GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: davidshq on December 22, 2015, 10:05:09 PM

Title: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: davidshq on December 22, 2015, 10:05:09 PM
Hi All,

Steam is having another one of their big wargame sales. I've curated a list of some of the most interesting games on the list. You can find it here:
http://www.freewargamer.com/2015/12/23/steam-sale-almost-free-games/

No, I'm not a Steam affiliate, so I derive no revenue from any purchases you make through Steam.

Enjoy!

Dave
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: gameleaper on December 22, 2015, 10:06:35 PM
Quote from: davidshq on December 22, 2015, 10:05:09 PM
Hi All,

Steam is having another one of their big wargame sales. I've curated a list of some of the most interesting games on the list. You can find it here:
http://www.freewargamer.com/2015/12/23/steam-sale-almost-free-games/

No, I'm not a Steam affiliate, so I derive no revenue from any purchases you make through Steam.

Enjoy!

Dave

thx Dave
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 22, 2015, 10:26:28 PM
I have literally every game on that list.
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: davidshq on December 22, 2015, 11:02:10 PM
Wow! That is impressive! I have a good percentage of them, but not all. I just picked up a bunch in their Autumn sale (which was new this year I think).
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Thjan on December 23, 2015, 05:54:20 AM
You are missing Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star  (http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/)on that page. It's -85% including all DLCs.
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 23, 2015, 06:02:23 AM
^yep. Got that one too. Hehe
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Anguille on December 23, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
I think that some games are missing from that list, for example:

- Horizon (classic 4x)
- Hegemony games (3)
- Battle Academy collection
- Imperium Romanum (great city-builder)
- Space Empires IV and V
....
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Shelldrake on December 23, 2015, 10:28:26 AM
Quote from: Thjan on December 23, 2015, 05:54:20 AM
You are missing Graviteam Tactics: Operation Star  (http://store.steampowered.com/app/275290/)on that page. It's -85% including all DLCs.

That is a steal for less than $5 Cdn! SOLD.
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: amandachen on December 23, 2015, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: Anguille on December 23, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
- Horizon (classic 4x)
Oh yeah, that eventually turned into a great game.

Now I gotta think of some games to add to the list. Hmmm.

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence (http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470/) (still kinda pricey at 50% off)
Sengoku (http://store.steampowered.com/app/73210/)
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: davidshq on December 26, 2015, 03:43:02 PM
I've been off and about celebrating Christmas and feeling sick :P so it has taken me a little while, but I updated the post with your suggestions and did a few hat tip mentions. :) You can see here, under the heading "Other Recommendations":
http://www.freewargamer.com/2015/12/23/steam-sale-almost-free-games/

AmandaChen - I had considered including Nobunaga's Ambition in my original list but skipped over to it due to price. Your recommendation pushed me over the edge and I've listed it under other recommendations along with HT to you.

Dave
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: jomni on December 26, 2015, 07:45:05 PM
Nobunaga's Ambition is a steal if you know how much Japanese games are going for in the market.
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: GroggyGrognard on December 27, 2015, 11:42:07 PM
Faster Than Light is $3.99.


Groggy
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Anguille on December 30, 2015, 04:17:20 AM
Some other great games:

Armada 2526 Supernova
Grand Ages Rome Gold


They are so cheap, it's almost a sin not to buy them...
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Rayfer on December 30, 2015, 08:32:57 AM
Quote from: Anguille on December 30, 2015, 04:17:20 AM
Some other great games:

Armada 2526 Supernova
Grand Ages Rome Gold


They are so cheap, it's almost a sin not to buy them...

Agreed, Armada with Supernova add-on is a great 4X space game that's not too terribly complex but still has a lot going on. Do the tutorial and you'll be up and running without a steep learning curve.
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Martok on December 30, 2015, 10:16:42 AM
I'll always second any recommendation of Armada 2526 (especially with the Supernova expansion).  Great game. 


On the flip side, Distant Worlds: Universe is currently 50% off during the Steam sale (I'm sure because it's part of the Matrix/Slitherine sale as well).  A significantly steeper learning curve than Armada, but still a hell of a lot of fun. 

Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Sir Slash on December 30, 2015, 11:30:42 AM
Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic for $5. Any takers?
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: airboy on December 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
Armada 2526 Supernova - another game to buy that I don't have time to play.  But I love this genre and at $5 it is hard to pass up.

I have not even read the docs for Distant Worlds Universe yet!
Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: Martok on December 30, 2015, 07:30:21 PM
Quote from: airboy on December 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
Armada 2526 Supernova - another game to buy that I don't have time to play.  But I love this genre and at $5 it is hard to pass up.
A wise decision; I don't think you'll regret it.  O0  One of the easier space 4x titles to get into, yet still pretty deep -- more so than it might appear to be. 



Quote from: airboy on December 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM
I have not even read the docs for Distant Worlds Universe yet!
You've got all of next year...or until DW2 is released -- whichever comes first.  >:D 

Title: Re: Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.
Post by: davidshq on December 30, 2015, 09:19:24 PM
Sweet! Thanks all! I've updated the list with hat tips to appropriate parties. :)

Dave