:tickedoff:
So I pick up a game for the young lad and myself.
Running it requires us to give Steam admin rights - not just the ones it takes anyway when installed, but explicitly every time Steam is launched. Otherwise, the program crashes because it isn't programmed to handle asking for its own privilege escalation, but has to inherit them from Steam (along with allowing everybody else's software to now inherit....)
The company that makes the software regards the crash as solved because the workaround exists.
This software requires a login to the company's server in order to play networked games. They include the option to set up the registration from within the software. However, when you do this, the software rejects the registration because the account does not exist.... I'm wondering if this, too, will be described as correct program function.
As a cherry on top, the key reference is annoying because the functions are alphabetized, not grouped by function, which significantly increases the difficulty of grasping the key commands.
At least it's entertaining once we got it running.
What game, pray tell, is this?
Seriously... I will put it on my list of games to ignore.
Ubisoft game?
Battle Academy 2. Which, after jumping through the hoops, has run perfectly well & the lad is well pleased. But the hoops have really ticked me off.
Well I didn't have that problem of yours. But I am a long time user of that Slitherine multiplayer service and probably have Steam in admin mode ever since.
If you normally operate your computer from the admin account (a bad idea but common), you likely wouldn't notice the issue.
Quote from: James Sterrett on December 28, 2015, 08:54:43 AM
If you normally operate your computer from the admin account (a bad idea but common), you likely wouldn't notice the issue.
Yeah I learned that lesson the hard way. Now the only time I use admin account is if a piece of software is being obstinate in being installed. Might happen once a year.