GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: airboy on October 14, 2015, 05:31:26 PM

Title: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: airboy on October 14, 2015, 05:31:26 PM
I had heart cath today.  They found 90% blockage in one artery which I was expecting.  They put a stent in.

This was an absolute optimal outcome.  Could not have gone better.  This was caught before a heart attack or stroke.

Airboy
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: mirth on October 14, 2015, 05:45:01 PM
Wow. Glad your okay, Airboy!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Staggerwing on October 14, 2015, 06:09:16 PM
Congrats on the outcome!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: LongBlade on October 14, 2015, 06:13:39 PM
Glad to hear it went well!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Barthheart on October 14, 2015, 06:32:16 PM
Time fer a drink and big mess of fries.... oh wait....

Glad to hear it all went well.  O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Sir Slash on October 14, 2015, 06:32:21 PM
Great news indeed Airboy. We couldn't get by here without you. Keep 'em flying.  O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2015, 09:19:45 PM
O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Arctic Blast on October 14, 2015, 09:27:55 PM
Glad things went well, airboy.  O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: steve58 on October 14, 2015, 10:24:39 PM
...serious stuff.  Glad you're OK! O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: MetalDog on October 14, 2015, 11:13:21 PM
Awesome news, Airboy!  I am glad for you!!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: DoctorQuest on October 14, 2015, 11:53:52 PM
You can't keep a good Grog down. Get well, Airboy.
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Centurion40 on October 15, 2015, 09:42:47 AM
Quote from: airboy on October 14, 2015, 05:31:26 PM
I had heart cath today.  They found 90% blockage in one artery which I was expecting.  They put a stent in.

This was an absolute optimal outcome.  Could not have gone better.  This was caught before a heart attack or stroke.

Airboy

Great news!  O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: JasonPratt on October 15, 2015, 03:08:16 PM
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: bob48 on October 15, 2015, 03:52:01 PM
^+100
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Airborne Rifles on October 16, 2015, 06:47:41 AM
Great news Airboy!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 16, 2015, 06:51:29 AM
+1 to all of the above!  8)
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: panzerde on October 16, 2015, 05:44:59 PM
Glad to hear it! Be well!  O0
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Boggit on October 17, 2015, 08:10:34 PM
Good to know they sorted it, but I thought you'd already been given the thumbs up after your last run in hospital? Must say I'm glad you got your stent in time. :)
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: MikeGER on October 18, 2015, 01:14:09 AM
uuuh 90%,  a close call! Get well soon  O0

btw: did you felt any symthoms before?  and so went for a cardio check up avd they send yout to the cath,
or was it discovered by a routine checkup?
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Nefaro on October 19, 2015, 01:09:36 AM
Sorry I missed this.  Hope you're back up to snuff soon.   O0



Quote from: MikeGER on October 18, 2015, 01:14:09 AM

btw: did you felt any symthoms before?  and so went for a cardio check up avd they send yout to the cath,
or was it discovered by a routine checkup?

I'm also curious as to how it was detected early, if you don't mind sharing some more.
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: airboy on October 19, 2015, 05:41:40 PM
Quote from: MikeGER on October 18, 2015, 01:14:09 AM
uuuh 90%,  a close call! Get well soon  O0

btw: did you felt any symthoms before?  and so went for a cardio check up avd they send yout to the cath,
or was it discovered by a routine checkup?

During my normal exercise routine or when I was walking at a reasonably fast pace my heart rate would speed up to the point where I could not move.  This started occurring more and more frequently.  Not jogging - just a fast walk.  This starting happening most every time I went up 3+ flights of stairs. 

My wife ordered me to get it checked out.  There are a number of things that can cause this.  Asthma was almost immediately ruled out.  Now you are down to heart issues.

Test 1 = all good news with some ambiguous results.

My doctor argued with the insurance people for a month before they allowed Test 2 (I was just going to pay for it out of pocket).

Test 2 = clear blockage & blood clots in the lungs.

Test 3 = heart cath and then putting in a stent at the same time.  Could not be a more optimal outcome.

If you find that your normal exercise routine or normal daily activities sometimes become impossible due to a heart rate that requires you to stand still or it is impossible to get enough oxygen to keep going - then you probably have something very serious.  Only other time I tended to fell this way was when I was very sick (say a major sinus infection), but the shortness of breath & uber elevated heart rate kept happening when I was not sick.

My wife and I both noticed that my condition was starting to deteriorate pretty rapidly in the last 3 months or so.

So all of this started when the wife and I noticed something was really, really wrong - not during an annual physical.
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: LongBlade on October 19, 2015, 06:28:02 PM
Blood clots in the lungs - wow.

Glad you caught all that.
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: MikeGER on October 20, 2015, 11:02:49 AM
THX for sharing that private info with others Grogs, Airboy   O0

Well, you know some of us are from the 'shake it off'-type when it come to symptoms, and hate to see a doc anyway ...until its to late.
So your example from a fellow Grog is good not to gamble to high when the body sends first early warnings

I will take that to my heart too :)   (no pun intended)   
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Windigo on October 21, 2015, 04:08:54 PM
I am very happy to hear that you beat the house with the stent and subsequent blockage removal.... but 90%?!  geeze you're a tough bastard...
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 21, 2015, 09:42:36 PM
I'm glad you are well Airboy. The early detection is awesome.
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: airboy on October 22, 2015, 08:18:34 AM
This will seem odd - but small changes can catch you unawares.  It has been a week since the surgery.  I now have pink color on the tips of my fingers and toes.  My nails have turned pink.  I have a lot of color back in my face. 
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: Windigo on October 22, 2015, 03:02:08 PM
Your Cialis will last longer too.  O:-)
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: LongBlade on October 22, 2015, 06:40:52 PM
What cialis? This is AIRBOY we're talking about!
Title: Re: Airboy Will Keep Flying
Post by: OJsDad on October 22, 2015, 10:02:08 PM
Glad your doing well Airboy.

I've been installing IT systems for Cardio departments in hospitals for a year and half now.  I've gotten to be in the Cath Lab control rooms for many procedures.  Always amazing to watch.