32:03 PM
They laughed at Reagan, too.
Just sayin'.
Hopefully then it will be a lesson learned not to go down that road again.
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 07:32:03 PM
They laughed at Reagan, too.
Just sayin'.
Yeah, but Reagan had been governor of California!
Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2015, 07:43:04 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2015, 07:32:03 PM
They laughed at Reagan, too.
Just sayin'.
Yeah, but Reagan had been governor of California!
And a few less bankruptcies...