GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: AchillesLastStand on January 16, 2016, 02:04:19 AM

Title: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: AchillesLastStand on January 16, 2016, 02:04:19 AM
Picked this up after getting a discount coupon from GMG. It, so far has a Overwhelmingly Positive{95%) rating on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/367500/
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Yskonyn on January 16, 2016, 02:53:38 AM
I have this on Xbox360 and like it very much.
It's not a traditional RPG, but a mix of open world , yet linear story with monster hunter gameplay elements. The combat  system is very cool (you can mount big monsters!), but the companion system makes for a very fluctuating difficulty, depending on the Pawn abilities vs the enemies.
Overall highly recommended! And its absolutely huge with easily over 100 hours of gameplay.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Grimnirsson on January 16, 2016, 05:34:45 AM
What Ys said, one of the most innovative RPGs out there due to the combat system and the Pawns who have rather good AI (your personal Pawn can be hired by friends and help them out - very cool).  O0
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: jamus34 on January 16, 2016, 07:09:13 AM
I have the original on PS3 (pre Dark Arisen) but never really got all that far.

I'll probably grab it once the price point becomes palatable (to me). IF for anything to continue to support the porting of older console titles to PC.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Gusington on January 16, 2016, 09:37:19 AM
I've been checking this out too...it's got really good reviews for a port.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: sandman2575 on January 17, 2016, 12:44:28 AM
Man, I suck. I already broke my 2016 resolution not to buy any games I'm not 100% certain I want to pour many hours into... by buying Dragon's Dogma.  It's January 17 for ffs!  I lasted 17 whole days.   :(

Got sucked in by (1) the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam (2) watching some pretty convincing YouTube reviews (3) the dang price, which is half what you'd play for a AAA title.

Have only played a little over an hour. Can't say the game makes a strong first impression. Graphically, it definitely shows its age, looking more TES Oblivion quality than Skyrim (to say nothing of Witcher 3) -- but then, it's from 2012. Still, it's graphically good enough if the gameplay is as outstanding as everyone claims.

Will have to spend a little more time on this tomorrow.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Grimnirsson on January 17, 2016, 06:18:59 AM
What makes DD outstanding is the gorgeous combat and the AI system, you'll get into tense situations with your party fighting very interesting creatures. And what simply works is the Pawn system, the AI is great and every Pawn has his very own personality and style in combat. You create your own Pawn and can fully customize her/him, you can sit down at a table with the Pawn and talk with him/her and you can tell him/her how to approach certain situations and the Pawn will as well learn from your actions and orders while traveling with you. This Pawn can be hired by others and when coming back from his own adventures depending how good his support was the player who hired the Pawn will send him back with some gifts for you and you always get Rift Crystals, often a lot of them which you can use in your game. They will remember their actions in other worlds, allowing them to gain knowledge on how to kill foes and offer insight into completing quests you have not yet undertaken, which is giving you some valuable information.
And you will come across other Pawns in the world and can hire them as well, up to two can join your party so you always have your Main Pawn and two hired party members which you can keep for longer if you like them or dismiss and hire someone else. If you have friends who play this game then it's great fun to always have your friend's Pawn in your Party and tell your friend how the Pawn behaves and acts in different situations.  :)
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2016, 07:37:47 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on January 17, 2016, 12:44:28 AM
Man, I suck. I already broke my 2016 resolution not to buy any games I'm not 100% certain I want to pour many hours into... by buying Dragon's Dogma.  It's January 17 for ffs!  I lasted 17 whole days.   :(

Got sucked in by (1) the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam (2) watching some pretty convincing YouTube reviews (3) the dang price, which is half what you'd play for a AAA title.

Have only played a little over an hour. Can't say the game makes a strong first impression. Graphically, it definitely shows its age, looking more TES Oblivion quality than Skyrim (to say nothing of Witcher 3) -- but then, it's from 2012. Still, it's graphically good enough if the gameplay is as outstanding as everyone claims.

Will have to spend a little more time on this tomorrow.

In my experience, all RPGs start off slow and underwhelming, they shine a few hours in when you are deep on a quest, have acquired some nice armor and weapons and leveled up a bit. I'm sure this will be the same. Hang in there and give it a real shot.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: sandman2575 on January 17, 2016, 08:31:09 AM
Appreciate the encouragement, fellas. All the convincing reviews I've seen confirm what JH says about 'just stick with it and you'll see why it's so great'.  With all Steam purchases these days I have the '2 Hour Point of No Return' fear in the back of my mind, but seems clear I'll need to put in more time than that to appreciate DD. And at $30 it's not like the risk is too great anyway  8)

Besides, I need something to scratch the questing itch since getting my fill of Fallout 4 -- a game I enjoyed but which ultimately felt unsatisfying. Maybe DLC will eventually fix it...
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: Yskonyn on January 18, 2016, 05:01:37 AM
Well, I do want to add that DD is very 'Japanese' in some of its approach, so in all fairness it might not be for everyone.
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: FlickJax on January 18, 2016, 06:01:41 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 18, 2016, 05:01:37 AM
Well, I do want to add that DD is very 'Japanese' in some of its approach, so in all fairness it might not be for everyone.

too late bought it
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: FarAway Sooner on January 18, 2016, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 18, 2016, 05:01:37 AM
Well, I do want to add that DD is very 'Japanese' in some of its approach, so in all fairness it might not be for everyone.

Huge-breasted 14-year old heroines with big eyes wielding over-sized swords?
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: jamus34 on January 18, 2016, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: Yskonyn on January 18, 2016, 05:01:37 AM
Well, I do want to add that DD is very 'Japanese' in some of its approach, so in all fairness it might not be for everyone.

I actually got the opposite feel from it that out of most recent jrpgs it has the most western feel to me (almost da:o type feel)

But that could just be me
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: sandman2575 on January 18, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Yeah, have to say (as someone who *really* dislikes anime and all things Japanese pop culture) I'm finding the 'japanese' elements in this 'jrpg' pretty muted and easy to ignore. Which is a good thing.

So far the only things that strike me as Japanese in DD:DA is the style of some of the overly-theatrical cutscenes -- the dragon scenes, while impressive, have a bit of a Godzilla vibe to them. Also the title screen music...
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: W8taminute on January 19, 2016, 09:58:57 AM
I may have to revive my XBOX360 from it's slumber and play this one again for old times sake.  As everyone has mentioned who have played the game before this one is a good game. 
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 19, 2016, 01:11:15 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 19, 2016, 09:58:57 AM
万歳

I see what you did there...
Title: Re: Dragons Dogma anyone?
Post by: W8taminute on January 19, 2016, 06:18:22 PM
^tee hee!