Spent 45 mins getting blown up on Arma III again - i love it to bits but the action as a foot soldier is so short lived and then another 45 mins of trying to get my ass on the ground again
Have realised that getting home late its nice to just plug in and mow some people down for an hour
BF3? BF4?
I've been kind of enjoying Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising in singleplayer, running through the campaign. It's not quick action, though, and moving from the ARMA 3 UI to Op Flashpoint and back is jarring.
Maybe Rising Storm? That was my go to quick game fix for a while...much faster to get into and out of than KotH in ARMA 3.
I've really been enjoying Spec Ops: the Line lately. Sounds like it's just what you're after right now, Geek. Unhook brain, mow down waves of enemies in fantastically cinematic ways.
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 19, 2015, 08:03:19 PM
I've really been enjoying Spec Ops: the Line lately. Sounds like it's just what you're after right now, Geek. Unhook brain, mow down waves of enemies in fantastically cinematic ways.
But Spec Ops is not a FPS...its in the third person.
If you're looking for something lighter than ARMA. or even Op Flashpoint, as recommended by Toonces, check out Ghost Recon Future Soldier or Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. Both aging games, but still fantastic. Also look into anything in the Borderlands trilogy, or even Far Cry 4.
If you're looking for multiplayer, day of defeat is fun with little downtime between respawing. Also red orchestra or one of the mods is fun too and getting back into combat isn't too bad on the more populated servers.
One of my favorites though older, swat 4.. Wish they would consider releasing a newer version some day.
Red Orchestra 2 Rising Storm
Ditto Far Cry 4 -- but it takes a little while to get out of the plot setup and into the sandbox; and a little while longer to finish the first general area which gains you access to your first helicopter. Once you have that, you can load in or fast travel to the point near the copter, hop outside and run up the road, tag into the copter, and then zippy around the Himalayan hills, yay!
Another option might be Just Cause 2, which should be on sale right soon with JC3 coming up. Doesn't take as long to open up the sandbox, and the targets of opportunity are to die for. Can't recall if it's a 3PS or an FPS, but it's very easy to drop in and wander around dishing out chaos on the Godawful huge map; or plan a little something and see what happens.
If you have a console, and aren't adverse to 3PS, The Saboteur scratches a lot of the same massive-sandbox-target-opportunity itches as JC2 (once the sandbox opens up which doesn't take long), in a super noirish defense of Paris and the surrounding countryside. Plus your starting base is in a topless dance hall, so there's that. Not sure I can recommend it for PC, due to the DRM issues...
Note about FC4: if you get the Durgesh Prison DLC, you can essentially play a mini-campaign of the story, meant to last only an hour or two. You've got a 30 minute clock before an attack starts on your home base, and your goal is to buff it strongly enough to resist the attack. Achieving various kills and such will not only help toward buffing your base, but also add some time back to the clock, and you'll earn xp to unlock all the usual game abilities very quickly so you can even do a bit of xp management if you want.
Not sure about the Yeti base DLC; I think it's meant to be more methodically paced.
Spec Ops: The Line, while 3rd person, is really great.
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 19, 2015, 08:24:50 PM
One of my favorites though older, swat 4.. Wish they would consider releasing a newer version some day.
Same. I also recall having a hilariously good time playing it's two predecessors, SWAT 2 & 3, with buddies back in the LAN party days. When you had to carry your Tower and CRT monitor uphill, both ways, in the snow.
QuoteWhat are you guys recommending as an FPS?
My choices for multi-player FPS would be, in no specific order:
RO2/Rising Storm
Insurgency
Mount & Blade Napoleonic WarsIf I had to choose one, it would probably be Napoleonic Wars. It's not as twitchy as the others, can run a large population match (like 50v50 for example), and regularly provides some good laughs at some of the crazy things that happen. If you want over-caffeinated superspeed twitch, then this isn't for you as you'll be spending extra time reloading, dodging cavalry, dodging bayonets, dodging trees and walls with your horse, and constantly seeing your buddies take balls on their chin right next to you. Lead balls.
Although Heroes and Generals is a huge grindfest to level up your soldiers I find both the game play and the community a joy. It's kind of like a light version of Arma III set in WW2.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2015, 08:16:47 PM
But Spec Ops is not a FPS...its in the third person.
Oh yeah, haha! It will scratch the itch though.
I would highly recommend Destiny... but yeah, that would involve buying a PS4. O0
I'd say if you have an inherent love of muskets
Mount and Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars
And if that love for muskets includes World War I and space age zap guns then
Darkest of Days
Then if you'll go for a future war style setting, I'd say
Planetside 2
is your best bet. Massive scale battles, combined arms, vehicular cohesion, classes and roles, leadership, squad and platoon level co-ordination.. however it comes with a caveat.. you need to find a group who play it well together, and you may have to invest some money in it (its free to play), to unlock some of the kit you'll need, unless you're happy to grind your ass off World of Tanks style.
Why is no one recommending Star Wars Battlefront?
My favourite was Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, most fun I ever had multiplayer. Haven't really played one since Bad Company so out of touch here.
Quote from: jomni on November 20, 2015, 03:32:48 AM
Why is no one recommending Star Wars Battlefront?
That's actually a good game.
is there still an active Bad Company 2 community? That was a time sink on the PS3 before it went all serious with BF 3 and BF4
i suppose it would be either WW2 or modern era - ill see if its still alive
Have you played the newest Wolfenstein? Awesome game.
was looking for MP mainly
RO2 is a great game, but if you've not played it before, be prepared to die a lot, probably before you even see an enemy. Then when you finally see an enemy and shoot him, you'll find that you've TK'd someone. I've put a fair few hours into it, and I still need a couple of maps to get my eye in. I recommend it highly, but you have to give it a good go.
Planetside 2 is also a fave of mine. The huge, open-world action and massive battles are a big draw. Also it's ftp - and I've barely felt the need to spend any money.
Both of these are large-scale, so as a newbie you won't stand out like you would in a Counterstrike clone, though in PS2 you tend to feel a bit lost without friends on TS.
dug around today, im liking TF2, BFBC2 or Planetside 2
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 20, 2015, 10:09:50 AM
was looking for MP mainly
In that case, I'll also recommend
Insurgency. It's like CS:GO only a bit slower which is ideal for old farts such as yourself. It has a co-op mode which is really good fun.
old fart is it???
dont let me find you on a server welsh boy
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 20, 2015, 01:05:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 20, 2015, 10:09:50 AM
was looking for MP mainly
In that case, I'll also recommend Insurgency. It's like CS:GO only a bit slower which is ideal for old farts such as yourself. It has a co-op mode which is really good fun.
Hmmm...this has the makings of a clan.
Sounds good Ted!
Geek: I'll put a bullet between your eyes before you can say zimmer frame. :P
LMAO
Insurgency 50% off at gmg
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/insurgency/
Good work, Grim! It's a sign!
Just this second finished a half-hour session with a bunch of strangers (coop v bots) and it is good fun. I died a lot and we bonded a bit. Would be great on TS with like-minded souls. Hit me up (or whatever the kidz say) on Steam if you fancy a go. I even have a TS server available.
Do kidz say 'fancy a go?'
Quote from: Gusington on November 20, 2015, 07:51:55 PM
Do kidz say 'fancy a go?'
Damn - busted.
Actually, as I'm English, perhaps I should say "rumbled", or "cor blimey guv, you've got me there".
Ahem. In the end, IMHO, it's a fun game, and, I think, worth a Groggy look.
Red Orchestra 2, ARMA 3 or Verdun if it's online realistic fps you want.
Quote from: Father Ted on November 20, 2015, 07:36:42 PM
Just this second finished a half-hour session with a bunch of strangers (coop v bots) and it is good fun. I died a lot and we bonded a bit. Would be great on TS with like-minded souls. Hit me up (or whatever the kidz say) on Steam if you fancy a go. I even have a TS server available.
Co-op is where it's at in my opinion, it's what sets Insurgency apart from the rest. The AI bots are absolutely mental and I find with groups of randoms that we lose far more often than we win.
Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 20, 2015, 10:52:24 PM
Red Orchestra 2, ARMA 3 or Verdun if it's online realistic fps you want.
It helps to actually read the OP before responding, instead of just the thread title and then going for broke. O0
This sort of thing gives me the horn...
It's a Mount and Blade mod called "North and South".
I have put almost 3000 hours into Ro2... Still the bestww2 fps out there... lately my game of choice is BF4...... its fast paced, but it can be a lot of fun especially if you have someone to play with...
I also enjoyed Bf3.
FPS games and I parted ways some years ago over motion sickness. The ridiculous gun-bob in ARMA makes it unplayable for me and that's always made me a bit sad...
That aside, the one that's managed to remain in my library is CS:GO. It's still being regularly updated, has a hojillion unlocks, upgrades, &c., and fits nicely the bill of "run, shoot, duck, shoot, jump, shoot...DAMMIT, dead...restart".
Has anyone tried Project Reality for BF2? I went on to YouTube last night to watch Falcon BMS videos and somehow got sidetracked into watching project reality vids. Holy crap it looked awesome! It's amazing what they've managed to do with the old BF2 engine. Lots of factions with unique weapons, vehicles and gear and it's still being actively supported and developed. A whole set of Falkland war maps and factions are in development currently.
Anyway, it's obviously geared toward mp, but does have bots and most maps can be played sp. it's a 7 gig download and does not require the original bf2 to play!
Check it out.
http://www.realitymod.com (http://www.realitymod.com)
I played a little back when it was still a mod for BF2. Had one or two pretty fun games but for the most part the game was full of Walter Mitty try-hards who took the "reality" part of the title too seriously and spent most of their time trying to out-"tacticool" each other and whining about who was where in the chain of command and who took who's helicopter/jeep/tank/binky. Decent enough game, annoying community.
I just ran across their page again recently, didn't know it had become a standalone. Might download it to see what's changed since I won't have to go try and find my old BF2 disc lol.
Aren't they the guys doing squad?
Project Reality is/was a wonderful realistic shooter. it really shined when you had a good squad leader and a good commander......
I played a single player round last night as the IDF against Hamas. The bots seem to just gravitate toward the center of the map and then duke it out, and they are also crack shots, but it was still a pretty intense experience. With a bunch of serious players I see this being a very good gaming experience.
Hey JH, I gotta thank you for pointing this mod out. I had come across it a while back when I was looking for a Falklands mod for ARMA. I didn't realize it was stand alone now- that changes everything.
I'm definitely going to download this and give it a try.
Quote from: Toonces on November 23, 2015, 12:07:15 PM
Hey JH, I gotta thank you for pointing this mod out. I had come across it a while back when I was looking for a Falklands mod for ARMA. I didn't realize it was stand alone now- that changes everything.
I'm definitely going to download this and give it a try.
No problem. Let me know when you are up and running. There is a co-op mode for playing against bots and I think that would be a lot of fun.
Quote from: Toonces on November 23, 2015, 12:07:15 PM
Hey JH, I gotta thank you for pointing this mod out.
My thanks also. I've downloaded it and had a go in SP. Took me a while to get a game going (maybe I should RTFM). It
is butt-ugly compared to modern shooters, but I like the scale, and the atmosphere.
^I don't think it looks THAT bad. I like the diversity of equipment and vehicles and the maps and terrain is pretty well done too. Its no ARMA 3 in terms of graphics, but it also doesn't turn me off, which is something last gen games tend to do sometimes.
Whoops..sorry.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2015, 04:59:24 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 20, 2015, 10:52:24 PM
Red Orchestra 2, ARMA 3 or Verdun if it's online realistic fps you want.
It helps to actually read the OP before responding, instead of just the thread title and then going for broke. O0
Insurgency is as cheap as chips on Steam at the moment.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222880/