GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: gameleaper on September 10, 2015, 12:46:29 PM

Title: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: gameleaper on September 10, 2015, 12:46:29 PM
This May sound duh! but Play Strategic Games Tactically with small scenarios, I found I like tactical games better than strategic, so I did not play my strategic world domination games as much as games such as Heroes of Stalingrad, I started playing WitPAE corel sea scenario and I realy liked just messing about with it, so Ive started using small scenarios such as the tiny ones in some HPSimms games, and small harpoon scenarios, and its a blast, the complexity fell away and tactics worked well, so what Im saying is try playing your dusty heavy duty games tiny scenarios on purpose instead of as tutorials.
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: glen55 on September 10, 2015, 01:10:04 PM
I'm sure that makes sense, and if I wasn't so obstinate . . . but it just goes so against the grain for me.  I want my company-level WWII simulation to start as early as possible.  If there's a 1919 starting date, you won't see me starting after the Washington Naval Conference.
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: W8taminute on September 10, 2015, 07:36:08 PM
Say you have a grand strategy game like AH: The Third Reich but when it came time to fight a battle instead of using the board pieces of Third Reich you instead fought the battle out using PanzerBlitz units and rules. 
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: gameleaper on September 11, 2015, 03:03:16 PM
You could play  'Federation & Empire' and battle it out with StarFleetBattles :)
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: ArizonaTank on September 13, 2015, 03:46:37 PM
Unfortunately for my gaming sanity, I usually succumb to the desire to play the full campaign game.  Of course I never finish them. 

It should be no surprise that most of these games have either "Gary Grigsby" or "John Tiller" in the title.

I do this same thing with monster board games. 

Can't tell you how many times I have started SPW's Der Weltkrieg Campaign (a division level, one turn = 3 game days, game of the entire European and Middle East fronts for WWI. 
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: gameleaper on September 14, 2015, 07:41:36 PM
I find scaling down the battle frees you from strategy issues like recruitment or transport. I also play both sides hotseat that gives a more tactical feel to the games.
Title: Re: Play Strategic Games Tacticaly with small scenarios
Post by: gameleaper on September 17, 2015, 07:32:55 PM
Steel Panthers are the sort of tactical games I like, I just cant play risk with large scale games.