GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Philippe on November 22, 2015, 12:15:24 PM

Title: Space Engineers
Post by: Philippe on November 22, 2015, 12:15:24 PM
The game has just had a big expansion so I expect that it is probably a bit buggy right now.  But it's on sale right now and I don't have time today to learn to play it even though it's a free weekend.

So my question to those of you who have played it is should I take advantage of the sale, or wait six to nine month for the kinks to get worked out?

Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2015, 05:12:19 PM
Its extremely stable and well polished. Yes, they just released an updates which added planets, and to the extent that is buggy, you could just stay away from them and build in space. Overall, its been one of the more polished early access games out there. 
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on November 29, 2015, 06:46:30 PM
I saw this on sale and was going to ask what you thought of it. I take it from what you say that it is a good purchasing decision. O0
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Father Ted on November 29, 2015, 07:03:28 PM
I loved the idea of this and bought it a while back.  I still love the idea (build your own Millenium Falcon/USS Enterprise/Red Dwarf!), but just find that the building aspect wears me out very quickly.  It's the same with Medieval Engineers - great concept, just too exhausting to play.

Of course that's an entirely subjective opinion, and probably says more about my own failings than the game's, but I thought I would flag it up as a pre-purchase consideration.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on November 29, 2015, 07:06:43 PM
Thanks, I appreciate that. Is it massively micromanagement, or reasonably doable. Can you automate any activities? Any advice is appreciated. O0
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2015, 07:18:34 PM
I agree with Ted. If you are going to build anything on a massive scale, you are going to need a healthy dose of time and patience. I also find that I get turned off by the prospect of building something large that is just going to take too much time that I will never complete it. That being said, nothing says you have to build large vessels, objects or stations. You could build small shuttle, fighter/bomber class craft, etc. really, the only limit is your imagination.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. O0

BTW, I love the Star Wars Cat speeders, and your Combat Chicken avatar (which reminds me a bit of Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken). Very cool! O0 ;D
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Father Ted on November 30, 2015, 07:40:31 PM
Probably an eagle there Boggit .

Anyhoo, on topic...The game is essentially virtual Lego, where you are the size of a Lego figure.  You can speed up building by "painting" areas with identical blocks (for walls and floors mainly), but otherwise it's piece by piece, and you have to move around your creation in order to construct it.  The latter aspect, plus the fiddling to get the pieces to snap together, is what gets tiresome for me.  Just to expand on what Jarhead said: you choose at the start of each build whether to make a craft in which you sit flight-sim style, a larger ship which you can also pilot and walk around in, or a space station.

You can join others in multiplayer, to make building quicker, but also, as weapons are available, to blast each other's creations apart.

It's very much a sandbox - no gameplay as such.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. O0

BTW, I love the Star Wars Cat speeders, and your Combat Chicken avatar (which reminds me a bit of Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken). Very cool! O0 ;D

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude. I went as 'Murica for Halloween this year.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: DoctorQuest on November 30, 2015, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 09:20:39 PM

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude.

You don't have any idea how much I want to use this as a sig line.

Although.........the idea of a very well armed chicken is intriguing.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: AchillesLastStand on November 30, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
Had my eye on this for a while as well as Medieval Engineers but may wait for the Christmas sale. Has anyone tried Empyrion - Galactic Survival http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/ Its been getting very good ratings.

Empyrion - Galactic Survival is a 3D open world, space survival adventure in which you can fly across space and land on planets. Build, explore, fight and survive in a hostile galaxy full of hidden dangers.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 11:16:22 PM
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on November 30, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
Had my eye on this for a while as well as Medieval Engineers but may wait for the Christmas sale. Has anyone tried Empyrion - Galactic Survival http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/ Its been getting very good ratings.

Empyrion - Galactic Survival is a 3D open world, space survival adventure in which you can fly across space and land on planets. Build, explore, fight and survive in a hostile galaxy full of hidden dangers.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14436.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14436.0)
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on December 01, 2015, 07:06:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. O0

BTW, I love the Star Wars Cat speeders, and your Combat Chicken avatar (which reminds me a bit of Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken). Very cool! O0 ;D

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude. I went as 'Murica for Halloween this year.
LOL! Very cool anyway. :)
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on December 01, 2015, 07:10:15 PM
If you could only buy one, which would you get and why... Empyrion or Space Engineers?
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 01, 2015, 07:20:52 PM
Probably space engineers. It's more polished and further along in its development.
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on December 02, 2015, 03:50:24 PM
Thanks JH. Good to know. O0
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Freyland on December 02, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
"And knowing is half the battle."

                                    G.I. jabiru
Title: Re: Space Engineers
Post by: Boggit on December 02, 2015, 05:12:51 PM
Quote from: Freyland on December 02, 2015, 04:17:35 PM
"And knowing is half the battle."

                                    G.I. jabiru
;D