GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Philippe on November 30, 2015, 11:50:21 AM

Title: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Philippe on November 30, 2015, 11:50:21 AM
I've got some Gamersgate Blue Coins that are about to expire.

I've been trying to figure out what to spend them on.  I'd like to use them on an add-on for a game that I don't own yet but that I know I will want in about six months or so.

The game and all of its add-ons can be purchased on Steam.

My concern is that if I buy the add-on through Gamersgate, when I get around to buying the game through Steam I may not remember that I already own the add-on, and buy it twice.

So here's my question:

If I buy an add-on through Gamersgate that give me a Steam key, if I activate that Steam key, will the Steam sales lists mark that game as being in my library, even though I don't own the game?
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Nefaro on November 30, 2015, 11:53:30 AM
I doubt it will let you activate a DLC code on Steam if you don't own the base game.

Could be wrong, though.
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on November 30, 2015, 01:16:42 PM
I haven't tried buying an add-on for a game I don't own, but Steam does let you GIFT such things to other people, so it must be possible to buy them without owning the base game.

If it was impossible, Steam wouldn't even let you put it in the cart, whereas it warns you if you don't have the base game -- but you can still buy it to give to someone else.

The simplest solution would be to put a reminder on your phone calendar perhaps, Philippe, that six months from now you're thinking of getting the base game and you already have the DLC. :D
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Nefaro on November 30, 2015, 02:12:55 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 30, 2015, 01:16:42 PM
I haven't tried buying an add-on for a game I don't own, but Steam does let you GIFT such things to other people, so it must be possible to buy them without owning the base game.

If it was impossible, Steam wouldn't even let you put it in the cart, whereas it warns you if you don't have the base game -- but you can still buy it to give to someone else.



He's talking about buying a Steam DLC code with Blue Coins at Gamersgate, not purchasing at Steam.  ;)


Edit:

Of course.. if the DLC is purchased on Gamersgate, then he should be able to just keep his Steam activation code for it until picking up the core game on Steam (THEN use it).  However, I'm not sure if there's a time constraint on using Steam activation codes after they're issued.  Probably a good question to ask of Gamersgate, where you may actually get a CS answer.
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: JasonPratt on November 30, 2015, 03:12:29 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 30, 2015, 02:12:55 PM
He's talking about buying a Steam DLC code with Blue Coins at Gamersgate, not purchasing at Steam.  ;)

I know -- but it just occurred to me I wasn't taking account of the activation step. Buying DLC at Steam and gifting it isn't the same as activating it (of course).  :-[

Quote from: Nefaro on November 30, 2015, 02:12:55 PMHowever, I'm not sure if there's a time constraint on using Steam activation codes after they're issued.

Is there a time constraint on activation codes generated for box games which might sit on a shelf for who knows how long? If not, I can't imagine why there would be for other sales off-site.
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:54:31 PM
I suspect if you activate the product - dlc or not - it should show up as owned as it attaches to your account. To be certain check with Steam Support.
Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 09:24:40 AM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:54:31 PM
To be certain check with Steam Support.


ROFL

Be lucky to hear back from Steam "Support" before next year with anything other than a pre-fab email.

Title: Re: Really basic question about Steam
Post by: Boggit on December 01, 2015, 07:03:08 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2015, 09:24:40 AM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:54:31 PM
To be certain check with Steam Support.


ROFL

Be lucky to hear back from Steam "Support" before next year with anything other than a pre-fab email.
To be fair, you're right... :(