GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 01:36:16 AM

Title: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 01:36:16 AM
Hey Ive seen and used many old OS emulators virtual PC,VMware Player,

and I was looking at the older matrix games(and I wished I could but them), and thought it would be a great idea and profitable for a company like matrix re-released some of the older OS games on a virtual PC system?

Gog do it with Dosbox, so why not Win98/Xp etc...

Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: jamus34 on October 06, 2015, 04:13:41 AM
I think it's a little more involved than just slapping dosbox on and calling it a day, but if the software is retired anyway why not talk to GOG about reviving it, come up with some agreement. Even if the software is only sold for 5 or 10 dollars that's more than 0 from not selling it at all
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 04:35:15 AM
Virtual XP was included with win7pro and I use XP on VMware Player(but it uses your hardware rather than an emulated graphics card), I use win98 on virtual PC & Dos on Virtual PC(virtual PC is an indipendant system that will run on any PC, or at least the older version before win7 took it as part of its OS), HPSimms Games run well on XP virtual PC. Steel Panther WaW dosnt work on virtual PC, but will on   VMware Player.

The virtual OSs are free if you have a licence but for a business point of view there may be a fee, but Gog does well with it. I'd even buy the old Matrixgames, if they state they ran on a virtual OS
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2015, 05:41:49 AM
Just curious what old matrix games are worth this consideration?
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 05:47:17 AM
HTTR
Command Ops , grease ,
Conquest of the Aegean
, battle Of the Bulge
StarShatter
Starships unlimited
flash point Germany
Massive Assault
reach for the Stars
Star Chamber
Supremacy: Four Paths To Power
Titens of steel


Id have to go through the Matrix list, but Id love starshatter
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2015, 05:54:30 AM
Doesn't httr and command Ops work on modern systems? Pretty sure I ran them on Windows 7 and 8 which means likely 10 works. Plus they have released new versions of those with command Ops 2.
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 05:55:30 AM
Maybe , but you cant buy it anymore :( command ops 2 well I didn't know, but HTTR is my fav

I remember flash point Germany too, a square based game like the new one , but I liked the look of it

Its that you cant buy them anymore as well as the OS, but after looking at the matrix site there are not that many as I thought/
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2015, 06:01:17 AM
Command ops 2 is free now, you just need to buy the scenarios which they have a httr pack now. Matrix doesn't publish any more  you need to buy from lock n load games.  The base free version comes with 3 scenarios.
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 06:02:27 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 06, 2015, 06:01:17 AM
Command ops 2 is free now, you just need to buy the scenarios which they have a httr pack now. Matrix doesn't publish any more  you need to buy from lock n load games.  The base free version comes with 3 scenarios.

thanks grim, that's news to me :) I'm glad I posted now
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
I have SPWaW, but a config that will run it on a win10 machine I'd love, its better IMHO than MBT and WW2
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Staggerwing on October 06, 2015, 06:25:26 AM
Titans of Steel and The War Engine are both free now so there is no risk in getting them and trying various VMs.

Gameleaper, I would think that The War Engine would be right up your ally. It may be quite limited compared to what you already program but it is fairly easy to create games with it.


http://www.matrixgames.com/products/356/details/The.War.Engine
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 06:44:31 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 06, 2015, 06:25:26 AM
Titans of Steel and The War Engine are both free now so there is no risk in getting them and trying various VMs.

Gameleaper, I would think that The War Engine would be right up your ally. It may be quite limited compared to what you already program but it is fairly easy to create games with it.


http://www.matrixgames.com/products/356/details/The.War.Engine

I will give it a try, the price is doable :) I program to much my head is in the clouds , and I miss basic info on the hobby, Thanks
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Rayfer on October 06, 2015, 07:24:06 AM
Titans of Steel was a UI nightmare....it was so convoluted as to be nearly unplayable (at least to me it was). Apart from that...you have some good ideas brewing here.
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: gameleaper on October 06, 2015, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 06, 2015, 07:24:06 AM
Titans of Steel was a UI nightmare....it was so convoluted as to be nearly unplayable (at least to me it was). Apart from that...you have some good ideas brewing here.

Ill watch out for that UI thx.
Title: Re: DosBox = Gog! Why Not WinXP/98/95 Emulator for old MatrixGames
Post by: Nefaro on October 06, 2015, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on October 06, 2015, 07:24:06 AM
Titans of Steel was a UI nightmare....it was so convoluted as to be nearly unplayable (at least to me it was). Apart from that...you have some good ideas brewing here.

Great game underneath, troublesome and tiny UI.

I'd like to see a sequel.  Although the Battletech kickstarter is aiming for the exact same type of game.