GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 11:08:39 AM

Title: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 11:08:39 AM
New Napoleonic game on the way from Slitherine/Matrix.  There's not a lot of information yet, not even a forum for it, other than this page (http://www.slitherine.com/games/victory_glory_napoleon), but from the look of those screenshots it appears to be from the same folks behind the criminally overlooked  Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War.

If I'm right, take my money now, please.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 11:19:48 AM
Dunno if it's the same guy. 

It may well be, although I thought he was working on a title set in ancient Rome with a wider scope than Hannibal R&C.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 11:34:52 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 11:19:48 AM
Dunno if it's the same guy. 

It may well be, although I thought he was working on a title set in ancient Rome with a wider scope than Hannibal R&C.

The screens look awfully similar.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 11:41:18 AM
Very good looking game.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2015, 11:41:41 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 14, 2015, 11:08:39 AMThere's not a lot of information yet

:tickedoff:  AU CONTRAIRE  :tickedoff:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14981.0

http://grogheads.com/?p=9174

http://grogheads.com/?podcast=the-grogcast-episode-16


There's plenty of information for it!  You just gotta, y'know, VISIT THE FRONT PAGE EVERY NOW AND THEN!   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: magnus on October 14, 2015, 11:43:26 AM
 I was thinking it looked just like " Crown of Glory"
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 11:45:22 AM
^It does, just a wee bit prettier.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 11:49:31 AM
There's a front page? [tgb ducks & covers]
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
When did GH get a podcast?
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 11:56:44 AM
Who the hell is this LB feller?
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:57:16 AM
Where are my socks?
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 11:57:45 AM
Breezy has one.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 11:57:45 AM
Breezy has one.

He can keep it.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 12:19:00 PM
That wasn't part of the plan.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 12:32:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 12:19:00 PM
That wasn't part of the plan.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.meme.am%2Finstances%2F500x%2F55126393.jpg&hash=48fe6ace94518cd5e1540ed81b1ba1d477c9a849)
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
When did GH get a podcast?

After you left the office.  We wouldn't want you ducking work on company time.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
When did GH get a podcast?

After you left the office.  We wouldn't want you ducking work on company time.

No, we wouldn't!
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 06:46:51 PM
Then he must have sold the engine or something because other than the more professional art, this sure looks like it plays the same.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Boggit on October 15, 2015, 10:17:50 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.
I really struggle to beat the AI - even on easy. It's VERY good.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Nefaro on October 16, 2015, 05:31:49 AM
Quote from: Boggit on October 15, 2015, 10:17:50 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 14, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
As for the guy who created Hannibal: Rome & Carthage, he's had his upcoming sequel on hold while "doing contract work" to pay the bills recently.  As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3002416&mpage=3&key=

So I'm guessing he's not associated with this one. 

When he does release something, I'll be having it.  Hannibal R&C had some of the best opponent AI I've ever seen, and a challenging single-player focus.
I really struggle to beat the AI - even on easy. It's VERY good.

I think developer companies looking for a good AI programmer would do well to consider his skills.  At least for turn-based stuff like the game he made.

While some of H:R&C's AI difficult can be chalked up to the single-faction focus of the game, I've still seen the AI make some extremely crafty moves and hit me where it hurts.  Regularly.  :)
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Tamas on October 16, 2015, 05:56:15 AM
James, the guy who created Hannibal R&C IS the programmer behind Victory & Glory. He is working with Glenn Drover on this one  8)

We are expecting to be recruiting beta testers fairly soon. Stay tuned. :)
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 16, 2015, 06:08:28 AM
Good to hear, and I will be looking forward to getting into the beta.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Nefaro on October 16, 2015, 01:05:01 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 16, 2015, 05:56:15 AM
James, the guy who created Hannibal R&C IS the programmer behind Victory & Glory. He is working with Glenn Drover on this one  8)

We are expecting to be recruiting beta testers fairly soon. Stay tuned. :)


Excellent!

For those of you considering applying to test for this, I'd also like to mention that testing for James' Hannibal game was one of the best Beta experiences I've ever had.  Nice guy, at all times, who was quick on the responses and very keen to implement player feedback.

I've participated in a few Betas over the years where those qualities weren't always present.  That one was very stress free and enjoyable.  O0 
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on October 16, 2015, 02:11:15 PM
Good to know.  The developers of Sovereignty were very much like that during the closed beta.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Nefaro on October 17, 2015, 12:59:30 PM
Quote from: tgb on October 16, 2015, 02:11:15 PM
Good to know.  The developers of Sovereignty were very much like that during the closed beta.

The couple beta tests I did with Matrix, over the past ~11 years, were the best experiences I've had doing so. 

That's not to say all the others were bad, but I've seen the occasional one which didn't always have the smoothest exchange between a stressed-out/defensive dev and a tester giving feedback/suggestions.   ;D 
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: spelk on February 22, 2016, 12:11:24 PM
Nice video detailing combat in the game

Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: tgb on February 22, 2016, 06:43:00 PM
I just got home from a work-related trip and downloaded the latest build.  I should watch that video just to see if I'm missing anything.
Title: Re: Victory & Glory
Post by: Hofstadter on February 22, 2016, 07:59:13 PM
That video hooked me, applied for the beta