GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 12:27:17 PM

Title: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 12:27:17 PM
Yes it's Halloween time, my favorite time of the year  :D and I'm at a loss for scary things to play. I think it's because there is just so much available now and I'm getting older and slower and just can't keep up with releases like I used to. So...scariest PC/console game you played this year? Any genre will do but I would prefer something along zombie/ghost lines. Thanks all!

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fvignette1.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fepicrapbattlesofhistory%2Fimages%2Fe%2Fe4%2FShining.gif%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20150403193259&hash=38b19c7122daf7aea5a0b632d43532e9976379f7)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2015, 02:07:02 PM
Gus, go over to YouTube and check out a poster named Markiplier. He's kind of a dork, but who isn't in these forums. :)

He does a LOT of scary games. Specifically:

Soma (a new one, he only has two episodes up so far): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yETFY9VqLbY

Cry of Fear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZp1s0qmEbU

Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=cNsUbtV001E
(he does a lot of Freddy vids)

The Evil Within: https://youtu.be/nmsiQJjVY2w?list=PL3tRBEVW0hiA1OzUvQeEHTtlcYwmmw4fZ

A collection of some of his scary games he plays through:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3tRBEVW0hiBSFOFhTC5wt75P2BES0rAo
https://www.youtube.com/user/markiplierGAME/playlists?shelf_id=31&view=50&sort=dd

His sense of humor is pretty good despite his dorkiness, which helps deal with jumpscares. Maybe search around his channel and check out a couple of the Part 1 vids to see what you think.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 02:09:33 PM
The best zombie game, hands down, isn't particularly scary - Rebuild 3:Gangs of Deadsville (http://store.steampowered.com/app/257170/).

But if it's scary you want - try this on for size. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/289050/)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(

Same here, though I've been meaning to return to it for October. Since I stopped BEFORE EVEN REACHING THE ALIEN!
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:28:55 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 02:25:31 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
I stopped playing Alien:Isolation for a reason  :'(

Same here, though I've been meaning to return to it for October. Since I stopped BEFORE EVEN REACHING THE ALIEN!
lol - same here!
Actually I think I did see the Alien...but I was petrified even up to that point!

I so want to play it...but it scares the crap out of me! It's only a game damn it!  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 02:31:49 PM
Meanwhile, I don't know if it counts as scary, but did you ever get around to playing the Ghostbusters tribute 3PS game, Gus?

I know you were thinking of Batman: Arkham last year, too, which has some actual scary zombie rush portions late in the game and TONS of haunted house atmosphere.

Time to mention Sang Froid again, too; a little too cartoonish to be scary, I guess, but again dripping with Early North American Halloweenish atmosphere (though nominally set at Christmas, for Antichrist reasons I guess).

My demonstration-ish AAR of the first few minutes can be found here (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11576.0) on the boards.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2015, 02:35:25 PM
The Ghostbusters game is nowhere near being scary. It is humorous, though, and features the voices of the original cast (I think Ramis wrote the script to the game, too...I think...)

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: WallysWorld on October 14, 2015, 02:36:05 PM
For this year, it was:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl which I'm still playing. Still get goosebumps when radiated creatures come after me.
Penumbra: Black Plague. I still shudder when I think of some of the truly scary parts of that game. Glad I completed the game as it was worth the effort.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 02:38:39 PM
^^ Yes, it was essentially canonical GB3, written by Ramis, all original voice actors (including samples from Max Von Sydow as the 2nd movie bad guy.)

I played a few missions of the original SPACE HULK computer adaptation (from the 90s) again this past year, as I often do each year. Sound and mission design still make it super-panicky and, in its way, still the best version of Cameron's Aliens on the market.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 02:40:14 PM
Seconding Alien: Isolation (not that I've played it) because I've watched some videos and it looks awesome.  Also I've heard absolutely amazing things about Soma and its pedigree is stellar; the developers also made the Amnesia and Penumbra series.

I've also heard that Outlast is absolutely terrifying.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: sandman2575 on October 14, 2015, 02:45:00 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 02:40:14 PM
I've also heard that Outlast is absolutely terrifying.

Yeah, Outlast does seem to have the most street cred as "game that gives even hardcore horror fans nightmares"...

Not that I'd know from personal experience, mind you -- I get spooked just dungeon crawling in Skyrim...

Scary games are scary.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2015, 03:04:07 PM
F*ck Alien Isolation. I'mma NEVER play that game.

However, I did watch Markiplier's Let's Play series on the game. I'm good with watching someone else try to not shit their pants.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 14, 2015, 03:14:17 PM
Alien Isolation is a game that's actually stressful to play. 

It's quite an accomplishment. 

I have never been able to power through it. 
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 03:19:00 PM
Wow there were no replies and then all of a sudden...Shannon Tweed games!

Batman Arkham...didn't that one have problems?

Ooh...Outlast...*mental note*
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 14, 2015, 03:34:06 PM
No, I'm talking about the very first Arkham game, Arkham Asylum. It runs smooth as silk, especially on PC, where it can usually be found cheap especially on various sales.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 03:38:23 PM
http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-10-best-horror-games-1685727700 (http://thebests.kotaku.com/the-10-best-horror-games-1685727700)

QuoteAlien: Isolation: The Kotaku Review

Knock, knock. Who's there? An alien. It kills you.

:2funny:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 14, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
Both Soma and Outlast look pretty fantastic.

If it makes a difference, Soma is currently only $5 on Steam...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2015, 04:05:41 PM
Quote from: Toonces on October 14, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
If it makes a difference, Soma is currently only $5 on Steam...

Really? It's showing as 29.99 on the Steam store.  ???
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 14, 2015, 04:11:34 PM
^yeah - £22.99 here.

I just watched one of the videos and now I can't get to sleep!  >:D
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 04:15:15 PM
I'm torn on Soma.  I couldn't finish Amnesia because it was too frightening, but Soma is supposed to be amazing way beyond just being scary.  Oh, what to do...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Father Ted on October 14, 2015, 04:17:54 PM
Blimey, you Americans and your Halloween!
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 14, 2015, 05:18:11 PM
Crap, sorry guys.  I meant Outlast is $5.  Soma is like $30 which is a bit steep IMHO.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 05:51:58 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 14, 2015, 04:17:54 PM
Blimey, you Americans and your Halloween!

They bloody love it, don't they?  As someone who reads Reddit every day I kind of dread it...for a good week the front page is nothing but "look at my costume!"
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2015, 06:02:17 PM
I couldn't care less about Halloween, and it seems the trick-or-treaters get thinner each year. My daughter did it last year, but she was 13, pretty borderline for that sort of thing IMO. My son's almost 17 so there's no way he's going out to do that.

I enjoy scary games...watching them, anyway. Not so much playing.

SOMA looks like a mindf*ck of epic proportions...I've only seen Markiplier's first two episodes. I gotta decide now if I want to buy it so I don't get too many spoilers revealed too soon.

And hell to the nope with Outlast, just like Alien Isolation. Like I said I enjoy watching them, but playing a game where I have to run in terror and hide from something all-powerful isn't appealing at all.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 06:14:26 PM
What the hell is wrong with Halloween? Must check out SOMA...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 14, 2015, 06:20:10 PM
Both look great.  Soma definitely looks awesome but since I haven't finished Amnesia nor Pneumbra yet, I don't see any need to blow full price on it.  I'll wait until Xmas and catch it 50% or more off.

I still have Alien+DLC in my library not even installed yet.   :o
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 06:24:52 PM
^On that note I probably should not have posted this thread right after I pre-ordered another upcoming title, again :/
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 06:27:31 PM
For god's sake Gus, what's the matter with you?!  Never pre-order games!
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: tgb on October 14, 2015, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 14, 2015, 06:02:17 PM
I couldn't care less about Halloween, and it seems the trick-or-treaters get thinner each year.

You're supposed to give them candy, not crystal meth.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
I can't help it Huw. I need help.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: jomni on October 14, 2015, 08:13:06 PM
WITP
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Staggerwing on October 14, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 14, 2015, 08:13:06 PM
WITP

Because you owe someone a turn?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Sir Slash on October 14, 2015, 10:01:12 PM
Not scary but spooky. The annual Halloween mod for Skyrim is over at the Steam Workshop. It's called,   SET for Halloween  and does a bunch of stuff Halloween-related to the game. Hey, it's free.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 14, 2015, 10:43:18 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 14, 2015, 04:17:54 PM
Blimey, you Americans and your Halloween!

HA!  My wife loves the "holiday".  She's gonna love that I am going to post this....

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: jomni on October 14, 2015, 10:47:10 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 14, 2015, 08:27:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on October 14, 2015, 08:13:06 PM
WITP

Because you owe someone a turn?

I owe the AI a turn.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Nefaro on October 15, 2015, 09:52:02 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 14, 2015, 05:51:58 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on October 14, 2015, 04:17:54 PM
Blimey, you Americans and your Halloween!

They bloody love it, don't they?  As someone who reads Reddit every day I kind of dread it...for a good week the front page is nothing but "look at my costume!"


As a wise man once said, "Halloween is just an excuse for women to dress like dirty sluts."

  O0


As a bonus, we get a month of horror theme every year.   8)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: nevermore on October 15, 2015, 10:10:06 AM
WWI 28mm game,big Mark farted and he had a vindaloo the night before, WWI effect - perfect mustard gas attack :crazy2:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 15, 2015, 10:11:46 AM
^ wow  ???
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 15, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
A wee taster...nothing particularly scary here - but it's where I left the game.



Just that intro puts the heeby jeebies up me!
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 15, 2015, 01:09:34 PM
A wee taster...nothing particularly scary here - but it's where I left the game.

Just that intro puts the heeby jeebies up me!

I made it about as far as well.  The first time I saw the Alien, I hid in a locker and then I couldn't bring myself to ever leave.   

It doesn't help that my mother introduced me to Alien when I was only 9, and she made me watch it when I essentially knew nothing about it and had to see it at night with the lights off. 

This game is just reliving the nightmares that gave me for a few years.  That is to say, it's fantastic.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 15, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM
It doesn't help that my mother introduced me to Alien when I was only 9, and she made me watch it when I essentially knew nothing about it and had to see it at night with the lights off. 

:o

Had you been a little shit that day or something?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: sandman2575 on October 15, 2015, 02:12:04 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM
It doesn't help that my mother introduced me to Alien when I was only 9, and she made me watch it when I essentially knew nothing about it and had to see it at night with the lights off. 

Your mother did that to you?   :o

I'd make some quip about the Nostromo's unfeeling AI computer, but I fear it would come off as insulting (not my intent).   :coolsmiley:

In my youth, nothing was more terrifying to me than the Alien. Thing scared the absolute s**t out of me. 

I'm mostly over it now...mostly...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 03:14:10 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2015, 02:12:04 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM
It doesn't help that my mother introduced me to Alien when I was only 9, and she made me watch it when I essentially knew nothing about it and had to see it at night with the lights off. 

Your mother did that to you?   :o

I'd make some quip about the Nostromo's unfeeling AI computer, but I fear it would come off as insulting (not my intent).   :coolsmiley:

In my youth, nothing was more terrifying to me than the Alien. Thing scared the absolute s**t out of me. 

I'm mostly over it now...mostly...

My Mom was great.  She introduced me to sci-fi properly as a kid.  That was the year Aliens came out and she wanted to see it in the theater, so there wasn't any waiting around.  I wasn't going to see the sequel without seeing the original first.

No matter how much it scared me I used to watch that film every chance I got when I was a kid.   

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 15, 2015, 03:26:41 PM
It is the single best scary movie imo.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: bob48 on October 15, 2015, 04:02:18 PM
Quote from: nevermore on October 15, 2015, 10:10:06 AM
WWI 28mm game,big Mark farted and he had a vindaloo the night before, WWI effect - perfect mustard gas attack :crazy2:

ROFL. You can take realism a bit too far. Must have added a lot to the 'atmosphere' of the game though.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 07:31:26 PM
You guys and your tales of Alien are making my evening.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Steelgrave on October 15, 2015, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 01:53:25 PM
It doesn't help that my mother introduced me to Alien when I was only 9, and she made me watch it when I essentially knew nothing about it and had to see it at night with the lights off. 

I took my mom to see Alien on the big screen when it came out in 1979. Neither of us had any idea of what to expect. I remember the chest-burster scene well....it's the exact moment I was written out of her will  8)

Seriously, one of my all-time top ten movies ever. Really, top three or four even.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 07:42:07 PM
Both Alien and Aliens are in my top ten, right behind The Exorcist and The Shining. And I don't care what you people say I still enjoy Alien 3.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 15, 2015, 07:53:05 PM
I didn't get to see Alien until I was in middle school. I still remember very clearly the morning after my mom and dad went to see it in 1979. She was NOT happy, lol. And it gave my little juvenile brain nightmare fuel for years.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Steelgrave on October 15, 2015, 07:55:13 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 07:42:07 PM
Both Alien and Aliens are in my top ten, right behind The Exorcist and The Shining. And I don't care what you people say I still enjoy Alien 3.

Four outta five ain't bad!   8)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 08:34:20 PM
Alien 3 is not in my top ten. But I still enjoy it.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 08:37:15 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 08:34:20 PM
Alien 3 is not in my top ten. But I still enjoy it.

It's an unfairly maligned film. 

It had a great director, but the saga of how that script was obliterated by so many cooks spoiling the broth is epic Hollywood disaster.   

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 08:43:27 PM
I know, I know...*sigh*

But as I always say when Alien 3 comes up..."It had Roc in it. How bad could it be?'
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 15, 2015, 09:09:29 PM
Bad.

It was between a Roc and a hard place from the beginning.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Sir Slash on October 15, 2015, 10:16:26 PM
Ohhh. Alien tales. I thought somebody said Alien tail. Sorry. Wrong thread.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 12:45:35 AM
I actually had a nightmare about Alien just a couple of years ago and I still remember it vividly.  I was in some kind of large building and I just wanted to find the way out, but I knew there was at least one alien skulking around and I had no way of defending myself.  Of course, while I was dreaming it was absolutely real to me, so I don't think I've ever been so terrified.  I was very grateful to wake up!
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 07:51:50 AM
Maybe you were actually playing the game and fell asleep?

Anyway fellers, any thoughts on Dying Light?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 08:19:57 AM
QuoteSo...scariest PC/console game you played this year?

Easy to answer and not just restricted to "played this year" but in general - ZombiU. This year bc I bought a Wii U this year ;)

The atmosphere is thick like some claggy blood from a rotten corpse's wound...the Zombies are a real threat here, one Zombie can kill you and is very hard to kill, 2 Zombies mean desaster if your not concentrated, three Zombies and you better run... ammo is scarce, so every bullet counts, melee combat is Adrenalin pumping, perma death and a sort of Dark Souls feature of getting back your things is a brilliant design choice, great gameplay with the tablet making it a unique experience in single player and couch multiplayer alike - hands down the best and scariest Zombie game ever.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 16, 2015, 08:29:07 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 07:51:50 AM
Anyway fellers, any thoughts on Dying Light?

It's $59.99 on Steam, but has a 92% approval rating. Personally there's no way I'm spending sixty bucks on another zombie game.

Steam has a free demo of the game if you want to check it out.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 16, 2015, 08:31:46 AM
Isn't that the one that's like (or based on or something) Dead Island?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 08:34:50 AM
No, I have both and ZombiU is different. Dead Island is a coop shooter RPG-like game, fun but with a completely different atmosphere and not nearly as scary.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 16, 2015, 08:35:41 AM
Dead Island is kind of tongue-in-cheek. I don't know if I love it or hate it...I've only played it in single-player mode, though.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Mrs Darwin on October 16, 2015, 08:38:10 AM
If we're talking scariest game we've ever played, did anybody else play "Dark Seed"?  Gave me the heebie jeebies somethin' fierce!

http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-darkseed/
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 08:39:04 AM
http://kotaku.com/5963314/zombiu-the-kotaku-review (http://kotaku.com/5963314/zombiu-the-kotaku-review)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Sir Slash on October 16, 2015, 09:41:40 AM
I remember there being a Headless Horseman in Skyrim somewhere. I think it was connected to one of the shipwrecks. Not that scary but cool.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Greybriar on October 16, 2015, 09:42:16 AM
Quote from: Mrs Darwin on October 16, 2015, 08:38:10 AM
If we're talking scariest game we've ever played, did anybody else play "Dark Seed"?  Gave me the heebie jeebies somethin' fierce!

http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-darkseed/

Dark Seed was a scary game. The scene that sticks in my mind is when mechanical fingers separated the skin on my character's forehead and inserted...something. There were many spooky scenes. I bought the DOS version in the early 90s. I haven't played it in many years and don't know how it would hold up.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: bob48 on October 16, 2015, 09:43:09 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 16, 2015, 09:41:40 AM
I remember there being a Headless Horseman in Skyrim somewhere. I think it was connected to one of the shipwrecks. Not that scary but cool.

Yeah, I saw that as well. As you say, whilst not scary, it was quite creepy.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 10:42:10 AM
The deveolopers of Dying Light are the same ones who created Dead Island.

I'm not getting Dying Light without a discount. 30 dollah or less.

In the meantime I will play Shadow of Mordor. Haven't played it in months.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 16, 2015, 12:27:58 PM
Quote from: Mrs Darwin on October 16, 2015, 08:38:10 AM
If we're talking scariest game we've ever played, did anybody else play "Dark Seed"?  Gave me the heebie jeebies somethin' fierce!

Yeah I played that on the Amiga.  Awesome game, but the time limit was quite harsh as I recall and I never did finish it.  Splendid atmosphere.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 16, 2015, 01:13:22 PM
You've gotten farther than I did, Judge!

Still haven't gotten back to A:I, but in my defense I've been taking my time enjoying my last-playthrough-for-the-foreseeable-future of Arkham City. Will probably try going back to A:I before Halloween, as I plan to be done with AC this weekend, in time for the hopeful re-release of Arkham Knight and (more importantly) its various DLC mini-campaigns later this year (with particular interest in the Batgirl vs. Joker, and the Hood vs Black Mask stories).

Also still vaguely planning to get GJK's vassal port of Blood Bowl working on my Surface. I want to play, but I've been awfully spoiled by having Focus' port keeping track of everything for me.  :-[
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: JasonPratt on October 16, 2015, 01:15:34 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 08:34:20 PM
Alien 3 is not in my top ten. But I still enjoy it.

Ditto. Not as much as A4; and the only reason I'd watch either of them is for the sake of working through the series, but still.

Has anyone tried playing the two DLC missions from the original movie (and original cast) yet?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 16, 2015, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 10:42:10 AM
In the meantime I will play Shadow of Mordor. Haven't played it in months.

Good lord, Gus, we go through 5 pages of talking about scary games and THAT is what you end up with?  You slay me, BRAH.   :idiot2:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 16, 2015, 04:20:40 PM
Wow, ZombiU sounds pretty freaking awesome.  Any chance that's coming to PC?  Didn't sound like it on Kotaku.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 07:55:01 PM
Have you played it, Commander? It's very good. Or you could give me another suggestion...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 16, 2015, 08:19:57 PM
Ummmm...

Alien Isolation
STALKER
Soma
Outcast


You know, one of those myriad games mentioned in this thread that you haven't played before...   :P
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 16, 2015, 09:04:24 PM
^I did play Stalker - was that actually mentioned above? You're drinking now eh...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 16, 2015, 09:35:53 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on October 14, 2015, 02:36:05 PM
For this year, it was:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl which I'm still playing. Still get goosebumps when radiated creatures come after me.
Penumbra: Black Plague. I still shudder when I think of some of the truly scary parts of that game. Glad I completed the game as it was worth the effort.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 17, 2015, 06:21:38 PM
OK - I was drinking.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Toonces on October 17, 2015, 06:27:54 PM
I'm not saying I wasn't...   :-[   :P
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Father Ted on October 17, 2015, 07:36:16 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 16, 2015, 09:41:40 AM
I remember there being a Headless Horseman in Skyrim somewhere. I think it was connected to one of the shipwrecks. Not that scary but cool.

When I was about 7 I saw a Disney interpretation of the Sleepy Hollow legend and it terrified me.  Needless to say I keep scary games at arm's length.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Boggit on October 17, 2015, 07:44:34 PM
Plague Inc Evolved, where you play a disease and have to wipe out humanity. OMG it could happen! Some of the most entertaining scenarios were the Necroa virus (Zombies), and the Simian virus (Planet of the Apes).
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 17, 2015, 08:51:20 PM
^I've seen that game on Steam - looks interesting.

And there are some cartoons from my youth that still sort of haunt me...like Father Ted's Sleepy Hollow. Something about It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown also is kinda creepy...can't put my finger on it.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2015, 09:40:28 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 15, 2015, 03:14:10 PM

My Mom was great.  She introduced me to sci-fi properly as a kid.  That was the year Aliens came out and she wanted to see it in the theater, so there wasn't any waiting around.  I wasn't going to see the sequel without seeing the original first.

No matter how much it scared me I used to watch that film every chance I got when I was a kid.


That's awesome.  Mine was the same.  She took me to see Aliens in the theater when I was a kid.  I loved it.

The first movie I watched in a theater was the original Star Wars, only a few days after my 2nd birthday.  Mom was 7+ months pregnant, and bringing a 2-year old had potential disaster written all over it, but she refused to miss it despite the possible issues.  I don't really remember it but evidently I was staring, mouth agape, the whole time. 

Also recall her taking me to see stuff like Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Conan the Barbarian at Drive-Ins later on.   

Must be in our genes, huh?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2015, 05:23:06 PM
^ I was three when the original Star Wars came out and my Grandma took me to see it!

According to family lore I watched the guy behind me the whole time and didn't look at the screen once.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: besilarius on October 21, 2015, 05:53:01 PM
Everybody's a critic.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Nefaro on October 21, 2015, 07:44:22 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2015, 05:23:06 PM

According to family lore I watched the guy behind me the whole time and didn't look at the screen once.


Ohhhh.  That explains it.  You were one of those kids.  Always staring at some select stranger your whole time in a public place.

:crazy2:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Sir Slash on October 21, 2015, 10:01:59 PM
Hope it wasn't Star sitting behind him. My small town had no theater until about 1980 so I didn't get to see Star Wars, Jaws, and Close Encounters until much later than they debuted. We had a Drive-In but nobody knew or cared what was playing there.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Grimnirsson on October 22, 2015, 05:35:27 AM
I have this game on my radar, old school survival horror with the typical Japanese twist and according to many reviews scary enough :)

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 22, 2015, 08:45:31 AM
I draw the line at Japanese horror and pr0n...too freaky.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 23, 2015, 07:45:15 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 22, 2015, 08:45:31 AM
I draw the line at Japanese horror and pr0n...too freaky.

Gus, go find a game called "Hunie Pop," then. You'll love it.  ^-^
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 23, 2015, 08:29:59 AM
Hunie Pop is awesome. O0
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 23, 2015, 08:53:06 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 23, 2015, 08:29:59 AM
Hunie Pop is awesome. O0

LOL

It was on sale last week on Steam. I almost bought it, but the last thing I need is to be playing that and have my wife walk in right then...
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Sir Slash on October 23, 2015, 09:00:49 AM
That's why it's called Hunie Pop. Because Honey see's you playing it and then Pop's you in the head.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 23, 2015, 09:15:37 AM
I'm good, actually. I watched Markiplier's videos on the game, and his vids were fairly SFW. He didn't go too deeply in the game (heh).
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 23, 2015, 10:42:35 AM
Now I am truly afraid.
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Huw the Poo on October 23, 2015, 12:47:01 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 23, 2015, 08:53:06 AM
LOL

It was on sale last week on Steam. I almost bought it, but the last thing I need is to be playing that and have my wife walk in right then...

Pfft.  Surely she needn't be jealous of a few drawings? ;)

It's actually a well-above-average game in the genre, I enjoy playing it.  The, er, "theme" is just an added bonus. :)
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 24, 2015, 10:44:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2015, 10:42:35 AM
Now I am truly afraid.

This vid is the only one with some...err...interesting content.

Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Gusington on October 24, 2015, 11:08:20 PM
Dare I?
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 25, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
I don't know who the dude is in that video, but his 'crazy radio guy' voice makes me want to physically assault him.  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Scariest Game you Played this Year
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 26, 2015, 06:57:34 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 25, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
I don't know who the dude is in that video, but his 'crazy radio guy' voice makes me want to physically assault him.  :knuppel2:

He has some annoying moments and I can only take his vids in bursts, but he's a fairly entertaining guy and does a lot for charity.