GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: davidshq on December 31, 2015, 01:30:47 AM

Title: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: davidshq on December 31, 2015, 01:30:47 AM
Hi All,

You may or may not be familiar with W.R. Hutsell's classic DOS strategy games. You can download them free from http://www.hutsellgames.com/

I've attempted to rewrite one of the games (Civil War Strategy) but ran into various issues (e.g., messed up the code horrifically, got a working conversion but then ran into licensing problems with the compiler, etc.). Well, I'm trying again, this time using HTML and JavaScript.

I've attached two images. The first is the map I've been able to generate in JavaScript.

The second is the screenshot from the game as it is from its DOS glory days. It really isn't much, but you'll notice a pretty high level of fidelity with what I've got thus far and I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to carry it through to completion this time. :)

I've just spent the last few hours working on it, its at 500+ lines of code now just for this interface, and felt the need to share...

Have you played the DOS version?

My initial goal is to create an almost exact replica of the original game, but in a contemporary language (original was in QuickBasic with some images as raw memory dumps [e.g., the mountains]) and then to go from there.

Dave

Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: gameleaper on December 31, 2015, 01:37:47 AM
Quote from: davidshq on December 31, 2015, 01:30:47 AM
Hi All,

You may or may not be familiar with W.R. Hutsell's classic DOS strategy games. You can download them free from http://www.hutsellgames.com/

I've attempted to rewrite one of the games (Civil War Strategy) but ran into various issues (e.g., messed up the code horrifically, got a working conversion but then ran into licensing problems with the compiler, etc.). Well, I'm trying again, this time using HTML and JavaScript.

I've attached two images. The first is the map I've been able to generate in JavaScript.

The second is the screenshot from the game as it is from its DOS glory days. It really isn't much, but you'll notice a pretty high level of fidelity with what I've got thus far and I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be able to carry it through to completion this time. :)

I've just spent the last few hours working on it, its at 500+ lines of code now just for this interface, and felt the need to share...

Have you played the DOS version?

My initial goal is to create an almost exact replica of the original game, but in a contemporary language (original was in QuickBasic with some images as raw memory dumps [e.g., the mountains]) and then to go from there.

Dave

clicked http://www.hutsellgames.com/ but I get a strange text dump, thanks for this project though david

its ok works now
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: Senex on December 31, 2015, 06:03:35 PM
I play this game (which I bought from the designer) quite often, using DosBox on both my computer and my tablet.

I appreciate the work you've been putting in over the years.

I recommend it to others.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: davidshq on December 31, 2015, 07:11:41 PM
It is a good one. Simple, beer & pretzels, but fun.

Have you played Wars of Napoleon? In that one he tied the strategic and tactical engines together, I'd like to do the same eventually.
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: WYBaugh on December 31, 2015, 08:59:28 PM
David, you have the code for the games?  What compiler gave you the problem?
Title: Re: Civil War Strategy Game Rewrite.
Post by: davidshq on January 01, 2016, 05:57:00 AM
WYBaugh,

Yes, I have the original source code (QuickBasic 4.5 / PDS 7.1).

I initially attempted converting it to FreeBasic or QB64 several times. Both of which offer support for most QB features. Eventually I succeeded with QB64 but then ran into licensing issues. QB64 has components licensed under the GPL which means the source code has to be included.

I'm now rewriting with HTML/JavaScript b/c I won't run into the same licensing issues, its good practice work, and it can be cross-platform easily.

Dave