GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Millipede on October 09, 2015, 05:19:39 PM

Title: Game purchase advice
Post by: Millipede on October 09, 2015, 05:19:39 PM
Hi all,

First of all, I feel like I know all of you but you're saying to yourselves... who in the heck is this guy? I've been lurking for decades, first over at Wargamer and I finally figured out were everyone went about 6 months ago (I know, just a little slow  :-[).

The reason I finally decided to speak up is that this seemed like a good place to get some game purchase advice. Like many of you, my HD is crammed with games, many of which I've yet to invest adequate time with. As a result I'm trying to exercise some restraint in new purchases and I currently have 3 games that I'm eyeing... Beyond Earth - Rising Tide, This War of Mine and Invisible Inc. I'm leaning toward postponing BE-RT for a bit so I would like recommendations for the remaining two in hope of picking just one. 
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:28:58 PM
Welcome to Grogheads, Millipede!  O0
I've just downloaded Rising Tide so I can't recommend it yet. But I'm sure someone will be along with some advice.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

And of course, welcome to Grogheads Millipede!

Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

And of course, welcome to Grogheads Millipede!



Why did I click the 'play' button on that video?  ::)
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:37:20 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

And of course, welcome to Grogheads Millipede!



Why did I click the 'play' button on that video?  ::)

At least Millipede now has a strong suggestion for his avatar as well as game advice.  O:-)
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Millipede on October 09, 2015, 05:40:19 PM
Quote from: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

And of course, welcome to Grogheads Millipede!



Why did I click the 'play' button on that video?  ::)

Wow! I'm wondering the same thing. I may have to reconsider my avatar.  ;)

Nah... I'm sticking with it.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: -budd- on October 09, 2015, 05:54:06 PM
Welcome

I only have experience playing "This war Of Mine"  if your talking about buying,man it just went off sale. I enjoyed my first and only play through, i didn't survive the whole way. It's an interesting take on survival. It presents some interesting choices for you to make i.e. total scum bag do anything to survive or totally helpful nice goody two shoes or somewhere in between. Both ways have there drawbacks, don't want to spoil much because finding out along the way is part of the fun. I enjoyed it and will be having another play through sooner of later. They just added workshop, but so far only for people to design characters, the modding tools are on the way. Should have a lot of legs once the community gets the modding tools and can mod all the stuff. I've watched a lot of Invisible lets plays and the only real complaint i've read about is how short the game is, I'll be picking that one up sooner or later.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Greybriar on October 09, 2015, 06:06:07 PM
Welcome aboard, Millipede.

The only game I own of those you mentioned is This War of Mine, which I bought on sale and haven't gotten around to playing yet. The only suggestion I can make (which you are probably well aware of) is to wait for a sale.

It's good to have you with us.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 09, 2015, 06:15:30 PM
I will also recommend This War of Mine, it's really good.  But if you have a hard drive stuffed with unplayed games I wouldn't advise buying any more at all. ;)  You don't want to end up like me!

"Oh, I can't decide what to play.  I know, I'll buy a new game!"  Madness.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: -budd- on October 09, 2015, 06:20:29 PM
What roughly 7 weeks until the sales start. O0
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: GJK on October 09, 2015, 06:21:47 PM
Switch to board wargames so that you can stuff your shelves with a bunch of unplayed games there too.   8)
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Nefaro on October 09, 2015, 06:30:07 PM
I've played Invisible, Inc a number of times.

It's a great Stealth game.  Turn-based and procedurally generated so that made me happy.  Very happy.

Despite being turn-based, it still pushes me to the edge of my seat.  I actually stop playing my sessions due to the steady pressure I feel when attempting to sneak around and not be caught stealing stuff by the Corp guards.  Trying to time my movements, and all the other options, with the security measures.  In most roguelikes, I just shrug and start a new game if I die but this stealth thing manages to get me a bit stressed, despite being a slow-paced game.   That's probably good, because they achieved such a thing with a turn-based game, and bad because I tend to only run 2 or 3 missions before feeling the need to take a breather and let my thinkmeats cool down a bit.

Your mileage could vary.  I've only been running it at Normal difficulty, since that's what it was set to when I first played it in Early Access IIRC.  It can get quite challenging and, as with many roguelikes, quite deadly if you make a wrong move.  But there is an Easier setting too and all but the more difficult ones have a "rewind" feature that lets you go back and try a different turn (a limited number of times per mission).


EDIT:

The Grogheads forum thread on it:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10964.0
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: MetalDog on October 09, 2015, 06:39:49 PM
Welcome to GrogHeads, Millipede!  I'd hate to have to buy shoes for you ;)
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: sandman2575 on October 09, 2015, 06:48:16 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 09, 2015, 06:15:30 PM
"Oh, I can't decide what to play.  I know, I'll buy a new game!"  Madness.

It's amazing how hard it is to resist this impulse...  Steam really does seem to tap into some primordial instant gratification instinct...
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Millipede on October 09, 2015, 07:29:14 PM
"Oh, I can't decide what to play.  I know, I'll buy a new game!"  Madness.
[/quote]

Man, isn't that the truth.... been there, done that!

"Switch to board wargames so that you can stuff your shelves with a bunch of unplayed games there too."

Before there were computers (got my 1st in 1980, an Apple II+) there were board games and I filled up my HD, uh make that my closet, with 30+ Avalon Hill games in addition to 10-15 other brands. In other words, the madness has been going on for decades.

Other than that, thanks to all for the suggestions/advice and my take is that I'm trying to choose from 3 good games.
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: Millipede on October 09, 2015, 07:29:14 PM
Man, isn't that the truth.... been there, done that!

"Switch to board wargames so that you can stuff your shelves with a bunch of unplayed games there too."

Before there were computers (got my 1st in 1980, an Apple II+) there were board games and I filled up my HD, uh make that my closet, with 30+ Avalon Hill games in addition to 10-15 other brands. In other words, the madness has been going on for decades.

Other than that, thanks to all for the suggestions/advice and my take is that I'm trying to choose from 3 good games.

You are definitely in the right place.  ;D
Title: Re: Game purchase advice
Post by: Freyland on October 09, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
It's not on your list, but I know that Freyland is selling a Steam key for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain for only $30, much cheaper than presently available.   :coolsmiley: