GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Ubercat on November 26, 2015, 09:36:54 AM

Title: War in the East question...
Post by: Ubercat on November 26, 2015, 09:36:54 AM
I thought I saw a WitE thread here recently but it doesn't appear to be in the first five pages. Time to start a new thread I guess.

Does anyone know, definitively, if every physical copy of the game comes with the huge physical manual? I want to get the game but I must have the manual as well. Buying from Ebay is pointless without the book. If I were to do that, I'd just D/L from the Steam sale.

Thanks!  Oh... and Happy Thanksgiving!
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Con on November 26, 2015, 09:45:01 AM
Might not be answering your question directly but I put all my manuals on the ipad as a pdf.  This allows me to read them as I am playing.  the other advantage of doing this with WiE is there are several good help tutorials written by players and I have also saved them as pdf files.  So an ipad for me now is an essential piece of wargaming kit

Con

Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 26, 2015, 09:45:23 AM
According to the store page...it says....

Standard Edition: This edition comes with a full color printed box, full color printed CD (with your order number and serial number printed on it), a Printed grayscale manual and a PDF E-Book indexed manual.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Pete Dero on November 26, 2015, 10:16:50 AM
The manual might be outdated and incomplete :

From the Matrix forums
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3232006


RE: Updated Manual - 8/1/2015 1:44:28 PM       


So is the printed manual now for sale (August 2015) the original manual or a version which includes current updates?

(in reply to Apollo11)   


Joel Billings
Moderator

It's the original, and IIRC, only a small portion of the WitE pdf manual was printed.



Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: JasonPratt on November 26, 2015, 10:21:37 AM
I'm sure the manual is technically outdated, but when I ordered it several years ago (before the expansion) it came with a printed manual.

Updates don't tend to fix the pdf versions of the manual either, so IN ANY CASE the manual is going to be outdated. Not sure if you can copy-paste from the pdf to try to make a 'living manual' to update anything worth updating.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Zulu1966 on November 26, 2015, 02:28:46 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on November 26, 2015, 10:16:50 AM
The manual might be outdated and incomplete :

From the Matrix forums
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3232006


RE: Updated Manual - 8/1/2015 1:44:28 PM       


So is the printed manual now for sale (August 2015) the original manual or a version which includes current updates?

(in reply to Apollo11)   


Joel Billings
Moderator

It's the original, and IIRC, only a small portion of the WitE pdf manual was printed.


Given the amount of errata this game has generated the manual is Very outdated and incomplete. Even the 'living' updated manual is very out of date. IIRC the printed manual was only a subsection in any case. Definitely not worth paying extra for.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Ubercat on November 26, 2015, 02:36:27 PM
Thanks, guys!
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: BigBlueFleet on November 26, 2015, 07:50:57 PM
Agreed with above. I'm a fan of hard copies so a CD is must have for me but the enclosed manual at this point isn't worth looking over as too much has changed.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: JasonPratt on November 27, 2015, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: BigBlueFleet on November 26, 2015, 07:50:57 PM
Agreed with above. I'm a fan of hard copies so a CD is must have for me.

This, this, a thousand times this.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Dammit Carl! on November 27, 2015, 08:48:09 PM
Egad.  With the prices available for this game plus its add-ons, I should just go ahead and bite the bullet for this one, shouldn't I?

Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: -budd- on November 27, 2015, 09:20:09 PM
WITE and expansions appear to be cheaper on steam. $54.00 for the whole bundle.
Title: Re: War in the East question...
Post by: Dammit Carl! on November 27, 2015, 09:24:38 PM
Oh yeah...its sooo close to going into the shopping cart.

Blows my "budget," for the other games I've got in mind to get, but man, what a way to go.