GrogHeads Forum

History, Reference, Research, and GrogTalk => References and Research => Topic started by: besilarius on October 16, 2015, 07:00:22 AM

Title: Celestial Navigation
Post by: besilarius on October 16, 2015, 07:00:22 AM
http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/naval_academy/ph-ac-cn-celestial-navigation-1014-20151009-story.html

Due to the threat of hacking, sailors are again looking to the stars.

I can just see old, salty chief Quartermaster Mirth instructing young, innocent midshipman Starfury.
"For Celestial navigation, you will learn to use and operate Flinders Bars, Rhum Lines, Navigator's Balls, and Sextants."
"Do we have to use tents for that?"
Title: Re: Celestial Navigation
Post by: Airborne Rifles on October 16, 2015, 07:03:37 AM
Teaching first and second year cadets here at the academy I was surprised that almost none of them knew how to find the north star, even after land navigation training over the summer. I took some time out from class to reeducate them.

I wouldn't trust those Navy guys though. Those tools sound suspicious...
Title: Re: Celestial Navigation
Post by: mirth on October 16, 2015, 09:43:17 AM
Midshipman Starfury was never innocent.
Title: Re: Celestial Navigation
Post by: bob48 on October 16, 2015, 09:45:37 AM
...and its his turn in the barrel.........