According to RPS, older CD-ROM games that use Securom or SafeDisc DRM won't run on Windows 10. MS says this is to keep us safer from viruses. :tickedoff:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/ (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/)
There have been problems with them on Windows since Vista already. There are already compatibility problems.
Best you can hope for is finding a no-disk check crack that works. That's the only solution I can see.
So to play the games we paid for legitimately, we have to resort to using an illegal crack which likely involves searching through infected sites for a potentially infected .exe?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi0.kym-cdn.com%2Fphotos%2Fimages%2Fnewsfeed%2F000%2F001%2F582%2Fpicard-facepalm.jpg%3F1240934151&hash=8eec0977556b8f94f47c5ec68727e941ebefe3f2)
Maybe you could use a virtual machine on a windows 10 system to use old DRMs
BUT im fed-up with anti-virus and compatability of my old software, I think matrix have seen this and are releasing games on iPad, I like ipad its safe to shop online and its a new way to game. Its desktop power and the graphics are nice.
I also like the steam machine as it dosnt need anti-virus either and can run top end games, with a brill controller
I will continue to use older windows PCs offline, but what Ive seen a new windows system isn't what I want, BUT I suppose a gaming PC just used for gamimg may be ok, Ive heard Win10 may be subscription based(Icant see it being true does anybody know who has it)
Quote from: Ian C on August 17, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
So to play the games we paid for legitimately, we have to resort to using an illegal crack which likely involves searching through infected sites for a potentially infected .exe?
Just one of the results of DRM. Even if it's not too buggy by itself, there will always be possible compatibility issues for that crap in the future.
At least there is an option, of sorts. It's nobody's fault but the publisher who put the DRM on in the first place AFAIC.
This is what those of us vehemently opposed to DRM have been banging on about for a long time. It's a stupid, shortsighted strategy which benefits absolutely nobody (including the publishers) whilst frequently punishing paying customers. It's heartening to see "no DRM" appear as a badge of honour on many, if not most, of new games these days.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 17, 2015, 04:43:06 PM
This is what those of us vehemently opposed to DRM have been banging on about for a long time. It's a stupid, shortsighted strategy which benefits absolutely nobody (including the publishers) whilst frequently punishing paying customers. It's heartening to see "no DRM" appear as a badge of honour on many, if not most, of new games these days.
Huw , how is Linux for anti-virus , because the steam box is Linux?
I suppose a gaming PC just used for gamimg may be ok, Ive heard Win10 may be 12 month subscription based & no new windows versions, its all done by windows update(I cant see it being true does anybody know who has it) I should do a search I suppose
Quote from: gameleaper on August 17, 2015, 05:19:10 PM
Huw , how is Linux for anti-virus , because the steam box is Linux?
The Steam Box is indeed (based on) Linux, but make no mistake, it's for gaming and nothing else. As for security concerns etc, well, there's never been a virus in the wild that can affect Linux to my knowledge. I've never run antivirus software on Linux, no malware scanners, and no software firewalls (I do use my router's SPI firewall however).
QuoteIve heard Win10 may be 12 month subscription based & no new windows versions, its all done by windows update(I cant see it being true does anybody know who has it) I should do a search I suppose
Microsoft will undoubtedly do something like this. They've said that Windows 10 will be the last Windows, so yeah, you can absolutely expect paid-for updates or something along those lines. Unless you're so beholden to nice graphics that you must have DX12 (which Vulkan will blow out of the water by the way), and care more about shiny stuff than your own security and privacy, there's absolutely no reason to install Windows 10.
57% of my Steam library now natively supports Linux. That's astonishing. And the ratio improves all the time. Apparently Valve give unspecified help to developers who support Linux/SteamOS. Linux is the future. ;)
Except you will have to eventually upgrade your old version of Windows at some point. Might as well do it now if it's free. Every version of Windows seems to raise privacy concerns and they always seem to be overblown. I think Windows 10 is about more than "shiny stuff". I like it so far and have had ZERO problems. I've tried Linux before and always end up removing it. It can't compete with Windows. 100% of my Steam library works with Windows 10. I would love to see Linux grow and get to 100% compatibility but I just don't see it ever happening.
A reasonable post mate, with this exception:
Quote from: bbmike on August 17, 2015, 06:09:43 PM
Every version of Windows seems to raise privacy concerns and they always seem to be overblown.
Most definitely not overblown, unless you're cool with (for example) exploits being fed directly to your government to allow it to spy on you - the definition of a privacy concern, yes? This isn't tin-foil-hat stuff, this
actually happens. Plus the general point that Windows has always been, and presumably always will be, an incredibly insecure OS.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 17, 2015, 05:51:44 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 17, 2015, 05:19:10 PM
Huw , how is Linux for anti-virus , because the steam box is Linux?
The Steam Box is indeed (based on) Linux, but make no mistake, it's for gaming and nothing else. As for security concerns etc, well, there's never been a virus in the wild that can affect Linux to my knowledge. I've never run antivirus software on Linux, no malware scanners, and no software firewalls (I do use my router's SPI firewall however).
QuoteIve heard Win10 may be 12 month subscription based & no new windows versions, its all done by windows update(I cant see it being true does anybody know who has it) I should do a search I suppose
Microsoft will undoubtedly do something like this. They've said that Windows 10 will be the last Windows, so yeah, you can absolutely expect paid-for updates or something along those lines. Unless you're so beholden to nice graphics that you must have DX12 (which Vulkan will blow out of the water by the way), and care more about shiny stuff than your own security and privacy, there's absolutely no reason to install Windows 10.
57% of my Steam library now natively supports Linux. That's astonishing. And the ratio improves all the time. Apparently Valve give unspecified help to developers who support Linux/SteamOS. Linux is the future. ;)
Thanks Huw, that's what I wanted to know, I think steam boxes will have DX>? card support
Quote from: bbmike on August 17, 2015, 06:09:43 PM
Except you will have to eventually upgrade your old version of Windows at some point. Might as well do it now if it's free. Every version of Windows seems to raise privacy concerns and they always seem to be overblown. I think Windows 10 is about more than "shiny stuff". I like it so far and have had ZERO problems. I've tried Linux before and always end up removing it. It can't compete with Windows. 100% of my Steam library works with Windows 10. I would love to see Linux grow and get to 100% compatibility but I just don't see it ever happening.
bb I don't think I will ever upgrade, Im keeping my PCs for Gog stuff etc... I may buy a win 10 PC in the future for stuff I cant do on win 8, but remember if you upgrade there is only one month before your stuck with it( I think your install key only will work on win 10, I saw some stuff about this where even a computer bought with win 8 system disks wont allow you to go back to win 9/7) bb you may wish you keep win 7/8 foe AoR and stuff like that
bb I think the steam box is a dumbed down user friendly version of Linuxm you never know your using Linux, its like xbox dash
I also remember old upgrades I did where My computer wasn't powerfull enough after a new windows upgrade, even if the specs say your ok, best to buy a win10 machine instead IMHO
Quote from: gameleaper on August 17, 2015, 06:35:15 PM
bb I think the steam box is a dumbed down user friendly version of Linuxm you never know your using Linux, its like xbox dash
It's basically a box running Steam permanently in Big Picture mode. You aren't "supposed" to drop out to a desktop or anything (although it is possible).
I just read there is an alienware high end SteamBox, looks like an xmass gift to myself
Quote from: gameleaper on August 18, 2015, 01:14:17 AM
I just read there is an alienware high end SteamBox, looks like an xmass gift to myself
The Alienware Alpha. I have on myself and love it. If you do get one I highly recommend getting a SSD to replace the regular hard drive. Also, I've read some of the new models won't let you have the option to switch to Windows if you want to (in case you need a desktop as well).
Quote from: Nefaro on August 17, 2015, 04:41:39 PM
Quote from: Ian C on August 17, 2015, 04:09:18 PM
So to play the games we paid for legitimately, we have to resort to using an illegal crack which likely involves searching through infected sites for a potentially infected .exe?
Just one of the results of DRM. Even if it's not too buggy by itself, there will always be possible compatibility issues for that crap in the future.
At least there is an option, of sorts. It's nobody's fault but the publisher who put the DRM on in the first place AFAIC.
So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?
I continue to be Win Ten Free! >:D
(Though most older SecuRom titles are available for rebuy, sometimes at deep discounts, on GoG nowadays anyway.)
Quote from: Ian C on August 18, 2015, 07:57:19 AM
So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?
I also continue to wonder how "future proof" my Steam purchases are. :-\
Quote from: bbmike on August 18, 2015, 11:04:13 AM
I also continue to wonder how "future proof" my Steam purchases are. :-\
That would appear to be a cause for concern. Particularly since many games on Steam have their own DRM in addition to whatever DRM Steam uses for the title.
I don't think there are any good solutions. Let's just hope GoG continues to thrive, and keeps their portfolio up to date.
Quote from: Ian C on August 18, 2015, 07:57:19 AM
So it seems the only way to 'future proof' our purchases with DRM is to 'invest' in a no-cd crack?. Morally, I have no issues with that, seeing as I buy all my games legitimately. If I choose to alter the game .exe, then that's a breach of the EULA, not the law?
Yup. EULA territory. Publishers put anything they want into EULAs so take that as it is - companies making their own rules that may or may not stand up to legal scrutiny or procedures.
Remember when one game company added the clause that they will "own your eternal soul" if you agree to their EULA? To make a point about game companies' increasingly ridiculous EULAs and DRM, of course. Made a brilliant point. They removed that shortly afterward, of course. ;D
I don't have any qualms about circumventing such things in order to get something I own working properly. Shouldn't have been crippled with the junk in the first place. :knuppel2:
I remember playing games on my Atari 800XL, others played on Commodores. Heck, I'll go back to my first computer, a Sinclair ZX81. I'm pretty sure they don't make those system anymore. Anyone still games on 5 1/4" floppys they cannot play because they cannot find a drive for that size disk anymore. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked that given enough time, you're current software will not run on newer OS's and hardware.
Actually, it's perfectly possible to play all those old games, you don't even need the original hardware any more.
Also your comparison is somewhat disingenuous. You're comparing today's games to games that are literally decades old. This latest development means that in certain scenarios even GTA4 can't be played; hardly an ancient game.
I'll never understand why people defend DRM. It confers precisely zero benefit to anybody, including those who purport to gain from it, meanwhile it can and does make life harder for paying customers. It's utterly indefensible.
Interesting. I didn't know if someone still had their old disks from Atari and Commodore they could load them on their Windows machine.
As for defending DRM, I'm not. My point is valid though. Given time and your current library of software may be unusable do to lack of hardware and or OS support.
Quote from: bbmike on August 18, 2015, 05:20:48 AM
Quote from: gameleaper on August 18, 2015, 01:14:17 AM
I just read there is an alienware high end SteamBox, looks like an xmass gift to myself
The Alienware Alpha. I have on myself and love it. If you do get one I highly recommend getting a SSD to replace the regular hard drive. Also, I've read some of the new models won't let you have the option to switch to Windows if you want to (in case you need a desktop as well).
thanks bb I would like an SSD version too.