Anyone aware of modern titles that have a scenario taking place during the siege of the foreign legation during the Boxer Rebellion? With all the different imperial power nations represented, and so many different kinds of weaponry involved, I think it would make for some great gaming. All I can possibly think of is Age of Rifles, but I don't see that running on Win8.1.
Age of Rifles runs without problem under DOSBox. But you still need the original CD to run it.
And your right, the Boxer Rebellion would make for some great gaming. Hopefully someone will be along with a suggestion or two.
Some of these 19th century wars just beg for a Combat Mission-style WEGO skirmishing game, where victory is determined by eliminating a single battery of cannon or capturing a fort or bridge or hilltop and units are represented to the man.
By some slim chance there may be a mod for Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2015, 08:38:00 PM
Some of these 19th century wars just beg for a Combat Mission-style WEGO skirmishing game, where victory is determined by eliminating a single battery of cannon or capturing a fort or bridge or hilltop and units are represented to the man.
It always seems to me that China is not well-represented in games. I guess the rather mixed results of Chinese resistance to various naval powers makes it a far from obvious set of situations. And the Tai'ping Rebellion doesn't clarify things -- though if you have ever met any Guadong girls you begin to see some of the logic there.
Some fun scenarios of an AGEOD type would be: The struggle for Formosa in the 17th Century (the "Pepper Wars"). And of course the Opium Wars and the war with Japan.
I seem to recall a mod for Shogun 2 that includes Korea but not China itself. Not for sure though. Too bad. I would love to sail HMS Warrior up the Yangtze and blast some Boxer shore batteries.
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2015, 08:38:00 PM
Some of these 19th century wars just beg for a Combat Mission-style WEGO skirmishing game, where victory is determined by eliminating a single battery of cannon or capturing a fort or bridge or hilltop and units are represented to the man.
+ 1000. Or heck, even represented as companies or regiments. CM-WEGO real-time could easily scale upward with representation.
Come to think of it, this seems to be the concept of the tactical engine for the battles in Oriental Empires! -- make your plans, end your turn, watch the results in WEGO realtime, turn ends and adjust the plans. Plus a TotalWarish strategic level!
You'd have to be rather careful in a Boxer rebellion skirmish game.
Dan Dailey, USMC, defended an outpost on the Tatar Wall and with only a rifle and bayonet took out over a hundred Boxers.
Not surprising. He got his second Medal of Honor at Bellau Wood leading an attack on german machine guns.
"Come on, you sons of bitches. Did you want to live forever?"
That trailer is loin-moistening.
Didn't word 'oriental' get outlawed by the PC police a while ago?
The Boxer Rebellion is in Pride of Nations and Victoria II but I'm guessing that's not the scale you're looking for.
You could go old school and get some 15 or 25mm miniatures.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F__KHoCLZ4cTo%2FTSvCQTfuJXI%2FAAAAAAAAA6Q%2FVInaOUiz8vw%2Fs1600%2FDSC03538.JPG&hash=12cc086bfc195467774964d5b2606b69a3aee552)
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Festock%2Ffspid9%2F20%2F78%2F57%2F2%2Fwargame-vancouver-convention-2078572-o.jpg&hash=ff330793f7ed0733d9227ee80b3224c5b56eb337)
^Wow. Impressive.
SDR is the winner.
Are....
....
.....are those war hippos?? :o
Blasphemy! You won't see Torii gates in China. And also those Buddha busts.
Quote from: Gusington on December 08, 2015, 08:34:06 PM
SDR is the winner.
Not me. The guys who spend all their time and money collecting, making, and painting that stuff are. I just show up, use their stuff, and feel shame when I accidentally bend or break off a bayonet or some such. The first pic was just a Google search. The second is from a Vancouver gaming group. They hold monthly meet ups and have a huge annual gathering in April.
Quote from: jomni on December 08, 2015, 09:47:31 PM
Blasphemy! You won't see Torii gates in China. And also those Buddha busts.
You would at the Japanese legation.
I feel like this may explain the war hippos, too.
Not that I'm complaining. Because, war hippos. :smitten:
Yet another conflict that would be fascinating to game but falls enough outside of the mainstream to be unlikely to see. I'm not sure I've even ever seen a board game of this.
High Flying Dice does have a game that covers battles (land and naval) during the Sino-Japanese War.
I think I used to date a War Hippo. Or maybe we just went to a couple of buffets together. Or was that a unit in Tarzan Total War?
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 08, 2015, 11:15:25 PM
I think I used to date a War Hippo. Or maybe we just went to a couple of buffets together. Or was that a unit in Tarzan Total War?
I think it's a Jethro Tull album.
Hahaha!! Ok panzerde is the winner.
Agree with Panzerde.