GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: TheCommandTent on May 11, 2012, 03:43:01 PM

Title: The Age of Decadence
Post by: TheCommandTent on May 11, 2012, 03:43:01 PM
QuoteThe Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player 3D role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm

Is this on anyone's radar.  It looks very interesting but I have heard nothing about this game or company before.  I really like the sound of the setting especially because I generally like low magic fantasy worlds.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: LongBlade on May 11, 2012, 03:45:50 PM
Wow. Just the premise sounds cool.

One more game to put on the list...

Thanks, Tent.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Tpek on May 11, 2012, 04:14:14 PM
It's that game that's been in development for ages and ages and ages. :P

Rather recently though they finally released a new beta version, and it doesn't look very impressive so far.
Their use of the Torque engine was really outdated when they started the project many a year ago, by now it is plain silly.

I do hope they will actually manage to release the game sometime in the next 10 years :)
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: spelk on May 11, 2012, 04:35:44 PM
I had a quick 10 minutes play with the latest demo, but found the game engine to be very cumbersome to use. I'd put a sword in his hand, he'd take one stab, and then proceed to punch the chap for the next few attacks! Quit in frustration.

I remember an old original Xbox game called Gladius, that was a better turn based tactical roman/gladiator combat experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAGO_CxLZ-c&feature=related

I'd forgotten it was Lucasarts!

P.S. Can these forums embed YouTube vids?
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: son_of_montfort on May 12, 2012, 12:39:09 AM
Like Tpek, this was on my radar some five years ago. I wouldn't put down money on a pre-order for any reason, given it could never be guaranteed that the game would ever release.

Sadly, the same development company talked about creating an RPG set in the Cthulhu mythos. Again, I despair that this will likely not see the light of day.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Wodin on May 13, 2012, 08:50:33 AM
When it's finally finished I will purchase. So much work has gone into it to make it different depending on what class you choose. I find there being no randomness in stat checks was a pain, however I believe thats been fixed.

Also they still have 75% of the game todo. SO I don't see this coming out until 2014 at least.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Gusington on January 11, 2014, 06:54:11 PM
Just stumbled across this on Steam, it's in beta now and costs 25.00. Anyone have it?
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Steelgrave on January 11, 2014, 07:11:02 PM
It DOES look interesting. Tempted, but......
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 11, 2014, 07:14:58 PM
I'm still waiting for them to finish it and then see what people have to say.  The concept sounds great but then look when this thread started ....
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
Seems to be free public version here...might be safer to try this than pay

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/index.htm
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Steelgrave on January 11, 2014, 07:24:33 PM
There's a demo on Steam as well. Downloading it now.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 11, 2014, 07:40:15 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on January 11, 2014, 07:24:33 PM
There's a demo on Steam as well. Downloading it now.

Let us know what you think as I don't know when I'll have a chance to dld the demo and try it out.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Gusington on January 11, 2014, 07:48:28 PM
There's a flurry of positive comments in the Steam forums too.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Tpek on January 12, 2014, 11:10:02 AM
I've played it a bit via Steam.
I liked it, but it has a lot to go before really being done.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Gusington on January 12, 2014, 11:16:21 AM
What'd you like? I downloaded the demo last night.
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Nefaro on January 13, 2014, 02:34:42 PM
A couple questions:

1) Isn't the engine originally from Fallout 2?  Or something similarly old?

2) Hasn't this thing been in development for about six or eight years?  And it's still not close to being finished? 


I've spied it on occasion but the glacial pace of development and some of the zealous indie hype has thrown up some flags for me.  Too good to ever be truly finished?
Title: Re: The Age of Decadence
Post by: Tpek on January 13, 2014, 04:13:22 PM
1) No, it's based on the engine that was originally made for Tribes 2, and was used for many games since (I forgot its name).

2) Yep. This has been in "development" for many many years. Only recently the devs actually started to put some work into it.