GrogHeads Forum

Welcome => Welcome Aboard! => Topic started by: pfig on January 02, 2016, 02:23:28 PM

Title: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: pfig on January 02, 2016, 02:23:28 PM
Hi there!

I'm Pedro, failed ASL player and WW2 gaming fan. As I only run Macs my choices are limited (Close Combat please!), but perhaps that is a good thing, as I want to keep my full time job (I'm a software developer).

My weapons of choice are Combat Mission, Battle Academy, and Order of Battle: Pacific. Dabbler in Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis - I'm afraid Hearts of Iron still eludes me, I keep meaning to set aside some time to learn it, but never seem to.

Outside of computers I live for photography, music, and London.

P.S. I came across Grogheads via Tim Stone from Rock Paper Shotgun's The flare path.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: bob48 on January 02, 2016, 02:31:22 PM
Wotchya.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: Staggerwing on January 02, 2016, 02:35:34 PM
Welcome pfig!

What is this 'Sunny London' place of which you speak?
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: Sir Slash on January 02, 2016, 02:41:38 PM
Hello phig. Welcome to the Grogs and Happy Postings to you. Combat Mission is always a sure winner to start a lively conversation here. Big fan myself-- poor player.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: MetalDog on January 02, 2016, 02:47:27 PM
Welcome, pfig!  Glad you found us!  Enjoy rambling through this weird and wonderful place.  And which HOI are you having trouble with?  Been a while, but, I used to have a goodly grasp on HOI 2.  Would be glad to help if you want.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: pfig on January 02, 2016, 03:17:27 PM
Thank you for the warm welcoming, everyone!

MetalDog, I have HOI3 - thank you for your offer, but I believe my lack of interest is in part due to it being fairly impersonal, as opposed to CK2 or EU4 where your playing generates these wonderful stories about your character and their families. In HOI3 you don't even play as anyone, as far as I can tell. I think I'll park it and have another look when HOI4 comes out.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: MetalDog on January 02, 2016, 03:19:30 PM
If you are hoping HOI 4 will have that storytelling angle, I am going to guess and say, 'No.'  You can always check out the Paradox website.  They usually post Developer's Diaries along with their new games. 
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: bbmike on January 02, 2016, 04:49:28 PM
Welcome to Grogheads!
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: pfig on January 02, 2016, 05:08:57 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 02, 2016, 03:19:30 PM
If you are hoping HOI 4 will have that storytelling angle, I am going to guess and say, 'No.'

Yes, I sort of expect that. I meant that perhaps it'll have something to make me enjoy it regardless!
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: MetalDog on January 02, 2016, 06:58:16 PM
Understood.  If it's any consolation, I loved 2 and couldn't play 3.  I enjoy CK2, but play it rarely.  I like EUIV less so, but still enjoy it occasionally.  Much easier than the prior iterations.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 02, 2016, 06:59:27 PM
Howdy!  And someone make a note that we should tip Tim if we ever make any money :)
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: eyebiter on January 02, 2016, 09:08:40 PM
If you visit the Imperial War Museum, make sure to post the pictures.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: Bison on January 02, 2016, 11:39:11 PM
Howdy.
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 03, 2016, 10:33:06 AM
Hey pfig. Welcome to grog heads. You are not alone on HOI3. Check this post out.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=9317.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=9317.0)
Title: Re: Hello from sunny London, UK
Post by: Martok on January 05, 2016, 07:34:44 AM
Welcome aboard, Pedro!  I'm a fan of Crusader Kings II as well, although I haven't managed to actually play it that much...yet.