GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: MetalDog on October 23, 2015, 08:59:01 PM

Title: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 23, 2015, 08:59:01 PM
I just saw someone who asked if it was normal to have moved 15 times.  And I immediately tried to remember how many times I had moved.  Looking back, I can count 18 total in three states.  It may be more, I'm sure I've forgotten one or two, especially from the days when I was under 5 or 6 years old.  And, tangentially, how many of you have never lived more than 40 miles from where you were born?
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Staggerwing on October 23, 2015, 09:07:07 PM
I think I've lived in about 22 different places. Two different countries and two different states within one of those countries. Also, I now live about 3655 miles from where I was born.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Con on October 23, 2015, 09:31:11 PM
I lost count when I got over 40 moves.  My dad was in the oil industry so every three years we moved to a new country. I can offhand think of 12.  We then moved several times within the country.  In between moves I would move back to the grandparents farm in Germany.  Military school in Scotland.  Brief stint in the UK armed forces active reserves to pay for university (in England) meant many trips back to Germany for the BAOR barracks.  And by moved I mean anything longer than 3 months. 
Then to the US for the first time where I moved to about a half dozen different places in Boston over 10 years.  Then moved to Colorado, back to Boston again moving around 8 times before finally buying a house in 2007 and havent moved since

Con
Aside its 4480.2 miles from Boston to where I was born
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 23, 2015, 09:51:47 PM
I bet you learned to travel light!  That's a pretty impressive list, Con.  I suspect it's only to be rivaled by those who were military kids/adult service members.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Con on October 23, 2015, 09:59:09 PM
It was good practice for my job which now has me travelling internationally about 1 week out of 4.  I think I lucked out getting a such a good global education as the world we live in is a much more multicultural place than even 10 years prior.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 23, 2015, 10:03:26 PM
What would you say you learned from all that travelling?  About the world itself and how the U.S. is viewed from outside?
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Con on October 23, 2015, 10:11:44 PM
Thats a chat for over a beer! O0

I would say that before anyone criticizes anything they live in they should spend time living outside of it.  It does provide a perspective that makes you appreciate what you have and what you could do better

Con
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 23, 2015, 10:18:54 PM
Deal!  Shooting for Origins next June.  You in?
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Sir Slash on October 23, 2015, 10:27:56 PM
Moved 4 times all within the same town. Whenever the grass gets too high....
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 23, 2015, 11:09:40 PM
The summer I hit 32 was my 32nd move.  Since then I've had 5.  I only plan for maybe 2 more: retirement home, then a grave.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 23, 2015, 11:42:07 PM
Let's see.

3 times in the same town while I was a kid.
Twice in the same province while the military.
4 different rental places while attending university.
Once back to my hometown after finishing university.
Once to South Korea for work.
Once to Saipan for 3 months.
Once to Poland for a year.
Three times in Japan over 9 years.
Three times in Thailand over a year.
9 times since I returned to Canada in 2008.


28 times.


Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 24, 2015, 12:19:19 AM
That's an impressive resume as well.  Any perspective you care to share regarding what you've learned from travelling and the places you've lived?
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 24, 2015, 11:59:15 AM
Doesn't matter what country you're in.  Bitches be crazy.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: bob48 on October 24, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
If we're just talking about moves since leaving home after getting married, then 3.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Gusington on October 24, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
About 15 total for my lifetime, and I currently live about 100 miles from where I was born.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: mirth on October 24, 2015, 01:53:11 PM
I've moved at least a dozen times in 25 years, there were a couple moves prior to that when I was a little kid.

I've lived as much as 2000 miles from where I was born. Currently live about 80 miles from there.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Barthheart on October 24, 2015, 01:53:20 PM
My Dad was in the Airforce so we moved every two years until I was in high school. Moved once in that city then I moved to Ottawa for University. Moved 9 times here. So what's that... 17 or 18 times.
I've lived in 5 of the ten provinces and on both ends of the country. So I was lucky to be able to see most of our great country.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Pinetree on October 24, 2015, 05:34:37 PM
I've just worked out I've moved about 20 times, 8 times in the same town alone (and that's not counting moving back to the same house a few times). I also lived in London for 4 years where I moved digs regularly but only had a backpack to move so I'm not counting those. We own the house we're in now though so won't be moving again for a while (hopefully!). I live about 620 km (that's 386 miles for you non-metric people)and a different island from where I was born.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: MetalDog on October 24, 2015, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 24, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
If we're just talking about moves since leaving home after getting married, then 3.

Since the last Ice Age at least, bob.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Staggerwing on October 24, 2015, 08:16:30 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 24, 2015, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 24, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
If we're just talking about moves since leaving home after getting married, then 3.

Since the last Ice Age at least, bob.

Man, that's just cold.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Greybriar on October 25, 2015, 01:57:50 AM
I have moved twenty-four times, including the reassignments while I was in the military. It's been thirty-five years since my last move and I hope there will only be one more--after I'm dead.  ;)
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: undercovergeek on October 25, 2015, 03:32:34 AM
22 for me - left home at 19 and weirdly hate been in the same place for too long, love the whole moving experience and don't understand what people get stressed out about - the feeling of a fresh start at each move is awesome
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: bob48 on October 25, 2015, 06:05:24 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 24, 2015, 08:16:30 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 24, 2015, 07:01:47 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 24, 2015, 12:16:46 PM
If we're just talking about moves since leaving home after getting married, then 3.

Since the last Ice Age at least, bob.

Man, that's just cold.

<sing>

OH!............Freeze a jolly good fellow, freeze a jolly food fellow...................
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Centurion40 on October 27, 2015, 10:51:44 AM
I'm a piker compared to you all!

Born in Montreal, moved to Kentville Nova Scotia when I was 5 (total: 1 move).  Moved twice in Kentville (total: 3 moves).  Went away to university (4 moves); then came back (5 moves).  Took teaching job in Toronto (6 moves) & moved once in Toronto (7 moves); then moved back to Kentville (8 moves).  Moved for work in Cape Breton (7 moves), then moved for work in Cole Harbour (8 moves). Changed apartments in the same building (9 moves). Bought my first house in Lower Sackville (10 moves), then moved to Halifax when I got married (11 moves).  Bought new house in Halifax after 5 years of marriage (12 moves) and holding.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: zap on October 27, 2015, 11:04:45 AM
Italy 3 moves
California 4 moves
Illinois 3 moves
boston 1 move
Wisconsin 1 move

12 moves total
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: BanzaiCat on October 27, 2015, 12:57:52 PM
You guys have had far more interesting experiences than I.

I've only moved six times in my life. And nowhere near as exotic as most of you.

Born in Rochester, moved to Dale City, VA at 3 months old.
Moved to a garage apartment in San Antonio when I was about 9.
Moved to a house in San Antonio when I was about 13.
Moved to our Houston apartment when I was about 23.
Moved to our first house when I was about 25.
Moved to our current house (still in Houston, unfortunately) when I was 31. Been there ever since.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2015, 01:20:26 PM
as of right now Ive moved 27 times. 
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: mirth on October 28, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2015, 01:20:26 PM
as of right now Ive moved 27 times. 

It must be a challenge to keep the exes from finding you.
Title: Re: How many times have you moved?
Post by: Sir Slash on October 28, 2015, 01:32:43 PM
He's not there. Gone again.