GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: meadbelly on May 11, 2012, 08:36:55 PM

Title: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: meadbelly on May 11, 2012, 08:36:55 PM
Wow. Check out the photo of the cockpit instrumentation.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/11/world/british-wwii-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: Gusington on May 12, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Awesome, very Spielbergian. Thanks for posting!
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: mirth on May 12, 2012, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 12, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Awesome, very Spielbergian. Thanks for posting!

That's what I thought too. Reminded me of the opening of Close Encounters with that flight of Avengers they found in the desert.
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2012, 07:06:10 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2012, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 12, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Awesome, very Spielbergian. Thanks for posting!

That's what I thought too. Reminded me of the opening of Close Encounters with that flight of Avengers they found in the desert.

I could be wrong but I believe that I read somewhere that there are no Avengers nor Dauntless aircraft left anywhere. Hopefully that's not true, I'd love to see either or both in a museum somewhere.
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: mirth on May 12, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
Apparently quite a few Avengers survived the war with many used as water-bombers in places like New Brunswick (maybe some of our Canadian brethren have insight on that).

This is a video of Avengers operating at an airfield in NB taken in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4UujXboIU&feature=related

Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: Steelgrave on May 12, 2012, 09:16:26 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
Apparently quite a few Avengers survived the war with many used as water-bombers in places like New Brunswick (maybe some of our Canadian brethren have insight on that).

This is a video of Avengers operating at an airfield in NB taken in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4UujXboIU&feature=related

I'm glad to be wrong. Must have been the Dauntless I was thinking of. Thanks for the vid!
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: MIGMaster on May 13, 2012, 07:54:18 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 12, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
Apparently quite a few Avengers survived the war with many used as water-bombers in places like New Brunswick (maybe some of our Canadian brethren have insight on that).

This is a video of Avengers operating at an airfield in NB taken in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4UujXboIU&feature=related

Actually, saw some of these puppies in action at the Shearwater International airshow - can't remember what year ? They all seem to blur together.
Title: Re: Downed WWII P-40 Found in Desert
Post by: Gusington on May 13, 2012, 08:39:08 PM
Mirth it was exactly Close Encounters that I was thinking of. The first hour of that movie is so awesomely creepy!