.
Quote
Bile Hussein, a pirate commander, said Tuesday the attack on Handulle village in the Mudug region of Somalia's central coastline will cause a setback to pirate operations.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/15/eu-carries-out-first-air-strikes-on-somali-pirates/#ixzz1uwk4nxg6
If the press can find this jackhole (great pirate name - Bile) to get a quote from him, why can't
someone put a bullet in his head????
I didn't realize that the EU had so sizeable a naval presence in the region. Sounds like the strike just carried out may have used Eurcopter Tiger's launched from a French amphibious assault ship.
The Brits are also using their Apaches off the back of frigates now in some operations. Would be interesting to know the details.
Quote from: MIGMaster on May 15, 2012, 09:18:43 AM
The Brits are also using their Apaches off the back of frigates now in some operations. Would be interesting to know the details.
Yeah that is interesting. I wonder how much work it takes to 'navalize' them.
Pic of Apaches onboard HMS Ocean-
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fsitelife.aviationweek.com%2Fver1.0%2FContent%2Fimages%2Fstore%2F8%2F13%2Fd815286d-064a-4e2a-9daa-cb3fda8d9b20.Large.jpg&hash=a2848df6d69143203dee2dacbc83b5f103c99787)
This is awesome. Would make a great game, book or movie.
also posted over at GN. feel free to chime in there, too.
An article with a few more details-
http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16228319 (http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16228319)
QuoteIn what is seen as a significant change in tactics, a single attack helicopter - the nationality of which is not yet known - launched air strikes against targets on the Somali shore overnight on Tuesday.
What a lovely looking beach. Too bad it's in Hell.
There was a game based on combating pirates with helos off an armed supply ship called KA-50 Hokum. You could also fly a Cobra and a MIL-8, I believe. It was published by Virgin Interactive and you could attack speed boats, other helos, pirate bases, etc.... I had a great time playing it.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ka-50-hokum/screenshots/gameShotId,464348/
What the hell? Air assets finally getting utilized?
BTW why would this Bile douchebag tell the truth about how effective the strike was? I call bullshit on the story's on the ground source.
The whloe operation must have been studied for a while - you just don't hit sites in Somalia off the cuff. It would be great to hear some more of the operational details and if they are going to amp it up.
According to the articles, the EU just changed the rules-of-engagement to allow for hitting onshore targets last month. They also operate under a UN charter that limits the RoE.
From the commander of the EU-NAVFOR:
Quote"What I am commanding here is a constabulary operation, effectively it is a law enforcement action against a criminal act," he told Sky News.
I'm hoping they'll release some more details too. I'm all for them going after the pirates onshore.
Quote from: mirth on May 15, 2012, 12:47:50 PM
According to the articles, the EU just changed the rules-of-engagement to allow for hitting onshore targets last month. They also operate under a UN charter that limits the RoE.
From the commander of the EU-NAVFOR:
Quote"What I am commanding here is a constabulary operation, effectively it is a law enforcement action against a criminal act," he told Sky News.
I'm hoping they'll release some more details too. I'm all for them going after the pirates onshore.
UN Rules??? SNAFU
^Yeah, I was surprised they were allowed to attack anything at all or even to launch armed aircraft.
they probably were told to notify the population in the area via dropped leaflet that they were going to hit the area (48 hours would be sporting I am thinking). Someone probably screwed up and didn't write the notification in Somali. As a result they sucessfully dest6royed some noteable targets.
I am certain that the UN official who drafted up the ROE was promptly canned for this awkward bit about not specifying what language to write on the leaflet.
^I think you're onto something, Windi.
Probably the best thing to do would be to drop Megan Fox pics and then hit all the bunched-up fuckers with a MOAB. You gotta admit it would make great YouTube footage !
Quote from: MIGMaster on May 15, 2012, 05:23:34 PM
Probably the best thing to do would be to drop Megan Fox pics and then hit all the bunched-up fuckers with a MOAB. You gotta admit it would make great YouTube footage !
The best thing to do would be to drop Megan Fox followed by a MOAB.
Quote from: mirth on May 15, 2012, 09:50:51 PM
Quote from: MIGMaster on May 15, 2012, 05:23:34 PM
Probably the best thing to do would be to drop Megan Fox pics and then hit all the bunched-up fuckers with a MOAB. You gotta admit it would make great YouTube footage !
The best thing to do would be to drop Megan Fox followed by a MOAB.
it would be a great sacrifice but I think we could do it.... but I think Charlize T. would be better bait (only because I like megan more from a visual perspective)
Drop pallets of rubber vajayjays with grenades in them.
Somalia would be a good base for air over Yemen. Seize it.