GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Zulu1966 on January 19, 2016, 03:34:01 PM

Title: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 19, 2016, 03:34:01 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/603/details/Sengoku.Jidai:.Shadow.of.the.Shogun.


Seems like based on pike and shot.
Seems like an expansion of a Mod from someone who resides here ?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 03:38:12 PM
The unit cards are awesome.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on January 19, 2016, 03:44:19 PM
It says mac....otherwise it would be an instant buy
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 19, 2016, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: Anguille on January 19, 2016, 03:44:19 PM
It says mac....otherwise it would be an instant buy

Oh :o ... am hoping that's just a misprint. Instant buy otherwise.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on January 19, 2016, 04:19:38 PM
As long as someone isnt yelling SHAMEFUR DISPRAY at me im all for it
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on January 19, 2016, 04:34:09 PM
On The slitherine page it says PC....they made error on the matrix page.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: magnus on January 19, 2016, 04:37:54 PM
Yes, Nagashino here we come.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on January 19, 2016, 04:38:38 PM
Is that the Pike and Shot engine?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on January 19, 2016, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 19, 2016, 04:38:38 PM
Is that the Pike and Shot engine?

Yes.

The way the campaign feature is described, this also looks like it has the dynamic campaign layer too.  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2016, 05:55:05 PM
Sweet...where's Jomni?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: magnus on January 19, 2016, 06:03:45 PM
He's busy trying to get Ney's head out of his butt.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2016, 06:16:19 PM
Eek
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 19, 2016, 06:57:18 PM
Hi guys.  Guess who's part of the development team?

It's my Pike and Shot mod on steroids. It's a stand alone release as there are changes to the code and reworked UI, 3D assets, etc. not compatible with original P&S.

One thing that we introduced here which is not in P&S are generals in the battlefield.  A lot of people have been asking for this and it is quite relevant in Asian warfare.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Toonces on January 19, 2016, 07:53:01 PM
^ Well look at you, all grown up!  Our very own Jomni the game developer!   O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Sir Slash on January 19, 2016, 07:55:05 PM
Can I have an autograph? Or just a free game?  :D
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 19, 2016, 08:16:31 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2016, 07:53:01 PM
^ Well look at you, all grown up!  Our very own Jomni the game developer!   O0

Well just to be clear, I am not alone.  Richard of Byzantine helped in coding the challenging stuff. We deliberated on rules changes and what are to be implemented. We had another artist to help with artwork (3D and UI). I did the game design, putting the bits and pieces together.  I got all the support to realise my vision.

It will still be branded as a Byzantine game since the code and base game is theirs.

Someone mentioned in the P&S thread that Slitherine will notice my mod and turn it into an expansion (or full game).  So he's right after all.

As for the state of the game during beta, it is pretty much playable. I am just left with doing a few more stand-alone historical scenarios. There's already a lot of gaming to be had in the campaigns and skirmish.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Toonces on January 19, 2016, 08:38:27 PM
Seriously, though, that's extremely cool to see your mod get such acknowledgement.  It must be very gratifying.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 19, 2016, 08:41:16 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2016, 08:38:27 PM
Seriously, though, that's extremely cool to see your mod get such acknowledgement.  It must be very gratifying.

Yes it is. And they don't have a lot of Asian themed games save for some WW2 PTO.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2016, 10:01:21 PM
^Was it your idea to include Korea and China in the same game? Because that is an epic idea.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on January 19, 2016, 10:02:06 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 19, 2016, 06:57:18 PM
Hi guys.  Guess who's part of the development team?

It's my Pike and Shot mod on steroids. It's a stand alone release as there are changes to the code and reworked UI, 3D assets, etc. not compatible with original P&S.

One thing that we introduced here which is not in P&S are generals in the battlefield.  A lot of people have been asking for this and it is quite relevant in Asian warfare.


I suspected you were up to something after going silent on the mod.  I think others here did too.

Looking forward to checking it out.  And congrats on the biz!   O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: -budd- on January 19, 2016, 11:48:19 PM
congrats, first thing i thought of when i saw the announcement was either Jomni is involved or someone ripped him off. Good luck with the release.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on January 20, 2016, 12:34:43 AM
This is very cool indeed! Congrats...a gamer's dream
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Drakken on January 20, 2016, 12:58:23 AM
Instant buy on release for me.  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 20, 2016, 02:33:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys. Just chime in when you have questions on the game.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on January 20, 2016, 06:14:14 AM
Cool, jomni! That makes it an instant buy for me as well.  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: steve58 on January 20, 2016, 09:25:52 AM
Congrats Jomni, very cool opportunity for you.  I've added this to my wishlist.

p.s.  Matrixgames/Slitherine are looking for Beta Testers for Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun

http://slitherine.com/news/item1217
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Surtur on January 20, 2016, 10:14:06 AM
I signed up!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JasonPratt on January 20, 2016, 11:41:11 AM
All hail Jomni! All hail Jomni! Or the Japanese equivalent thereof!  :smitten:
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on January 20, 2016, 03:21:13 PM
Well done Jomni! You made a fantastic mod, and I'm glad you've been recognised for your quality work. :) O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Zulu1966 on January 20, 2016, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 20, 2016, 02:33:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys. Just chime in when you have questions on the game.

One immediate question... and the fact you have them in the game is awesome...what effects do the leaders have?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 20, 2016, 06:45:27 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on January 20, 2016, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 20, 2016, 02:33:09 AM
Thanks for the support guys. Just chime in when you have questions on the game.

One immediate question... and the fact you have them in the game is awesome...what effects do the leaders have?

Leaders are embedded in the units.  But you can move them around to other units within their command. If they are not the Commander in Chief, not all units of a side are within their command as they are under other generals.
Leaders have stats:  Command Range and Duelling.
1) They "coordinate" the units under their command.  Units out of command range lose the free 45 degree turn.  You will get to know the significance of this once you play a lot of Pike and Shot.  This means it takes the unit longer to position themselves.  Command range is based on their stats.
2) They "inspire" the unit they are in and provide close combat bonuses.  Though they don't exert command to other subordinate units when fighting.  They can also die.
3) They rally troops. Routed units with embedded generals will have a better chance of rallying.
4) They may seek out other generals and fight in duels.  This is where the duelling skill kicks in.  Some generals are better fighters than others.

Lost generals will force a morale check on the subordinate units nearby.

In the dynamic campaign, the general's position can change,  they can get promoted to become and army's C-in-C or be removed from their post if they lose rank when losing a battle (this is automatic).
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Drakken on January 20, 2016, 08:32:05 PM
Which clans are playable in the campaign?

Can vassals/retainers lose command checks and "refuse" to obey? Can they rebel/turncoat/panic?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 20, 2016, 09:29:13 PM
The sandbox campaign is unfortunately designed around the limits of the Pike and Shot Campaigns engine. So only two main factions, chosen my the player or at random,  battle for supremacy. But we've added a number of random neutral clans to the map.  You can spend funds recruiting these clans instead of raising armies. But they don't automatically join your side all the time. When they join as vassal, you get their province and army. They are still a distinct clan. You can integrate them to your army but troops will still be distinct and identifiable.  They can switch sides if the AI succeeds through the same gifting system. The chance of switching sides is higher if the gifting side holds the clans home province.  When they switch, the armies on the field are disbanded and a new one is raised in their home province joining the appropriate side.  While neutral, these clans cannot be invaded.

This is only for sandbox.  Historical campaigns don't have this feature but have other special rules.

Japanese clans are the main ones in central Japan. Oda, Tokugawa, Toyotomi, Hojo, Uesugi, Takeda, Asakura, Imagawa, Ikko Ikki, Generic Red, Generic Blue. We did not include those in the East and West Japan (Mouri, Date, Shimazu)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 20, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
Are Korean and Chinese factions also divided into clans?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 20, 2016, 10:26:48 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2016, 10:18:33 PM
Are Korean and Chinese factions also divided into clans?

No they are unified countries (Ming Dynasty and Joseon Dynasty). In the Korean Camapign, japan is already unified by the Toyoyomi clan. So they are merely referred to as Japan.

But you have Chinese rebels as a separate faction.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 09:32:38 AM
Either way I am really excited to see a game modeling the conflict between the three in the 16th century...I've been looking for something like that for a while. I think Civ V has a scenario covering it.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on January 21, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
You will be pleased to find out that those three countries have different doctrines and must employ different tactics.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 06:22:09 PM
Fantastic
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Grimnirsson on January 22, 2016, 01:30:42 PM
Congrats Jomni, very cool!  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on March 02, 2016, 09:10:52 PM
For those who are curious on the progress, beta is ongoing with numerous fixes implemented and I'm still working on doing the last bits of the planned scenarios.  Could have done better but I have a day job. 

I have no news regarding release date.


Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on March 03, 2016, 01:13:07 AM
Quote from: jomni on March 02, 2016, 09:10:52 PM
For those who are curious on the progress, beta is ongoing with numerous fixes implemented and I'm still working on doing the last bits of the planned scenarios.  Could have done better but I have a day job. 

I have no news regarding release date.

Progress is progress.  Take your time & do what's needed.  We'll be here!



Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: FC on March 03, 2016, 09:50:25 AM
That's looking pretty sweet. Keep up the good work.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: panzerde on March 03, 2016, 10:43:39 PM
I like how the leaders are going to work. Reminds me a good bit of Great Battles of Ancient History. Here's hoping they go back and add them to Pike & Shot, because they aren't just a big deal to Asian warfare!

Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: PAK on March 04, 2016, 12:30:40 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 20, 2016, 11:41:11 AM
All hail Jomni! All hail Jomni! Or the Japanese equivalent thereof!  :smitten:

Here You are
すべてがjojmni雹

Great news! Congatulations Jomni. First day - Instabuy!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Strela on March 04, 2016, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 02, 2016, 09:10:52 PM
For those who are curious on the progress, beta is ongoing with numerous fixes implemented and I'm still working on doing the last bits of the planned scenarios.  Could have done better but I have a day job. 

I have no news regarding release date.

I realised I had a number of things in common with Jomni;

1) Love the Samurai era
2) Live in Singapore
3) Design games (Tiller's Panzer Battles) in my spare time

There is no better feeling than publishing your baby and nothing more fearful than waiting for the forums to pan or praise your work of art! From what I've heard you'll be on the praise side of it all.

Congrats again, it's a big achievement getting something professionally published.

David
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun
Post by: steve58 on April 08, 2016, 01:30:49 PM
Release date is May 19th, congrats Jomni!


http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4060041

Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 08, 2016, 02:02:31 PM
Really exciting news! Congrats Jomni! When you started modding Pike & Shot, did you ever think it would lead to having a game of your own published??? When are you going to quit your day job and become a full time game developer?  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 08, 2016, 02:06:29 PM
Looks great.   :smitten:


I may be drawn & quartered by a few here for saying it, but I've always found the Sengoku period more interesting than much of that covered in Pike & Shot.   

May is gonna be a busy game buying month.  :o
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on April 08, 2016, 02:28:07 PM
This is awesome!

Instant Buy!  :coolsmiley:
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: spelk on April 08, 2016, 03:57:22 PM
Impressed to see this project come to fruition with one of our own at the helm. Well done Jomni!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 08, 2016, 05:52:30 PM
Nice!! Buying on Day 1!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 08, 2016, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 08, 2016, 02:02:31 PM
Really exciting news! Congrats Jomni! When you started modding Pike & Shot, did you ever think it would lead to having a game of your own published??? When are you going to quit your day job and become a full time game developer?  O0

No. This was a surprise and things happened quickly.  Thanks for the support.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: -budd- on April 08, 2016, 10:30:37 PM
The game looks great, especially the map. Great Job...here's a link to the thread at  Matrix with a couple screenshots...you got to see the map...nice.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4060041
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 09, 2016, 05:04:28 AM
I really wanted to do a video for this game, but im pretty sure the NDA i signed on the beta signup stops me :(
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 09, 2016, 11:49:09 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on April 09, 2016, 05:04:28 AM
I really wanted to do a video for this game, but im pretty sure the NDA i signed on the beta signup stops me :(

Ask them to let you know when you can do one.  They'll be more than happy to give you the go-ahead at some point nearing release, I'd imagine.  O0 


I'd like to watch it.


They've always notified testers when the NDA has been lifted, in all the Betas I've participated in, but you may be able to get special permissions in some cases beforehand, regarding video previews.  Doesn't hurt to ask.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 09, 2016, 01:20:34 PM
I'd like to see that video too, the campaign in motion, etc.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: solops on April 09, 2016, 06:23:59 PM
I just got my anniversary discount coupon from Matrix...and it expires 7 or 8 days before the new Samurai game comes out...............rat potty.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 11, 2016, 08:14:48 AM
Welp i got contacted by Slitherine and they offered me a steam early access key and were pretty happy with my channel content!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 11, 2016, 08:24:10 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on April 11, 2016, 08:14:48 AM
Welp i got contacted by Slitherine and they offered me a steam early access key and were pretty happy with my channel content!

O0


Now.... get to work!  (https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi139.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq303%2FEarthAngels_bucket%2Fwhip.gif&hash=5d01257690a42e3fa2451967812abb8f7948b18a)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 15, 2016, 07:10:28 PM
Das just posted his first preview vid:




This looks to have more content than I expected.  WANT NOW! 

O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 16, 2016, 06:56:20 PM
Part 2
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2016, 12:49:35 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2016, 08:38:27 PM
Seriously, though, that's extremely cool to see your mod get such acknowledgement.  It must be very gratifying.
Agreed - and looks great.  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2016, 01:50:32 AM
Just watched those videos.

Superb work Jomni and I love the look of the game. First day buy from me - unless Matrix pricing policy goes mental...it has done in the past don't you know!!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2016, 01:53:19 AM
I do have one question however...

It seemed odd to me that the Japanese evaded battle on the last turn by moving their troops out and then immediately, next turn, moved back in to attack.

What was the reason for that? I didn't see if the force that moved out and the force that moved in were different in composition/experience...I just saw one moving out one turn and another (possibly the same one) moving in.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 17, 2016, 01:56:20 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2016, 01:53:19 AM
I do have one question however...

It seemed odd to me that the Japanese evaded battle on the last turn by moving their troops out and then immediately, next turn, moved back in to attack.

What was the reason for that? I didn't see if the force that moved out and the force that moved in were different in composition/experience...I just saw one moving out one turn and another (possibly the same one) moving in.

It's probably a different stack.  Also, once the Koreans began a siege, they may have taken some losses. Not explained in the vid but you can see some text on the side. Maybe the AI felt the odds are better after the attrition.

Edit:  Confirmed it is a different stack based on reading the message box at the side.  The Japanese 5th army retreated out of Hanyang.  The following turn, the Japanese 1st army attacked.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2016, 02:23:40 AM
cool. thanks.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on April 17, 2016, 06:55:09 AM
This looks fantastic...

Made me start a new Takeda 3 campaign
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 18, 2016, 06:38:25 AM
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 18, 2016, 07:22:20 AM
Thanks.  You picked an interesting scenario but of course, as you have said, that scenario is not good for video as it takes quite long to resolve and it's all about staying put and shooting at the attackers.

You need a history lesson.  :knuppel2:
Oda Nobunaga is not the leader of the Tokugawa clan.
And that scenario is not the famous battle of Nagashino that features firearms vs cavalry.  That is the siege of Nagashino Castle that happened prior to the battle.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on April 18, 2016, 07:41:36 AM
Nice video!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 18, 2016, 08:06:26 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2016, 07:22:20 AM
Thanks.  You picked an interesting scenario but of course, as you have said, that scenario is not good for video as it takes quite long to resolve and it's all about staying put and shooting at the attackers.

You need a history lesson.  :knuppel2:
Oda Nobunaga is not the leader of the Tokugawa clan.
And that scenario is not the famous battle of Nagashino that features firearms vs cavalry.  That is the siege of Nagashino Castle that happened prior to the battle.

Yeah I know I did a quick google search when I was reading through some stuff for my second video. When I was doing a previous recording I was begging for a decent book so I could get my stuff right xD.

The reason why I picked it was because in the email I got for the steam key I was told that scenario showed a large amount of what the battles offer
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 18, 2016, 08:15:34 AM
Yes because it used the Japanese castle objects.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 18, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
Watched some of Hof's vids and have a question.

The music in the background was of a more happy nature, which was a bit odd to my ears, with a bloody battle raging.   ;D   I normally turn music off, but not so in historically-based games with appropriate cultural music, because that's about the only time music adds to a game's immersion for me.

Anway.. to the question...

Does this have some of the awesome Japanese drum & percussion ensemble music in it?  The Kumi-daiko or shime-daiko stuff?  Really enjoyed the few that have been in other games.  I'd happily run just that in the background of any wargame!   Because it's amazing. O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 18, 2016, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 18, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
Watched some of Hof's vids and have a question.

The music in the background was of a more happy nature, which was a bit odd to my ears, with a bloody battle raging.   ;D   I normally turn music off, but not so in historically-based games with appropriate cultural music, because that's about the only time music adds to a game's immersion for me.

Anway.. to the question...

Does this have some of the awesome Japanese drum & percussion ensemble music in it?  The Kumi-daiko or shime-daiko stuff?  Really enjoyed the few that have been in other games.  I'd happily run just that in the background of any wargame!   Because it's amazing. O0

There are 4 battle music.  One tense taiko drum.  One Heroic (Happy as you say).  One Noble.  One sneaky / danger.  Decided not to put classical non-taiko music because they are calm in nature. The rest of the three are generic Asian because the setting is not just Japan.  Sad to say, the music are not historical but more modern and movie-like to catch a wider audience.  Period music does not suit battle.

Modding tip: If you hate the rest and just want the taiko, just delete them form the music folder.  Some said that hearing the taiko for an hour drove them nuts.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 18, 2016, 08:28:45 PM
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 18, 2016, 08:37:37 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 18, 2016, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 18, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
Watched some of Hof's vids and have a question.

The music in the background was of a more happy nature, which was a bit odd to my ears, with a bloody battle raging.   ;D   I normally turn music off, but not so in historically-based games with appropriate cultural music, because that's about the only time music adds to a game's immersion for me.

Anway.. to the question...

Does this have some of the awesome Japanese drum & percussion ensemble music in it?  The Kumi-daiko or shime-daiko stuff?  Really enjoyed the few that have been in other games.  I'd happily run just that in the background of any wargame!   Because it's amazing. O0

There are 4 battle music.  One tense taiko drum.  One Heroic (Happy as you say).  One Noble.  One sneaky / danger.  Decided not to put classical non-taiko music because they are calm in nature. The rest of the three are generic Asian because the setting is not just Japan.  Sad to say, the music are not historical but more modern and movie-like to catch a wider audience.  Period music does not suit battle.

Modding tip: If you hate the rest and just want the taiko, just delete them form the music folder.  Some said that hearing the taiko for an hour drove them nuts.


Yeah, I didn't expect stuff literally from the period.  Often not suitable.  I would've turned off the CK2 music quickly, if it had the true terrible medieval music in it, for example.

They complained after an hour of taiko?  Sounds like those lightweights should just put their "easy listening" Air Supply and Barry Manilow music back on!  This is WAR!  Not Saturday in the Park!   :))

Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2016, 05:23:14 PM
Jomni any plans to cover the Japanese invasion of Korea in the 1590s with a scenario or campaign at some point?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 19, 2016, 06:09:34 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 19, 2016, 05:23:14 PM
Jomni any plans to cover the Japanese invasion of Korea in the 1590s with a scenario or campaign at some point?

It's already in.  A set of Historical Scenarios and a Dynamic Campaign on the Imjin War. It's featured in Das Tactic YouTube channel.
The title is a misnomer but Slitherine prefers a specific reference to Samurai warfare.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 19, 2016, 06:37:56 PM
Wow! Really excited to have that scenario in...and a dynamic campaign! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

EDIT: Jeez am I getting olde. I already asked that above question months ago and it's also listed in the first bullet of game features. Carry on.

:buck2:
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 20, 2016, 09:51:27 AM
Quote from: Gusington on April 19, 2016, 06:37:56 PM
Jeez am I getting olde. I already asked that above question months ago and it's also listed in the first bullet of game features. Carry on.




I also hit my maximum memory storage capacity awhile back, on the gray matter.  Now, every time I learn something new, some of the old stuff has to be erased to make room.  :))
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: spelk on April 20, 2016, 11:14:23 AM
Preview
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2016/04/preview-sengoku-jidai-shadow-of-shogun.html
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 04:32:25 PM
At least it keeps things fresh, all the time, Nef.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 20, 2016, 04:59:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 04:32:25 PM
At least it keeps things fresh, all the time, Nef.

But when my Alzheimer's eventually kicks in, I won't have much of the old memories left to work with!   :crazy2:
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 05:15:06 PM
You'll never be bored!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on April 20, 2016, 05:29:09 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 20, 2016, 04:59:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 04:32:25 PM
At least it keeps things fresh, all the time, Nef.

But when my Alzheimer's eventually kicks in, I won't have much of the old memories left to work with!   :crazy2:
You'll wake up with a new wife everyday!  :D
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 06:18:24 PM
Genius.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 21, 2016, 06:26:57 AM
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2016/04/preview-sengoku-jidai-shadow-of-shogun.html
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: magnus on April 21, 2016, 11:34:48 AM
I can't say much, but if you liked P&S you will love SJ.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 21, 2016, 01:20:56 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 20, 2016, 05:29:09 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 20, 2016, 04:59:23 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2016, 04:32:25 PM
At least it keeps things fresh, all the time, Nef.

But when my Alzheimer's eventually kicks in, I won't have much of the old memories left to work with!   :crazy2:
You'll wake up with a new wife everyday!  :D


And want to Cancel those, too.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 21, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Just a question - is it entirely possible Matrix Games is "going"?

Looking at their Coming Soon list makes for some very dire reading. And the link for this game shoots off to Slitherine's page. Is the takeover merger coming into it's final stages?

Pure speculation and only posted here because I was looking at this game and automatically went to Matrix Games forums to check on it
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 21, 2016, 05:06:28 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 21, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Just a question - is it entirely possible Matrix Games is "going"?

Looking at their Coming Soon list makes for some very dire reading. And the link for this game shoots off to Slitherine's page. Is the takeover merger coming into it's final stages?

Pure speculation and only posted here because I was looking at this game and automatically went to Matrix Games forums to check on it

I don't know. But Sengoku Jidai is a Slitherine product.  It uses the Battle Academy engine which is proprietary to Slitherine.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Thanks Jomni

Matrix still looks very slim on the ground with upcoming games! As does Slitherine actually.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 22, 2016, 04:27:35 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Thanks Jomni

Matrix still looks very slim on the ground with upcoming games! As does Slitherine actually.

They're just two storefronts for the same company. 
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 22, 2016, 06:12:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Thanks Jomni

Matrix still looks very slim on the ground with upcoming games! As does Slitherine actually.

Many are in development but unannounced.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: spelk on April 22, 2016, 05:28:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmOIEX4Fc4oMt6yevb7XyY5O
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on April 22, 2016, 11:07:14 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 21, 2016, 01:32:35 PM
Just a question - is it entirely possible Matrix Games is "going"?

Looking at their Coming Soon list makes for some very dire reading. And the link for this game shoots off to Slitherine's page. Is the takeover merger coming into it's final stages?

Pure speculation and only posted here because I was looking at this game and automatically went to Matrix Games forums to check on it
It's something that was discussed back at the Home of Wargamer's 2014 press conference. Essentially, Matrix and Slitherine are synonymous brands, marketing exactly the same products.

The passwords on all sites are unified.

I think the Matrix brand is on its way out, with Slitherine absorbing it. Really, it has already to all intents and purposes.

As a gamer it really doesn't make any difference to us, as we are talking about essentially the same business just operating two separate brands for the same product. The Matrix brand in these circumstances is redundant.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on April 22, 2016, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 22, 2016, 06:12:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Thanks Jomni

Matrix still looks very slim on the ground with upcoming games! As does Slitherine actually.

Many are in development but unannounced.
+1. This is my understanding too.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 23, 2016, 08:08:24 AM
Quote from: Boggit on April 22, 2016, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: jomni on April 22, 2016, 06:12:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2016, 03:42:17 AM
Thanks Jomni

Matrix still looks very slim on the ground with upcoming games! As does Slitherine actually.

Many are in development but unannounced.
+1. This is my understanding too.

Stay tuned for announcements about Archon.  They might reveal some titles.
http://how16.slitherine.com/news/archon-engine-welcome-to-the-next-generation/
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bickford on April 23, 2016, 08:21:59 AM
Wow, that looks really good. Some exciting things happening on the horizon, can't wait.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 23, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.

This is more than a mod as it does a bit more things than the original Pike and Shot.
And I did not do it alone.  The original dev team is involved.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on April 25, 2016, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 23, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.

This is more than a mod as it does a bit more things than the original Pike and Shot.
And I did not do it alone.  The original dev team is involved.
@Micha :)
I'd just add that Jomni put out a really nice Sengoku Jidai skirmish mod for Pike and Shot free to the gaming community a while before he worked on this project. You may not know about it, but it is still available for download for free if you have Pike and Shot campaigns.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: PipFromSlitherine on April 25, 2016, 06:45:27 PM
Neither the Matrix or Slitherine brands are going anywhere.  They have different focuses and audiences.  We love all our children equally...

Cheers

Pip
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 25, 2016, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: Boggit on April 25, 2016, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 23, 2016, 05:37:19 PM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.

This is more than a mod as it does a bit more things than the original Pike and Shot.
And I did not do it alone.  The original dev team is involved.
@Micha :)
I'd just add that Jomni put out a really nice Sengoku Jidai skirmish mod for Pike and Shot free to the gaming community a while before he worked on this project. You may not know about it, but it is still available for download for free if you have Pike and Shot campaigns.

Well Micha is a very dedicated modder and he has some ideals.   O0
But I was approached by the Slitherine and the dev, Richard Boddley Scott, to take the idea to a bit further. Wouldn't have done it without them.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Hofstadter on April 25, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
Its so hard to try and keep up a commentary in this type of game. A good chunk of it is just waiting for the next turn. Theres a very good reason why I wouldnt record Flashpoint Campaigns XD

Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: salazarus on April 26, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.


I think it's great that devs are helping with making mod into full game. With their help we will get a lot that we ever could get with the mod. And joomni will earn few bucks. Great modders like him deserve to earn some money for job they do.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on April 26, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: salazarus on April 26, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.


I think it's great that devs are helping with making mod into full game. With their help we will get a lot that we ever could get with the mod. And joomni will earn few bucks. Great modders like him deserve to earn some money for job they do.

Agreed.  I'm happy they all got together to do this.

I think Micha was a bit misinformed about what was going on.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on April 26, 2016, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: salazarus on April 26, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.


I think it's great that devs are helping with making mod into full game. With their help we will get a lot that we ever could get with the mod. And joomni will earn few bucks. Great modders like him deserve to earn some money for job they do.

Agreed.  I'm happy they all got together to do this.

I think Micha was a bit misinformed about what was going on.

But in his defense, he is a passionate modder who does things for free.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: PipFromSlitherine on April 27, 2016, 03:25:43 PM
FYI, first faction preview

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72001

Cheers

Pip
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on April 29, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2016, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: salazarus on April 26, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.


I think it's great that devs are helping with making mod into full game. With their help we will get a lot that we ever could get with the mod. And joomni will earn few bucks. Great modders like him deserve to earn some money for job they do.

Agreed.  I'm happy they all got together to do this.

I think Micha was a bit misinformed about what was going on.

But in his defense, he is a passionate modder who does things for free.
+1. Micha is definitely a good guy. O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Micha on April 30, 2016, 05:18:51 AM
Quote from: Boggit on April 29, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
Quote from: jomni on April 26, 2016, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 26, 2016, 10:34:24 AM
Quote from: salazarus on April 26, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
Quote from: Micha on April 23, 2016, 01:12:57 PM
As i know this mod is made by a user, selling his work is a bit sad.


+1. Micha is definitely a good guy. O0

Hello, are you sure about this ? LOL. I assume my wife dont thinks the same.

What i said about the mod was just a thougth. Look at Panzercorps . Modders did many outstanding jobs there. But if they would have selled ther mods to the Panzercorps makers it would be a bad thing for players. I think for many years is an unwritten codex not to sell usermade mods to gamemakers.
But ok, here the situation is a bit different, the creators of the game did a lot to improve this mod .
Anyway i think such deals are exceptions and not really a problem. And if it helps to keep the game alive its ok.
My coment was not forseen to blame anyone, as i said just a thougth.
And for me it dont has any impact. After playing the game a while i removed it from my harddrive. Unfortunatelly i must confess it doesnt gives me long time fun. Cant use to this gamerules. But the game is an amazing work, keep it up. ;)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on May 02, 2016, 01:48:37 AM
It's my understanding that Jomni was approached by the developers with an offer to help create a new game.  Which he has done.

By his earlier post, it appeared that Micha may have thought the devs just pillaged his mod, and ran off with it for the purposes of selling it without Jomni's involvement.  Which is not the case, here.

Simple misunderstanding, I'm sure.   ;)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Micha on May 02, 2016, 03:23:23 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 02, 2016, 01:48:37 AM
It's my understanding that Jomni was approached by the developers with an offer to help create a new game.  Which he has done.

By his earlier post, it appeared that Micha may have thought the devs just pillaged his mod, and ran off with it for the purposes of selling it without Jomni's involvement.  Which is not the case, here.

Simple misunderstanding, I'm sure.   ;)

Maybe you are rigth, so lets finish the diskussion, was just a thougth.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 03, 2016, 04:52:55 AM
Don't know if posted before. Here's a nicely written AAR.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72043
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: panzerde on May 03, 2016, 05:25:50 PM
This is looking really sharp, Jomni. Not only does it look to provide some really great game play with historically accurate armies, the overall look of the game is outstanding. I seem to be buying more board games these days than computer games, but this one will be a definite day one purchase.

Nicely done!  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 03, 2016, 05:43:02 PM
Quote from: panzerde on May 03, 2016, 05:25:50 PM
This is looking really sharp, Jomni. Not only does it look to provide some really great game play with historically accurate armies, the overall look of the game is outstanding. I seem to be buying more board games these days than computer games, but this one will be a definite day one purchase.

Nicely done!  O0

Thanks.  Well the game feels like playing tabletop minis.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on May 03, 2016, 05:46:53 PM
It's nice. O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 03, 2016, 07:51:32 PM
The Art of Command
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 04, 2016, 01:16:21 AM
Only 13 days left  ;)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on May 04, 2016, 05:05:39 PM
Really...May looks to be a busy gaming month. Better lock up my debit cards.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 10, 2016, 04:03:08 AM
Preview. Fairly detailed description on what the game is all about. http://finalbossfight.co.uk/editorial/sengoku-jidai-shadow-shogun/
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: joram on May 10, 2016, 07:04:20 AM
Nice work Jomni.  Am excited to see the fruits of your work.  Even though I've barely touched Pike and Shot, it's note because of two little ones taking my time than the game itself.  This one though I can see having a space on my hard drive for a long time.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 10, 2016, 07:23:44 AM
Quote from: joram on May 10, 2016, 07:04:20 AM
Nice work Jomni.  Am excited to see the fruits of your work.  Even though I've barely touched Pike and Shot, it's note because of two little ones taking my time than the game itself.  This one though I can see having a space on my hard drive for a long time.
If i had known Sengoku was coming out, i would have skipped Pike and Shot....
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 10, 2016, 09:07:35 AM
Slitherine published my AAR: "Tale of the Oda Generals"
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72188
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Boggit on May 11, 2016, 10:44:34 PM
Quote from: jomni on May 10, 2016, 09:07:35 AM
Slitherine published my AAR: "Tale of the Oda Generals"
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72188
I enjoyed reading it. Are you planning on doing any more? O0

"A dead enemy always smells good" (Aulus Vitellius commenting on the unburied dead a few months after the battle of Bedriacum AD69), and in this case a we have a "good Oda" ;)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 13, 2016, 05:14:25 PM
Collectors edition announced.
http://www.slitherine.com/games/sjidaicollector
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on May 13, 2016, 05:36:15 PM
Take my money!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 13, 2016, 06:16:43 PM
Slitherine marketing machine hard at work.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 15, 2016, 09:16:48 PM
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/13/the-flare-path-games-of-hazard/
Some thoughts from RPS
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 18, 2016, 04:23:06 AM
Just...one more day!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 19, 2016, 05:33:42 AM
Well its out...
Must say - looks very interesting and a beautiful looking game....
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on May 19, 2016, 05:53:31 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 19, 2016, 05:33:42 AM
Well its out...
Must say - looks very interesting and a beautiful looking game....

Groovy.

Gonna have to pick this up today.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 19, 2016, 06:10:19 AM
Excellent....going to get it asap.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: joram on May 19, 2016, 06:46:10 AM
Congrats Jomni.  I am sure I will pick it up myself as well but in any event, this is a major accomplishment and hope that you find it rewarding.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:54:19 AM
Congratulations jomni. I will be buying it this weekend too.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 19, 2016, 06:56:19 AM
Thanks.
It's out.
Standard ed: http://www.slitherine.com/games/sjidai
Collector's ed: http://www.slitherine.com/games/sjidaicollector
DLC to bring standard to collectors: http://www.slitherine.com/games/sjidai
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 08:09:58 AM
Another hour until it unlocks on Steam...
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: tgb on May 19, 2016, 08:40:44 AM
The price is lower than I expected, so I'll probably grab it later.  Jomni, di you make any substantial changes to the campaign, or is it pretty much as before?  The strategic level was the one element in the original I found disappointing.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 19, 2016, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: tgb on May 19, 2016, 08:40:44 AM
The price is lower than I expected, so I'll probably grab it later.  Jomni, di you make any substantial changes to the campaign, or is it pretty much as before?  The strategic level was the one element in the original I found disappointing.

It's not too different.  Just different settings and maps with some special rules depending on the campaign.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Tpek on May 19, 2016, 10:35:31 AM
Just purchased the collector's edition from matrix using the 18% off coupon Matrix/Slitherine gave away for their birthday thing. :)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 10:54:59 AM
Is there any reason to purchase from Matrix directly instead of Steam?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 19, 2016, 11:06:29 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 10:54:59 AM
Is there any reason to purchase from Matrix directly instead of Steam?

If you don't want to have your game linked through steam, you should buy it directly through matrix/slitherine.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Philippe on May 19, 2016, 11:32:01 AM
If you buy from Matrix you get the non-steam version and a Steam key, so you end up with two versions of the game, and it gets registered with Slitherine.

You can't register a Steam-only version with Slitherine.

The reason you want to register with Slitherine is that it preserves an independant record of the fact that you own the game.  So if your Steam account ever gets hacked or your house and computer burn down in a fire, you won't have any trouble establishing that you own it.

It's uselful to have two versions if you're testing mods, and patches don't always hit both versions at the same time.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 11:33:37 AM
Makes sense to me. Matrix it is!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on May 19, 2016, 01:13:16 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 10:54:59 AM
Is there any reason to purchase from Matrix directly instead of Steam?

Absolutely.

You get both the Matrix version, just a simple installation key, and a Steam version.  You can activate that key on Steam too.



I prefer having a non-Steam & nearly DRM-Free version I can burn off on DVD-ROM and back up on an external hard drive.  But this is the best of both options.. having my cake & eating it.  8)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 01:16:33 PM
I bought it from Matrix.  8)
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on May 19, 2016, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 01:16:33 PM
I bought it from Matrix.  8)

Cool.

I'm glad their installation keys are now the same code you use to activate on Steam. 

The old system of registering & requesting a separate Steam key off the Slitherine site was a bit odd.  I never liked the non-intuitive layout of the Slitherine site anyway.  Now we don't have to mess with that.   
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 19, 2016, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 19, 2016, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 01:16:33 PM
I bought it from Matrix.  8)

Cool.

I'm glad their installation keys are now the same code you use to activate on Steam. 

The old system of registering & requesting a separate Steam key off the Slitherine site was a bit odd.  I never liked the non-intuitive layout of the Slitherine site anyway.  Now we don't have to mess with that.
This good news indeed!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 19, 2016, 02:01:15 PM
Downloading...banzai!
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: bbmike on May 19, 2016, 04:10:41 PM
Just finished the first tutorial. It was a nail biter but I won! The artwork/graphics are outstanding and the game oozes atmosphere.  O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Anguille on May 19, 2016, 04:25:52 PM
Me too....

Game already jumped into my list of all time favs.... O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 19, 2016, 05:25:12 PM
Thanks.  Someone should change the title of this thread.

I'll be holidaying in Korea next week will be back to answer questions soon.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Asid on May 19, 2016, 06:31:14 PM
Nice one Jomni.  O0
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
Anyone get the super deluxe version?
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: jomni on May 19, 2016, 08:19:46 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
Anyone get the super deluxe version?

It doesn't exist (yet).
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Nefaro on May 19, 2016, 10:19:52 PM
Quote from: jomni on May 19, 2016, 05:25:12 PM
Thanks.  Someone should change the title of this thread.

I'll be holidaying in Korea next week will be back to answer questions soon.

(my bold)


I was thinking the same thing awhile back. 

Should be titled "Sengoku Jidai" instead of 'That Random Upcoming Samurai Game'.  C:-)


Thought about making a new thread, but there is a lot of posts in this one already.
Title: Re: New Samurai Game
Post by: Anguille on May 19, 2016, 11:41:16 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 19, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
Anyone get the super deluxe version?
I took the collector's edition.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: JudgeDredd on May 20, 2016, 12:52:48 AM
Congrats Jomni.

It's on my hit list.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Grimnirsson on May 20, 2016, 07:33:37 AM
Congrats from me too, good job! :)

How many MP scenarios are included in the game?
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on May 20, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
The artistic representation is great.  Love the period-inspired look to the whole game.

I've only played a couple battles thus far, one being the first Tutorial, so I've not even experienced much of the content yet.  But the different armies, units, and their evolving make-up over time, is interesting.  The addition of Generals, and their subordinate divisions, is also great.  Looking forward to the campaigns.

Everything has been running perfectly thus far.  I had to set my laptop's Nvidia card to be the primary video processor manually, as opposed to it's other Intel HD4000.  The mouse cursor was just a but sluggish until I did.  But it's often like that with 2D games, and people with that type of dual video notebook should already know to check which card a new game is using & turn it on manually if needed.

Request:
All I would ask for is some noticeable indicator (such as a small colored dot next to the troop type symbol?  Or different colored facing arrow?) specifying which units still have either half their AP left, or enough to move one space of Open Terrain.  It's difficult to make out the little white facing arrows on the tan terrain, but those also don't specifically differentiate between units with only 2 AP left (not enough to do much of anything) and those with 4 or 5+.  Instead of a visual indicator, I find myself using the Tab hotkey to cycle through those who haven't moved.  Which means I end up cycling through the lot of them numerous times, and mentally re-orient my overall strategy after the map jumps.  I guess I'm saying that I prefer to move the map around & survey the overall battlefield "picture" while activating units, as opposed to cycling through them with the map jumping around.  Not a big deal.. just a convenience request.




Congratulations on a good-looking and enjoyable wargame, Jomni!  I'm digging it.   O0


Next Period?
I wonder where the Pike & Shot/Sengoku Jidai engine (with campaign system) will go next?  I'd really like to see the same treatment given to the Greco-Roman period *hint hint nod nod*.   ^-^  Since the system's focus tends to be on the evolution of historical troop types through certain periods, that has to be high on the hit list! 

Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 20, 2016, 07:56:47 AM
Agree with all the positive comments so far. Very good stuff.

One thing I would like to see is a more obvious graphic indicator of unit condition and strength. As a unit takes casualties, I'd like to see the physical size of the unit get smaller. As it gets disorganized or fragmented, I'd like to see that visually represented, as well, instead of just an "F" and a "D" displayed on top of the unit.  Finally, I doubt we'll ever see it, but how about some bodies on the map tiles after combat?
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: JasonPratt on May 20, 2016, 07:57:56 AM
Bought the basic set. I don't understand what some of the DLC are (pdf rules for tabletop field of glory, I guess??) Will strongly consider the other campaign DLC once I've played this a little.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Anguille on May 20, 2016, 08:01:40 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
Next Period?
I wonder where the Pike & Shot/Sengoku Jidai engine (with campaign system) will go next?  I'd really like to see the same treatment given to the Greco-Roman period *hint hint nod nod*.   ^-^  Since the system's focus tends to be on the evolution of historical troop types through certain periods, that has to be high on the hit list!
I was thinking the same...would be just awesome.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 20, 2016, 08:14:09 AM
Quote from: Anguille on May 20, 2016, 08:01:40 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
Next Period?
I wonder where the Pike & Shot/Sengoku Jidai engine (with campaign system) will go next?  I'd really like to see the same treatment given to the Greco-Roman period *hint hint nod nod*.   ^-^  Since the system's focus tends to be on the evolution of historical troop types through certain periods, that has to be high on the hit list!
I was thinking the same...would be just awesome.

No ... please medieval or dark ages.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Grimnirsson on May 20, 2016, 08:19:35 AM
Sorry, anyone able to give me an answer to may question regarding the number of MP scens in the game?

Thank you...
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2016, 08:26:44 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 20, 2016, 08:19:35 AM
Sorry, anyone able to give me an answer to may question regarding the number of MP scens in the game?

Thank you...

It uses Slitherine's online multiplayer system so I would imagine everything is playable in MP? I saw on the Steam forum that you could play hotseat using their MP system.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on May 20, 2016, 08:28:32 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 20, 2016, 08:19:35 AM
Sorry, anyone able to give me an answer to may question regarding the number of MP scens in the game?

Thank you...

Canned MP scenarios = 14
Skirmish MP scenarios = infinite

Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2016, 08:30:34 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 20, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
Next Period?
I wonder where the Pike & Shot/Sengoku Jidai engine (with campaign system) will go next?  I'd really like to see the same treatment given to the Greco-Roman period *hint hint nod nod*.   ^-^  Since the system's focus tends to be on the evolution of historical troop types through certain periods, that has to be high on the hit list!

I was kind of getting an Age of Rifles vibe when I was playing through the tutorial.  :smitten:
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Grimnirsson on May 20, 2016, 08:38:43 AM
QuoteCanned MP scenarios = 14

Thanks!
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2016, 09:25:35 AM
This system an go in many different directions...my choice would be medieval, Dark Age or 19th century age of imperialism.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Steelgrave on May 20, 2016, 09:32:02 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 20, 2016, 09:25:35 AM
This system an go in many different directions...my choice would be medieval, Dark Age or 19th century age of imperialism.

This
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2016, 11:33:47 AM
^Didn't I more or less say that?  ::)
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
^Not like I did :)
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Steelgrave on May 20, 2016, 06:12:40 PM
Quote from: bbmike on May 20, 2016, 08:30:34 AM
I was kind of getting an Age of Rifles vibe when I was playing through the tutorial.  :smitten:

This.

Feel better now, bbmike?   O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: bbmike on May 20, 2016, 06:18:17 PM
Yeah, but that's mostly from the Lagavulin 16 I'm having right now.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on May 20, 2016, 07:38:22 PM
^He's so difficult.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: WallysWorld on May 20, 2016, 11:55:19 PM
Bought the Collector's Edition of the game along with Pike and Shot: Campaigns. Just played around with both for a little while and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

Got lucky as I had a coupon for Matrix Games and saved almost 40% on both games.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: kludger on May 22, 2016, 04:08:55 PM
I picked up the collector's edition and am glad I did, really enjoying the ebooks that come with it as good background for the time period, especially the Empires of the Dragon one which has alot of historical factions from Asia that I was not familiar with  O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: panzerde on May 27, 2016, 09:47:01 AM
Finally found the time to grab this yesterday. Very, very impressed, both by the look of the game and the changes/improvements to the engine. I suspect this will get a lot of play this weekend.


I really, really hope we're going to see a back port of the changes into Pike & Shot. The addition of leaders and command factors is exactly what I've always thought was missing from the earlier game. I'd have much rather seen those added than the campaign system. Now that I've seen them in Sengoku Jidai it really feels like P&S is just...broken.


This engine is now a really great engine for ancients up through early modern, and I hope we'll see it expanded to cover other eras.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Raied on May 27, 2016, 10:46:57 AM
I got it also, even though I dont like Japan/ Asian setting, bought it originally because I love P&S and also to support Matrix as usual, but turn out I start to like the setting due to this great engine.
I hope as many said that they will do different historic eras for their next game, the system is just amazing.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on May 31, 2016, 02:31:38 AM
Some thoughts from Richard, the guy who wrote Field of Glory / Pike & Shot / Sengoku Jidai rules. 
This addressed a common complaint about automatically pursuing routed units and lack of control.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72459
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on May 31, 2016, 10:50:25 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 31, 2016, 02:31:38 AM
Some thoughts from Richard, the guy who wrote Field of Glory / Pike & Shot / Sengoku Jidai rules. 
This addressed a common complaint about automatically pursuing routed units and lack of control.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72459

Historically accurate.

People don't like losing control, in video games.  Obviously.  But I also think the effect has been minimized in the P&S/SJ series.  Uncontrolled dispute doesn't take the pursuing unit(s) out of the battle as long as it often did historically.   

Good balance between control-freaking in a digital wargame, and portraying a common battlefield issue in line battles throughout history.  O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on June 16, 2016, 03:38:57 AM
Patch out.

Hi all! We are releasing a patch for Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun today, bringing the game to version 1.2.7. It mainly consists of bugfixes, but the developers are now focusing on bigger changes! Stay tuned for more news.

The patch can be downloaded here.

Changelog
1. Added advanced option to show "moved" icons for units that have moved. (Default is off, so you need to turn it on in Options > Advanced Options).
2. Corrected army lists used in Sekigahara Campaign.
3. Corrected bug that allowed General to join gun limbers.
4. Corrected bug that might allow duplicate general names in campaign.
5. Corrected weaponry of Manchu Banner Chong skirmishers.
6. Corrected points cost of Above Average Manchu Banner and Green Standard Bubing.
7. Made Game Manual button work in Slitherine launcher.
8. Stopped Split Army from splitting off army (and leaving an empty army) if all units moved to right window in Split Army screen

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=72645


Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on June 16, 2016, 12:04:41 PM
 O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Anguille on June 17, 2016, 02:18:20 AM
Nice!

Curious to know what the bigger changes are going to be.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on June 17, 2016, 03:19:08 AM
Quote from: Anguille on June 17, 2016, 02:18:20 AM
Nice!

Curious to know what the bigger changes are going to be.

Yeah.  Marketing is putting us in a spot here.  :buck2:
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on July 04, 2016, 09:20:35 PM
New patch.
AI improvements
Green map option

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=72848
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on July 05, 2016, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 04, 2016, 09:20:35 PM
New patch.
AI improvements
Green map option

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=72848



O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on July 20, 2016, 05:14:00 PM
DLC Announced.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slitherine.com%2Ffiles%2Fspotlight%2F538_image.jpg&hash=f889d2e0c95806244699812b9147f3aed0b50696)
http://www.slitherine.com/products/639/details/SengokuJidai:GempeiKassen
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on July 20, 2016, 07:33:45 PM
Nice! Did you work on this too?
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on July 20, 2016, 07:53:47 PM
Yes. Including that drawing.
It's the same team. Me and Byzantine Games' Richard Bodley Scott
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: panzerde on July 20, 2016, 08:34:39 PM
Cool. I've always actually been more interested in this period than the Sengoku Jidai. With all the DLC you've done you really seem to be covering the Japanese feudal period well.

Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on July 20, 2016, 08:43:34 PM
A traditional artist too...impressive.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on July 20, 2016, 09:24:53 PM
Warfare is a bit different during this time. Lots of arrows flying.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on July 21, 2016, 01:22:22 AM
Quote from: jomni on July 20, 2016, 09:24:53 PM
Warfare is a bit different during this time. Lots of arrows flying.


Then we shall fight in the shade?

:))
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Anguille on July 21, 2016, 04:11:29 AM
That was fast!
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on August 04, 2016, 08:14:47 PM
Battle AAR on the upcoming DLC.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=421&t=73374
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on August 12, 2016, 05:31:32 PM
RPS Flare Path:  Sengoku Jidai (and other games) Giveaway.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/12/the-flare-path-a-flush-of-foxers/
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on September 03, 2016, 05:30:27 AM
Release date of Gempei Kassen DLC is 9 Sept.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on September 08, 2016, 05:13:29 PM
DLC is out.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on September 08, 2016, 06:13:53 PM
You guys didn't waste time cranking this out.  I've still yet to delve into much of the base game.   :)
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on September 08, 2016, 08:51:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 08, 2016, 06:13:53 PM
You guys didn't waste time cranking this out.  I've still yet to delve into much of the base game.   :)

There's a bigger one coming. :P
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Nefaro on September 09, 2016, 07:13:17 AM
Quote from: jomni on September 08, 2016, 08:51:01 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 08, 2016, 06:13:53 PM
You guys didn't waste time cranking this out.  I've still yet to delve into much of the base game.   :)

There's a bigger one coming. :P


Gonna keep me busy!

It's a good problem to have.  O0
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on September 09, 2016, 12:01:15 PM
Bigger?? TELL US...
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on September 09, 2016, 05:49:24 PM
Announced.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slitherine.com%2Ffiles%2Fspotlight%2F566_image.jpg&hash=4cae8084e5cc7bd04832b4961060ed2c8e2ed359)

Mandate of Heaven product page.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/644/details/Sengoku.Jidai:.Mandate.of.Heaven

Call for Beta.
http://www.slitherine.com/beta/cnda.asp?gid=644




By the way, those who don't get the Gempei Kassen DLC will still get these improvements (1.2.9 patch)
Quote
1. Added Steppe map type for skirmishes, campaigns and editor random maps.
2. Added descriptive tooltip to unit entries in campaign Split Army screen.
3. Added new icons for Tribal Rebels.
4. Campaign battle map widths increased for larger armies – to minimise deployment restrictions.
5. In campaign battles ending at the time limit, the side that is winning at the time limit will now win the battle (and hence force the enemy army to retreat) in reinforcement battles. (Instead of the side that waited for reinforcements automatically winning as previously).
6. In campaign battles ending at the time limit with no routs on either side, or equal routs on both sides, the defending side will win, and the invader will retreat. The defending side is the side that was in the province first, whether or not it actually owns the province. (Previously the defender would sometimes retreat after a no-score drawn battle).
7. Stopped AI in campaign battles being so contemptuous of a very small player army that it does not bother to advance at all.
8. Improved AI logic in Sengoku Jidai Campaign.
9. Pasture tiles now take blended edge in editor.
10. Corrected bug that stopped Cancel button from working in MP lobby "waiting" UI. (This button only appears when downloading/uploading an MP turn takes longer than 1 minute.)
11. Made unit icons show correctly when reinforcements arrive in Kawanakajima and Sekigahara scenarios.
12. Corrected bug that could cause anomalies when campaign army exceeds 64 units.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Gusington on September 09, 2016, 06:58:14 PM
Most excellent and something I have been waiting for forever! GIGGITY
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: DennisS on September 09, 2016, 07:07:12 PM
I have Pike and Shot: Campaigns. Someone convince me to purchase this one. Please.
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: Steelgrave on September 09, 2016, 10:20:13 PM
Moved my own question to the Pike and Shot thread where it belongs. Carry on!
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on October 25, 2016, 06:42:39 AM
Tibet vs. Qing AAR / Preview
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=74355
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.matrixgames.com%2Famazon%2FScreenshots%2FMandate%2F1.jpg&hash=76de0356b518babc69a1ce0114aaf0fdb66c2ba0)
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on November 02, 2016, 05:46:44 PM
Mandate of Heaven DLC is out.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/644/details/Sengoku.Jidai:.Mandate.of.Heaven

Faction Preview.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=404&t=74468
Title: Re: Sengoku Jidai combined thread
Post by: jomni on November 16, 2016, 09:26:13 PM
After less than a year, the DLC list in Steam has now become a long list reminiscent of Paradox. Well that's how the publisher wants it apparently.  A new package called Sengoku Jidai Gold is now available in Steam which has all current content at a reasonable price.

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2006/y