GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:34:22 PM

Title: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:34:22 PM
Well my recent experience with having to do a clean install of Win 7 has left me with a perfectly empty gaming hard drive and frankly it feels like FREEDOM!  No longer do I have dozens of games that I never play just hanging out taking up space, because I'm under the false pretense that I might, maybe, someday play them. 

It's like I have a new computer just waiting for me to download something to optimize it's capabilities.  The nice part is I don't have to load up a bunch of fancy, dancy crapola just to see how well the graphic card does at maxing out a games settings.  Also there is some freedom in that I'll figure out which game distributer and publishers are my friend on the bold frontier of digital downloads. 

Now for the really exciting part.  Deciding what game to install and play.  And maybe, just maybe I'll be able to make and keep a new gamer's amend.  No new games installed until I've either played an installed game to finish be that story line, campaign, or perhaps a minimum of 20 hours.  If I don't like a game in 20 hours then is it save to assume the game is a lost cause to me?

So far the only thing downloaded is the Steam client and I'm getting ready to download Star Wars the Old Republic.  Beyond that the world of gaming is my oyster.  WOOT!!!
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 25, 2015, 06:42:19 PM
Mmmm... oysters...
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: bbmike on September 25, 2015, 06:48:10 PM
Windows 7? You MUST install Windows 10. You underestimate the power of the dark side. Join us...  >:D
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:51:37 PM
I tried 10 and it jacked up my system bad.  No.  I think I'll be passing on Windows 10 until I buy a new computer, by which time it'll be the next version of Windows.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Toonces on September 25, 2015, 06:56:15 PM
I remember that feeling.

ARMA 3 was first, followed by CK2 and Skyrim.

It really clarifies your thinking on where games stand in your rankings when you decide what order to install them in.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: bbmike on September 25, 2015, 07:04:05 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:51:37 PM
I tried 10 and it jacked up my system bad.  No.  I think I'll be passing on Windows 10 until I buy a new computer, by which time it'll be the next version of Windows.

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side. If you will not upgrade to Windows 10, then you will meet your destiny.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 07:10:55 PM
Yes.  It's called gaming without a hassle.   Which ironically is very much what I had before I "upgraded" to Win10.  :)
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
/sigh/ It's quite difficult to decide on which game to install when you are in a total gaming funk.  I've got this sweet, sweet clean hard drive begging me to sully it's reputation with a game and I've got gamertile dysfunction.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 25, 2015, 09:10:39 PM
Goat Simulator.... Got to be....
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Sir Slash on September 25, 2015, 09:15:21 PM
Try the creepy "Shower With Your Dad" game. That should motivate you to finish it in a hurry.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 25, 2015, 09:17:37 PM
Hmmm....I'm...uh....going to have to pass on those options.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: -budd- on September 25, 2015, 09:26:32 PM
been there, i give you 6 weeks and you'll have 40 games installed :D. Variety is the spice of life after all. Besides your going to want to install all the new games you buy in the next 6 weeks..... and steam makes it so easy.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: FarAway Sooner on September 25, 2015, 10:18:55 PM
I think budd is right.

Men weren't intended to lead monagameous lives...
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Staggerwing on September 25, 2015, 10:25:59 PM
We're still talking games, right?
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Sir Slash on September 25, 2015, 10:55:05 PM
If only women were as easy as games..... I would never win one.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Asid on September 26, 2015, 02:34:13 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:34:22 PM
No longer do I have dozens of games that I never play just hanging out taking up space, because I'm under the false pretense that I might, maybe, someday play them. 


They will return my friend....Make no mistake.... ;)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.findspark.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F08%2F13.gif&hash=0794f92425da79e93c445138001a7a29ceb151f2)
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 26, 2015, 03:43:44 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 25, 2015, 06:34:22 PM
Well my recent experience with having to do a clean install of Win 7 has left me with a perfectly empty gaming hard drive and frankly it feels like FREEDOM!  No longer do I have dozens of games that I never play just hanging out taking up space, because I'm under the false pretense that I might, maybe, someday play them. 

It's like I have a new computer just waiting for me to download something to optimize it's capabilities.  The nice part is I don't have to load up a bunch of fancy, dancy crapola just to see how well the graphic card does at maxing out a games settings.  Also there is some freedom in that I'll figure out which game distributer and publishers are my friend on the bold frontier of digital downloads. 

Now for the really exciting part.  Deciding what game to install and play.  And maybe, just maybe I'll be able to make and keep a new gamer's amend.  No new games installed until I've either played an installed game to finish be that story line, campaign, or perhaps a minimum of 20 hours.  If I don't like a game in 20 hours then is it save to assume the game is a lost cause to me?

So far the only thing downloaded is the Steam client and I'm getting ready to download Star Wars the Old Republic.  Beyond that the world of gaming is my oyster.  WOOT!!!

awwww....bless ye. So you've got a new build and an empty drive and it feels like you are free from the chains of all those games that were pestering you.

Just you wait. Before you know it you'll have 10, 20 30 - 50 games installed and they'll all be baying for you blood again (or time at least!)

Been there, felt that, lived it and have a full hard drive of partially completed games and some not even touched!  >:D
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Bison on September 26, 2015, 10:36:55 AM
Nah it's not a new rig.  It's my old one, but with a fresh Win 7 install.  So far I've got nothing installed and am hemming and hawing over what to install and play.
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: JasonPratt on September 26, 2015, 11:19:22 AM
I recommend something small you can fritter with a while, as you search your feelings.  ;D
Title: Re: Clean Hard Drive = Gaming Freedom!
Post by: Nefaro on September 26, 2015, 11:20:17 AM
Quote from: bbmike on September 25, 2015, 06:48:10 PM
Windows 7? You MUST install Windows 10. You underestimate the power of the dark side. Join us...  >:D


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.meme.am%2Finstances%2F61463312.jpg&hash=976b9a65bdfeccf669d135c4a3ad96e4eb7d9071)