GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Bison on October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM

Title: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Bison on October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi924.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad81%2Frdbrewer%2Frdbrewer001%2FBTF2-image.jpg.gif%7Eoriginal&hash=1b410dbbfb4aeb5eaf67bd300a74bdcf47d58d94)

I can tell you in 1985 I didn't even own a computer.  I had D&D books and a couple board games making up my total collection of gaming.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: undercovergeek on October 21, 2015, 07:52:40 AM
C64 - lords of midnight, the hobbit, way of the exploding fist and attack of the mutant camels
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Tuna on October 21, 2015, 08:08:07 AM
Was playing Empire and Star Trek on Vax 11/780.. lol.. would stay after work on Saturdays... The beginning of the downfall into that ugly disease called Gaming Addiction!

(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/Star_Trek_text_game.png)
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 21, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
Playing a couple of mediocre maze-type games on my old 128k beige-box 1st gen Mac, since StratCom and Wizardry and POR and Dark Castle and Ancient Art of War were all still a few years away.
But using MacPaint to make my own D&D counters, and later, a lot of orbats for wargames.
Also used a lot of MacWrite for my own RPG rules, variants, expansions, etc.

When the BattleTech bug bit about 18 months later, I had a LOT of orbats, unit histories, backstories for conflicts, etc, on a made-up world that some friends of mine and I used for wargaming.  We basically fought a LOT of sci-fi ground battles without the mechs for those games, and in our actual BattleTech games, had almost no other units on the map other than the mechs.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Barthheart on October 21, 2015, 09:18:36 AM
SSI was taking all my money for C64 games. But the best was Computer Ambush! Followed closely by Kampfgruppe.
Many, many hours spent in Ambush rather than doing my university assignments.... 8)
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: sandman2575 on October 21, 2015, 09:26:24 AM
Likely was still playing Donkey Kong Jr. on ColecoVision in '85 -- don't think we owned a computer yet. Lots of friends had the venerable Commodore 64 though. Was jealous...
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: MengJiao on October 21, 2015, 09:37:33 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2015, 07:48:13 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi924.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad81%2Frdbrewer%2Frdbrewer001%2FBTF2-image.jpg.gif%7Eoriginal&hash=1b410dbbfb4aeb5eaf67bd300a74bdcf47d58d94)

I can tell you in 1985 I didn't even own a computer.  I had D&D books and a couple board games making up my total collection of gaming.

  Seems like in 1985 I played an early flight sim and various war games (Ancient Art of War?  Napoleon laughed when he beat you?)  For one space game I think I had to wait til early 1986 and some kind of VGA patch.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Sir Slash on October 21, 2015, 10:05:00 AM
Me and the Amiga kicked some serious ass in Kampgruppe and later Might and Magic I. I remember having a tough time deciding which of the 3 games I owned to play. I was working like a Sled Dog, didn't have any money, and didn't give a damn about it. I thought I was the only Wargamer in the whole world. But.... where the hell is my damned Hoverboard I was promised by now?
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: WallysWorld on October 21, 2015, 10:59:21 AM
In 1985, I think I still had a Timex Sinclair and then replaced it with a Commodore 64 a year later. My brother had an Intellivision and I remember playing "Dambusters" a lot on that console.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: IronX on October 21, 2015, 12:06:02 PM
Dambusters was great - apart from waiting several minutes for the game to load from floppy. But that was life back then. Imagine making a game now centred around a single mission. Still, it entertained us for many hours.

My favourite game from 1985, also on the C64, was Mech Brigade.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: undercovergeek on October 21, 2015, 01:09:56 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.

i thought you were my age?
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
48 me  :(
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Tinkershuffle on October 21, 2015, 03:36:48 PM
I was trying to form my first two to three word sentences.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: bob48 on October 21, 2015, 03:52:01 PM
Probably playing 'paradroid' or 'Elite' on the C64.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: undercovergeek on October 21, 2015, 04:13:12 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:20:49 PM
48 me  :(

Oh hell no - old fart
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: bob48 on October 21, 2015, 04:16:49 PM
Did someone call?......................
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 04:17:56 PM
^ proper old fart  >:D

Why? What age are u UCG?
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Father Ted on October 21, 2015, 04:33:51 PM
Hmmm...some brinksmanship here I fear.  For my my part I remember these films pretty well (on release) - which puts me pretty much at the median age for Grogheads I reckon.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
In October 1985 I was 11 and had narrowly dodged a family move to New Jersey to move to another part of Brooklyn. Now that I look back at what NYC was like in 1985 I can't believe I made it out alive.

Anyway I had just got a C-64 and was probably playing Impossible Mission or Archon with my best friend, who, thankfully, is still my best friend.

It would be a few years until I graduated to an Amiga 500 and discovered Cinemaware.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: WYBaugh on October 21, 2015, 06:17:57 PM
October 1985 would see me as a junior at the University of Florida at the young age of 22.  Playing the heck outta my Atari 800 XL.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Cyrano on October 21, 2015, 06:52:26 PM
It is Trafalgar Day, M-er F-ers and anything that stands between me and more than a few tots of rum in honor of the Immortal Memory is getting squished like a bug...and no wild-eyed old dude in a poorly-made car is convincing me otherwise...
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 21, 2015, 06:58:18 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 21, 2015, 01:07:04 PM
I wasn't playing any games - in October 1985 I was in The Falklands serving Queen and Country.

I was in middle school ;)
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: MetalDog on October 21, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
Freshman year of high school.  Trying to look up the cheerleaders skirts and not get squashed like a bug by the Seniors.  Oh!  GAMES?!  Um...a lot of D&D books, Risk, and Colecovision with an Atari 2600 adapter.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: Staggerwing on October 21, 2015, 08:07:32 PM
In 1985 I was in nursing school in the morning, then worked in the ER or drove around in an ambulance in the afternoon and evening. Also, three times a week I'd race around in my Subaru Brat, carrying a big orange jump bag and playing first responder from about midnight to 8AM. Any evenings off I had I'd spend in New Haven clubbing/catching bands at Toad's Place, the Moon, or the Ozone. I'd also take off to hang with friends in Manhattan or Astoria for a weekend when a psycho girlfriend du jour got too dramatic. From 1988 to about 1993 I messed around a bit with a Commodore Vic20, TRS-80 CoCo 16, C-64 and finally an Amiga 500 but not much wargaming from end of high school to early 1990's. That's when I got a PC and computer wargames and later rediscovered a box of my old HighSchool stuff over my parent's garage containing my copies of Von Richthofen's War, Panzer Blitz, and Panzer Leader.
Title: Re: This Date in History: Discuss
Post by: FarAway Sooner on October 21, 2015, 11:53:58 PM
In October 1985, I was just starting my junior year in high school, had been driving for two months, and had more than 2 year under the belt with my old Commodore 64.  By then, I think I was finishing up Karateka, Impossible Mission, Crush, Crumble and Chomp and Ultima III.

Took a bit of a hiatus from gaming during the school year, as I'd discovered soccer and was trying mightily (and very unsuccessfully) to discover girls...