GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 06:32:40 PM

Title: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 06:32:40 PM
Mentioned in this weeks Friday thread that me and Tuna and my buddy in Cali got a Civ IV mp game going.  Got replies in thread from jamus34 and Barthheart about interest in joining a game.

Now, all of you know my absolute love for this game and my semi-regular attempts to mp SOMETHING with this bunch, so, I am going to attempt this again.

The way I see it, we need to decide some basic things first.  Who's in?  What day and time?  How long will play sessions be?  I see those being the most important things to decide before we begin.  Once we have that, we can decide the other stuff specific to the game.  Map size and type?  Victory Conditions?  How many AI (if we can't get enough dedicated human players)?  And so on.

If you want to participate, please jump in and say so.  And let's get to planning!!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 12, 2015, 08:44:44 PM
I'm typically around 8-10 EST most nights but will not be around much during the holidays.

Weekday might work out better in case of "social agendas".

As far as game setup I'm ok with whatever, just need to know if there are any house rules that should be upheld.

Is BtS the only expansion that you guys use?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 08:58:37 PM
Yes on BtS.  It's got all the bells and whistles.  I was looking more towards weekend mornings.  Although, night time during the week could work, too.  Which brings up the question, what time zone is everyone in?  I'm CST.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 12, 2015, 09:17:00 PM
I don't currently have CiV IV on Steam. So it will take a pretty good sale to get me in as I already own it all on CD.

Carry on and don't wait fer me. I'll send up a flare if I pick it up.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 09:27:39 PM
It won't be the same without you.  Thanks for letting us know though.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 12, 2015, 10:57:26 PM
It will probably be 7.49 in the next Steam sale for complete. I was in the Thanksgiving one.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
Can pick up at kinguin for about $5 :)

http://www.kinguin.net/category/754/sid-meier-s-civilization-iv-the-complete-edition-steam-key/
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
What's your excuse now, Barthheart?  ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 13, 2015, 05:23:17 PM
 :'( And there was great sadness in Freylandia.  I would love to get some civ iv mp action, but my availability is inconsistent and any give night I could get called into the hospital.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 06:07:33 PM
Are you on Steam?  I don't have you on my friends list, but you can certainly add me.  Whenever you see me online, ping me.  It's likely I'm just killing time anyways ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
Can pick up at kinguin for about $5 :)

http://www.kinguin.net/category/754/sid-meier-s-civilization-iv-the-complete-edition-steam-key/

4.84 euro is like $10 CDN....  :P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 13, 2015, 09:02:02 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
Can pick up at kinguin for about $5 :)

http://www.kinguin.net/category/754/sid-meier-s-civilization-iv-the-complete-edition-steam-key/

4.84 euro is like $10 CDN....  :P

On the site it says 6.92 Canadian, so all good to go:)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
Thank you, GR.  Sounding more and more like you just don't want to lose, Barthheart... ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:03:31 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 13, 2015, 09:02:02 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 08:58:46 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 12, 2015, 11:22:01 PM
Can pick up at kinguin for about $5 :)

http://www.kinguin.net/category/754/sid-meier-s-civilization-iv-the-complete-edition-steam-key/

4.84 euro is like $10 CDN....  :P


Quit being reasonable!  :knuppel2:

On the site it says 6.92 Canadian, so all good to go:)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
Thank you, GR.  Sounding more and more like you just don't want to lose, Barthheart... ;)

Yeah.... come and play CiV like a real man.  ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 13, 2015, 09:05:15 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
Thank you, GR.  Sounding more and more like you just don't want to lose, Barthheart... ;)

Yeah.... come and play CiV like a real man.  ;)

I wish I could wrap my head around those games.....nothing ever clicks for me.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:09:54 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 13, 2015, 09:05:15 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:02:52 PM
Thank you, GR.  Sounding more and more like you just don't want to lose, Barthheart... ;)

Yeah.... come and play CiV like a real man.  ;)

I wish I could wrap my head around those games.....nothing ever clicks for me.

What about it doesn't click? It's got hexes fer heaven's sake!  :D

It's the same only just one unit per hex. No more Stacks of Doom.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:17:28 PM
Is that the one with the hexes and one unit per country?  That looks terrible onscreen?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 13, 2015, 09:18:25 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:17:28 PM
Is that the one with the hexes and one unit per country?  That looks terrible onscreen?

Stack of Doom slut.  :P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 09:18:54 PM
I just like to get my point across. ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 14, 2015, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 12, 2015, 09:17:00 PM
I don't currently have CiV IV on Steam. So it will take a pretty good sale to get me in as I already own it all on CD.


Is this relevant just because it's easier to hook up with one's Steam friends, or is there a compatibility issue betwixt Steam and non-Steam copies?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 14, 2015, 11:07:53 AM
Quote from: Freyland on December 14, 2015, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 12, 2015, 09:17:00 PM
I don't currently have CiV IV on Steam. So it will take a pretty good sale to get me in as I already own it all on CD.


Is this relevant just because it's easier to hook up with one's Steam friends, or is there a compatibility issue betwixt Steam and non-Steam copies?

There are no longer the GameSpy servers to play MP on so you need to have the Steam version for MP.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Barthheart is correct.  Much to my dismay :(
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 14, 2015, 11:38:36 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Barthheart is correct.  Much to my dismay :(

Hmmmm are you dismayed that I'm correct or that GameSpy is gone....  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 14, 2015, 12:47:26 PM
Civ IV MP... boy, there's something that sparks my interest. I still play BtS with the Revolutions mod but only against the AI. If you can stand a multiplayer rookie, I'd like to give it a shot. I'm on the U.S. west coast but I'm retired so I can be flexible as to playing time. The holidays can be a challenge time-wise but other than that, I'd be good to go.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: JasonPratt on December 14, 2015, 05:27:01 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
What's your excuse now, Barthheart?  ;)

He has OTHER DAMN COMMITMENTS!  :knuppel2:

Don't distract him. Doomsluts or no doomsluts.

QuoteDoomslut plays "Experimental Chaos Music" which could be somewhat described as Noise/Psychedelic Drone Doom with torment and torture elements.

Sooo, Noise Marine Demonettes, then.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 06:47:58 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 14, 2015, 11:38:36 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Barthheart is correct.  Much to my dismay :(

Hmmmm are you dismayed that I'm correct or that GameSpy is gone....  :knuppel2:

That GameSpy is gone.  As an aside, I don't know if they are still doing it, but, you used to be able to send 2K a pic of your Civ IV box and they would send you a Steam code for free.

Quote from: Millipede on December 14, 2015, 12:47:26 PM
Civ IV MP... boy, there's something that sparks my interest. I still play BtS with the Revolutions mod but only against the AI. If you can stand a multiplayer rookie, I'd like to give it a shot. I'm on the U.S. west coast but I'm retired so I can be flexible as to playing time. The holidays can be a challenge time-wise but other than that, I'd be good to go.

Millipede, we'd be glad to have you.  My steady playing partner is on the West Coast, too, so, no worries.  Soon as we can firm up a roster, we'll start working out the details.

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 14, 2015, 05:27:01 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
What's your excuse now, Barthheart?  ;)

He has OTHER DAMN COMMITMENTS!  :knuppel2:


Wouldn't be too much of a bother.  He doesn't usually hang around too long in our games ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 14, 2015, 07:02:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2015, 06:07:33 PM
Are you on Steam?  I don't have you on my friends list, but you can certainly add me.  Whenever you see me online, ping me.  It's likely I'm just killing time anyways ;)
Um, which Metaldog are you?  There are quite a few to choose from.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 07:09:24 PM
Actually, I am stophro on Steam.  And I guarantee there's only one of those :)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 14, 2015, 08:18:09 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 06:47:58 PM
Wouldn't be too much of a bother.  He doesn't usually hang around too long in our games ;)

Thems fightin words there son.  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 14, 2015, 08:54:25 PM
You gotta play in order to fight ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 14, 2015, 11:07:51 PM
I'm in...but the holidays are rough. I'm around for another week or so then out of pocket until the new year.

I can start...but might be better to coordinate this for January.

My availability is still best in the evenings 8-11 EST due the the social lives of my kids.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 15, 2015, 12:12:42 AM
I'm good with starting in January.  Gives everybody enough time to play some and refresh.  I would like it though that everyone that says yes to really do their honest best to make this appointment gaming.  I think we could really all have some fun and gives you something to look forward to.  And evenings should be fine for me. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 15, 2015, 01:26:43 PM
I mentioned the "Legends of Revolution" mod for BtS earlier and if anyone is interested in checking it out, you can get it here: http://www.gamewatcher.com/mods/civilization-iv-beyond-the-sword-mod/legends-of-revolution-0-9-9b
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: OJsDad on December 17, 2015, 05:48:36 PM
Civ V doesn't allow PBEM?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 17, 2015, 05:53:50 PM
I haven't participated in Civ V multiplayer but I'm pretty sure that it's possible with Steam.

I think that the issue is that some have a preference for Civ IV.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
Pretty sure you can PBEM Civ IV.  As far as V is concerned I would doubt it.  Any game that can only afford one unit per hex has got to be missing some stuff.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 07:37:42 PM
Oh shut up!

Of course there's MP in Civ V. MD's just mad cause he's not smart enough to figure out how to play it.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: OJsDad on December 17, 2015, 08:57:59 PM
Ooops.  Sorry, your talking about a Civ IV game, your just not doing it as PBEM. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 09:10:09 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 17, 2015, 08:57:59 PM
Ooops.  Sorry, your talking about a Civ IV game, your just not doing it as PBEM.

Just to be clear my "Shut up" was not directed at you but at MD fer whining about Civ V.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: OJsDad on December 17, 2015, 09:26:25 PM
I knew that Barth. My ooops was that I thought he was planning a game on Civ V but the thread clearly says Civ IV.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 09:32:48 PM
I would be thoroughly offended if I were you OJsDad!  That Barthheart is liberally throwing around orders to 'Shut up!'  Regardless of who it is directed at!  Heathen scientist run amok!!!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 09:36:26 PM
Who are you callin a scientist?!? I'm an engineer, I work for a living!  :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Bison on December 17, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!

This sounds like the complaint of someone who cannot strategized beyond a doom stack. 8)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!

This sounds like the complaint of someone who cannot strategized beyond a doom stack. 8)

This.... X1,000,000.  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!

This sounds like the complaint of someone who cannot strategized beyond a doom stack. 8)

This.... X1,000,000.  O0

Stack implies more than 1.  Single means one.  Doesn't it take more planning and ability to strategize multiples rather than singles?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 17, 2015, 11:27:51 PM
This thread has me rolling on the floor...and realizing I'm gonna get walked all over.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 11:57:07 PM
Nah.  According to some, the 'REAL' players are playing a different game.  We'll just have to make do with the scraps.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Bison on December 18, 2015, 05:10:55 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 17, 2015, 10:19:11 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!

This sounds like the complaint of someone who cannot strategized beyond a doom stack. 8)

This.... X1,000,000.  O0

Stack implies more than 1.  Single means one.  Doesn't it take more planning and ability to strategize multiples rather than singles?

No.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 18, 2015, 06:58:57 AM
I find your lack of faith disturbing...
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 18, 2015, 12:34:26 PM
Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2015, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 10:08:40 PM
Semantics, heathen!  If you were REALLY an engineer, you'd figure out how to make Civ V have more than one unit per hex.  Engineer THAT, my friend!!!

This sounds like the complaint of someone who cannot strategized beyond a doom stack. 8)
You seem to have mistaken Metaldog for the Civ V AI.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: W8taminute on December 18, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
Registering here so that I may stay up to date.  Planning on getting Civ4 when it goes on sale at STEAM and then I can join you guys.


Meanwhile,

Commanding a stack of doom or even several involves just as much strategy as commanding single units that aren't allowed to be in the same hex together.  One deals with death and destruction on a titanic scale while the other deals in small unit tactics.  Both are challenging.   O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 18, 2015, 07:06:08 PM
W8, you can try the same route as Barthheart.  2K was giving Steam codes if you sent them a pic of your Civ box and something else.  Don't remember what.  You should look into it.

@Freyland: Give'em Hell, man!!!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 18, 2015, 08:17:00 PM
I just opened a support ticket on the 2K website and asked if there was a way to transfer fer my original disc copies to Steam. So far all they asked for was if my discs had the GameSpy logo.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 18, 2015, 08:46:57 PM
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but, I know I had to take a pic of the box and receipt? or maybe the activation code? and send it to Support.  They sent me a Steam Key.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 07:40:09 AM
Yep, they just asked me for pictures of my original discs.... looking good so far.....  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 10:02:51 AM
And I'm in!  O0 Now fer some Stacks of DoomTM bashing fun.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: W8taminute on December 19, 2015, 10:07:13 AM
I'll have to give this a shot when I get a chance.  I wonder is simply clicking on 'Install a non-Steam game onto Steam' button within Steam is all you need to do as well?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 10:09:24 AM
You could certainly try that.  If not, the road Barthheart is taking will work quite well. :)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 10:09:43 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 19, 2015, 10:07:13 AM
I'll have to give this a shot when I get a chance.  I wonder is simply clicking on 'Install a non-Steam game onto Steam' button within Steam is all you need to do as well?

I don't think so as it needs to be integrated in with the Steam system to use MP.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 12:24:49 PM
Alright.  So a tentative roster looks like:

Barthheart
jamus34
Millipede
Freyland
Tuna
MetalDog

with W8taminute in the wings.  Sound right?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 12:34:45 PM
Yep, I'm on board
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 19, 2015, 01:58:52 PM
What happens if someone cannot make it during a planned session?  Does the game come to a halt, or can the AI take over for the night?  I can't remember.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 02:06:21 PM
That's something I have to test.  I'll need some volunteers and a time we can all do it.  I suspect that any person can claim a seat at the table just by showing up and signing in to the game.  You can password protect your Civ in mp, but, it would stop anyone from jumping in to the slot.  Ultimately, I am hoping to have a running game at x time and day and whoever shows up gets the spot they jump in to.

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 02:22:32 PM
Hmmm... as a multiplayer noob, there seem to be some things I've never considered. Boy, I think I'd rather miss a turn than have someone else jump into my civ. I'm pretty much open to try anything so I guess we'll see how it works out.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 02:31:40 PM
Man... do I ever suck at IV now..... just got creamed by the AI.....  :buck2:

I can't even remember what I've forgotten... or something like that.

I'll need to practice a bunch before jumping in a game with MD.... unless he starts on the other side of the planet....
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 02:42:23 PM
Looks like there is a game a-brewin' for this evening.  Heard from Barthheart and Tuna.  Once I hear back from Tuna, we can get a better idea of what time it's jumping off.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 02:31:40 PM
Man... do I ever suck at IV now..... just got creamed by the AI.....  :buck2:

I can't even remember what I've forgotten... or something like that.

I'll need to practice a bunch before jumping in a game with MD.... unless he starts on the other side of the planet....

Gee, maybe the two of us can be in a race to see who gets eliminated first. ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 19, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 02:31:40 PM
Man... do I ever suck at IV now..... just got creamed by the AI.....  :buck2:

I can't even remember what I've forgotten... or something like that.

I'll need to practice a bunch before jumping in a game with MD.... unless he starts on the other side of the planet....

Gee, maybe the two of us can be in a race to see who gets eliminated first. ;)

Me first Me First!!!!

MD - Let me know what time your looking to go. I'll try to hop in if at all possible and see how bad I'll get smoked.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: OJsDad on December 19, 2015, 03:49:55 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 09:32:48 PM
I would be thoroughly offended if I were you OJsDad!  That Barthheart is liberally throwing around orders to 'Shut up!'  Regardless of who it is directed at!  Heathen scientist run amok!!!

I live in NW Ohio.  We're used to dealing with low browed Canuks ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 03:50:41 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on December 19, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Quote from: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 03:30:14 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 02:31:40 PM
Man... do I ever suck at IV now..... just got creamed by the AI.....  :buck2:

I can't even remember what I've forgotten... or something like that.

I'll need to practice a bunch before jumping in a game with MD.... unless he starts on the other side of the planet....

Gee, maybe the two of us can be in a race to see who gets eliminated first. ;)

Me first Me First!!!!

MD - Let me know what time your looking to go. I'll try to hop in if at all possible and see how bad I'll get smoked.

Will do.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 04:22:33 PM
Okay, this is important! I've been brushing up on Civ IV basics by playing against the AI and ... "Sitting Bull just converted to Hinduism" and I'm thrilled!... I might also add that I'm breaking a personal rule by posting after consuming, at least, one more beer than needed. :buck2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 04:44:02 PM
Look at you go, you wild man!  Next thing you know, you'll be building Wonders and toasting Cristal!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 19, 2015, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 04:44:02 PM
Look at you go, you wild man!  Next thing you know, you'll be building Wonders and toasting Cristal!

8Pm or 9PM est?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 04:56:25 PM
Regarding Steam friends lists.... I'm roywfw on steam
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 05:08:32 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on December 19, 2015, 03:49:55 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 17, 2015, 09:32:48 PM
I would be thoroughly offended if I were you OJsDad!  That Barthheart is liberally throwing around orders to 'Shut up!'  Regardless of who it is directed at!  Heathen scientist run amok!!!

I live in NW Ohio.  We're used to dealing with low browed Canuks ;)

Who youts callin low brow?!?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 19, 2015, 05:18:26 PM
The reason I inquired about the AI taking over is that I'm a doc, and I worry I will get called away in the middle of a game and screw over the other five or so gents who rearranged their lives to play that night. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 06:54:19 PM
Yes, Freyland, the AI does take over.  Even in midgame if we have to.  That's another thing to test, just to make sure.

@Millipede:  Got your Steam invite.  Reciprocated

@Tuna: Either 8 or 9 EST is fine by me.

If you are for tonight, sound off in here and I will ping you on Steam, too, right now.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 06:56:40 PM
I'm in fer 8.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 06:59:06 PM
I've been told that I'm easy... whatever works for everyone else, works for me
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:01:46 PM
Excellent.  That's four for 8.  Now all we need is jamus34.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 19, 2015, 07:19:29 PM
How long are we playing?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 19, 2015, 07:27:01 PM
I'm up for 8.

Is there a turn timer?

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:30:22 PM
@Freyland:  Until someone has to go

@jamus34:  There is, but, unless you deem it necessary, there really isn't a need.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 07:35:12 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:30:22 PM
...There is, but, unless you deem it necessary, there really isn't a need.

;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 19, 2015, 07:37:04 PM
Are we talking using Steam voice chat?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 07:40:13 PM
As I've mentioned... multiplayer is a new experience for me. Not just Civ but anything. I'm confident I can figure out the basics but any tips/suggestions so that I don't drag the game down would be appreciated. For example, I see that there is a "group" option with the Steam Friends list. Is that something desirable?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:44:00 PM
You can join the GrogHeads Group, Millipede.  Should be able to find it through my Steam profile.  And don't worry about holding things up.  Take your time and be comfortable with the moves you are making before you hit Enter.

@Barthheart:  I hear you, funny guy :P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 19, 2015, 07:49:23 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:44:00 PM
You can join the GrogHeads Group, Millipede.  Should be able to find it through my Steam profile.  And don't worry about holding things up.  Take your time and be comfortable with the moves you are making before you hit Enter.

@Barthheart:  I hear you, funny guy :P

My 16 year old has commandeered my Headset, so no Voice Chat for me till Xmas..
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 19, 2015, 07:53:14 PM
If you want to Steam Voice chat, after you load up your Civ IV game, and go into the Multiplayer Lobby, look for MetalDog's game and then press Shift and Tab to open the Steam in game screen.  You can access your Steam Friends list from there and then ping me.  I will invite you into the chat.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 19, 2015, 07:55:10 PM
1) Any house rules?

2) Are we doing voicechat or just text?

3) PAssword?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 08:29:46 PM
That certainly went well!

After loosing voice chat, I tried to start another game and couldn't get passed the game setup screen. Anyone still want to keep trying?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 19, 2015, 09:45:24 PM
We found out Steam has a 4 person limit, so that kind of sucked!  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 19, 2015, 10:09:50 PM
The noob game is still going strong if slowly
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 19, 2015, 10:57:30 PM
So is the 'Old Grogs Never Die - Stophro creation" Game is going well too!  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 12:18:12 AM
It appears that the port to Steam has broken the mp function in a small way.  You can only game with four players.  That's right.  You heard me.  Four.  So, the fact that there's six of us ready to go and now, only four can play, was a smack in the face!  The solution?  Split into groups of three.  It was Millipede, jamus34, and Freyland in one and Tuna (Washington), Barthheart (Louis Quatorze) and yours truly (Kublai Khan) in the other.

I meant to grab a screen shot.  I'll try to remember next time.  Everyone seems to be holding their own.  Research and civ size are about even.  The fly in the ointment is Alexander.  He just recently vassalled Zara Yaqob and then turned on Pacal.  The Mayan will be the next Vassal for the Greek conqueror.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 20, 2015, 12:25:11 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 12:18:12 AM
It appears that the port to Steam has broken the mp function in a small way.  You can only game with four players.  That's right.  You heard me.  Four.  So, the fact that there's six of us ready to go and now, only four can play, was a smack in the face!  The solution?  Split into groups of three.  It was Millipede, jamus34, and Freyland in one and Tuna (Washington), Barthheart (Louis Quatorze) and yours truly (Kublai Khan) in the other.

I meant to grab a screen shot.  I'll try to remember next time.  Everyone seems to be holding their own.  Research and civ size are about even.  The fly in the ointment is Alexander.  He just recently vassalled Zara Yaqob and then turned on Pacal.  The Mayan will be the next Vassal for the Greek conqueror.

Fun game, fun times, especially the usual Banter to keep things light!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 20, 2015, 12:28:34 AM
Sounds good! You guys got a lot further than we did. We're at 550BC and taking a break until tomorrow night. We didn't even encounter any barbarians for the longest time. Looking forward to your updates.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 20, 2015, 02:30:09 AM
Well of course they got farther-- somebody kept forgetting to hit End Turn (like everybody not named jamis). :buck2:
Actually, I suspect they got farther because they played simultaneous turns. How does that work, MD?  It seems like it would be a rush and careless.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 08:26:49 AM
Simultaneous turns, I thought, is the default setting.  When you fire up the game again, in the Staging Room, in the bottom right hand corner, you will see where you can change the Setting, Victory Conditions, Options and Multiplayer.  The Simultaneous Turns option is in the Multiplayer Tab.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1355.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq717%2Fstophro%2F2015-12-20_00001_zpspnkrcicm.jpg&hash=161d87fc75d75b5662051f566d1e7fb0ce9ecc14) (http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/stophro/media/2015-12-20_00001_zpspnkrcicm.jpg.html)


As an aside, F12 is the button to press to take screenies.  Loaded up my game and tried it and all I get is a screenshot of the Civilopedia.  So, until I can figure out how to take in game screenshots, I will not be able to post any :(
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 20, 2015, 08:53:46 AM
Most of the time was just getting everything situated. Once we were ready to go it was good.
That said, the wildlife is vicious. Nothing like being the meat in a bear/lion sandwich.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
True dat!  Nothing like losing your Scout/designated explorer to the local fauna.  Bears especially are brutal ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 20, 2015, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
True dat!  Nothing like losing your Scout/designated explorer to the local fauna.  Bears especially are brutal ;)

Happened to my first Settler, they heard me cursing and enjoyed!  :-\
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 20, 2015, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: Tuna on December 20, 2015, 09:23:59 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 20, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
True dat!  Nothing like losing your Scout/designated explorer to the local fauna.  Bears especially are brutal ;)

Happened to my first Settler, they heard me cursing and enjoyed!  :-\

Yeah, good times....  ;)  Betcha don't send un-escorted settlers into the wilds anymore eh?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 20, 2015, 11:15:41 AM
 simultaneous turns are the default setting. We changed it to consecutive terms because none of us really knew how simultaneous would work.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 20, 2015, 12:53:28 PM
I had a great scout! All buffed up to Woodsman II and he was smoking through the woods a 2 spaces/turn when he got eaten by leopards! Not as nasty as bears but nasty enough. The upside to that was that I had several turns with no units to move so it was a lot easier to remember to hit the end turn button.  :idiot2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 29, 2015, 11:00:14 PM
Been a few days, but, we were finally able to get everyone in the same place for a couple of hours.  The war against Alexander and his vassal, Zara Yaqob, is at a stand still.  I've taken Mycenae and Eretria but now I am stalled.  I have numbers, but not the right troops.  Gunpowder is now all the rage and my current army is sorely lacking in them.  I have the manufacturing base, but it's taking forEVER to get numbers!  Barthheart has joined the war and took Halicarnassus on my flank.  That may be the opening I need to make headway.  We shall see in the next episode.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on December 30, 2015, 08:25:14 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 29, 2015, 11:00:14 PM
..... Barthheart has joined the war and took Halicarnassus on my flank.  That may be the opening I need  ......

Hmmmmm...... just love being MD's neighbor.....  :buck2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on December 30, 2015, 09:50:19 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 30, 2015, 08:25:14 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 29, 2015, 11:00:14 PM
..... Barthheart has joined the war and took Halicarnassus on my flank.  That may be the opening I need  ......

Hmmmmm...... just love being MD's neighbor.....  :buck2:

At least there is no volcanoes!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 30, 2015, 10:32:50 AM
I'll be back in town tomorrow so hopefully Frey, millipede and myself can continue our game and my impersonation of Poland in WWII
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 30, 2015, 10:54:55 AM
While I would love to maintain our game due to my phenomenal starting placement and resultant success, I am offering Jamus and Millipede the option to restart if they would like; I screwed up when making the game and made it "no tech trading" instead of "no tech brokering" and we are not using simultaneous turns.  I am fine with not using simultaneous turns, but I suspect it does slow the game down, so whatever people want to do.  Grateful for the opportunity to play with these fine gents.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 30, 2015, 12:09:18 PM
Due to the "tech trading" and "simultaneous turn" issue, I'd be happy to restart. My willingness is purely altruistic and, I assure you, it has nothing to do with not having access to either copper or iron . O:-)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on December 30, 2015, 06:46:34 PM
Just my two cents, simultaneous turns is a must and tech trading is to your advantage.  Doesn't seem that way in the beginning, especially since the AI seems to beat you to everything and trades it with everyone but you.  However, once you hit a Tech that noone else has, it's VERY desirable to trade it around.  You can catch up quickly in that manner.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 30, 2015, 10:53:45 PM
While I do have the glorious iron I'm all for restarting due to my position as a pincushion
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on December 31, 2015, 11:20:31 AM
So.... when exactly will this be, Gentlemen?   :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on December 31, 2015, 11:25:09 AM
I'm good with anything from Saturday on...
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on December 31, 2015, 01:27:57 PM
Sat night works for me too.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on January 01, 2016, 12:52:04 AM
Oh crap! Something completely unexpected has come up... I've got to help a family member move. Not exactly sure of the time-frame yet but both Sat. & Sun. seem likely. I'm sure we won't be working into the wee hours but since I'm on the west coast, timing could be tricky. What time were you guys thinking of?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on January 01, 2016, 03:30:21 AM
Whelp, its 330 AM and I sit here at the hospital waiting on a delivery.  Happy New Year to me!  :tickedoff:
I can do Saturday possibly as early as 8pm EST and then till whenever, assuming no further On Call antics.  If we have to start late, that is fine but I seem to remember Jamus being allergic to staying up too late.   :2funny:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on January 01, 2016, 01:09:51 PM
Okay, I'll do my best to be home by 5pm PST but no guarantees... 6pm might be a better guess.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on January 01, 2016, 02:09:53 PM
Whatever you guys need. I'll catch up on my beauty sleep so I'll be ready to go Sat. night!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on January 01, 2016, 05:10:44 PM
Let's just go for 6 pm PST. I don't want Millipede to feel rushed. Plus, you know, tea time.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on January 03, 2016, 09:28:19 AM
You guys make your game last night?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on January 03, 2016, 10:04:16 AM
Yup, started a new once to get simultaneous turns and ripped through almost 200 turns.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on January 03, 2016, 11:50:41 AM
Excellent!  So, what's the story?  How many AI's?  How big is the map?  Any good/rotten things happen to you guys?  What gives???
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on January 03, 2016, 01:01:14 PM
Did a large map with 4 AI's

Turned on simultaneous turns (which burnt Frey unfortunately...those damn slippery French)

I had a major brain-fart..check that...I had brain dysentery and turned off population growth for my 2 largest cities when my happiness was balanced but forgot to turn it back on once I had accumulated more. So I went from being toward the front of the pack to falling behind...and not realizing why for quite a while.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on January 03, 2016, 01:08:11 PM
It's certainly a "pay attention to a million things at the same time," kind of game. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on January 03, 2016, 01:50:50 PM
I over-extended myself in an attempt to isolate part of a continent and the French swiped and established city.  I am now sadly devoted to taking it back at the expense of all else.  Damn French!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on January 03, 2016, 02:56:46 PM
I'm doing OK... My 2nd city was on the ocean I thought, but it turned out to be just a really LARGE lake. I'm scrambling like mad to get a port but one of my loving AI neighbors is trying to cut me off. Should be fun.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on January 12, 2016, 09:17:10 PM
Got about an hour in with Tuna and Barthheart.  The war with Alexander and Zara Yaqob is a DRAIN!  And now all three human players are in it.  Maybe that will help me to finally break the stalemate in front of me and allow me some movement, i.e. take some more cities ;)  Doesn't look promising though.  I am starting to fall way behind in tech.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on January 12, 2016, 09:59:40 PM
After much clashing of axes, the Vikings are now free of French tyranny!  Even razed a city, too. But the Ethiopians are filling a vacuum into which they were never invited.  Well, okay, I bribed then to join, but still!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on January 12, 2016, 10:01:26 PM
Zara Yaqob can expand like a MOTHER!  He'll fall behind in tech, but, once all his many cities start making money, LOOK OUT!  He'll catch up quick!  Unless Ethiopia is a human player in your game.  Then all bets are off. ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on February 12, 2016, 09:43:39 AM
MD, Tuna, any time to continue our game this weekend?  ???

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 12, 2016, 12:09:20 PM
Any time you see me online is probably a good time.  Just ping me when you're ready.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on February 12, 2016, 01:29:23 PM
Tonight I'm Jamming.. maybe tomorrow or Sunday.. I also have a co-worker who has got me in a Civ V mp game, so he's bidding for my time as well.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
OK so I've been the weak link on the game myself, Frey and Millipede have been holding. Some personal stuff and then I've been sick the past week and a half. Hopefully we can get back in and finish it off
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 13, 2016, 01:05:51 PM
Tuna hit me up earlier this morning about ours.  It'll be difficult for me to come back in this one.  I'll give it my best shot.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on February 13, 2016, 01:21:32 PM
I'm back.. are you D&Ding?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 13, 2016, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
OK so I've been the weak link on the game myself, Frey and Millipede have been holding. Some personal stuff and then I've been sick the past week and a half. Hopefully we can get back in and finish it off
Civ game? What civ game? I'm in a civ game?

:P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 13, 2016, 02:15:43 PM
Quote from: Freyland on February 13, 2016, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
OK so I've been the weak link on the game myself, Frey and Millipede have been holding. Some personal stuff and then I've been sick the past week and a half. Hopefully we can get back in and finish it off
Civ game? What civ game? I'm in a civ game?

:P
OK, I'll check in on Steam. I got sucked back into "Banished" (GOG version) and it hasn't got to the boring stage yet so I'm still having fun so just send a Steam msg. when you're ready to go.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 02:21:00 PM
Quote from: Millipede on February 13, 2016, 02:15:43 PM
Quote from: Freyland on February 13, 2016, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
OK so I've been the weak link on the game myself, Frey and Millipede have been holding. Some personal stuff and then I've been sick the past week and a half. Hopefully we can get back in and finish it off
Civ game? What civ game? I'm in a civ game?

:P
OK, I'll check in on Steam. I got sucked back into "Banished" (GOG version) and it hasn't got to the boring stage yet so I'm still having fun so just send a Steam msg. when you're ready to go.
Oh I know exactly how that is....Banished is a game you can lose 4 hours to easily and not even know what the hell happened to the time.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 02:22:41 PM
If you guys are around I should be up for some turns tonight at some point after 9:30. Don't expect much commentary from me though as I sound like Christian Bale from The Dark Knight.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 13, 2016, 04:56:21 PM
Just got done with a long session with Barthheart and Tuna.  We started all at war with Alexander, although I had been at war with him longest.  I kept asking out of the war but Alexander was demanding Eretria and I wasn't going to give it back.  My research was starting to lag and I was dead last in making money.  I finally got Steel researched which brought me the ability to make Cannons.  I immediately upgraded a double handful of old trebuchets I had and went on the offensive.  Five turns later, I had captured Thebes.  Then I saw it.  Even though Alex had war on all his borders, he had pulled together a large stack of 20 or so units.  I was pretty sure I could hold out, but, I needed to fix my economy and start building Universities and some National Wonders.  So, I agreed to give back Thebes, along with Divine Right, and bailed on that war.

That kind of left Barthheart's French in a bind.  Alexander turned that big stack around and assaulted Halicarnassus, taking the city from Louis.  In the meantime, Tuna's Americans were taking cities from Pacal on the other side of the continent from me.  Several turns after I made peace, America and France both agreed to peace with Alexander and his Ethiopian Vassal, Zara Yaqob.  The only war that left ongoing was Washington and the Mayans.

I founded two new cities, Tiflis and the other ones name escapes me at the moment.  Both took advantage of resources, Oil in Tiflis and Fish in the other.  I built enough Universities to build Oxford University and tried to upgrade some of my troops.  And just as we were getting ready to wrap up for the day, Alexander declared war on me.  Sneaky bastard!!!  Now I'm scrambling to find troops to fill his likely target.  I don't have a lot of frontline troops, but, I do have a LOT of Cannons.  Trebuchets, too.  And I'll sacrifice every single one of them to whittle that Stack O'Doom down.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 14, 2016, 04:40:29 PM
The treacherous Greek came across my border and took Samarqand and Eretria from me.  I dealt him enough damage in the assault that he had to stop to heal and regroup.  Barthheart's France jumped in to the war and almost immediately took back Halicarnassus.  Several turns later, Tuna and the Americans took Illinois at the very western edge of The Great's Empire. 

I could do nothing but furiously move obsolete troops to the front lines and pray that France and America's involvement would buy me some time to rearm, then take back what was taken from me.  Alexander's espionage machine had been rolling as well and left him open to all the information I could gather in his lands.  I saw that the vast majority of his troops had moved to counter Louis and Washington, leaving Samarqand and Eretria lightly defended.  A struck!  And recaptured both of my cities!

Barthheart has since bowed out after taking his one city.  While Tuna is facing the wrath of Alexander.  If I can return to status quo antebellum, I will gladly end this war with Alexander and Zara Yaqob.  The next session while tell.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 14, 2016, 05:19:37 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 13, 2016, 02:22:41 PM
If you guys are around I should be up for some turns tonight at some point after 9:30. Don't expect much commentary from me though as I sound like Christian Bale from The Dark Knight.

Uh, I clearly missed this opportunity.  Anything else coming down the pipe?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 14, 2016, 07:33:48 PM
I'm good for this afternoon/evening. Tomorrow and Wed... not so much. Tuesday looks good.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 14, 2016, 09:03:33 PM
I'm a little late here but I'm good for a round tonight.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 15, 2016, 05:26:40 PM
Jamus and I are good for Tuesday, 9pm EST. Work for you, Roy?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 16, 2016, 12:34:50 PM
Sounds like a plan! 9PM eastern tonight... see ya.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Martok on February 18, 2016, 03:10:34 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2016, 04:40:29 PM
The treacherous Greek came across my border and took Samarqand and Eretria from me.  I dealt him enough damage in the assault that he had to stop to heal and regroup.  Barthheart's France jumped in to the war and almost immediately took back Halicarnassus.  Several turns later, Tuna and the Americans took Illinois at the very western edge of The Great's Empire. 

I could do nothing but furiously move obsolete troops to the front lines and pray that France and America's involvement would buy me some time to rearm, then take back what was taken from me.  Alexander's espionage machine had been rolling as well and left him open to all the information I could gather in his lands.  I saw that the vast majority of his troops had moved to counter Louis and Washington, leaving Samarqand and Eretria lightly defended.  A struck!  And recaptured both of my cities!

Barthheart has since bowed out after taking his one city.  While Tuna is facing the wrath of Alexander.  If I can return to status quo antebellum, I will gladly end this war with Alexander and Zara Yaqob.  The next session while tell.
Nice! 

So how did Alex get so big, anyway (especially considering he's played by the AI)?  Was he just lucky enough to be in the right starting position, or was it other factors? 

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 18, 2016, 08:34:57 PM
The short answer is city spam.  The slightly longer answer is a big map and everyone on the same continent seems to spur the ai to prodigious feats of city spam.  Tuna is ginormous, too.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 20, 2016, 12:48:37 PM
Jamus & Frey... I'll be on Steam in the next 1/2 hour or so and I'm good until 2 (5 EDT) this afternoon. This evening is still up in the air... earliest for me would be 9 EDT. Tomorrow looks good all day.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 20, 2016, 01:06:59 PM
I'm actually heading out for most of the day but I'll be around this evening probably around 9ish.

Tomorrow I will be available in the evening from about 8ish on.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 20, 2016, 09:11:16 PM
I'm good for tonight, and tomorrow is probably good, but as per norm I am unable to start before 9 PM EST. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 21, 2016, 11:41:39 AM
My grandson's team won their game yesterday so they play in the final today. As a result, there will be either post game blues or prolonged celebration. In other words, I have no idea when I'll get home this afternoon/evening. I'll check in on Steam as soon as I can.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 21, 2016, 12:36:29 PM
Are you guys getting any gaming done?  I'd be interested to hear where you're at.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 21, 2016, 02:24:02 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 21, 2016, 12:36:29 PM
Are you guys getting any gaming done?  I'd be interested to hear where you're at.

Well life has gotten in the way but we're trying to continue on as much as possible. Currently I am in a ghost war with the Frenchies (I say ghost war because I was asked by an AI and I have nothing near Napoleon so I am at war on paper only) and shortly before ending our last session the Ethiopians (I believe, Frey and Millipede can concur that) decided to declare war on Frey and myself. Oh, and BTW they also have me completely surrounded on land although thankfully not landlocked.

They also have both troop and technical superiority to me.

Yeah...I never really recovered from my gimping my city growth snafu from early on. Need to start grabbing some screenies when i get a chance.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 21, 2016, 02:39:10 PM
Roy, as Jamus already knows, I am not available tonight due to household obligations.  We just need to plan a day next week.

MD, The Ethiopians and the "K" culture, whom are second and first place respectively, have declared war on me.  The Frenchies, my arch enemy, is now the vassal to the "K" guys.  I have enemy power stacks outside of my second best city. I'm sure to lose it in the next turn or two.  :(
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 21, 2016, 04:19:59 PM
Sounds grim.  Any chance of rescue from any of the other players or ai?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 21, 2016, 06:07:01 PM
Pascal, the #3 player, was DOW'd by the "K" fellow as well.  Probably helpful, but for now its the Ethiopian's on my ass, so I'm on my own.  I do not know where Roy or Jamus are located, but I know Jamus is presently in last.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 21, 2016, 07:33:51 PM
The team lost so no post game celebration and I'm at home. I'll check in on Steam as soon as I post this.

Game update -

As mentioned in other posts, Frey (Vikings) has been at war with the French (AI) since early in the game and it has slowed his development. He's got Louis/Napoleon pretty much worn down but now the Ethiopians and the Khmer have DOW'd him. Not good...

Jamus hit the no growth button on either his 1st or 2nd city (maybe both, I'm not sure) and forgot to turn it off for long enough to severely impact his progression and he's never really recovered. He now has the same two (Ethiopians and Khmer) all over him and he's in deep doo!

I (Celts) have been fortunate to avoid any fights and since I don't have any iron or copper, that's a good thing. I just discovered gun powder so things are looking up. I really don't want to see Jamus eliminated and, geographically, I can attack the Khmer but they are amongst the strongest civs and I'm not sure if saving Jamus is worth me being eliminated. We'll see, I'm still flip-flopping.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 22, 2016, 09:04:37 AM
Well, on the bright side I managed to pump enough troops where it's going to be costly for someone to take my cities.

On the downside, my infrastructure is shot all to hell.

I'm not available tonight however I should be free any other evening this week.

Thanks Guys!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 22, 2016, 07:21:55 PM
Sorry to hear it's been difficult.  I am certainly encouraged that you guys keep trying though.  Makes my heart proud ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 23, 2016, 06:44:42 PM
Proposing Wednesday at 9 pm EST.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 23, 2016, 06:47:31 PM
That should work for me.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 23, 2016, 07:27:31 PM
I'll be there.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 24, 2016, 08:08:59 PM
Just an FYI we are getting some bad weather right now (heavy winds / thunderstorms possible) so if I'm not here I've lost power and obviously will be out tonight.

*fingers crossed*
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 25, 2016, 09:19:32 AM
Roy, I hope you are okay.  We missed you last night.
Plan is to try again at 9 pm EST. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 25, 2016, 12:32:36 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I misread Frey's earlier post... I saw 9PM and assumed it was for Tuesday. I had other obligations last night. I'm good for tonight and Friday night while weekend availability is still undetermined.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 25, 2016, 01:20:12 PM
No problem Roy. I'll be around tonight and tomorrow but I'm not available Saturday night.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 26, 2016, 06:16:42 AM
Well we got another session in today however there is no joy in Mudville. After seeing extended but limited action vs Suyruman and holding my own (thanks in no small part to the other parties involved in that war) Zara and his Etheopean deathstack parks itself right outside my border and then declares war. Mind you I had something like plus 5 relations with him.

My first city held on valiantly for 4 turns but ultimately fell. My second City fell much quicker and at the conclusion of last nights  session they are marching on Rome.

It's been fun  but my inadvertent gimping put me too far behind and I fear the Kingdom is lost.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 26, 2016, 06:58:06 AM
Than's a tough way to go, jamus.  Next time, you'll have it together from the start and the bad guys won't be able to get the drop on you.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 26, 2016, 08:45:54 AM
I suspect that I'm next on the Ethiopian hit list. We're neighbors and I've cultivated good relations with them but, as Jamus learned, that doesn't mean a thing. They've started demanding money and tech from me and our relations have deteriorated to "cautious". At least I have the tech for Cavalry and Riflemen and I've taken my funds down to near zero with upgrading some of my existing troops. Oh well...
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 26, 2016, 09:31:00 AM
The Vikings bought their way out of the war with the Ethiopians and Khimer, after losing two large cities to Ethiopia.  Our inability to smash the French via a maritime assault further weakened out cause.  However, as the Eye of Saur-, I mean Ethiopia turn towards others, Odin has guided the Vikings towards fresh fields, which may allow us to rebuild... and revenge.  At the same time, we have discovered the French in the oddest of places....


Its noteworthy that we were all getting pasted yesterday; most games we spend the time chatting it up, but I would say the last 45 minutes of that game we hardly said a word.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 26, 2016, 02:21:59 PM
That happens to us quite a bit.  War has a way of focusing the mind and silencing the tongue.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Martok on February 26, 2016, 02:29:39 PM
Yikes.  How did Ethiopia come to be such a monster in your guys' game? 

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 26, 2016, 02:33:51 PM
Almost every game I have ever had Zara Yaqob on the board, that Ethiopian has spammed cities like nobodys business!  It usually means there is a period where he is behind in tech, but, once he catches up, it's game over, player you!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 26, 2016, 05:16:32 PM
Gents, my wife insists that I work on wallpaper tonight. I might escape at 11 pm est if both of you are still around. 
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 26, 2016, 05:46:05 PM
Okay, I'll check in at ~8PM in the civilized part of the planet... ;D
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Martok on February 26, 2016, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Freyland on February 26, 2016, 05:16:32 PM
Gents, my wife insists that I work on wallpaper tonight. I might escape at 11 pm est if both of you are still around.
She is a cruel mistress. 

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 26, 2016, 07:59:12 PM
Not sure if I'll be around that late. If I am I will gladly oversee the destruction of the Roman empire.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 26, 2016, 10:13:17 PM
There's no way I will be free even by that hour, sadly. Sunday?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 26, 2016, 10:19:57 PM
Sunday is clear for now. I'll do my best to keep it open. What time do you have in mind?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 26, 2016, 10:29:04 PM
Sunday evening is good for me too, as of right now.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 27, 2016, 09:59:03 AM
Still stuck with 9pm EST since I have to get kids to bed. 
So how does that work if one of us gets eliminated?  If Jamus does go down, are Roy and I just going to play ourselves thereafter? Or have two games running?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 27, 2016, 12:32:54 PM
I suppose it's inevitable that any game will eventually start eliminating competitors but, on the other hand, it wouldn't be as enjoyable with just two of us. I wouldn't object to taking everything we've learned and starting over if/when one of us is eliminated. Since Steam allows 4 competitors, maybe we could even find another to join us. What do you think?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 27, 2016, 12:44:41 PM
On one hand, I totally agree with you.  By the same token, that methodology means we will never finish a game-- even if we eliminate all the AI's, eventually one of us will probably get knocked out and then again it will be two.
Having clouded the water with that, for this particular game I would be fine on the restart since Jamus feels he is toast and I certainly am weak (but I am colonizing another continent that no one but the French seem to have found).  If you are at risk of being eliminated, logically if not imminently, then we could restart.  Still need to make a decision on handling the elimination issue though.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 27, 2016, 01:24:41 PM
Absolutely! It makes no sense to keep starting over when one of us gets eliminated but... it looks like the AI empires are going to end up deciding the outcome of our current game. Congratulations, good for the AI but that might detract a bit from our individual game enjoyment  ;).

If we could get one more "Groghead" to join us then we could keep going until it gets down to two live players and they could decide whether to keep going or not.

In the current game, I'm thinking that I've got to attack the Ethiopians... it's just a matter of deciding when and where would be the most effective. Of course, attacking him before he attacks me will always be preferable (duh).
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on February 27, 2016, 01:26:05 PM
The mp games I have played usually see the players taking out the ai's and then basically looking at the strongest player remaining and forfeiting.  I would love to see a game go all the way to the end and players working against one another as much as the ai.  And I'll play your fourth if you'd like.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 27, 2016, 01:26:45 PM
I'm not advocating an immediate restart. Let's keep going for a bit, at least until one of us is eliminated.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 27, 2016, 01:28:22 PM
Sounds good MD. We'll see how the current game develops.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 27, 2016, 01:31:52 PM
Let me add that I am not just rolling over waiting for either Zara or Suryanman to roll over me. I just think things are pretty grim for me right now. I also know I made a lot of mistakes. BtS adds some changes I didn't know about as most of my civ4 exp was with vanilla. Not saying I can rule the world however I should be a lot more competative next time.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 27, 2016, 01:40:49 PM
I'm having a bit of the same problem in that I've been playing the "Legends of Revolution" mod for the last several years and it takes time to relearn the differences between it and vanilla BtS.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 28, 2016, 07:53:05 PM
Alright, I'm a terrible MP partner.  I have to back out again tonight, unless we can start later and run later, as it is a matter of "fish or death".  Basically, the wife has gone on a fish/fish tank kick over the last two weeks (and who knows over how much money), and today we are urgently trying to transfer various large aquariums before expensive fish perish.  I Haven't even made dinner yet for family. Remember that wallpapering that got in the way of us playing last weekend?  That. Never. Happened.  It was all fish, all night.
If you guys can play later and stay later tonight, I should be available.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 28, 2016, 08:41:37 PM
We old retired farts on the west coast are pretty flexible. Might be a little difficult for Jamus though.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 28, 2016, 08:41:52 PM
Hello Frey, unfortunately later is not going to work for me, I'm working on about 4.5 hours of sleep and will be crashing soon. All week should work though
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on February 28, 2016, 09:07:14 PM
Sorry guys. Let's consider Tuesday. Monday is too likely to have carry over from tonight.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on February 28, 2016, 09:15:37 PM
Works for me....I'll make sure I get my beauty sleep tomorrow too so I'll be nice and fresh for Tuesday.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on February 28, 2016, 11:08:44 PM
Tuesday's good for me.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 01, 2016, 11:25:22 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on February 28, 2016, 09:15:37 PM
Works for me....I'll make sure I get my beauty sleep tomorrow too so I'll be nice and fresh for Tuesday.

I am sorry to report that Jamus apparently failed to meet his Beauty Goals.


What time did you eventually rouse yourself? ::)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 01, 2016, 11:36:29 PM
well crap this is embarrassing.

Apologies guys, although I would have been calling it a night not too much past when I nodded off.

If it's any consolation I woke with the worst crick in my neck.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 02, 2016, 12:10:03 AM
I figure that I was somewhat responsible in that I'm taking a heck of a long time to complete my turns. Being at war is time intensive... for me anyway.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 02, 2016, 12:53:04 AM
And that's perfectly fine, Roy, it would be the same for me if I actually owned troops. 

I'm sorry about the crick, Jamus... we did try to wake you but drew the line on applying an air horn.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 02, 2016, 05:16:21 AM
Same here Frey. With almost nothing left my turns process in seconds.

I also don't ever want to think I am rushing you guys.

I also want to add again ( now that I have 2 cups of Java in me) that I'm sorry about the quick fade last night. Next time we go I'll make sure to have a rusty nail handy to slip under my fingernails and keep me awake.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 02, 2016, 11:30:10 AM
I thought rusty nails were a liquid. ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 02, 2016, 11:48:13 AM
Quote from: Millipede on March 02, 2016, 11:30:10 AM
I thought rusty nails were a liquid. ;)
Anyone remember Mork and Mindy?  In that case, you are both right!

Don't worry about it Jamus, at all.  It was actually rather humorous.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 02, 2016, 12:31:25 PM
(Please just tell me I wasn't snoring...)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 02, 2016, 01:15:16 PM
(that was how I first realized you were asleep)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on March 02, 2016, 01:34:15 PM
 :2funny:

Great story guys..... some of MD's move will put anyone to sleep as well....  ;D
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 02, 2016, 07:38:24 PM
Somewhere around here, there is a middle finger smiley.  Until I find it, consider yourself answered :P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 02, 2016, 07:58:08 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 02, 2016, 07:38:24 PM
Somewhere around here, there is a middle finger smiley.  Until I find it, consider yourself answered :P

O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Martok on March 03, 2016, 09:26:03 AM
Quote from: Freyland on March 02, 2016, 01:15:16 PM
(that was how I first realized you were asleep)
Fantastic!  You can't make this stuff up.  :2funny: 

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on March 04, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 01:27:36 PM
Quote from: Hancock on March 04, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?
I'll let you know once I'm competent...
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 04, 2016, 01:37:37 PM
Who said anything about competent? :2funny:

Actually, this is my 1st MP and it doesn't take long to adjust. My problem is that I don't like holding things up and when you're at war, turns take a looooong time. Mechanically, the way it works, actually there are a couple of ways, one of which is chosen in the game set-up. They are: 1)each player plays consecutively and the game notifies you when it's your turn to make your moves for the next turn. 2) all players make their moves simultaneously and the computer executes the turn once all orders are in. We initially started with option 1 and there was a lot of time spent waiting for all civs to get their orders in so we restarted with option 2 and it's a lot smoother... less waiting around.

Anyway, I was hesitant about trying MP and making a fool of myself and I now regret the time lost playing just solo. Jump on in, the waters fine and we'd love to have another maniac. ;)

One other problem is that Steam only accommodates a max of 4 human players for Civ IV Bts and I'm not sure if that's the case for Civ V. Since Civ V requires Steam, perhaps the MP side is optimized for more players.

Ha, I see Jamus beat me to it.   
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 04, 2016, 01:52:54 PM
Quote from: Hancock on March 04, 2016, 01:11:59 PM
Played Sid Meier Civ many years ago.  I just checked out some youtube trailers and plays for BtS....how does MP work and how long did it take you maniacs to ramp up to competent?

We have all different levels of skill, and people always help you that you play with (At least that has been my experience here).Which version were you thinking of playing? There's usually great sales for both IV and V every month.. You should definitely get BTS for IV and both expansions for V if your looking to play.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 04, 2016, 01:53:49 PM
Also IV needs to be the Steam version..there is no longer MP support for versions pre-Steam..
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 04, 2016, 02:14:26 PM
Speaking of demonstrating competency, we need another play-date.  How is Saturday night, guys?  I should be able to push that through the Guardian of the Game Barrier.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 02:25:03 PM
We know who holds the system passwords there

I believe I am around this weekend / Sat and maybe I'll remain conscious for the whole session.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 04, 2016, 04:03:25 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 02:25:03 PM
We know who holds the system passwords there
Yeah, it really has crossed the line from me being a good/helpful husband to excessively restricted.  I would love to know how Jarhead plays as much as he does with a wife, kid and career that should be as least as demanding as mine.  :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 04:30:23 PM
Clones... Gotta be clones.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 04, 2016, 04:36:18 PM
The old retired fart is gonna screw things up... my whole Sat. is booked, by the time I get home you should both be asleep or called into the hospital.  ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 04, 2016, 04:50:00 PM
It's all good Roy.

Right now I feel like I'm Iceland vs the rest of Europe
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 04, 2016, 06:14:52 PM
 :o
:'(
:tickedoff:
:knuppel2:
:smitten:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 04, 2016, 06:52:28 PM
Sunday?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 05, 2016, 02:31:13 AM
I should be good for it.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 05, 2016, 08:51:49 AM
Same here.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 05, 2016, 10:10:18 AM
Sounds good. You guys pick the time.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 05, 2016, 12:23:55 PM
I have some time this morning but I might have to drop everything and run at a moments notice. I have a niece who's about to hatch and she has no parents or grandparents so I'm a bit of a surrogate. I'm heading over to Steam right now while waiting for the phone to ring.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 05, 2016, 01:05:22 PM
I'm still rounding at the hospital, but the idea of gaming at this hour in my household is a fantastic pipedream.
I have to go with 9 EST on Sunday so I can get kids to bed.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 05, 2016, 03:11:27 PM
Unfortunately Frey's the bottleneck on the early side and I am on the late end.

I'll be good for 9
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 05, 2016, 03:36:19 PM
Sounds like a plan.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 05, 2016, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 05, 2016, 03:11:27 PM
Unfortunately Frey's the bottleneck on the early side and I am on the late end.

Ah, there I am again, the bottleneck to happiness. Story of my life.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 05, 2016, 03:59:27 PM
Quote from: Freyland on March 05, 2016, 03:52:12 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 05, 2016, 03:11:27 PM
Unfortunately Frey's the bottleneck on the early side and I am on the late end.

Ah, there I am again, the bottleneck to happiness. Story of my life.

Ahhh...but I've yet to hear you saw wood on the mike.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 07, 2016, 08:57:30 AM
Well I think the consensus is that this game will go down as a major defeat for me and a minor / withdrawal loss for Frey and Millipede.
My exodus rebuilding was discovered, I was severely underteched and I am 1 turn if the pc wants to rush from elimination.
Once it was discovered the top empire is fielding destroyers things look quite grim.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 07, 2016, 09:51:14 AM
I draw some solace that I was able to recover my two cities from Ethiopia, and maybe I could start pushing soon, but I base that last statement on seeing his nearby cities only protected by three units, and even a few longbowmen walking about.  However, there probably are stacks of Dooooooooom just within the FOW, waiting to pounce.  Somebody hold me.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on March 07, 2016, 10:11:06 AM
I may regret this later (from a time management standpoint :-\), but Civ V Complete is ordered and will be in hand by the weekend.  My wife is thrilled...... :tickedoff:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 07, 2016, 01:52:40 PM
Quote from: Hancock on March 07, 2016, 10:11:06 AM
I may regret this later (from a time management standpoint :-\), but Civ V Complete is ordered and will be in hand by the weekend.  My wife is thrilled...... :tickedoff:

It's not like it's War in the Pacific AE!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on March 07, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
Ooooooo... do I smell a MP CiV game about to happen?!?  :D
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 07, 2016, 07:11:29 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 07, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
Ooooooo... do I smell a MP CiV game about to happen?!?  :D

Is MD gonna be mad at me for talking him into Civ V!!  >:D
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 07, 2016, 07:27:01 PM
Y'all enjoy.  I'll catch you when VI comes out and they've come to their senses on one hex/one unit.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 12, 2016, 04:49:25 PM
My settler question.. lol. of course I still couldn't reach the farms!


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1373.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fag371%2Fcmurphy625%2FcivIV_zpsbwxbirng.jpg&hash=6447006b91bbb7343fc82f685bd98a06edb9b7b9) (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/cmurphy625/media/civIV_zpsbwxbirng.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 12, 2016, 05:17:50 PM
The blue circle would have gotten you both corns.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 12, 2016, 06:43:44 PM
Millipede, it was fun getting to meet and play with you today!  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 12, 2016, 07:25:32 PM
Yep... I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next session. Good being able to put personalities behind some of the posts I've been reading for years.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 12, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
Hope we didn't disappoint you too much ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 12, 2016, 09:30:15 PM
Nah... your vocal accompanying of Frank Zappa was entertaining as hell.  :2funny:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 12, 2016, 11:51:46 PM
For those not in game, MD was whispering along with Zappa Live in New York.. "Honey, Honey Honey, Baby Do you want a Man Like Me". Not sure if he knew we could hear him.  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 13, 2016, 12:56:56 AM
Not until somebody said something  :-[
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on March 16, 2016, 07:29:38 AM
Civ 5 tutorials completed and 202 moves into my first single player game...I'm hooked O0.  I blame Tuna for now having nightmares around my city being overrun by screaming Aztec warriors.  And I am officially in the wife's doghouse :tickedoff:....
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on March 16, 2016, 07:44:41 AM
Quote from: Hancock on March 16, 2016, 07:29:38 AM
Civ 5 tutorials completed and 202 moves into my first single player game...I'm hooked O0.  I blame Tuna for now having nightmares around my city being overrun by screaming Aztec warriors.  And I am officially in the wife's doghouse :tickedoff:....

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi727.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww280%2Fjts2%2Ffree-MrBurnsExcellent.gif&hash=80db45f249baaad477ad0660c5eb5083d5d170c0)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 16, 2016, 05:32:22 PM
Quote from: Hancock on March 16, 2016, 07:29:38 AM
Civ 5 tutorials completed and 202 moves into my first single player game...I'm hooked O0.  I blame Tuna for now having nightmares around my city being overrun by screaming Aztec warriors.  And I am officially in the wife's doghouse :tickedoff:....

You're retired now, she needs to lay off!!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 04:00:04 PM
Scheduling situation approaching regarding the 2 mp games I'm in. I'm going on vacation next week (Bondurant School of High Performance Driving.... YESSS!!) so, while I'll have my laptop with me, internet access won't be as reliable as when I'm at home and, most assuredly, won't be sufficient for a gaming session. I'll be home and possibly recuperating on 4/4 and I'm available through Thursday of this week (3/24) although preparations for departure may present roadblocks. Really looking forward to a session in either game. Cheers.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 21, 2016, 04:19:15 PM
No problem.. MD, Rich and I tried to continue the one we had with you that you got killed in, but we couldn't 'move' in it. So we started a new one. But we can always continue the one you're on, the next time we're all available.. no pressure!  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 04:27:11 PM
Great! If we can't get something going this week, I'll let you know when I'm home and functioning again. Do you prefer communication through this forum or through Steam?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 07:18:47 PM
I think I can speak for Tuna and say that if you see either of us on Steam, it is perfectly acceptable to send a Steam message.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 07:29:18 PM
Tuna and I are on Steam right now... join us.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 07:38:34 PM
Apparently Tuna needs this thing called sleep.  And he does it at nine o'clock at night.  What an old man.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 21, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 07:38:34 PM
Apparently Tuna needs this thing called sleep.  And he does it at nine o'clock at night.  What an old man.

We were wondering where MD was earlier!!!.. Jeez for an hour behind, takes awhile to sign on!.. Maybe tomorrow night  O:-)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 21, 2016, 08:26:29 PM
Oh and I just turned Millepede on to World of Warships.. sorry  >:D
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: Tuna on March 21, 2016, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 07:38:34 PM
Apparently Tuna needs this thing called sleep.  And he does it at nine o'clock at night.  What an old man.

We were wondering where MD was earlier!!!.. Jeez for an hour behind, takes awhile to sign on!.. Maybe tomorrow night  O:-)

Not all of us can work from home.  Some of us with jobs, where you go out and work all day, have to stay out late to finish their work. :P
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
Tuna introduced me to WoW and it is a hoot. I'm going to have to practice a bit more (massive understatement) but as it stands, I think I'm more of a CIV guy. Tomorrow night?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 21, 2016, 08:29:19 PM
I'm usually good whenever you see me 'Online' on Steam.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on March 21, 2016, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
Tuna introduced me to WoW and it is a hoot. I'm going to have to practice a bit more (massive understatement) but as it stands, I think I'm more of a CIV guy. Tomorrow night?

Great to speak with you on TS today, Millipede.  If you have a spot on future MP Civ games, let me know...think I'm dangerous enough now not to become extinct too early on.

What is your user name in WOW?  I'll send a connect so if you are on we can div up sometime...maybe even invite Tuna ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 09:47:28 PM
WoW username is roywfw and I'll be happy to give it a shot... just be gentle ;). As mentioned in earlier post, I'm outa here Friday night and won't be back until early April.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 09:53:50 PM
Quote from: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
Tuna introduced me to WoW and it is a hoot. I'm going to have to practice a bit more (massive understatement) but as it stands, I think I'm more of a CIV guy. Tomorrow night?

Just had a schedule revision and tomorrow night isn't going to work... by the time I get home and organized, all you easterners will be off to lullaby land. Wed. and Thurs. are now possibilities though.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 22, 2016, 02:00:22 PM
Quote from: Hancock on March 21, 2016, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: Millipede on March 21, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
Tuna introduced me to WoW and it is a hoot. I'm going to have to practice a bit more (massive understatement) but as it stands, I think I'm more of a CIV guy. Tomorrow night?

Great to speak with you on TS today, Millipede.  If you have a spot on future MP Civ games, let me know...think I'm dangerous enough now not to become extinct too early on.

What is your user name in WOW?  I'll send a connect so if you are on we can div up sometime...maybe even invite Tuna ;)

Now go easy on Millepede with regards to WoW.. He's just starting.. doesn't need you guys dragging him into high Tier matches just yet!  :crazy2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 22, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
I'm hoping after the holiday weekend to get back to civ4. Our old game kind of spun down as I am all but eliminated but looking forward to starting a new one.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Boggit on March 25, 2016, 12:13:32 AM
Has anyone been playing the Dune mod for Civ 4? Sauron's been badgering me to play it MP, but it means reinstalling Civ 4, which I uninstalled when I got Civ 5.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on March 25, 2016, 05:54:26 AM
Silly Boggit, there's your problem!  You never should have uninstalled IV!  ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on March 25, 2016, 07:12:21 AM
Why would you 'uninstall' Civ iV.. 1. It's still a great game! 2. You're making MD sad  :'(.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on March 28, 2016, 09:39:48 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 22, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
I'm hoping after the holiday weekend to get back to civ4. Our old game kind of spun down as I am all but eliminated but looking forward to starting a new one.

Following up on this as I have survived Easter...Frey, Roy; interested in getting another CIV4 game together?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on March 29, 2016, 08:58:25 AM
I am.  Life has been a bit chaotic lately, but I'm sure I can make time!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on March 30, 2016, 09:50:35 AM
Still on vacation in Arizona. Will be home 4/4 and then we can get another game started.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 04, 2016, 11:00:51 AM
Hey, I'm home... cheated death once again. I'll be on Steam later today and available for a session or just to set a date for another session.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on April 04, 2016, 11:13:55 AM
Tuna got me into my first MP Friday evening.  Civ 5 on a small map, but was good to test what I learned from my own single player.  For single, used a standard map with 6 civs and 12 city states at Prince difficulty as Elizabeth.  Lost to Portugal's Maria culture, just before I was about to let loose a major guided missle and air attack on the remainder of Montezuma's empire...his AI attitude was really pissing me off >:(.  Think I  like this game.

PS: I was that close to using atomic missiles and bombs on the SOB....don't ever play him against me, be forewarned ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on April 09, 2016, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Freyland on March 29, 2016, 08:58:25 AM
I am.  Life has been a bit chaotic lately, but I'm sure I can make time!

Hello Frey, if you are around this evening (and if another wants to join) Millipede and I looking to start up another Civ4 game.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 09, 2016, 03:01:20 PM
I'll be on Steam around 9EST and anyone else interested in joining Jamus and I might check in about the same time.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 09, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
Anyone?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 09, 2016, 04:39:07 PM
Absolutely anyone. Well, almost anyone. ;) Really, come on down and I'll try not to embarrass myself. Now we need a fourth... Freyland has rights of first refusal but if he can't make it, it's first come, first served.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 09, 2016, 05:05:26 PM
Hmmm..... might be there .....  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on April 09, 2016, 05:12:01 PM
Too tired :-(
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 09, 2016, 05:13:11 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 09, 2016, 05:05:26 PM
Hmmm..... might be there .....  O0

Excellent.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Freyland on April 09, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on April 09, 2016, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Freyland on March 29, 2016, 08:58:25 AM
I am.  Life has been a bit chaotic lately, but I'm sure I can make time!

Hello Frey, if you are around this evening (and if another wants to join) Millipede and I looking to start up another Civ4 game.
I would really like to play again, but in truth there are home issues going on that at least would make me feel guilty for neglecting, and at most get significantly worse.  I'm sad, since I've enjoyed both of your esteemed company's.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 09, 2016, 06:09:11 PM
Sorry to hear it. Check back in when you get caught up at home.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on April 09, 2016, 06:31:56 PM
Quote from: Freyland on April 09, 2016, 05:55:14 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on April 09, 2016, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Freyland on March 29, 2016, 08:58:25 AM
I am.  Life has been a bit chaotic lately, but I'm sure I can make time!

Hello Frey, if you are around this evening (and if another wants to join) Millipede and I looking to start up another Civ4 game.
I would really like to play again, but in truth there are home issues going on that at least would make me feel guilty for neglecting, and at most get significantly worse.  I'm sad, since I've enjoyed both of your esteemed company's.

Fully understand man; get your house taken care of and let us know when your ready to roll again.

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 09, 2016, 11:19:38 PM
Thank you, gents, for the play time this evening.  Kind of in a funky spot.  Not really enough resources or gold and that's slowing research.  Plus, my Korea is next to Barthheart's Russia and AI Portugal.  Joao just built a city to finish cutting me off.  Going to decide whether I will lay back, research to Gunpowder and then go after Joao, or wait for him to declare on Barth and then choose a side.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 10, 2016, 06:37:51 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 09, 2016, 11:19:38 PM
..... Going to decide whether I will lay back, research to Gunpowder and then go after Joao, or wait for him to declare on Barth and then choose a side.

Hey now... is there really a choice?!?  :knuppel2:

Great game so far gents. Need to get some ships in the water to find the rest of you hiding out beyond our shores......
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 08:30:13 AM
Nah.  You're a pretty good neighbor.  You don't make too much noise and you don't let your dog sh*t in my yard.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on April 10, 2016, 09:34:29 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the time last night. I *think* I'm playing a little better than I had the last MP game.

Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 12:53:05 PM
You're not dead yet.  Or asleep.  So, you're good to go  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 10, 2016, 07:11:12 PM
Got three good hours in with Barthheart and Tuna this afternoon.  Alexander is off the map, taken out between my Mongols and Barthheart's French.  Tuna's Americans are still the monster of the board.  He's got Pacal as a Vassal and Zara Yaqob is his sparring partner.  Barth and me have a Defensive Pact, but I have been building troops to break it.  Zara Yaqob is distracted and I can take his capitol for very little cost.  Declaring on Ethiopia will nullify the Pact.  Oh, and Tuna is now awake to our impending loss to Barthheart's Cultural Victory.  Prolly gonna be a little war before shit is over.  ;)
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 11, 2016, 05:16:21 AM
Ummmmm.... you do know I can read this right?  >:(

And remember I haz nukes!  Lotsa nukes. :knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 06:03:13 AM
Enough to irradiate BOTH countries?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on April 11, 2016, 06:41:13 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 06:03:13 AM
Enough to irradiate BOTH countries?

What happens with the UN Nuclear Proliferation Treaty, any affect on Nukes already built?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 06:25:52 PM
If the Nuke Ban passes, it doesn't destroy any nukes currently made, but, it does not allow the building of more.  Any extant missiles that remain can be used, ban or no, I believe.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 11, 2016, 07:20:10 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 06:25:52 PM
If the Nuke Ban passes, it doesn't destroy any nukes currently made, but, it does not allow the building of more.  Any extant missiles that remain can be used, ban or no, I believe.

That is correct.

And my stockpile should be large enough, already, to bring on Nuclear Winter....  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 07:21:18 PM
Too bad Tuna is old and goes to bed at 6 o'clock.  We could get him online and finish this beastie!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 11, 2016, 07:26:12 PM
I got up at 0430 this morning to catch a flight to the left coast.... I won't be long out of bed myself tonight.....  :buck2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 07:28:41 PM
Yeah, but Tuna won't get this until tomorrow.  He's already been asleep for two and a half hours!
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Tuna on April 11, 2016, 07:50:47 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 07:28:41 PM
Yeah, but Tuna won't get this until tomorrow.  He's already been asleep for two and a half hours!

:knuppel2:
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 11, 2016, 08:18:35 PM
What's wrong, Paps?  Wheel Of Fortune come on late?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Hancock on April 13, 2016, 08:27:21 AM
OK, officially jealous.  Any thoughts around Civ 5 MP?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 13, 2016, 08:39:31 AM
Quote from: Hancock on April 13, 2016, 08:27:21 AM
OK, officially jealous.  Any thoughts around Civ 5 MP?

YES! When? I'm out of town until Friday but YES lets get a game goin!  O0
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Millipede on April 28, 2016, 11:42:18 AM
Apologies to my various competitors... I'm back. Real life unexpectedly and rudely interrupted my gaming time but all is nearly back to my normal routine and I should be good to resume gaming from tomorrow (4/29) on. Maybe even this evening.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: jamus34 on April 28, 2016, 12:00:41 PM
Apologies are never needed when real life gets in the way.

That said I've been playing the hell out of Polaris Sector and Heroes of the Storm lately.

I should be good for tomorrow evening if Barth and MD are around.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 28, 2016, 12:47:53 PM
No can do tomorrow. University Buddy visiting from San Diego and we're taking him out to play darts.... there might be beer involved...  ^-^
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 28, 2016, 07:18:15 PM
You throw darts?  We have to find a place in Columbus that has a dart board.  It's been years, but, I was a fair player at one time.  Cricket?  Points, no points?  301, 501, 701?  Double in, double out?
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: Barthheart on April 28, 2016, 08:32:26 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 28, 2016, 07:18:15 PM
You throw darts?  We have to find a place in Columbus that has a dart board.  It's been years, but, I was a fair player at one time.  Cricket?  Points, no points?  301, 501, 701?  Double in, double out?

Definitely. I have my own darts. I'll bring'em to Origins.
Title: Re: Civilization IV Beyond the Sword mp game
Post by: MetalDog on April 30, 2016, 01:20:12 PM
Just had a looooooong session with Rich and Tuna.  I'm first in every significant category except score.  Even there I am only a few points off the lead.  And Rich just declared war on me. Bastige!!