GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: JasonPratt on November 02, 2015, 06:19:42 PM

Title: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 02, 2015, 06:19:42 PM
Updated thread title accordingly.

Yes, I sound like a teenaged girl.

No, I am not ashamed.

Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 02, 2015, 06:22:54 PM
I've said previously (whilst transitioning between FC3 and FC4, the latter of which I have enjoyed more generally than FC3 but which I haven't finished yet), that if Ubisoft ever figured out how to make a prehistoric Far Cry, they would have a license to print money.

It may not have dinosaurs (I... guess?? I wouldn't bet entirely against them showing up anyway), but Primal could be primed to take a market position by offering up a host of prehistoric mammals not usually found in Jurassic Parkish survival games.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: undercovergeek on November 02, 2015, 06:29:39 PM
call me naive - am i looking at a mammoth hunting sim?
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 03, 2015, 12:34:49 PM
...
......

...yes. Yes you are.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: undercovergeek on November 03, 2015, 12:43:06 PM
i feel i have let you down

bring me my fake enthusiasm generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: Philippe on November 03, 2015, 12:49:33 PM
Can you hunt herds of caribou and use an atlatl ?
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: glen55 on November 03, 2015, 05:00:35 PM
Sweet.  I will be on that.

It reminds me of, but doesn't quite scratch my long-standing itch for a prehistoric strategy game.  Ever since the original Civ I came out, I have wanted somebody to zero in on the early part of the game, where your tribe is trying to hold off predators, then inventing basic technologies, and eventually claiming land and forming some kind of government.  Take us up to the formation of nations - no, it's not necessary that we get up to the point of war mechs battling for Mars.

I think something a little more localized and tactical than Civ would be even better.  But it needs to cover warfare, diplomacy, the economy and technology.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 04, 2015, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 03, 2015, 12:43:06 PM
i feel i have let you down

bring me my fake enthusiasm generator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all the enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms.


Enthusiasms...

(Now let's see who gets that movie ref. This game will certainly be bringing a knife to a mammoth fight, if that helps.  :coolsmiley:)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 04, 2015, 01:44:34 PM
Quote from: glen55 on November 03, 2015, 05:00:35 PM
Ever since the original Civ I came out, I have wanted somebody to zero in on the early part of the game, where your tribe is trying to hold off predators, then inventing basic technologies, and eventually claiming land and forming some kind of government. 

My impression is that the game will be doing this from a 1st Person Shooter perspective. The player's tribe having been exterminated, you escape into another tribe's territory having to work your way up from scratch (apparently to prepare to prevent the same thing happening again, not sure how yet).

I'll be curious to see how they're handling language. It sounds like they're working with an invented protolanguage from the game, which you'll be expected to learn by immersion (somewhat like the old Outland 3PShooter). Whether the game will allow you contextual hints in your 'native' language (the equivalent of English, French, etc.), I can't tell yet; it'll be kind of crippling if not, sense we parse learning languages as adults in terms of how we already know a language.

Either way, I can foresee some interesting DLC possibilities for using the game's setting as an immersive language tutor. Want to learn basic Hebrew? The people in the game speak Hebrew, in a situation designed to teach you to understand and communicate with what they're saying.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: savatee on November 05, 2015, 08:58:12 PM
My son, Elias Toufexis, does the voice of the lead character and, yes, Ubisoft hired a linguist to have a language for these people. I sounds really interesting and I'm certainly going to try it out. Just to hear my son speak in an unknown language. Sort of what it was like when he was a teenager.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: JasonPratt on November 07, 2015, 10:17:21 AM
^^ Best post this week?  8)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 07, 2015, 09:46:07 AM
Pre-order now available.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JudgeDredd on December 07, 2015, 01:02:15 PM
It looks - erm...interesting??

But I don't think I'll pull the trigger early on this. I love Far Cry, but one of the beauties of the game are the huge array of weapons...pointy sticks, clubby sticks and arrows don't really float my boat.

I'm interested - but I'm definitely going to wait on a lot of impressions.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 07, 2015, 01:03:59 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 07, 2015, 01:02:15 PM
It looks - erm...interesting??

But I don't think I'll pull the trigger early on this. I love Far Cry, but one of the beauties of the game are the huge array of weapons...pointy sticks, clubby sticks and arrows don't really float my boat.

I'm interested - but I'm definitely going to wait on a lot of impressions.

Don't worry JD, I'll find you a good deal on release day:)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JudgeDredd on December 07, 2015, 01:14:38 PM
lol

After I posted that I was going to come back and edit it with "And Gus - no thanks. Not even a cheap voucher will make me buy this one early"

And I do mean it  :-\
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal comes.
Post by: Father Ted on December 07, 2015, 04:08:02 PM
Quote from: Philippe on November 03, 2015, 12:49:33 PM
Can you hunt herds of caribou and use an atlatl ?

I've heard of an axolotl, but not an atlatl.  Some kind of ancient Inuit weapon?
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 07, 2015, 05:09:23 PM
Atlatls were a simple lever device for throwing spears farther / stronger than unaided by hand (a little like the devices for throwing a ball in jai alai).

Eventually superseded by bows and arrows, but their flexible darts were precursors to arrows.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 07, 2015, 05:11:04 PM
BEHOLD THE FIRST HUMAN WEAPON DELIVERY SYSTEM!

http://www.atlatl.com/about-atlatl.php
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Father Ted on December 08, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
Why thank you Jason - I never knew of such a thing.  I should have known from the spelling that the name was South American, but Philippe threw me with the caribou reference.  I've seen spear-chuckers, which have a similar idea, though lacking, I'm guessing, the flexible projectile.

I'm wondering though if this predates the sling as a weapon delivery system...
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 08, 2015, 09:55:30 PM
I'm guessing not, but the distinction would be that the darts are inherently weapons while rocks aren't necessarily (although of course weaponized 'bullets' were eventually made for slings.)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 08, 2015, 09:59:41 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on December 08, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
Why thank you Jason - I never knew of such a thing.  I should have known from the spelling that the name was South American, but Philippe threw me with the caribou reference.  I've seen spear-chuckers, which have a similar idea, though lacking, I'm guessing, the flexible projectile.

The system was invented independently (and/or spread for such a long time that it reached) all over the world.

I'm planning for variations (flexible darts to sturdier spear chuckers) to be a key weapon for some of the demi-men tribes in my fantasy series, once I get back up in their area of the world. Retroactively they're in the battle taking up the last quarter of Book 1, but I didn't know about the weapons at that time so didn't include them. ;) (I was busy doing other tactics and strategies anyway.  :smitten: )
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Philippe on December 09, 2015, 03:50:44 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on December 08, 2015, 05:00:54 PM
Why thank you Jason - I never knew of such a thing.  I should have known from the spelling that the name was South American, but Philippe threw me with the caribou reference.  I've seen spear-chuckers, which have a similar idea, though lacking, I'm guessing, the flexible projectile.

I'm wondering though if this predates the sling as a weapon delivery system...

The atlatl is a seriously old system and I'm sure it predates the sling.

I'm sufficiently long in the tooth not to trust my memory on this kind of thing.  I remember studying the French ones in school, but didn't remember that they went as far back as the middle Palaeolithic ( i.e. before the Ice Age). 


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear-thrower


Why archeologists give things the names they do could be the subject of a Ph.D thesis in psychology.  My guess is that the first person who figured out what that oddly-shaped stick really was had had some exposure to hunting in the Americas.  If he'd spent time in Oz he would have given them an aboriginal name.  For better or for worse, atlatl is now enshrined in the literature.

The 'civilization' of the Late Stone Age that gave rise to things like the Lascaux cave paintings was built on large food surpluses that came from the (probably organized) hunting of herds of caribou and reindeer.  The herds lived in an ecological niche just beyond the edge of the glaciers, and when the ice retreated north, the reindeer followed and Paleolithic civilization more or less collapsed.  It took a couple thousand more years of post Ice Age living before anyone found an ecological niche that would generate a similar food surplus, but along the way managed to discover agriculture and how to grow their own. 

We don't know much about people back then, but we do know what they ate because people tended to live on their trash heaps.


Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 09, 2015, 05:47:14 PM


To be honest, some of these new things are repurposed old things. (FC2 had a lot of flammability. To the point where the devs like to joke about the time they test-started a fire and realized they needed to tamp down on some settings when they burned literally the whole gamemap.)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Father Ted on December 09, 2015, 05:53:59 PM
Stop getting this back on topic - moar archaeology!
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on December 09, 2015, 05:59:28 PM
Dropping bees on your opponents with attack owls == not currently supported by archaeology.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: glen55 on February 29, 2016, 11:43:36 PM
The setting has me jonesing hard.  I rarely buy on release day any more, but . . . it's almost through downloading now and scheduled to unlock in 17 minutes.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 01, 2016, 02:09:01 AM
Definitely not a pick up from me. You can take that to the bank.  >:D
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Yskonyn on March 01, 2016, 02:40:03 AM
You'll cave once we keep telling you that the beastmaster elements and the hunting (or being hunted) rocks your world and is not to be missed.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 01, 2016, 03:24:30 AM
In the famous words of Ashford and Simpson

Solid.....solid as a Jock

Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on March 01, 2016, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 01, 2016, 02:40:03 AM
You'll cave once we keep telling you that the beastmaster elements and the hunting (or being hunted) rocks your world and is not to be missed.

What you did there. I saw it.

... wait, did I preorder this? I mean, I'm the one who started the thread, I pre-ordered it, right? But I don't think it was preloading so...

{checking}

CRAP I DIDN'T PRE-ORDER IT!

{checking reviews}

THANK GOD I DIDN'T PRE-ORDER IT!  ::) :P

Apparently a lot of people are having problem with UbiDRM, water is wet, sky is blue. I haven't had a problem with that yet in regard to several other Ubi PC games, but I have other things to be playing so I'm not in a huge rush to beta test their DRM system.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: glen55 on March 01, 2016, 01:05:54 PM
I pre-ordered it.  I don't buy on release day much these days, but the setting had me hooked hard, especially with the hints that there are strategy elements.

It unlocked right on the dot at 9 o'clock Pacific.  A middling-sized first-day patch, and then Ubiplay had to be patched, but I was in by 9:20 (I get about 3 mbps download speed).

The game gets off to a great start.  You are plopped down with a group of stone-age bros on a mammoth hunt, given some simple instructions on how to move and use your spear, and off she goes.  The mammoth hunt is a blast, and everything makes sense.  Your stony buds all do smart stuff but a lot of the tough mammoth-killing is down to you and your spear.

Within 20 or 30 minutes of the start, a bunch of stuff happens, and you are by yourself, tasked with reuniting the Wenja clan.  I haven't really played enough to grasp the full game yet, but combat is fun.  I like the feel of the bow maybe better than any other game I've played using archery, and melee has some heft to it as well.  I'm not deep into gathering and crafting yet, but so far it is well-integrated into the flow of the game.  I mean, it makes a lot of sense that a caveman is making his own clubs, more so than a lot of RPGs where fighters are making their own armor, etc.

Well, it was late when I started, so I only played a little more than an hour, but I really enjoyed the hour.  More later.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: jomni on March 01, 2016, 04:50:19 PM
So do cavemen speak English?
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: undercovergeek on March 01, 2016, 05:35:19 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 01, 2016, 04:50:19 PM
So do cavemen speak English?

thats newcastle
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: JasonPratt on March 02, 2016, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 01, 2016, 04:50:19 PM
So do cavemen speak English?

No, but there are subtitles.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2016, 12:27:33 PM
Shooting cavemen in the face with a bow and arrow is oddly satisfying.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: glen55 on March 02, 2016, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2016, 12:27:33 PM
Shooting cavemen in the face with a bow and arrow is oddly satisfying.

Ha!  I think my favorite moment so far was when 3 cavemen started to bum-rush me from about 15-20 yards.  I popped the middle one right on the nose with an arrow, he went down with a thud, and before I could even pull out my club, the other two ran away!

Had to work til nearly midnight last night.   :-[  But I'm jonesing to play more.  Couldn't say whether the game has legs, but the first play session was much fun.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Tpek on March 03, 2016, 07:46:11 AM
So I'm assuming you're all enjoying it so far?
Opinions on Steam seem to indicate another bumbling release by Ubisoft.
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Yskonyn on March 03, 2016, 09:31:20 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 01, 2016, 11:26:29 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on March 01, 2016, 02:40:03 AM
You'll cave once we keep telling you that the beastmaster elements and the hunting (or being hunted) rocks your world and is not to be missed.

What you did there. I saw it.

Ah yes! But you failed to see the rock right next to it, didn't you? I hope you didn't stumble there ! :)
Title: Re: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN LISTEENNNNN!! ... ahem. Far Cry Primal pre-order.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 03, 2016, 10:27:47 AM
Quote from: Tpek on March 03, 2016, 07:46:11 AM
So I'm assuming you're all enjoying it so far?
Opinions on Steam seem to indicate another bumbling release by Ubisoft.

I don't see what could possibly be construed as "bumbling"...I purchased mine through GMG and have had no technical problems whatsoever with uplay, which I believe has been significantly refined.

Its a fun game. Not sure how much longevity it will have, but its definitely a nice change of pace.