GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RooksBailey on August 17, 2015, 08:01:19 PM

Title: Calvino Noir
Post by: RooksBailey on August 17, 2015, 08:01:19 PM
Well, it has to be better that the dreadfully mediocre LA Noire (the six bucks I payed for that game was about all it was worth.  So disappointed....). 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/316890/


QuoteAbout This Game

The film noir stealth game. Calvino Noir is the exploratory, sneaking adventure through the 1930s European criminal underworld. Architecture meets Noir as you become unwillingly entangled in a revolutionist plot. Sneak through sewers, across rooftops, and past guards in this dark and mysterious journey.

Play as a disparate group of low-lifes, loners and last-chancers as they fight for the future of a city sliding slowly into the gutter. The characters of Calvino Noir exist in a moral universe which knows only shades of grey. Some are broken souls, some are merely damaged - but all are fighting to forge a future in an ugly world ruled by those whose hearts are cruel and dark.

Although inspired by the futuristic dystopian visions of Deus Ex and Blade Runner, Calvino Noir is a throwback to an era that could easily be from Earth's past. The game is heavily noir influenced, but at the same time progressive, reflecting a somewhat modernist take on the classic genre.



I'll probably get it just because it has "noir" in the title.   ;D  If it is as good as Gunpoint, I'll be happy.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: tgb on August 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
You have my attention. But now I have the zither music from The Third Man playing in my head.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: RooksBailey on August 17, 2015, 10:49:18 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 17, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
You have my attention. But now I have the zither music from The Third Man playing in my head.

LOL!  Oh my, yes!  One of the greatest noir moments ever:

Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: tgb on August 18, 2015, 08:12:17 AM
Watching part of a video on Youtube, this appears to be just another point-and-click adventure.  Too bad.  A strategy game or RPG set in a Noir universe would be great.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: JasonPratt on August 18, 2015, 10:20:56 AM
Or a 3PS sandbox, like LA Noire kind of was (but was rarely noirish. But it was going for more of a Chinatown neo-Noir without the artistic stylism.)

But hey, the perfect groggy 3PS Noir game already exists ($20 at Gamersgate, rarely ever on sale): The Saboteur!
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: tgb on August 18, 2015, 10:50:39 AM
The problem with LA Noire is that while it gave the illusion of freedom, it really didn't offer any. There were a lot of things you could do only when the game permitted - you couldn't stop a perp by shooting him in the leg, for instance, unless it was scripted.  Catching someone in a lie wasn't recognized unless it was the lie the game wanted you to catch, etc.etc.

After a couple of hours of that nonsense I just gave up.

Checking out The Saboteur at GGate, I saw a lot of screen shots of some guy with a rifle.  Doesn't look very saboteur-ish to me.  Besides, it uses Securrom, which means I won't be able to play it after installing Win 10 this weekend anyway.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 18, 2015, 11:25:13 AM
I wanted to like LA Noire, very much so. The facial animations are amazing, even on my ancient rig. But yeah, it was very scripted and obtuse insofar as figuring out who is lying and who is not. Once I found myself referring to a hint book, I realized I was wasting my time. A real shame.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: RooksBailey on August 19, 2015, 12:54:18 AM
Quote from: tgb on August 18, 2015, 08:12:17 AM
Watching part of a video on Youtube, this appears to be just another point-and-click adventure.  Too bad.  A strategy game or RPG set in a Noir universe would be great.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with what I saw, too.  I was hoping it would be more like Gunpoint, but it seems to just be a pointy-clicky game.  I'll save it for a sale.   :)

Quote from: JasonPrattBut hey, the perfect groggy 3PS Noir game already exists ($20 at Gamersgate, rarely ever on sale): The Saboteur!

I forgot all about that game!  Thanks for reminding me!  I just added it to my GG price drop alert list.   O0

Quote from: tgbThe problem with LA Noire is that while it gave the illusion of freedom, it really didn't offer any. There were a lot of things you could do only when the game permitted - you couldn't stop a perp by shooting him in the leg, for instance, unless it was scripted.  Catching someone in a lie wasn't recognized unless it was the lie the game wanted you to catch, etc.etc.

After a couple of hours of that nonsense I just gave up.

and

Quote from: Banzai_CatI wanted to like LA Noire, very much so. The facial animations are amazing, even on my ancient rig. But yeah, it was very scripted and obtuse insofar as figuring out who is lying and who is not. Once I found myself referring to a hint book, I realized I was wasting my time. A real shame.

You guys are exactly right.  I really wanted to like the game, but despite what appears to be a GTA-like open world, it really is just an elaborate point and click adventure that allows you to drive from spot to spot.  And even the much-touted interrogation sequences were really pointless.  Of your three choices, only one - threaten (or was it challenge?) - was the best attitude to take when examining a witness as it elicited the most honest answer with the minimum of risk.  Not that there was any risk to begin with - the case would be resolved regardless of what tactics you employed, making the whole investigation thing inconsequential.  I really don't know what the game design plan was for this game. 

What LA Noire SHOULD have been was an open world game like GTA or Saints Row where you could drive around accepting cases like a proper PI, or have cases come to you at your office (i.e., main campaign missions).  Like GTA/SR, these investigations (missions) should have been largely narrative driven (i.e., cut-scenes with excellent voice acting), with the player needing to handle the gunfights, chases, pinches, etc.  That would have been perfect to me. 

The only thing I can figure is that Rockstar didn't want LA Noire competing with their GTA franchise (which is very neo-noirish).  So what we got was an elaborately produced point and click adventure that is boring as heck.   >:(
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: JasonPratt on August 19, 2015, 07:39:18 AM
Re The Saboteur and a rifle -- yes, there are guns, and you can run and gun a lot (and hijack vehicles, up to and including some armored vehicles occasionally). It's Grand Theft Nazi.

But there's also a lot of sneaking and climbing (and relatively realistic climbing at that) on gorgeous period architecture, and hiding in plain sight and trying to bluff nearby Nazis (not a few nods to the Lost Ark and Last Crusade Indy vs Nazis movies along the way), for the express purpose of blowing things up with dynamite. You're playing an ex-IRA soldier who retired and moved to France to race cars, so when the Nazis invade and wreck his life (and the life of his friends)... well... there's a target-rich environment out there, and the French Resistance would like any help they can get to blow it the hell up.


Re The Saboteur and SecuRom -- yeah, that'll be a problem for sure when you upgrade to Win10 (if not sooner because, y'know, SecuRom). But it was also released for XB360 and PS3 consoles (I played it on PS3), so...
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: DoctorQuest on August 19, 2015, 12:51:35 PM
You have no idea how disappointed I was to open this thread and find out it was NOT about Tracer Bullet.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 19, 2015, 01:44:57 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpicayune.uclick.com%2Fcomics%2Fch%2F1990%2Fch900206.gif&hash=c5e77ed56de781d372506e2e4117b8fa03c624ae)
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: DoctorQuest on August 19, 2015, 01:55:05 PM
^I figured you of all people would get it.
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: RooksBailey on August 19, 2015, 02:26:05 PM
That was great!  I think I'll share it with my noir facebook buddies.   O0
Title: Re: Calvino Noir
Post by: Father Ted on August 19, 2015, 03:28:46 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 19, 2015, 01:44:57 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpicayune.uclick.com%2Fcomics%2Fch%2F1990%2Fch900206.gif&hash=c5e77ed56de781d372506e2e4117b8fa03c624ae)

Kerching! Internet winner for today!  Not only Calvin and Hobbes, but one of the best strips of C and H!