GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: KyzBP on November 21, 2015, 06:21:30 PM

Title: Hard West
Post by: KyzBP on November 21, 2015, 06:21:30 PM
Is anyone playing this?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/ (http://store.steampowered.com/app/307670/)

I did a search and didn't see any mention of this in these here forums.  I'd like to hear some opinions.

I've been in a gaming funk lately and this looks just weird enough to keep my attention. 
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: bbmike on November 21, 2015, 06:34:43 PM
I went through the tutorial and started one mission. It is very X-Com like. I liked what I saw but haven't spent a lot of time with it yet. Also, I don't like that you can't save the game at any time. But, so far so good. Full disclosure - I like westerns!
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: TacticalWargames on November 21, 2015, 09:38:09 PM
Worth the money definitely. I'm enjoying it. Though I can imagine having to restart the same scenario over and over again as you keep dying near the end will get annoying. One thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the mining for gold aspect.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: bbmike on November 21, 2015, 09:51:11 PM
Not sure I like the mining. It seems like it's just a text/random chance game. But I agree, the game is fun!
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: -budd- on November 21, 2015, 10:44:42 PM
so its a perma death kinda game. I am a big western fan, but just not into restarting over and over again. Well maybe if goes on a 75% off sale.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: TacticalWargames on November 21, 2015, 11:51:18 PM
-budd- not quite. It's just the mission your on you have to replay.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 22, 2015, 12:02:44 AM
I need to actually sit down and play this, considering I did Kickstart the damn game. Perhaps it's time to park the shooters for a bit.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: bbmike on November 22, 2015, 08:19:15 AM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 21, 2015, 11:51:18 PM
-budd- not quite. It's just the mission your on you have to replay.

Also know that (at least for mission 1) if anyone in your party dies, you fail the mission!
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: KyzBP on November 22, 2015, 09:38:43 AM
Is the game itself linear?  Do you have choices to make between missions?  Do you choose between multiple missions?
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2015, 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on November 22, 2015, 09:38:43 AM
Is the game itself linear?  Do you have choices to make between missions?  Do you choose between multiple missions?

More like a path with the occasional possibility of a branch. 

The map lets you pick & choose between a few locations at a time, but from the bit I've seen you're pretty much led by the nose toward the next main encounter. 

From the little bit I played, the tactical part is quite fun and the artistic style is pleasing without being too gaudy.  But moving around on the map, prospecting and doing the occasional gunfight, is rather dull window dressing attempting to disguise the fact that the game progression is pretty linear.

It looks to be a good start because the battles are great, as is the Supernatural West setting.  Fortunately it's not a wallet buster.  Hopefully they will add some DLC to open the campaign up some more.   Just an impression from a 1.5 hour session; I've been locked into CoE4 lately.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2015, 12:22:00 PM
That has been posted about on these forums I'm sure.

But no - not interested tbh.
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: Zulu1966 on November 22, 2015, 12:28:43 PM
Have it - seems ok - not as good as xcom.

One thing I really dont like is an apparent lack of opportunity fire. Anyone found how to do that ?
Title: Re: Hard West
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2015, 03:40:04 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on November 22, 2015, 12:28:43 PM
Have it - seems ok - not as good as xcom.

One thing I really dont like is an apparent lack of opportunity fire. Anyone found how to do that ?

There is no Op fire.