I've been making my way through the BBC series "End of Empire" on YouTube, finally getting around to Rhodesia and all the other African conflicts it relates to. This drew me back to RedMike's mod for John Tiller's "Squad Battles: Pacific War", viz.: "Africa at War". I have to say, only a couple hours in, this is one of those mods that in some ways exceeds the thing it's modding.
The scenario selection and design in particular is really good with a ton of great research and introductions that give you a strong sense of place. Some of them tie directly back to the events described in the documentary which is very cool indeed. And, while one must have "Pacific War" to play, it's awfully hard to beat the price of the mod and its many scenarios.
Great stuff...
Cyrano,
I have almost pulled the trigger on Tillers/HPS Pacific War a half dozen times just so I could play this mod, but never have for one reason or another...now you are making it hard :)
For those wanting more info, here is the specs on Task Force Echo: https://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-sound-mods/africa-at-war/
I wish I could put my figure on why I like this so very much...still thinking about it...but it's closing in on my favorite SB games, viz. WWI (1) and the Viet Nam twins.
I particularly like the sense of scale of the fights as well as the great historical variety of what's on offer.
Its a great mod for three primary reasons in my opinion...One, because the OOB, scenario design, art, etc. is so well done. Two, because there is virtually nothing else like it out there. So few games cover the 20th century conflicts in Africa during the decline of the colonial era. Three, because the Squad Battles system is so well suited for the subject material.
Definitely a must have mod for owners of SB: Pacific War.
...and a big +1 to JH's comment re: this being, literally, the only game in town on this topic!
Quote from: Cyrano on October 26, 2015, 03:18:40 PM
...and a big +1 to JH's comment re: this being, literally, the only game in town on this topic!
If you are really interested in the topic, win Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank has several African War scenarios, as does Operational Art of War III. Of course, there is always Graviteam Tactics: Operation Hooper, as well.