GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: solops on January 23, 2016, 01:44:59 PM

Title: The Viceroy
Post by: solops on January 23, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
I recently spotted a game called "The Viceroy" on Steam that intrigues me. Does anyone know anything about it? Supposedly there is an update and sale on the way in Q1 2016.
Title: Re: The Viceroy
Post by: tgb on January 23, 2016, 04:18:34 PM
Quote from: solops on January 23, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
I recently spotted a game called "The Viceroy" on Steam that intrigues me. Does anyone know anything about it? Supposedly there is an update and sale on the way in Q1 2016.

I bought it at release.  It's not your typical 4X, but instead you play a bureaucrat brought in to restore equilibrium in the galaxy.  You do this by enacting different pieces of legislation.

The ineffective interface, insane levels of micromanagement, and unclear documentation made it an exercise in tedium.  I wonder that changes the patch will bring.
Title: Re: The Viceroy
Post by: solops on January 23, 2016, 05:51:15 PM
Well, not what I was hoping to hear. It is up to v1.8. Where was it when you played? They may have made substantial improvements already. The idea looks pretty good from the website.
Title: Re: The Viceroy
Post by: jomni on January 23, 2016, 06:50:59 PM
I thought it's about the British empire.  So I'll pass.
Title: Re: The Viceroy
Post by: Martok on January 24, 2016, 03:12:58 PM
There was a thread about this game in the Explorminate forums.  I seem to recall the general consensus was that the game had some neat ideas, but failed pretty hard in the execution. 

Title: Re: The Viceroy
Post by: tgb on January 24, 2016, 05:01:40 PM
Quote from: solops on January 23, 2016, 05:51:15 PM
Well, not what I was hoping to hear. It is up to v1.8. Where was it when you played? They may have made substantial improvements already. The idea looks pretty good from the website.

I played for a week or two right after release and haven't touched it since.  It may very well be worth taking a second look.

[edit] OK. Looking at the Steam forums it appears some positive changes have been made, but quite enough.  I will be keeping an eye on the upcoming mega-patch, however.