GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: Bison on October 10, 2015, 02:47:16 PM

Title: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Bison on October 10, 2015, 02:47:16 PM
If any of you all ever get a chance to visit Kansas City, be sure to make a visit to the National World War I Museum and Memorial.  It's a very well done museum covering WW1.  Some of the films and mini-documentaries are very striking.  Anyway here are a few of the photos I got on my latest visit. https://theworldwar.org/

The outside façade from a distance with an image of Pershing and the walk up to the memorial tower.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0055_zpstwybwlev.jpg&hash=3ac2017e70f21138648075179e7f8606292bd30d)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0057_zpsro96owne.jpg&hash=745ffbaafc04bbabde1e1f90e61a87da16f4edd4)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0058_zpsitb1g8sp.jpg&hash=3bf1ad14c5cd19c7c5211917d1fcf44f3c82feb0)


Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Bison on October 10, 2015, 02:49:51 PM
Posters and a copy of HG Wells book predicting the War to End All Wars.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0062_zpsqttaudnr.jpg&hash=6075c020e4b440c24d38e67588829b68f7bdb391)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0067_zpscxh8y2r8.jpg&hash=b6ba66d42881a958cdd2574e8d022ea59e01c1ff)
I took this one specifically for Gus.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0063_zpscsufr4br.jpg&hash=c9e484cdc0ac14481c5a227e41c55b684ffae1ea)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0061_zps374jnc4l.jpg&hash=ecf8faf531692aaad589b2bd83a08fc5b1f74c79)
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Bison on October 10, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
A few of the uniforms.  The first is an Imperial German uniform, the second is a British uniform and the Guideon and Uniform for one of the German Sturmtruppen.  And of course a good 'ol USA uniform.  This particular uniform was worn by one of the few Soldiers known to have served in both the German and American armies during the course of the war.  Interesting story.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0060_zpsjvjpqb3n.jpg&hash=69cad419800dc7e4335aa0bc9e68d4d2eb8d2e39)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0069_zpsnqiwzo75.jpg&hash=0f642e391403a7072852f9104fd4a21414e95ce2)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0071_zpssqyyc9ms.jpg&hash=ccb61da194223b140b8145d39edb313e4f1b58d5)
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Bison on October 10, 2015, 02:57:05 PM
And a couple of photos of some of the equipment.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0068_zpsexnlvtvi.jpg&hash=6e88e74a8ebd38fa5b57a07f8546236436fa8768)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0070_zpszvxh3qnn.jpg&hash=def956689a9664cb74ca89800a7c2f23d002493a)

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0064_zpsm89qscwy.jpg&hash=4c3d58846d3101f9131c1b7c281afb4cce197891)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2FIMG_0066_zpsgqbhwiqa.jpg&hash=7793651f0a960a077f22302c6a05c915d77bfa94)
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: LongBlade on October 10, 2015, 03:25:34 PM
There are a number of remarkable artifacts there.

There is an anti-tank gun, one of only two in existence. It's not highlighted and if you don't know it's there it's easy to miss.

The French field gun (the grey one - on of the first you see when walking in) had such sophisticated mechanics that you could rest a wine glass on its carriage and fire it and the wine wouldn't spill. The French thought it so secret that enlisted could only disassemble it in the presence of an officer - on pain of death.

Personally I find the purple nurse's uniform to be very touching. That deep purple isn't something you'd think of as a color for a uniform.

There is also an African-American uniform there with...wait for it...the Gadsden flag's coiled snake and motto on (IIRC) the left shoulder patch.
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Gusington on October 10, 2015, 04:52:10 PM
Awesome, I have to get out there. The German storm trooper banner is bad ass.
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 10, 2015, 05:49:43 PM
the Jewish poster is pretty interesting.
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Staggerwing on October 10, 2015, 05:56:32 PM
The Jewish Welfare Board was one of the organizations later rolled into the USO.

Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: Bison on October 11, 2015, 12:42:33 AM
Honestly one of my favorite parts of the museum are all of the posters. 
Title: Re: National World War I Museum and Memorial
Post by: LongBlade on October 11, 2015, 12:46:33 AM
There was a painting in the air corner of some aerial combat. A long rectangular piece that was quite inspiring. Loved that, too.