GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on January 13, 2016, 07:49:03 PM

Title: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Gusington on January 13, 2016, 07:49:03 PM
John Walker, one of the Rock Paper Scissors crew, just lost his Dad. He wrote about it here:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/13/rip-hugh-walker-1949-2016/#more-340399

Hard not to read that and get emotional.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 14, 2016, 07:27:31 AM
Shit, Gus. I thought you were saying your dad passed away.  :-[

That's a heck of a read.  :'(
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 14, 2016, 07:45:26 AM
Very moving. I hope When the time comes, my children will be able to look back at our lives together and have the same feelings of love, pride and joy. You can really tell that Mr. Walker was an excellent father, the kind of father we should all strive to be.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Oche on January 14, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
May he rest in peace, and God grant Mr. Walker comfort and strength to bear his irreparable loss. I lost my dad recently (7 months ago) and i know how that goes when family is very close as it should be for everyone, that's all that matters, FAMILY, always be close to yours no matter what.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: MengJiao on January 14, 2016, 09:53:09 AM
Quote from: Oche on January 14, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
May he rest in peace, and God grant Mr. Walker comfort and strength to bear his irreparable loss. I lost my dad recently (7 months ago) and i know how that goes when family is very close as it should be for everyone, that's all that matters, FAMILY, always be close to yours no matter what.

  My father also died about 7 months ago.  He was very organized about it and we had funny conversations up until the day he died.  He grew up in Texas during the Depression and after that sort of serious stretch everything seemed to be a matter of pure comic enjoyment -- especially the early days of computing once he got out of doing Cold War stuff (boring! boring! boring!  he said) and went to work on Geology and eventually all kinds of games, killing large animals with big rifles, C++ and so on.
  A few more random facts:  he could repair anything with anything.  It was really quite odd.  I once saw him fix a car with a pocket knife and some barbed wire.  Watching him repair TVs back in the vaccuum tube days was mesmerizing.
  Oh and he was a dance instructor.  While working at Strategic Air Command, he moonlighted as a dance instructor.  So for example he could samba on command (making his own beat etc.).

   He never taught me to Samba, but he taught me to skip, climb trees, enjoy movies, and boxing and football, read Sci -Fi, play all sports reasonably well and fence and hunt and fish and to hike like a geologist.
 



Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Gusington on January 14, 2016, 09:54:43 AM
Sorry if I mslead with the subject line.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Sir Slash on January 14, 2016, 10:30:56 AM
I lost my Father back in 1994 to cancer. There's not a day that goes by that I don't still think about him and my Mother. So much here that he would laugh about. That would be a great sound to hear again.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: RedArgo on January 14, 2016, 10:38:52 AM
The part that hit me was the wanting to call his dad.  It was a long time after my dad passed that I didn't go to call him to tell him about something my kids were doing.  It also makes me makes me think about making sure I'm available to my boys when they want me, doesn't happen as much anymore (they're 14) and I'm sure it will get less before it gets more.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 14, 2016, 11:13:17 AM
This is definitely one of the most depressing threads we've had around here in a long time...so...


BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: mirth on January 14, 2016, 11:22:05 AM
Dad always did love a good pair of bewbies.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 14, 2016, 11:22:46 AM
Even a bad pair of bewbs is better than no pair of bewbs.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 14, 2016, 12:54:51 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 14, 2016, 07:45:26 AM
Very moving. I hope When the time comes, my children will be able to look back at our lives together and have the same feelings of love, pride and joy. You can really tell that Mr. Walker was an excellent father, the kind of father we should all strive to be.

Amen to that. It is after all, pretty much all most of us leave behind, but is the only hope for making the future a better place to be.

But I must admit to being affected by hearing of such things and the increasingly small margin between my own age and the subjects.

But in the interests of lifting spirits ....

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.memecdn.com%2Fbecause-boobs-get-more-likes-that-anything-else-and-propably-get-featured_o_3411787.jpg&hash=b44bba509689d8b496827fe9e3092923638858ec)

Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: sandman2575 on January 14, 2016, 01:03:29 PM
The John Walker piece was definitely moving.

*sigh*

The deaths of the great David Bowie and now the great Alan Rickman are not improving my mood.   :'(

Rickman's performance in Die Hard was just ridiculously awesome... I honestly don't think there has been a film villain to top him. I laugh just thinking about lines like, "Asian Dawn?" "I read about them in Time Magazine..."

Yeah, so anyway... boobs are good.   O0
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 14, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
I'm going to have to have an Alan Rickman movie marathon this weekend. I'll have to gently break it to my daughter, because she's a HUGE fan of the Harry Potter films but absolutely LOVES Rickman's Snape character. She's going to be even more bummed than I am.  :-\
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: sandman2575 on January 14, 2016, 01:35:33 PM
To me, Rickman will always be the nefarious Hans Gruber first and foremost...

"After all your posturing, after all your little speeches, you're nothing but a common thief."

"I am an extraordinary thief, Mrs. McLane, and since I'm moving on to kidnapping, you should show a little more respect!"

;)
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: magnus on January 14, 2016, 04:40:02 PM
" Shoot the glass", with the exasperated look on his face.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: undercovergeek on January 14, 2016, 04:51:07 PM
theres a guy in the UK called John Sessions who does a great impression of him after seeing his nephews take the piss out of Alan and ask him why he always plays baddies
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: undercovergeek on January 14, 2016, 04:51:53 PM
here it is

Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Gusington on January 14, 2016, 06:32:01 PM
Rickman will always be Hans Gruber to me too.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: mirth on January 14, 2016, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 14, 2016, 04:51:53 PM
here it is



That's brilliant!
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: MetalDog on January 14, 2016, 07:44:16 PM
That's an outstanding impression of Rickman!
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: sandman2575 on January 14, 2016, 07:50:14 PM
It's damn good.

Benedict Cumberbatch does a pretty mean Alan Rickman as well -- not quite as perfect as the guy above, but still pretty funny (around 2:10 mark) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM)



Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Sir Slash on January 14, 2016, 11:42:42 PM
I really liked him in the Harry Potter movies. I was never sure whether he was a good guy or bad.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: MetalDog on January 14, 2016, 11:45:40 PM
I did, too.  My eldest assures me the answer is a bit complicated in the books.  But he's most assuredly not the villain he seems to be.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: CptHowdy on January 15, 2016, 03:08:46 AM
snape was in love with harry's mom. he detested harry's father because him and his buddies picked on snape. he sent his spirit creature to help harry several times as well. this was revealed in the book where snape was killed by voldemorts pet snake.
dumbledore also had snape kill him so draco wouldnt have that on his conscious. draco was supposed to get the kill and become part of voldemorts army, the death eaters i think they were called.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: undercovergeek on January 15, 2016, 05:23:36 AM
He plays a great role long long before ghost was ever made about a guy who dies but sticks around the home - very moving
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: mirth on January 15, 2016, 05:29:45 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 14, 2016, 07:50:14 PM
It's damn good.

Benedict Cumberbatch does a pretty mean Alan Rickman as well -- not quite as perfect as the guy above, but still pretty funny (around 2:10 mark) --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbN3Pya_AM)





Ha! That's pretty good too.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dad
Post by: Dimitris on January 16, 2016, 02:35:49 AM
If you would like to see Rickman really chew the scenery, watch Dogma (by Kevin Smith). Just incredible.