GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 12:56:44 PM

Title: Anyone tried Sol 0?
Post by: Millipede on December 19, 2015, 12:56:44 PM
First of all, I have no connection to this game other than as a fan. I think I may have found it through an unrelated thread on this forum. Anyway, it's a Mars colonization builder and it's currently in beta version 0.90 (0.92 is to be released in the next week or so). My impression is that it's the work of a single guy and I'm sure he'd appreciate any support. A demo is available on his webpage (http://www.solzerogame.com/) and the beta is also available for a mere $3.99. There are many YouTube vids available including an extensive number of let's play vids at this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx5kLEf_A48&list=PLVPhqSp0skfjPSkfURaJMIAQdxj9fYuhz). Check it out and see what you think.
Title: Re: Anyone tried Sol 0?
Post by: Nefaro on December 19, 2015, 07:49:53 PM
Thanks for the link.  I may have to check that out sometime.  It has a demo too!   :)
Title: Re: Anyone tried Sol 0?
Post by: Huw the Poo on December 19, 2015, 08:16:17 PM
Dunno, it looks very amateurish, although I do appreciate the Linux support.  I'll check it out at some point.
Title: Re: Anyone tried Sol 0?
Post by: Millipede on December 21, 2015, 06:42:40 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 19, 2015, 08:16:17 PM
Dunno, it looks very amateurish, although I do appreciate the Linux support.  I'll check it out at some point.

Hmmm... given that it's a 1 person indy effort, I had just the opposite reaction but then we all have different preferences in our gaming choices. One thing that I hope is corrected in the next version is a bug, at least I think it's a bug, that's linked to the time compression... resource consumption rate increases along with the time compression so that you're penalized for running at faster speeds. In other words, running at the slowest speed is rewarded and some will find that tedious. Also, it's been a while since I've played the demo and I don't know which release version it operates in but, the demo is free and the beta release is almost free at $3.99. It also took me a while to figure out an optimal plan of attack. For example, my initial launch has a small rover, methane extractor, 400Kg of food and 240 liters of water. Subsequent launches will include water, up to the 1000 liter max, supplies, methane extractor and a single forklift on one of the launches. I don't send up an astronaut until the whole map is explored for resources (It's no fun discovering that you've built something on top of what may prove to be your sole water source) and I have at least 30 supplies on the surface. But... that's just my approach and I'm sure there are other successful ways to build a colony and have it survive. Again, give it a try but plan on spending some time to get a reasonable idea about how it works.