GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Toonces on September 28, 2015, 08:07:37 PM

Title: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Toonces on September 28, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Here's the scenario:

You've been up since 0530.  You worked all day, did all sorts of chores, and finally at 9pm you have some "me" time.

Your brain hurts. You're tired.  But you'd like to game.

It can't be too hard.  Nor too easy.  Ideally it's something you can wrap up in an hour, but playing a turn of something you can save isn't out of the question.

So, with all that said, what game do you turn to?  What's something you can turn on, lose yourself for a bit, but isn't going to tax you too much mentally, and you can finish and feel like you actually did something?

Typically I'd say quick-match multiplayer games fill this niche for me, something like ARMA 3 KotH, or maybe Rising Storm.  But man I am just not feeling like dealing with any shenanigans tonight, and something single player is eluding me.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Freyland on September 28, 2015, 08:10:41 PM
Armello
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: -budd- on September 28, 2015, 08:15:08 PM
I usually choose a run and gun game in those circumstances, by run and gun i mean no sitting through cuts scenes, no shortage of ammo and no f**king puzzles, and barely any story.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Bison on September 28, 2015, 08:29:13 PM
I really like games like Left for Dead 2 in those circumstances.  No thought involved other then point your weapon at zombie and shoot.

I also can play some deeper turn based games and feel like I did something.  Even if it was only processing a turn or two.  That's how I've been playing both my AOW3 and PoE games. 
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: MetalDog on September 28, 2015, 08:30:26 PM
Duh.  Civilization, you cretin!
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Sir Slash on September 28, 2015, 10:03:29 PM
I can usually do a turn or two of Combat Mission Whatever if I don't have much time to play. Also Pillars of Eternity or Baldur's Gate works fine too especially if I feel like just killing a few things before bedtime or while eating a sandwich. Rule The Waves is great too if I'm in a nautical mood. Opposite of that, the Decisive Campaigns series can be a real mental chore for me and I won't play unless I'm really up for it though I love the games.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: FarAway Sooner on September 28, 2015, 10:23:10 PM
I like my lite fare very light!  I'll go with Plants vs. Zombies or Defenders' Quest: Valley of the Forgotten or (if I'm feeling a little more ambitious) maybe Ironcast.  All good titles that don't take too much horsepower, and with light-hearted graphics that keep me from taking a game too seriously!
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: gameleaper on September 28, 2015, 10:40:54 PM
http://grognard.com/wargamerfiles/avalompro.zip

I find Making your own game with My free boardgame creator, from bits and bobs of art you can find. Im doing a gladiator game right now, simple logic bash club roll dice.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: spelk on September 29, 2015, 02:22:00 AM
A roguelike probably. Armoured Commander (http://www.armouredcommander.com/) to keep it wargamey, or something bigger in scope like Angband (http://rephial.org/) orSil (http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/). Or something hip and groovey like Spacegrunts (http://www.orangepixel.net/spacegrunts/). Or go left field and play Immortal Defense (http://immortaldefense.com/). Or Dungeon of the Endless (http://www.amplitude-studios.com/Articles/BEHINDTHEDOOR). Or Freaking Meatbags (http://www.wildfactor.net/StaticPage/FreakingMeatbags/FreakingMeatbags.htm). Or Rymdkapsel (http://rymdkapsel.com/).  Or KeeperRL (http://keeperrl.com/). Or Defenders Quest (http://www.defendersquest.com/1/). Or Duskers (http://duskers.misfits-attic.com/).  Or chill out with something casual like Mini Metro (http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/) or Pixel Puzzles Japan (http://decayinglogic.com/pixel-puzzles-japan/) or the more spicier PIxel Puzzles UndeadZ (http://decayinglogic.com/pixel-puzzles-undeadz/). Or Sproggiwood (http://freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39). Or You Must Build A Boat (http://freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39). Or Atom Zombie Smasher (http://blendogames.com/atomzombiesmasher/).

I could ramble on about short burst decent gaming for ages... :)
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: gameleaper on September 29, 2015, 02:26:33 AM
Quote from: spelk on September 29, 2015, 02:22:00 AM
A roguelike probably. Armoured Commander (http://www.armouredcommander.com/) to keep it wargamey, or something bigger in scope like Angband (http://rephial.org/) orSil (http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/). Or something hip and groovey like Spacegrunts (http://www.orangepixel.net/spacegrunts/). Or go left field and play Immortal Defense (http://immortaldefense.com/). Or Dungeon of the Endless (http://www.amplitude-studios.com/Articles/BEHINDTHEDOOR). Or Freaking Meatbags (http://www.wildfactor.net/StaticPage/FreakingMeatbags/FreakingMeatbags.htm). Or Rymdkapsel (http://rymdkapsel.com/).  Or KeeperRL (http://keeperrl.com/). Or Defenders Quest (http://www.defendersquest.com/1/). Or Duskers (http://duskers.misfits-attic.com/).  Or chill out with something casual like Mini Metro (http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/) or Pixel Puzzles Japan (http://decayinglogic.com/pixel-puzzles-japan/) or the more spicier PIxel Puzzles UndeadZ (http://decayinglogic.com/pixel-puzzles-undeadz/). Or Sproggiwood (http://freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39). Or You Must Build A Boat (http://freeholdgames.com/?page_id=39). Or Atom Zombie Smasher (http://blendogames.com/atomzombiesmasher/).

I could ramble on about short burst decent gaming for ages... :)

That's A realy good list :)
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Asid on September 29, 2015, 03:18:52 AM
Why not try a quick battle in SABOW?

You can select whatever the Bluefor and redfor is. Can be over quite quick.

Regards
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: undercovergeek on September 29, 2015, 03:40:42 AM
like you my games are open ended, deep, commitment hungry ones - when the time has come for my brain to say 'not tonight dude' I get a book, turn off all noise and take to the jamesons and a historical novel
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: gameleaper on September 29, 2015, 04:38:24 AM
I played soldiers as a boy, I like games in general, I like strategy - but I like games more than historical accuracy etc... that's why Im drawn to wargames, but I miss the simplicity of timpo cannon fire if it knocks over a soldier hes had it, I like simple because Im overwhelmed with hard core soloictor type games(but I also love em, just need only to buy less often)

What Im saying Toonces, is Heroes Of Normandie is out in 2 days, frig me the best thing since little wars
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: bbmike on September 29, 2015, 05:26:29 AM
I think that's what lead me to playing hotseat games solo. You control each side and there is no pressure. It's fairly easy to pick up right where you left off without much thinking. I play Civilization, Alpha Centauri, MOO2, SC:Pacific War, etc. like that. Vassal is also really good for solo play, even the games that people don't consider solo player.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Kushan on September 29, 2015, 05:42:55 AM
Depending on my mood, I lean towards either Diablo 3, Skyrim, Cities Skyline, EUIV or CK2. Diablo 3 is my usual go to. Mindlessly smashing undead and demons doesn't take too much mind power. And with how the skills system works there's always a new character build to experiment with.

Doing trade runs/missions/flights in Elite or P3D are possible when I have a little extra time and want to expend a little thought.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Barthheart on September 29, 2015, 06:47:03 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on September 28, 2015, 08:30:26 PM
Duh.  Civilization, you cretin!

Yep, CiV fer me too.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Dammit Carl! on September 29, 2015, 07:56:57 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 28, 2015, 08:29:13 PM
I really like games like Left for Dead 2 in those circumstances.  No thought involved other then point your weapon at zombie and shoot.

Something like that is my go-to thing as well.  Or perhaps the "Sniper Elite," stuff as the bullet cam never gets old to me, "...yeah!  Didn't need those testicles, eh fritz?"
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: MengJiao on September 29, 2015, 08:39:14 AM
Quote from: Toonces on September 28, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Here's the scenario:

You've been up since 0530.  You worked all day, did all sorts of chores, and finally at 9pm you have some "me" time.

Your brain hurts. You're tired.  But you'd like to game.

It can't be too hard.  Nor too easy.  Ideally it's something you can wrap up in an hour, but playing a turn of something you can save isn't out of the question.

So, with all that said, what game do you turn to?  What's something you can turn on, lose yourself for a bit, but isn't going to tax you too much mentally, and you can finish and feel like you actually did something?

Typically I'd say quick-match multiplayer games fill this niche for me, something like ARMA 3 KotH, or maybe Rising Storm.  But man I am just not feeling like dealing with any shenanigans tonight, and something single player is eluding me.

Good question.  I've found under those circumstances I can't play games (like DCS) that take a long time to load.  Xcom was good for a while and now CS: Middle East works for me.  For some reason things that aren't turn-based or that require controlling airplanes or cars or something are beyond me when I'm tired.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2015, 08:43:56 AM
When I'm looking for a quick fix, I usually go to a mobile device. Otherwise, I might boot up something along the lines of Men of War Assault Squad (or more recently, Call to Arms), a custom battle in Total War, or screw around in an open world game like GTAV.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Father Ted on September 29, 2015, 10:17:14 AM
I find Pike and Shot hits that spot pretty well
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Bison on September 29, 2015, 10:33:30 AM
If I'm in a wargame mood, I like a game of Battle Academy too.  Good simple, easy fun and I find that even if I'm mentally exhausted within a couple of turns I'm less exhausted and more thinking about my tactics.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: eyebiter on September 29, 2015, 10:42:30 AM
FTL
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 11:10:34 AM
Quote from: spelk on September 29, 2015, 02:22:00 AM
A roguelike probably.

That's what I usually turn to when in a muck and don't want to rely on, or deal with, multi-player "shenanigans" as mentioned in the OP.

Mainly because 1) It's turn-based so no time-related pressure, 2) Your character is generally expected to die in a relatively short period of time, and there is little in the way of quests/narrative, so no super-long campaign details to remember each time you play (even if you end up needing to save).

There are probably quite a few turn-based games that fit this mold, not just Roguelikes.  I mentioned those since they're often relatively short but still provide different challenges each time. 

The only real-time ones I'd consider would be something that mostly involves much smashing & killing hordes of stuff without getting too hairy.  ARPGs like Marvel Heroes or Torchlight 2 maybe.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Rekim on September 29, 2015, 11:35:43 AM
Neuroshima Hex on the iPad is my wind down game of choice.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 04:08:36 PM
Some great suggestions here.

I think Left 4 Dead 2 is most like what I'm talking about.  That is almost completely mindless.

You know what I missing?  Good ole fashioned arcade games, like Defender, or Joust, or Vanguard.  Something you can play in a bite-sized chunk with no real deeper meaning to it than to beat your high score.  I might see if I can find some of those for purchase somewhere.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2015, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 04:08:36 PM

You know what I missing?  Good ole fashioned arcade games, like Defender, or Joust, or Vanguard.  Something you can play in a bite-sized chunk with no real deeper meaning to it than to beat your high score.  I might see if I can find some of those for purchase somewhere.

Check out Infested Planet and Crimsonland. Both a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 04:08:36 PM

You know what I missing?  Good ole fashioned arcade games, like Defender, or Joust, or Vanguard. 

Seriously?

You can't browse a Steam page without stumbling onto some of the many metric shit-tons of old style Arcade Platformers, Top-Down Shooters, Space Invaders-wannabes, and other retro titles which look like they were made for the original Nintendo. 

They're everywhere.  I think at least one gets released per day on Steam alone.  ::)
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: -budd- on September 29, 2015, 06:08:19 PM
want completely mindless....Serious Sam 3 would fit the bill.....on rails....no ammo shortages...some humor....and aliens to shoot, i mean a lot of aliens.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Bison on September 29, 2015, 06:08:43 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 06:04:41 PM
Quote from: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 04:08:36 PM

You know what I missing?  Good ole fashioned arcade games, like Defender, or Joust, or Vanguard. 

Seriously?

You can't browse a Steam page without stumbling onto some of the many metric shit-tons of old style Arcade Platformers, Top-Down Shooters, Space Invaders-wannabes, and other retro titles which look like they were made for the original Nintendo. 

They're everywhere.  I think at least one gets released per day on Steam alone.  ::)

Shhh...he's a delicate and fragile type.....
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 06:10:53 PM
I guess this all hinges on what someone considers "meaningful gaming", as mentioned in the title.  ;D
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 06:50:55 PM
Crap, you're right.  I did say "meaningful."  See, I was pretty tired last night.  ::)
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: jamus34 on September 29, 2015, 06:55:11 PM
Binding of Isaac
FTL
and Banished are my go to "quick run" games lately.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Steelgrave on September 29, 2015, 09:06:48 PM
7 Days to Die. Kill a few zombies. Kill a few more. Get eaten by a bear. Good times.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: mirth on September 29, 2015, 09:09:49 PM
Pac-man. Some deep meaning there.
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: ArizonaTank on September 29, 2015, 09:33:01 PM
Quadriga
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 10:52:25 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 29, 2015, 09:33:01 PM
Quadriga

O0
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: gameleaper on September 29, 2015, 11:01:06 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 29, 2015, 10:52:25 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 29, 2015, 09:33:01 PM
Quadriga

O0

Definitely +1
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: MikeGER on September 30, 2015, 01:38:02 AM
Quote from: Toonces on September 29, 2015, 04:08:36 PM
Some great suggestions here.

You know what I missing?  Good ole fashioned arcade games, like Defender, or Joust, or Vanguard.  Something you can play in a bite-sized chunk with no real deeper meaning to it than to beat your high score.

if you have a tablet or a larger phone with Android, i would even consider "Candy Crush" and "Angry Birds"
i sometimes play this in the situation you describe when i cant arse myself to fire up a real game 

and then there this is something completely different  but also relaxing and 'close to the hobby':
watch a Review or Let's Play YT video of a boardgame!
(PC games are less effective in relaxing, they might leave some feeling of unrest to either immideatly  buying/downlaod  the game or firing it up if you have it installed play it for a few minutes and then find out you are to tired or its take to much time to enjoy it the way the guy in the vid did)
choose a video of boardgame you either have and seldom play, or a boardgame you thought you might buy on day or are genrally interested in.
(let me add i watch those vids on the tablet lying in a comfy chair, not infront the PC sitting at a desk)

speaking about a board game
how about a quick round of Warfighter (DVG) card game?
but maybe the planing of the soldiers loadout is already to much strategic thinking and so you don't get the relaxation effect     
Title: Re: Meaningful gaming...n an hour...without excessive brain burn...
Post by: gameleaper on October 01, 2015, 01:19:07 AM
I jst found the Ultimate Meaningful game without brain drain 'Ultimate General' be quick its on offer at gog